The new Battlestar Galatica series

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    I don't understand the side story with the pilot and the female Cylon on the occupied home-world. What is the plot point there? Does it come from the miniseries? Because I only got to see the last hour or so of the pilot, so far.

• Reply 22 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

- Use of English as well as use of Arabic numbers

Is this merely convenience, that in the context of the story they are actually "alien" and we are merely seeing it in English for our sake?

I think the mythical sanctuary or whatever they are heading to (trying to find) is Earth. I think the idea is that they are humans way in the future and have long lost contact with their point of origin. I wathced the pilot over a year ago, so I don't know how much I'm making this up and how much was said.
  • Reply 23 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

I don't understand the side story with the pilot and the female Cylon on the occupied home-world. What is the plot point there? Does it come from the miniseries? Because I only got to see the last hour or so of the pilot, so far.

I think it is still brewing..... The Cylons are up to somethng and we are all watching- waiting for the day the poor slob gets the bad news. Another copy of Blondy is always in the shadows... I think it also helps remind the viewers that the Asian woman (I haven't gotten the names down yet-can you tell?) is a Cylon (if the intro isn't enough of a reminder). We have two of her to play with, so it will be interesting to see what they do with her (them). It is an interesting internal struggle to watch as a Cylon, who thnks she is human, trys to deny the growing evidence that she is a Cylon. They could take this down the road of when does a robot (android) become a human, ala Asimov's robots or Data on Star Trek.
  • Reply 24 of 85
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

Isn't it part of the nonlinear story line?
  • Reply 25 of 85
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    this is one of the best Sci Fi series Ive ever seen.

Been downloading every episode of Season 1 as they came out. The end of Season 1 is quite a shocker.

I ordered the DVD of the "teaser" mini series from the UK and will have it in a few days. Just amazing.

Heck, I even bought the soundtrack from the skyone.co.uk website...

the physics and stuff are great, the CGI is awesome, and the chick that plays with the mind of the professor drives me nuts... i just want to kill her!!!

anyway, am looking forward to Season 2!!!!
  • Reply 26 of 85
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I think the mythical sanctuary or whatever they are heading to (trying to find) is Earth. I think the idea is that they are humans way in the future and have long lost contact with their point of origin. I wathced the pilot over a year ago, so I don't know how much I'm making this up and how much was said.

I know they are humans and that Earth is basically a lost colony but English and Arabic numerals are essentially arbitrary creations based on thousands of years of cultural change on Earth that would never occur elsewhere exactly the same way.

It's not like English and Arabic numbers were some alien's language first, then it migrated here, since English is an amalgam on so many other older languages.

Now hieroglyphs or sanskrit or something, I could see.

I'm hoping it's merely English to our eyes for convenience (which is contrary to most sci-fi).
  • Reply 27 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kung Fu Guy

The mini series was so-so. It looked like a spin-off from Babylon 5, Andromeda, Stargate, etc..... I missed the mythlogical undertones of the original show. .

Theyrll be a LOT more of the "mythical" as you go along, no worries. Give it some time.

It is true however that I never really got the feeling of despair and the feeling "THESE ARE ALL THAT IS LEFT OF AN ENTIRE SPECIES". They coulda played that aspect a bit more

Admiral Adama is great. Hes by far the strongest character, and has to be.

Heh, kinda reminds of me Miami Vice in space or something... except the suits look a helluva lot better
  • Reply 28 of 85
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    This thread is heading for a spoiler. I'll read it again after the first season.
  • Reply 29 of 85
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    YUCK!

I loved Battlestar Galactica when I was a kid, even if it was corny. It was science fiction and it was fun.

I didn't get past the first 30 minutes. Starbuck as a woman?! Give me a break! And not just a woman, but one that looks like a man with boobs, smokes cigars and is as abrasive as they get. I mean, in the old series, Starbuck was a rascal--smoked, drank, womanized, gambled--but at least he was charming in a bad boy kinda way. And it's not like a woman has to be a "man with a boobs" to be tough; just look at Aeryn on Farscape.

And then in less than 30 minutes there were no less than 3 sex scenes. Yeah, just what I watch TV for.

Disappointed doesn't even begin to cover it.
  • Reply 30 of 85
    I think it's great, i just want all the weird Earth parallels to be explained. Sadly I think they are merely shrugged off by the developers.

21 gun salute, flag folding, oriental rugs, glass bricks, 1950's-esque toaster...etc etc....everything is so based on Earth objects...no attempt to create alternate/"alien looking" versions of such objects.
  • Reply 31 of 85
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

I think it's great, i just want all the weird Earth parallels to be explained. Sadly I think they are merely shrugged off by the developers.

21 gun salute, flag folding, oriental rugs, glass bricks, 1950's-esque toaster...etc etc....everything is so based on Earth objects...no attempt to create alternate/"alien looking" versions of such objects.

Don't all of those effects build an undertone bond between the show and audience?

I'd rather see "GALACTICA" written on the ship vs. "*&^^%$!"

Still enjoying it. Seven months from now, they're going to hold an election in space. Mods, better prepare the Apple Insider Space-Political-Outsider Forum

"ABR: Anybody But Roslin!"

"Out The Airlock Without Her Sock!"

"What Would Zarek Do?"

Aries 1B
  • Reply 32 of 85
    Red ships and blue ships. Oh my!

JohnQ-I know what you are saying, but I think you may be asking a bit much from a TV series produced by a medium sized cable channel.

Pure SciFi, were one tries to accurately describe an unseen world or predict the future is rare even in book form. Nearly all of it has to make unlikely assumptions or borrow too heavily from the present. Star Trek is a great example. Fun show, but there is no reasonable possibility that transporters and warp speed will ever happen. Don't get me even started on all the genetic resequencing that can go on in a couple of hours.

I'm happy if BG just gives me some good stories with good acting.
  • Reply 33 of 85
    Quote:

-Pesky 4x3 displays.

Seems like no matter what series we have, 4x3 is dominant and never 16x9 or indeed any other aspect ratio. My biggest sci-fi pet peeve

The last season of Farscape was filmed in 16 x 9.

I've only seen one episode of BG, but I liked what I saw.
  • Reply 34 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by DiscoCow

The last season of Farscape was filmed in 16 x 9.

No I mean the screens in the show, indeed most "future"/"alien" sci-fi shows, are 4x3 screens. They should/could be anything, square, 16x9-ish....other ratios.

Laziness and cheap set budgets usually are the reasons.
  • Reply 35 of 85
    Oh, I'm happy with the series but it is very distracting to see Earthlike objects and rites.

The old series had less of a budget yet they managed to mostly retain a non-Earth aura around everything.

As it is I'm waiting to see a floppy diskette or DVD player or PS2 on the set.

Unless they write into the story that various inventors on Earth were really just descendants of the original tribe leaking out pre-existing technology over the ages as "new"...

It's been done, but...
  • Reply 36 of 85
    Quote:

No I mean the screens in the show, indeed most "future"/"alien" sci-fi shows, are 4x3 screens. They should/could be anything, square, 16x9-ish....other ratios.

What, like this?

• Reply 37 of 85
    ok, just DONT friggen pay attention to earthlike resemplances.

The "marines" are just SWAT black soldiers carrying P90 machine guns with silencers... I somehow doubt they woulda made the same guns in parallel galaxy.

But only me and a few others would actually know what gun model it is or whatnot... just enjoy the show.

It gets better n better...
  • Reply 38 of 85
    I'm simply talking about an interesting quirk to the show (and trying to rationalize it). I said plenty of times that I like the show nonetheless (which is the usual mandatory disclaimer to stave off fanboy wrath).

I'm not harping, I'm discussing. Ratchet the defensiveness down a notch or two ok?
  • Reply 39 of 85
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    Don't cry about the details, as Steve has said, it's all about story story story, they could have done this with stick figures and it would still be interesting.
  • Reply 40 of 85
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebrie

Don't cry about the details, as Steve has said, it's all about story story story, they could have done this with stick figures and it would still be interesting.

It's only because I care about the core concept of the Battlestar Galactica story, that I give a whit about such details in this case.

This isn't Alien, Starship Troopers, Stargate SG1 or even Star Trek, where I could shrug it off and go "well, it's the future and they -are from- Earth". But they aren't from Earth in this story.

Such details do and should matter considering the "story story story".

The story story story is that these humans have had no contact with Earth, ever, so there should be an attempt to depict that visually though separate evolution of tools and rituals; as similar yet different as any culture on Earth is to another. Yes, similar themes develop but there are some wild variations too.

Whatever, it's done. Perhaps the story has changed and it'll be explained away....Maybe there is a black market trading route. The "Colonial" rulers of Earth might have dumbed down Earth societies for millennia, retaining the advanced technologies for themselves, so none of the things "invented" on Earth were really invented so much as introduced. So all that junk that looks "Earthlike" to me in Galactica/Caprica is really from the 12 colonies to begin with.

Something like that would be fun.