Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (Update)

Comments

• Reply 201 of 367
    Does anyone actually think Blu-Ray or even HD-DVD could ever equal the same sales volume by 2010 as traditional DVD's have had over the last 5 years?

Optical HD drives will be a niche gap-filler product until the masses finally make the switch to HDTV and that could take 5-10 years (or even longer on a global scale) and by then a new technology will have leapfrogged it.

If HD-DVD and Blu-Ray don't resolve their issues soon HD optical drives will only be able attain a tiny niche at best. George Lucas and others would not release their movies on traditional DVD until DVD's reached a particular mass saturation rate which might never be reached by either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. Its those same hit movies that caused the late-adopters to buy into the technology and drive DVD sales through the roof at a record pace by historical standards.
  • Reply 202 of 367
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsocal

**To the average consumer the term "DVD" = "a Movie on a disc that has a good quality picture, great sound, cool extra features, and sells for $19.95 or below)."

So the term "HD-DVD" is a simple extension which most consumers would easily understand since its just adding a Hi-def picture and a higher price to the mix.

The term "Blu-Ray" based soley on a pure marketing strategy (not a technical one) would be more expensive to advertise. It would cost more to market since they would need to develope an entirely new "Blu-Ray" brand which would cause confusion since it looks like a "DVD"** to most people but it wouldnt be called a DVD.

While techy people like to call the average computer/electronics consumer stupid to make themselves feel superior, but in reality alot of people just do care enough about electronics or computers (they might be into sports, cars, and etc) and will buy whatever has the best name recognition or is the most popular with their friends or family.

It's probably best that the 2 formats *not* be marketed as DVDs since none of them work on the current crop of DVD players.

Imagine the disappointment when someone buys an HD-DVD thinking it might play on his/her 2002 DVD set-top.

Putting any mention of 'DVD' in the name makes it confusing to most people.
  • Reply 203 of 367
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Good point. A different sized case would solve that... but people wouldn't like needing different storage furniture for their collections. I'll be interested in seeing how that part of the transition plays out.
  • Reply 204 of 367
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Good point. A different sized case would solve that... but people wouldn't like needing different storage furniture for their collections. I'll be interested in seeing how that part of the transition plays out.

They should use an integral disk caddy, like UMD does. This would solve the problem, and make the media more durable to boot.

On the other hand, how many people had problems trying to play DVDs in CD players? The public is used to differing formats. Heck, in the beginning of the DVD era, not all players would play all DVD disks.
  • Reply 205 of 367
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

They should use an integral disk caddy, like UMD does. This would solve the problem, and make the media more durable to boot.

On the other hand, how many people had problems trying to play DVDs in CD players? The public is used to differing formats. Heck, in the beginning of the DVD era, not all players would play all DVD disks.

I don't think the form factor of the media is the problem. But I do think the form factor of the packaging and the name of the media would be a problem.

If the name and the box is different, there shouldn't be a lot of confusion.

That's why I think Blu-Ray has an advantage of not suckering people into thinking the Blu-Ray media works in older DVD players...while HD-DVD is out to sucker them into thinking that.

The real question however is 'when the fuck are games coming out on DVDs by default?' Games like Doom 3 and Halflife 2 which couldn't run on a computer that didn't ship with a DVD player still ship on CDs. Surely the cost of pressing 4 CDs is more than pressing a single DVD (or is it not?)
  • Reply 206 of 367
    To most non-tech people a DVD = Movie on a disc just like a CD = Music on a disc.

Attempts of Super-CD's and etc have had little commercial success even though they produce better sound. This might lead one to believe that its hard to get the masses to accept another product when it looks (physical appearance not funtionality) like the one they got.

I believe that the next-gen HD format should really look different like the one person said about having UMD-like case or IMO it should goto an ipod or an ipod-like device all together.
  • Reply 207 of 367
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    I think SACD and DVDA failed more because CD really is good enough, and few people felt the need for more.

HD will at least be visibly better on HDTVs but they are going to be rare for another 12 months at least. I think not supporting existing hires LCD TVs is a mistake as people won't like rebuying so soon.
  • Reply 208 of 367
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Looks like Toshiba is delaying the introduction of it's HD-DVD player until next year for "strategic reasons". Uh-huh.
  • Reply 209 of 367
    I think it would be cool if say....a studio makes the transition to HD in one swoop. Imagine a HD-DVD with HD content on one side.....flip it over and its a regular DVD. That way ull only ever had one version of the movie on store shelves, and consumers pick it up.....when they get home...they pop it into their DVD player and if and when they get HD capable hardwae, they can exploit it usng the same disc.

Obviously thats wishful thinking on my part, and i wouldnt be surprised if Studios try to milk the transition for all its worth by having ppl buy the movies on DVDs and then re purchace the movies on HD-DVDs/Blu Rays. Bastards.

Cheers
  • Reply 210 of 367
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsocal

I believe that the next-gen HD format should really look different like the one person said about having UMD-like case or IMO it should goto an ipod or an ipod-like device all together.

Are you guggesting that the movies come on Harddrives preloaded ? that would mean having a single movie on a single 30/60GB iPod in HD resolution. I wonder if HD speeds and transfer rates support HD...like does FW800 support HD content ?

Not a good idea imo...especially when you factor in the cost of the physical media.
  • Reply 211 of 367
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a

I think it would be cool if say....a studio makes the transition to HD in one swoop. Imagine a HD-DVD with HD content on one side.....flip it over and its a regular DVD. That way ull only ever had one version of the movie on store shelves, and consumers pick it up.....when they get home...they pop it into their DVD player and if and when they get HD capable hardwae, they can exploit it usng the same disc.

Obviously thats wishful thinking on my part, and i wouldnt be surprised if Studios try to milk the transition for all its worth by having ppl buy the movies on DVDs and then re purchace the movies on HD-DVDs/Blu Rays. Bastards.

Cheers

Not as wishful as you think. That idea WAS discussed by the HD-DVD camp. I don't know if they're going to do it or not, though.

The way they described it, the hybrid disc is dual-layered and double-sided (like today's DVDs). However, the drive can read one of the layers on the other side. So you'd in effect have 3 HD-DVD layers on one side, and one standard DVD layer on the other.

One layer wouldn't be enough for movies longer than 2 hours, though. But it's adequate for the large majority of them.
  • Reply 212 of 367
    I guess the first crop of Blu-Ray players will automatically shutdown if anyone tries to hack them- http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000737057152/
  • Reply 213 of 367
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    I guess the first crop of Blu-Ray players will automatically shutdown if anyone tries to hack them- http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000737057152/

Keyword, "guess." And that is exactly what this article attempts to do. Especially given that the title of the article ends with a ? mark. Even if it is true, if you don't hack your machine, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Why would you be hacking your machine in the first place if it wasn't for the purpose of piracy? Hmm?

Moreover, I've owned both VHS and DVD players, and haven't HAD TO hack them once yet. So,...what's the problem?
  • Reply 214 of 367
    Quote:

Originally posted by marzetta7

Keyword, "guess." And that is exactly what this article attempts to do. Especially given that the title of the article ends with a ? mark. Even if it is true, if you don't hack your machine, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Why would you be hacking your machine in the first place if it wasn't for the purpose of piracy? Hmm?

Moreover, I've owned both VHS and DVD players, and haven't HAD TO hack them once yet. So,...what's the problem?

OF course its a "guess", this whole thread is pretty much a "guess"

from that engadget article:

Are they talking about PVP-OPM techniques and rejected HDMI keys, or something else far more sinister? Because apparently ?A hacked player is any player that is doing something it?s not supposed to do,? which open to a pretty fair amount of interpretation?most of which egregious.
  • Reply 215 of 367
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    I'd put my money on Blu-ray any day. What little news coming out of the HD-DVD camp has been all bad recently, what with the Paramount and Universal delays. Meanwhile, Blu-ray keeps coming up with announcements of yet another company incorporating it into their product. Most recently, it was both Nero and Roxio (although Toast doesn't support Blu-ray yet). Add in video card vendors ATI and Nvidia (which sews up 99.9% of the graphics card market) and the major computer makers and Blu-ray is pretty much a done deal. I don't care if HD-DVD does get here first. The consumer video market alone isn't enough to let a format win. It has to be useful in the PC market, and nobody there seems to be interested in HD-DVD. In this case, HD-DVD seems to be playing the Betamax role with its more limited industry support.
  • Reply 216 of 367
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by marzetta7

There are plenty of reasons why someone would want to hack them. You might want to remove the region codes so you can watch foreign films that you have legally purchased. Maybe you have an older HDTV that does not support HDMI and want to see watch videos in HD that you legally own? Or you might just want to hack the player so that SONY cannot deactivate it at whim.

All of the damn copy protections that are being forced onto us will have little effect on piracy. What they really do is restrict our fair use rights, and the government should not allow the companies to implement them.
  • Reply 217 of 367
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

There are plenty of reasons why someone would want to hack them. You might want to remove the region codes so you can watch foreign films that you have legally purchased. Maybe you have an older HDTV that does not support HDMI and want to see watch videos in HD that you legally own? Or you might just want to hack the player so that SONY cannot deactivate it at whim.

Purchasing foreign films legally doesn't mean you can legally play them on your DVD player. Region codes exist for a few reasons read up about it instead of being an ignorant dolt.
  • Reply 218 of 367
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Purchasing foreign films legally doesn't mean you can legally play them on your DVD player. Region codes exist for a few reasons read up about it instead of being an ignorant dolt.

What got your panties in a wad?

I know the reasons why region codes exists, and I would love to see the USA pass a law like Australia and New Zealand are considering that would do away with region codes entirely.
  • Reply 219 of 367
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Maybe he works for the MPAA.
  • Reply 220 of 367
    It appears the the Blu-Ray drive alone will cost Sony a $100 in the PS3- http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25901