Mwsf What's Coming Up?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 93
    As a developer I don't see the Powerbook has been the first to be powered by an Intel processor.

Why?

Because there would be very few software for it!

Only the biggest software developer have chosen to rent an Intel Developer Transition Kit. With a Mac mini they will have a Intel Mac to BUY.

It's also a strong signal to the developer community: Intel Mac are here! It's now! They need to bring onboard not only the big names in development but all the small one (including those involved in Open Sources projects).

That's the main reason why I see the Mac mini has becoming the first Mactel computer.

Also, the Mac mini doesn't a case redesign (it has only one year old), doesn't need that every software be ported to it to be successful.

It's also a computer that could gain a lot to be powered by Intel: the mini is aim at switcher and an Intel processor will enable the installation of an Windows OS onto it.

And last, a mini need less tweaking in the power managment area compare to a notebook.

For all these reasons, I really do think that a Mac mini could come first (Q1 2006) followed by the iBook and Powerbook. As a professional notebook, the Powerbook has more need of strong native software support.
  • Reply 42 of 93
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    The number one thing for Apple to do in San Francisco is to demo a pre-release version of OS X along with an Intel Mac that will be ready for the market soon, and hopefully give a few more details on the transition so that developers, customers, and investors know a little more about the plan to make informed decisions. Also parade a few developers out to show off their ported applications.

I don't think that we will see an Intel Mac shipping in January, but I think that by March/April the Mac Mini and possibly the iBook will be.

I also think that Apple might just release a low-end PowerMac on the Intel platform. The reason for this is that the PM entry price has typically stayed around $1600, give or take a hundred. When Apple has had to break from this entry point than they have, withine a relatively short time, put out an "Old" model at a price point that fills this price point for professionals and consumers. There is also precidence int he G4-G5 transition of splitting the PM line between two processors. And the last reason that I think we might see this is that it will give the developers, hardware and software, a more robust and flexible computer than the Mini or iBook to work with.

I would also expect to see more anouncements on the consumer video area. The iMac's and iPods new capabilities are a start but they are very limiting and not likely to bring about the market support or profit that iTunes and the iPod did. Apple has to do more with hardware and software, including releasing a Windows program equivilent to the Mac versions that are used to support the new video strategy. This could happen yet this year, say mid November, so that San Francisco can focus more on the transition as well as getting the new consumer products out for the Holiday buying season.
  • Reply 43 of 93
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    JCG, that all sounds good to me, they have used Expo shows before to preview the next Mac OS and give update news on transitions from OS 9 to OS X. I think the PPC to Intel transition will be treated in a similar way, maybe with a rev 2 Intel Developer box with near final MacIntel specs.

I also agree that the mini will be the first MacIntel computer, now that the eMac is gone, it has no other macs to show up by being an Intel faster than the PPC above it in the range (I doubt that an Intel chip in a £350 computer will outperform an iMac G5, but it will be a step up from the current G4.) The other macs will probably be released in pairs, to minimise the toestepping between ranges, so Intel iBook/Powerbook and Intel iMac/Powermac as simultaneous releases.

As for video software, that will be iLife 06. iMovie 06 and iDVD 06 would cover the bases as far as the new iMacs and iPods capabilities are concerned. Video podcasting could also be a big focus, with the iMac iSight model now shipping, and many standalone iSights out in the user base now.
  • Reply 44 of 93
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Why the assumption that a Yonah iBook would be faster than a Powerbook. I think this statement is flat out wrong. I could see Apple using a 1.6-1.7Ghz single core Yonah and that's not going to be faster than a Powerbook with a 7448 G4 running at 1.7Ghz with a 7200rpm drive and faster video.

Consumers are the easier lot to handle. They aren't making money on their computers so basic productivity apps and web access is what they need. I think FrenchMac made an excellent point. Shipping an Intel based mini and iBook allows developers an inexpensive way to test their apps against actual shipping product.
  • Reply 45 of 93
    Thanks hmurchison.

iWork 06 could see a big upgrade as it will be the only native productivity app that will run natively on Intel Mac. The long expected spreadsheet could make an appearance. And possibly a drawing/painting related application.

I don't see AppleWorks ported to Intel as it is age old.
  • Reply 46 of 93
    I believe there is a chance for a major shakeup at MWSF - mainly because there is a long time between it and the developers conference. My bets:

iWork is going to grow a lot. AppleWorks will not be re-written and iWork needs to fill the gap AND include all the basic AppleWorks features, including a spreadsheet and a database. I go for a stripped down version of FileMaker as it provides a nice migration path to a fuller version. The wizards and templates will also be carried over.

Mactels: The one drawback for a MWSF announcement of new Mac minis and iBooks is the PowerBook. The one "enhancement" for the PB that would clear the way for consumer level Mactels is the dual core G4 from Freescale. I thought there was a 1% chance (only 1% as Freescale has Moto's DNA) that we would have seen it at the last update. A dual core PB with a significant boost in performance would allow for the lower end to go Mactels without hitting the PB market - and it would let Apple come out with some impressive computers that would be an important first step. The Mactels in all ranges need to have noticeable performance boosts over the superseded versions.

iLife: Improvements in tools to work on pictures for iPhoto. Front Row is going to grow big time and this is a good place for it - plus it sells the remote control Apple has on its web store.

There is also a simple fact that the keynote will be limited in time, thus limiting what Steve J can announce. I guess I'll go with:

- Starting off with some numbers showing how well Apple is doing at all levels.

- Discussion on how OS X is going.

- Improvements in iChat and iSync (added for the hell of it.)

- iLife 06 with Front Row added, other apps improved.

- iWork 06, fully replacing AppleWorks.

- Mactels at the Mac mini and iBook level shipping in 4 - 6 weeks.

- Dual Core PBs (that one takes courage.)

- One more thing that we can't guess, but will REALLY want to buy.
  • Reply 47 of 93
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Consumers are the easier lot to handle. They aren't making money on their computers so basic productivity apps and web access is what they need. I think FrenchMac made an excellent point. Shipping an Intel based mini and iBook allows developers an inexpensive way to test their apps against actual shipping product.

I hear you, but I'm not sure I agree with this. Pros have IT people, and consumers aren't as sophisticated, and so consumers going to some store to buy software for their kids will probably run into more problems than pros. I also bet that "pro" software will be updated for Intel a helluva lot faster than the typical consumer software. Part of this equation depends on how well Rosetta works and how fast the big boys finish their Intel transitions. If Rosetta works flawlessly and the important pro apps take a long time to convert, then I'd say you're right. But if not, Apple might be better off taking their pro line to Intel first.

In addition, speed tends to be more important for pros than consumers, and if they stick a fast Intel into the PowerBook, that might draw pent-up sales better than putting Intel into an iBook.

Furthermore, I'm not at all sure that the pro = PowerBook and consumer=iBook distinction holds that well. Lots of "pros" are poor and lots of consumers are rich. I bet there's a huge amount of crossover there.

I'm not particularly set on the PowerBook going Intel first, I just think it's a tough decision for them.

[edit] I went back and checked, and from what I can tell, the high-end Macs were the first to make the transition to PowerPC back in the mid-90s. I don't think that sets any precedents (I don't think PowerMacs will go Intel until 2007), but its just another factoid.
  • Reply 48 of 93
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'm basing it more from chip availability.

Yonah is due Q1 2006 but Merom is due 2H 2006. Therein lies the conundrum. Does Apple ship Dual Core Yonah Powerbooks or wait for Merom?

Intel has a habit of buttressing processors a little close to each other.
  • Reply 49 of 93
    as in the past they will bump the entire PM lineup to dual-duals...

hopefully, intro a macmini with intel

update the shuffle capacity

new updates to software

ibook updates
  • Reply 50 of 93
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    someone refresh my memory

when is the exact date to MWSF?
  • Reply 51 of 93
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

MWSF predikshuns!!!!!!!!!

iLife '06

iMovie update- faster, better

iDVD- more templates. HD DVD support

iPhoto- Versioning (Tiger only) faster,

Garageband- faster, better

Front Row Pro- Added DVR and bonjour features.

iTunes- support for FRP

iWork '06

Keynote 3- better stuff, easier integration

Pages 2.0- Easier UI, endnotes, better page handling

Numbers- Spreadsheet in Improve/Quantrix mode.

Drawing X- drawing app, vector support

Mac Mini Intel

iBook Intel

Larger iPod Nano 4-8GB

New 20" and 23" Cinema Display with built in iSight

Dual Core Xserve models

ARD 3.0

XSAN 2.0

New Groupware app based on HULA

Count on it.

All of this, plus my number one feature request:

The ability to let the iPod with video be able to show Keynote Presentations. Bring your ipod, hook it up to the projector, do your presentation. Couldn't be easier if you ask me

I know that you are probably able to export to Quicktime and then use the ipod. I've done that for a few presentations where I have had to use a PC and I've added the cool keynote transitions. But having the iPod being able to show both Keynote and PowerPoint slides would be a very hendy feature!

On second thought, keep it keynote only to bring those Windows users over to the other side of the ipod fence
  • Reply 52 of 93
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    My prediction/speculation for Mwsf or a special event soon after...

iTunes will add iTunes Radio. This will be custom streamed radio stations and podcasts based on Pandora (which I'm also predicting Apple will buy). It will play new songs based on your previous purchases or artists and songs that interest you. The catch will be that somewhere during the songs the sound will fade and an announcer will say "You are listening to <artist> performing <song>" and maybe even "on iTunes Radio". The real focus will be on introducing you to new artists and music. Click to buy. When listening to custom podcasts on the iPod, you can mark a song for later purchase. If you hate the current song, you can hit forward and skip to the next one. With this system, iTunes will also allow full song previews.
  • Reply 53 of 93
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

iTunes will add iTunes Radio. This will be custom streamed radio stations and podcasts based on Pandora (which I'm also predicting Apple will buy). It will play new songs based on your previous purchases or artists and songs that interest you. The catch will be that somewhere during the songs the sound will fade and an announcer will say "You are listening to <artist> performing <song>" and maybe even "on iTunes Radio". The real focus will be on introducing you to new artists and music. Click to buy. When listening to custom podcasts on the iPod, you can mark a song for later purchase. If you hate the current song, you can hit forward and skip to the next one. With this system, iTunes will also allow full song previews.

I wouldn't be suprised to see another iPod/iTunes/Video related anouncement sometime around mid Nov-Thanksgiving weekend. I think that Apple it would be in Apples interest to have a press conference giving an update on video sales and adding content from other studio's/networks, or at least adding more from Disney's holdings.

A "One more thing" would be a coup for Apple if they could bring that video to the living room, and off the computer/iPod at an affordable price, say no more than $199 with the prospects of a product that could be see price reductions in the future bringing it closer to $100.
  • Reply 54 of 93
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Wow. A great alternative to the subscription services.
  • Reply 55 of 93
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    i like the keynote on ipod idea.

they need to be reading these forums !!
  • Reply 56 of 93
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    As a follow up to my idea, the voice-over system could be used to allow websites to offer song previews. A music review site could allow you to listen to the song it is reviewing with an occasional voice-over that mentions buying the song at iTunes and a link. Maybe this could even be part of the rumored Google deal.

Editecided to add this idea here instead of another post.

I suppose this service could be a subscription, but since it is meant to push sales, it might be free. Another way of doing it might be to give so much radio time for each song purchased during a month. If they really want to fire a shot across the bow of commercial radio, they could even sell ads that play during the stream/podcast.
  • Reply 57 of 93
    tablet mac+
  • Reply 58 of 93
    There's got to be an iMac HD with either a 23" display or a 20" with 23" resolution.

I've been hanging on for this since Jan this year - what happened to the year of HD??

There are two things that make me certain - 1. there's a new gap at the top of the current iMac lineup, and 2. I've given up waiting and ordered a 20".

:-)
  • Reply 59 of 93
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    year of HD

h/264. ipod video, imovie HD, FCP.

and only 2 more months left.

Not too shabby considering Steve J. 's RDF and other <cough> ,<cough>

<3 ghz by summer>, <cough> claims.
  • Reply 60 of 93
    Quote:

Originally posted by dilett

There's got to be an iMac HD with either a 23" display or a 20" with 23" resolution.

I've been hanging on for this since Jan this year - what happened to the year of HD??

There are two things that make me certain - 1. there's a new gap at the top of the current iMac lineup, and 2. I've given up waiting and ordered a 20".

:-)

Totally agree! This is the first time I've seen anybody mention this. For the reasons you mentioned, and because of the new Front Row. It would only make sense to come out with a larger screen so that you could see better from across the room!

I am trying to be stronger and hold out. Really need to upgrade my old blue G4, but I want that 23"!