Apple "One More Thing" Event next week!

Comments

• Reply 241 of 290
    If this is the new iPod i'll be very dissapointed. It looks ugly!
  • Reply 242 of 290
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    This "event" is turning into a disaster.

And it hasn't even started yet.
  • Reply 243 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

What's that in GMT?

6pm
  • Reply 244 of 290
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

This "event" is turning into a disaster.

And it hasn't even started yet.

As always.
  • Reply 245 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

What's that in GMT?

1700 GMT
  • Reply 246 of 290
    6PM
  • Reply 247 of 290
    The new iPod, replacing both the classic iPod and iPod-Photo, looks fantastic with it's larger screen and thinner body.

The new iMac is just all out awesome, even down to the tech specs:

2.1GHz 20-inch iMac

-2.1GHz PowerPC G5

-700MHz FSB

-533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200), supports up to 2.5GB

-250GB Serial ATA1; 7200 rpm

-20-inch (viewable) widescreen TFT active-matrix LCD, 1680 x 1050 pixels, millions of colors

-ATI Radeon X600 XT with 128MB DDR SDRAM; PCI-Express

etc.

The built in iSight and included Front Row remote, plus the software, also make this new iMac the best iMac in Apple history.

However, I as severely disappointed that, once again, no new PowerMacs OR PowerBooks were announced. Damn it.
  • Reply 248 of 290
    I'm disapointed I can't get a 2.1GHz 17" iMac.

I might get a 2GHz refurb instead.
  • Reply 249 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

I'm disapointed I can't get a 2.1GHz 17" iMac.

I might get a 2GHz refurb instead.

Will you really notice the 0.1GHz difference? I would say not, so personally, I'd go with the thinner model, with a camera, remote and newer software
  • Reply 250 of 290
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

I don't know why you all are fixated on movies. My sense is that people download television shows, too. Much smaller. More reasonable number of producers of content.

Imagine it. $2 for last week's Alias in HD. Stick it on the gadget. Plug gadget into TV. Maybe couple with some kind of airport express with an h.264 decoder built in.

I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T! I mean, S-M-A-R-T!!!
  • Reply 251 of 290
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I just read it took a guy 40 minutes to download an episode of lost. There is hardly any content there, and it already is taking 40 minutes. I can't imagine this as being ready for a full load of entertainment in the short term. Maybe in a about 4 years.
  • Reply 252 of 290
    Is it just me, or does the extemely minor 100 MHz upgrade indicate that the 970Gx is still not available in an Apple product six months after it was introduced? This has to be the most disappoininting aspect of today's announcement and it doesn't bode well for those waiting for 970 MP Power Macs.
  • Reply 253 of 290
    The new iMac is stunning.

Remarkable Value for money.

PCI Express in there.

Good ATI card.

Built in iSight. New software.

Faster.

Good FSB speed.

Remote.

Media software.

Flat out impressive.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 254 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I just read it took a guy 40 minutes to download an episode of lost. There is hardly any content there, and it already is taking 40 minutes. I can't imagine this as being ready for a full load of entertainment in the short term. Maybe in a about 4 years.

I think the music store has been experiencing a DOS attack from everyone checking out all the new features. I would reserve my judgement for about a week or so until the newness wears off.
  • Reply 255 of 290
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jherrling

I think the music store has been experiencing a DOS attack from everyone checking out all the new features. I would reserve my judgement for about a week or so until the newness wears off.

Yeah. It's really slow right now. I'm about halfway through downloading the first ep of Night Stalker, and it's taking forever (20+ minutes now) and I'm on a T1
  • Reply 256 of 290
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    White 30GB on order
  • Reply 257 of 290
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    i gotta say i'm dissapointed with this "one more thing" event.

i was really hoping on some kind of freaking upgrade to the PB's in order for me to justify going and getting one

now what? imac looks nice (doesn't do anything for me though)but i do dig the new ipod. i want one in black.

still no PB =( what the hell am i supposed to do?
  • Reply 258 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

still no PB =( what the hell am i supposed to do?

Wait 6-13 days. You'll have a shot at a new PM as well.
  • Reply 259 of 290
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsonwax

Wait 6-13 days. You'll have a shot at a new PM as well.

why do you say this? you think they'll announce a minor upgrade to the PM and PB?
  • Reply 260 of 290
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

why do you say this? you think they'll announce a minor upgrade to the PM and PB?

No, because Apple tends to release new hardware two tuesdays after earnings. Maybe one this quarter because of xmas, but probably still on the 25th.

Apple has given retailers price protection on price cuts for all Powermacs and Powerbooks that they have remaining in stock as of yesterday or monday - not on new orders or on BTOs. Not on iBooks or iMacs.

So, I expect new PBs and PMs shortly. The PM upgrades will be substantial now that the iMac has PCIe. Not sure about PBs.