iPod nano sales off to slow start

Comments

• Reply 121 of 149
    Originally posted by Sabon

As I said before, "What I'm worried about is the trend away from FireWire. Is the next full size iPods only going to have USB 2 also?"

fair enough dude, now that the iPod mini which had the optional firewire cable is no longer in apple's brand new primetime lineup.

i'm sure though that the iPod fullsize will have firewire capabilities out of the box. i could be wrong, but i believe for sizes >20gb apple will ship with full firewire capabilities for a while to come.
  • Reply 122 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sabon

As I said before, "What I'm worried about is the trend away from FireWire. Is the next full size iPods only going to have USB 2 also?"

When I got my 30GB iPod Photo last March, I was disappointed to notice that it came ONLY with a USB2 cable - no Firewire! It was inconvenient because I have a 1.42GHz MDD G4 Powermac and it doesn't have USB2.. Only USB1 and Firewire 400/800. I had to drive back to the Apple store for a Firewire cable and spend more $$$!!
  • Reply 123 of 149
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Well I just got a nano. My local Apple Store was sold out of all 4GB nanos. I currently have a 20GB iPod I was considering trading in for the iPod photo. But the iPod photo is thicker than my 3Gb iPod. I have a shuffle for working out but the nano is much better since I get screen and everytgin in a tiny package. And it is really small. This will sell really well, it really isn't that pricy compared with other flash players, and from what I can tell in informal polls, most people only have 300 songs (my 2GB nano only fit 380 songs, but I have most of mine @ 192 AAC.
  • Reply 124 of 149
    oh bugger. sabon, i think you have reason to be concerned. i just realised that even the ipod color 20gb and 60gb, you *have* to pay extra for a firewire cable!! damn those pc users.

with the iPod mini rev B not including firewire cable out of the box, i was like, okay, i'm willing to let that slide, but not including fw out of the box on their top of the line iPods (20gb and 60gb) is well.. hmm... i'm a bit shocked, frankly...
  • Reply 125 of 149
    This article is nonsense. On Sunday, I went to the mall here in Austin just when it was opening. There might have been 50 people in the entire mall and 45 of them were at the Apple Store. And all of those people were drooling around the nano. There continues to be lengthy lines at the cash register when I passed by today.

This littel device is going to put my daughter through college so, please, no more negative articles!
  • Reply 126 of 149
    Question:

Just ordered a nano which i'll be using with my g5 but i was wondering if it can charge it's battery with usb 1.1 from my PB Ti and not conflict with the itunes on my laptop.

Obviously i'm not carrying my g5 around if i leave my home for a few days...

Not trying to hijack thread here, just a quick question so i don't need to start a new thread and since i bought one, i thought i'd ask here...
  • Reply 127 of 149
    i think the charging only part through usb1.1 should be no problem. hell, syncing through usb1.1. should be alright too

tomster: are you working at an apple store/dealership or have you got a lot of shares in apple?

heh.... in any case dont worry, so far it looks like your daughter is a shoe-in for the "uncle steve and the magic iPod factory scholarship"

heh.. just don't pull any homer simpsons with that college fund
  • Reply 128 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by drazztikka

.....and not conflict with the itunes on my laptop.....

you can set preferences in iTunes on your laptop to ignore syncing with the ipod. so it *should* treat it as just like a usb drive. even if itunes-ipod syncing is turned 'on' on the laptop, it asks you, "this ipod is syncing with another computer, do you want to sync with this computer" to which you answer, NO.
  • Reply 129 of 149
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...676277-3578416

Looks like the Nano is #3 in electronics at Amazon.

Ooooops - looks like they are #2 now.
  • Reply 130 of 149
    you forgot to mention that

1. is iPod 20gb (non-color, 4th? gen)

4. is iPod nano (white)

5. is iPod 20gb (color photo)

6. is iPod mini (silver 2nd gen)

[in addition to]

2. is iPod nano (black)
  • Reply 131 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

4. is iPod nano (white)

[in addition to]

2. is iPod nano (black)

THAT is just damn impressive!! I also like seeing MS Office Students for Mac at 19!!! Ahead of World of Warcraft!! I guess Macs are really a bit more than the 4% everyone says....
  • Reply 132 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

4. is iPod nano (white)

[in addition to]

2. is iPod nano (black)

Yes - BUT - the best part is that the next competing MP3 player is at position 39! There are something like 10 iPods between it and #1!

• Reply 133 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Yes - BUT - the best part is that the next competing MP3 player is at position 39! There are something like 10 iPods between it and #1!

And this begs the question....why discontinue the iPod Mini at all?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?
  • Reply 134 of 149
    iPod nano 4GB (black):

Apple.com ? ship 5-7 days

Crutchfield.com ? Temporarily out of stock

Amazon.com ? In stock soon.

JR.com ? Temporarily Out of Stock

BestBuy.com ? Item is out of stock

CircuitCity.com ? Temporarily unavailable for shipping

Target.com ? Item arriving in 2 to 6 weeks. Order now.

...sounds like a slow start to me
  • Reply 135 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

And this begs the question....why discontinue the iPod Mini at all?!?!?

That was actually a pretty big move on their part. One scenario is that the Nano is cheaper to make than the Mini, since they did the scroll wheel themselves, and there looks like there is less assembly involved.

The other thing is - they probably had to buy a complete shit load of Samsungs Flash memory to get the discounts (some people estimate 40% of Samsung's inventory) - so they don't want the Mini to eat into Nano sales.
  • Reply 136 of 149
    ~~post fixed, thanks peoples.
  • Reply 137 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by ikDigital

iPod nano 4GB (black):

Apple.com ? ship 5-7 days

Crutchfield.com ? Temporarily out of stock

Amazon.com ? In stock soon.

JR.com ? Temporarily Out of Stock

BestBuy.com ? Item is out of stock

CircuitCity.com ? Temporarily unavailable for shipping

Target.com ? Item arriving in 2 to 6 weeks. Order now.

...sounds like a slow start to me

heh. a family friend of mine from malaysistan is visiting his mum-in-law in SF east bay... he's coming back in 3 weeks. i can forget about asking him to pick up a black nano for me

i suppose apple.com could get it out to sf east bay in a week as indicated but.... meh. i'l stick to my retro-cool-in-demand iPod mini 1st gen silver
  • Reply 138 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

That was actually a pretty big move on their part. One scenario is that the Nano is cheaper to make than the Mini, since they did the scroll wheel themselves, and there looks like there is less assembly involved.

The other thing is - they probably had to buy a complete shit load of Samsungs Flash memory to get the discounts (some people estimate 40% of Samsung's inventory) - so they don't want the Mini to eat into Nano sales.

I doubt the Nano is cheaper and I don't think eating into nano sales will be much of a problem. They need to create an ecosystem where the Nano and the Mini are just two different markets. Mini's for kids going to school and Nano's for adults who need stop watches and color screens for calendars, etc. Why give up the cheap, color coordinated hard drive market to someone else if you don't have to? If I were Creative, I'd make the best Mini knockoff I could and start selling it before people realize Apple has stopped. In the consumer electronics field, there is less value in a simplified, clean product line, unlike computers. There is no reason to artificially make iPods in only two or three form-factors.
  • Reply 139 of 149
    I'm not surprised that sales are slow. It's the same price as a Mini for half the storage space. That's no deal.

Apple is a really innovative company, but I can't help feeling that they're trying to screw me for every penny.

The Nano just isn't priced to match its value.
  • Reply 140 of 149
    Quote:

Originally posted by chameleon

I'm not surprised that sales are slow. It's the same price as a Mini for half the storage space. That's no deal.

Apple is a really innovative company, but I can't help feeling that they're trying to screw me for every penny.

The Nano just isn't priced to match its value.

Well, they said the exact same thing about the mini when is came out too.