Paris expo: speculation thread

Comments

• Reply 101 of 153
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:

Originally posted by namachtag

I bet they will release a PB G5's (freescale chip)...

I've never heard of a G5 chip coming from Freescale. Might you mean a G5 from IBM or a G4 from Freescale?
  • Reply 102 of 153
    you are right on the freescale... my bad, i really only focus my attention on PM threads, with so much talk of intel, ibm, motorola and freescale... like some say, I really don't care what chip manufacturer it is running just as long as it is smoking fast over the current PM line, and not another let down like in the past events. I guess the PB followers have more to complain about!
  • Reply 103 of 153
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    The Tiger update to the PM line was very good in terms of many things such as dual layer dvd drives, more hd space, etc, but, of course, only a boost in terms of proccessors.
  • Reply 104 of 153
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    What about the iPod phone?
  • Reply 105 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

If they emphasize portables, we'll see a PowerBook update. The 7448 is supposed to offer up to a 25% clock speed boost at the same power/thermal capabilities, so 2 GHz isn't out of the realm of possibility.

I don't see Apple doing a 2Ghz G4 Powerbook for the simple reason that most people (wrongly) believe the CPU clock speed represents the performance of the computer. With the fastest Yonah chip being a little over 2Ghz, I don't see the G4 PB getting a 7448 faster than 1.8Ghz.

I back up my thoughts with the recent iBook and Mac Mini updates. The iBook got an absolute minimal processor update. The Mini didn't get any. Why? Because many expect the iBook and the Mini to get the entry level single core Yonah chip which is only 1.6 Ghz.

Apple need to show the people who see clock speed as the sole performance indicator of a computer that the Intel Macs are faster than the PowerPC Macs.
  • Reply 106 of 153
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jootec from Mars

Apple need to show the people who see clock speed as the sole performance indicator of a computer that the Intel Macs are faster than the PowerPC Macs.

You may be right. I would hope Mac users are smarter then that. \
  • Reply 107 of 153
    Do you guys think apple is going to update the iMacs just 5 months after the last update?
  • Reply 108 of 153
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jootec from Mars

I don't see the G4 PB getting a 7448 faster than 1.8Ghz.

I would have to agree. They need the headroom for when the next PowerBook sports a Yonah.
  • Reply 109 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I would have to agree. They need the headroom for when the next PowerBook sports a Yonah.

I really hope they're sticking something in faster than the Yonah single cores because my experience of Pentium M laptops today is that they are about a third the speed of a G5 at media apps like ripping songs in iTunes or transcoding video at the same clock speed or thereabouts. SSE3 has to be as good as AltiVec because the current Pentium-M is terrible at vectorized code or substituting in non-SSE code. They may be faster in other applications and in particular graphics but for me, current Macs have enough of teh snappy there already.

Holding back the Powerbook and making sales even worse, then introducing something that isn't faster all round is just going to kill PowerBook sales now and later.

And the Dual-core G5, if Apple puts 2 of those in the PowerMac will rule the desktop for a year too unless people spend serious moolah on Intel's Dual Xeons.

I now don't believe the Pentium M is where Apple and Intel are heading. The performance difference with the expectations Jobs made of 15 units of performance per watt to 70 with Intel just isn't going to come from Yonah, or Merom, or Conroe or anything Intel are showing in their roadmap today. Of course Jobs could be talking BS but you'd think he'd have learned his lesson there with the 3Ghz promise.

That Inquirer article may be a work of fiction but something is brewing. It's either BS by Jobs or we're going to get surprised by Intel. If the former, I'll join the queue for a quad g5 powermac.
  • Reply 110 of 153
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Late to the thread. Boring Apple-branded hardware expo, but http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25540
  • Reply 111 of 153
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by namachtag

Steve will come out and say: "We have done better than expected.. the cancer (IBM) is gone! Introducing the new MacIntels...........

NOT!!!

I think it will be the Dual-Dual's G5's (which the rumors indicate they have been working with for a long time) hence they probably already have the boards designed. It would be sooner then later (Jan would be to late, think of the rev cycles the will produce before Intel PM's). I bet they will release a PB G5's (freescale chip)...

thoughts?

g

There is no Freescale G5, not going to happen. Freescale may improve Altivec, but unless it is seemless and needs little work to optamize then it won't amount to much, Apple will be putting their programming efforts into OS X on Intel debugging, optimizations and helping developers make the transition in as little time as possible. At best Apple will implement the 7448 as the last Freescale chip in thier line-up, and then only becouse it will require minimal work to do so. After all, along with the software work, they have to get new hardware designed that will impress the audience instead of mearly satisfying them with the same lacluster advances that have plauged the G4/5 days of the PowerPC. I would hope that Apple is looking to energise the market like they did with the transition to the PowerPC in the early days of AIM.

Of course the Ace in the hole for Apple, as I see it, is to get developers to conform more to their software specs and developers model using Apple tools and universal bionaries so that Apple is finally able to realize the promise of processor independence that the transition of OS X promised when they originally started the project. This would free Apple from one processor and one supplier in a way that the AIM alliance never did.
  • Reply 112 of 153
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

Of course the Ace in the hole for Apple, as I see it, is to get developers to conform more to their software specs and developers model using Apple tools and universal bionaries so that Apple is finally able to realize the promise of processor independence that the transition of OS X promised when they originally started the project. This would free Apple from one processor and one supplier in a way that the AIM alliance never did.

That's devious!

I bet that's not what they're doing though.
  • Reply 113 of 153
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Well next week ought to be interesting, Intel shold be releasing some info on their coming hardware. The buzz is that more info will be release about the 64 bit future. This might apply to Yonah _ we can hope anyway.

The other buzz that is floating about is that Intel will make dramatic power drops in new hardware. Of course we have all heard about this but there appears to be meat with the potatoes here. Now the question is are the power drops relative to the Centrino family or the more mainstream hardware. If Intel can drop the power budget for the Centrino follow on by 50% that would be impressive. Especially on a dual core platform. We can only hope at this point.

Dave
  • Reply 114 of 153
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

That's devious!

I bet that's not what they're doing though.

It would be the smart thing, if developers will stick to it for the most part. It took too long to get wean them off of carbon, and Apple needs more flexability, they don't have Microsoft's muscle to push around the chip makers after all.
  • Reply 115 of 153
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    Less then 1 month to go. Powermacs and powerbooks around the corner.

iBook are updated, just before educationnseason.

I say we will see what intel brings this week, for the Q1-Q2 productline of Apple

Within 2-3 weeks, we will get a new rumour about upcoming products.8)
  • Reply 116 of 153
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Hmm. If PowerMacs and Powerbooks are updated in Paris, I wouldn't expect any new intels intill WWDC, because, usualy the "Power" computers, as they are the pro selection, make the transition first. If they stopped calling it the G5, what kind of transition would be that for instance if the iBook got the i6 (random name) before the Powerbook did.
  • Reply 117 of 153
    hi all

I think that we will see new new dual core powerpc mac with

up to 2.5 ghz w pci-E / (Two 3.5-inch Serial ATA hard drive bays

ram 1gb (6 usb 2.0) (2) 1.1 usb ) firewire (2) 400, (2) 800,

(2 )Optical drive bay. ????

i have a i mac 233hz yes it's old, but ok for now. I will buy a new

powermac G5 mac this year after Paris expo i want the new mac to

last me for 7 years from now i'm just not shore about software for

it ? When the new mactel come out , yes Apps will be intel/PPC

in one (fat) but how long will that last? or should i get a intel mac?

Atlantis

base
  • Reply 118 of 153
    If you can wait. Wait for a MacTel June 2006. If a consumer Pentium M (G5-ish performance...) in an iBook/iMac/Mac Mini is your thing.

Want a PowerMac? Get a dual core one. Because 2007 is going to be a long wait. It will still run your PowerPC apps just fine. And any future Intel cpu will probably run your PPC apps in emulation just fine or faster than they do now.

You can't lose. Apple have thought this one through. X has been on Intel chips for five years.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 119 of 153
    mazmaz Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alantis

hi all

I think that we will see new new dual core powerpc mac with

up to 2.5 ghz w pci-E / (Two 3.5-inch Serial ATA hard drive bays

ram 1gb (6 usb 2.0) (2) 1.1 usb ) firewire (2) 400, (2) 800,

(2 )Optical drive bay. ????

i have a i mac 233hz yes it's old, but ok for now. I will buy a new

powermac G5 mac this year after Paris expo i want the new mac to

last me for 7 years from now i'm just not shore about software for

it ? When the new mactel come out , yes Apps will be intel/PPC

in one (fat) but how long will that last? or should i get a intel mac?

Atlantis

base

1. sorry for my bad english

2. buy an updated powermac

i haev buyed an 2x2 ghz g5 but since i have left my home and have an own flat, i have leaved it for my brother (who was going to buy an new pc - this was the only way to keep him away from this idea :-) )

so now i still have my old imac dv 400g3

i´m also waiting for an powermac update

but perhaps i will wait a bit longer (and buy an used g4 in tme meantime)

why?

becouse i want the last and fastest powerpc powermac

at one way it is an special feeling - sounds strange but it is so :-)

at the other way i do not want to have an intel mac

and last but not least - i hope to get good money for this machine in 10-20 years

perhaps it would be something special - the last big thing - the last powerpc mac *dreaming* :-)
  • Reply 120 of 153
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maz

and last but not least - i hope to get good money for this machine in 10-20 years

perhaps it would be something special - the last big thing - the last powerpc mac *dreaming* :-)

get yourself a Heidi and get a life...

it's not a Ferrari it's a computer: obsolete in 7 years.