News Flash: Mac OS X 10.4.2 around the corner

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Hm. Interesting. Have you tried a custom install? You can choose what to install there, and you can pick X11 to be installed together with the OS.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    brian greenbrian green Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Hm. Interesting. Have you tried a custom install? You can choose what to install there, and you can pick X11 to be installed together with the OS.

Gene Clean, with the discs that came with the new iMac, no. When I insert the first disc (there are two) I can either archive and install or wipe the drive and install. Those are the only two options. There are no custom install buttons to be seen.

Next I'm writing Apple and asking them why they chose to omit it from the iMac distro. ts of people use X11 for Gimp and Open Office and not having X11 makes our lives rather difficult.
  • Reply 63 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimbo123

My opinion is tiger needs a lot of resources and the more powerful mac the better. I wouldn't like to run tiger on a G4 processor unless I had a lot of memory and a good graphics card.

I can't comment on past OS X versions but I remember testing all the different macs at a local store and found all the macs running 256mb just was too slow

even the powerbooks with 512mb just was not a patch on the PM.

For me its simple tiger really needs 512 ram with a G5 processor and at least

128mb Graphics card.

Not ture at all. I run it on an iBook G4, 1.2GHz, 768mb RAM (2100) and the 32mb Radeon Mobility 9200, and it is much faster than 10.3.9. I have tried the PM G5's at the store, and yes they are faster. But for everyday stuff, a G5 is still fast enough.

As for bugs, I got Tiger when it came out, do agree that 10.4.1 seemed to be slower than 10.4.0. But a little birdie has told me that 10.4.2 is MUCH faster than 10.3.9, 10.4.0, or 10.4.1. It is a lot more stable, and everything is just snappier.

This was mentioned earlier, but Sptolight indexes ALL my documents, including Word, Excel, etc. Also, for those who hate going through all taht stuff, you can check what Sptolight will search for and what order it shows up in System Preferences.
  • Reply 64 of 74
    danielctulldanielctull Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew Yohe

WHYYYYYY

The dashboard is a subprocess of the dock.. if you have no widgets open then it uses NO MEMORY.. the dock uses under 5mb alone.

Are you one of the people who also hates the dock?

Dashboard allows me access to all of my chosen widgets a once.

To allow me to save memory, I must close widgets (opening the widget dock and clicking the X that appears on the widget).

When I want widgets I have to drag them out again (opening the widget dock, dragging onto the dashboard & watching the splash).

See how awkward that is? How about an option in the pref pane to say that every time I go out of dashboard, it shuts down all it's tasks. Pressing F12 launches dashboard as per the first time, showing all of my previously opened widgets...

PS. I love the dock, I don't see the relevance there even if Dashboard is a subprocess, I just want the maximum capabilities of my machine to go on tasks which I am focused on.
  • Reply 65 of 74
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brian Green

Gene Clean, with the discs that came with the new iMac, no. When I insert the first disc (there are two) I can either archive and install or wipe the drive and install. Those are the only two options. There are no custom install buttons to be seen.

Next I'm writing Apple and asking them why they chose to omit it from the iMac distro. ts of people use X11 for Gimp and Open Office and not having X11 makes our lives rather difficult.

Yes, write to them, and they may have an explanation although I don't see why thye omitted X11 and made it impossible to install it as an add-on.

Sorry for not being of much help to you and good luck.
  • Reply 66 of 74
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    I find 10.4.1 to be equally as fast as 10.3.9 on my 600MHz G3 iBook (640M of RAM). No Quartz Extreme before; none after. As expected, but maybe that is why I see no real difference.

The only reason I upgraded was to get Xcode 2.0 and the new frameworks to work with.

I did an upgrade install over my 10.3.9 install and it worked fine. It was doing about 30% CPU usage sitting idle and hitting the hard drive continuously until I disabled/upgraded several third party utilities and drivers. I forget what wasn't playing nice though.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

To allow me to save memory, I must close widgets (opening the widget dock and clicking the X that appears on the widget).

You do not have to open the widget dock bar to close a widget. Just click on a widget that you want to close and hold the Option key. It will show the close button ("x") for that one widget.
  • Reply 68 of 74
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Custom install choice comes later in the process. It's a button on the lower left.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

And spotlight - no easy way to index files, can't be turned off.

Spotlight indexes files on the fly, dude, no reason to "index" something manually. You can turn off indexing for items in the get info pane.
  • Reply 70 of 74
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    You can also prevent indexing by simply adding your HD to the privacy section in the Spotlight prefs.
  • Reply 71 of 74
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

my system profiler shows that my ati mobility radeon 9200 32mb supports Quartz Extreme

The contrary should have you worried. The requirements for Quartz Extreme have been fixed from the Jaguar era and they are pretty minimal for today's hardware (Geforce2 or AGP Radeon card with at least 16 MB VRAM).

The requirements for Quartz 2D Extreme are considerably higher though.
  • Reply 72 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

OK let me get this straight. They did NOT increase the Quartz Extreme reqs, right? It would still be on for a 867mhz PowerBook G4 12" right? I just can't use Quartz 2D.

Right. Look here.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    Quote:

Next I'm writing Apple and asking them why they chose to omit it from the iMac distro.

That's nice and good, but in the meantime you can try Pacifist to inspect the content of the packages included in the system DVDs. Maybe you will find somewhere what you are looking for.
  • Reply 74 of 74
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

The contrary should have you worried. The requirements for Quartz Extreme have been fixed from the Jaguar era and they are pretty minimal for today's hardware (Geforce2 or AGP Radeon card with at least 16 MB VRAM).

The requirements for Quartz 2D Extreme are considerably higher though.

ohhhh okay, quartz extreme and quartz 2d extreme are slightly different.

cool thanks.

i've force-enabled quartz 2d extreme now though, a bit of a pickup in snappiness, no artifacts or problems so far