PowerMac - Anyone else waiting?

Comments

• Reply 521 of 632
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwdawso

It's an AGP card, which is not compatbile with PCI-E.

My bad. His incorrect punctuation lead me to believe he said something else.

Once I re-red it I figured it out.

But anyway, thats why you would sell it. Because it's not going to work in your new Mac.
  • Reply 522 of 632
    Gosh, so what happens to the guys that just spent $7995

on a ProTools HD card?

I guess Apple could offer an all new total A/V workstation

to handle these issues.
  • Reply 523 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

Gosh, so what happens to the guys that just spent $7995

on a ProTools HD card?

I guess Apple could offer an all new total A/V workstation

to handle these issues.

That would be a Digidesign problem not an Apple one. Digidesign is who you should be complaining to. Avid had to do the exact same thing when the G5 was introduced, and the M-AUDIO Revolution 7.1 surround card didn't work in it. There was #1 no more PCI slot, # 2 it was a brand new card that people just bought.
  • Reply 524 of 632
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

That would be a Digidesign problem not an Apple one. Digidesign is who you should be complaining to. Avid had to do the exact same thing when the G5 was introduced, and the M-AUDIO Revolution 7.1 surround card didn't work in it. There was #1 no more PCI slot, # 2 it was a brand new card that people just bought.

How much experience do you have with PCI vs PCI-X? All but 1 of my PCI legacy cards worked JUST fine in my dual 2.0 with PCI-X slots. You do know that PCI-X is backwards compatible right?
  • Reply 525 of 632
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

How much experience do you have with PCI vs PCI-X? All but 1 of my PCI legacy cards worked JUST fine in my dual 2.0 with PCI-X slots. You do know that PCI-X is backwards compatible right?

That is really good to hear. Is there a compatibility list somewhere which shows which cards work and which ones don't?
  • Reply 526 of 632
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

That is really good to hear. Is there a compatibility list somewhere which shows which cards work and which ones don't?

Probably but I don't know where its at. I used a Siig Raid card, an ATI 7000, and a VERY OLD ata 33 card to hook up an ATA drive for a few days.
  • Reply 527 of 632
    jsnuff1jsnuff1 Posts: 37member
    ok guys lets get back on topic and continue praying to the apple gods for this damn PM update
  • Reply 528 of 632
    inakainaka Posts: 29member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jsnuff1

ok guys lets get back on topic and continue praying to the apple gods for this damn PM update

I'm with ya. This delay in getting a PM update is rediculous at this point. There's never been this much of a delay between updates for their top-of-the-line machines, has there??
  • Reply 529 of 632
    rc44rc44 Posts: 6member
    Yes, this thread totally got hijacked. So what are the new release predictions? I hope we don't have to wait until WWDC. And what bothers me is, even when they "announce" new PMs, it will almost be inevitable that the top-end model won't ship for a few months out past that date. So we could be looking at August (heaven forbid) I've been waiting since Jan- now I'm starting to think I should've just gone and bought a dual 2.5...
  • Reply 530 of 632
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I really hope the PM update includes a slightly shorter version. Perhaps they could leave off the bottom bracket feet thingies (technical term). The current PMs are about 5cm too tall compared to standard brand (HP/IBM/DELL) machines.

Its not as though they are particuarly expandable either. Only 1 slot for a CD drive.

Dobby.
  • Reply 531 of 632
    gullivergulliver Posts: 122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rc44

Yes, this thread totally got hijacked. So what are the new release predictions? I hope we don't have to wait until WWDC. And what bothers me is, even when they "announce" new PMs, it will almost be inevitable that the top-end model won't ship for a few months out past that date. So we could be looking at August (heaven forbid) I've been waiting since Jan- now I'm starting to think I should've just gone and bought a dual 2.5...

I believe we will have to wait another 2 weeks. It does not make any sense to ship new PMs now with 10.3.8 or 10.3.9 with 10.4 Tiger just around the corner - and 10.3.x might not even support the new machines due to the lack of hardware drivers. Assuming that 10.4 was really declared golden master last Thursday it might take 2-3 weeks to get the software install&restore DVDs produced. Apple will most probably preinstall from their own disks but still the software install disks must physically ship with the computer.

Just a guess...
  • Reply 532 of 632
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rc44

And what bothers me is, even when they "announce" new PMs, it will almost be inevitable that the top-end model won't ship for a few months out past that date.

That's the fuckiest thing about this - probably all the models will be months on order. At least a month to get any reviews. And that's not even taking into account any Universities that pre-order a few thousand to build their supercomputer with.

And by THAT time, you might as well stick it out for the quad core cell G6!!!
  • Reply 533 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Talk about dodging the point. As usual you completely obscure the point of this. It's not an Apple problem. It's Yours.

But nevertheless, why would this card not work in a PCI-X slot? Do you suddenly think Apple is going to move to an All PCI-E configuration when there are no cards other than Graphics cards that are using it right now? All I ever said they wont keep an AGP slot when they move to PCI-E.
  • Reply 534 of 632
    dave jdave j Posts: 84member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

That's the fuckiest thing about this - probably all the models will be months on order. At least a month to get any reviews. And that's not even taking into account any Universities that pre-order a few thousand to build their supercomputer with.

And by THAT time, you might as well stick it out for the quad core cell G6!!!

... and in the meantime use...? Would be nice to pull a Rip Van Winkle and sleep for the next 30 years waking up only when a PM update is announced AND shipping.
  • Reply 535 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave J

... and in the meantime use...? Would be nice to pull a Rip Van Winkle and sleep for the next 30 years waking up only when a PM update is announced AND shipping.

And maybe in the meantime get on and use what you have? Unless you don't own a Mac at all, in which case it is a long wait
  • Reply 536 of 632
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by inaka

I'm with ya. This delay in getting a PM update is ridiculous at this point. There's never been this much of a delay between updates for their top-of-the-line machines, has there??

Yes, during the Motorola years. Back when Moto had Apple's nuts in a vice, I think there was an 18 month span between Powermac updates, and that was after a regressive update. What happened was Apple announced Powermac G4s ranging from 400-500 MHz, but then Moto screwed them and they had to revise the Powermacs to 350-450 MHz. Then after a while, I forget how long, there was an "update" to the original 400-500 MHz, and then there was another 18 month wait for faster Powermacs (IIRC, still at 500 MHz, but duals).

The current wait is nothing. At least with IBM we know that we're waiting for something that will actually materialize, and that it will rock when we get it. With Motorola, there was always the possibility that they would screw Apple over again, and leave Mac users holding their schlongs in their hands. I mean, just look at Freescale, they're still on a 200 MHz FSB! If not for Jobs getting IBM on board, Apple would be doomed!
  • Reply 537 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave J

I guess you missed my post about Apple's newest application

for rumor junkies.

iComa
  • Reply 538 of 632
    dave jdave j Posts: 84member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

I guess you missed my post about Apple's newest application

for rumor junkies.

iComa

Sorry Fallen - yeah I missed it. We're thinking alike.

Junkyard's posts (in this and the other 'waiting' thread) do help ease the frustration a bit and are appreciated but this constant scrabbling for a tidbit of good news - a morsel - is DRAINING.
  • Reply 539 of 632
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

..., just look at Freescale, they're still on a 200 MHz FSB! ...

I thought they were still on a 167 MHz FSB, when did they move to 200 MHz.?

• Reply 540 of 632
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

I thought they were still on a 167 MHz FSB, when did they move to 200 MHz.?

This will happen when the 7448 enters production. See here. If I am not mistaken, the CHUD version that included reference to the 970MP (and which Apple removed quickly), had also a reference to the 7448. So the thing is real and under test in Apple. It is quite probable that we will see it in the Powerbooks by this autumn.