Apple's iBook successor may sport fashionable hues

Comments

• Reply 61 of 208
    My guess:

Deep, VERY dark, rich colors that almost look black if not in good light.

Midnight Blue

Dark, dark Green

Red or maroon that is almost black

and...

Black;

all with a very subtle texture for gripping that doesn't show fingerprints.

gc
  • Reply 62 of 208
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

you should walk around most IT centres in Asia. It's all the rage. Most people in Asia look at a simple white iMac and iBook and are probably like WTF is that. Why is it not black/silver with a shiny glossy screen........................ White elegance is somehow not an Asian thing, I would propose. At least not in Malaysia

White is the color of mourning / death in China, not sure about the rest of Asia.
  • Reply 63 of 208
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I don't know. Anodizing?

No reason why not. Aluminum can be anodized to white as easily as it can be to any other color.
  • Reply 64 of 208
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jouster

No reason why not. Aluminum can be anodized to white as easily as it can be to any other color.

Really? I've NEVER seen white annodizing and I work with the bike industry and they've annodized pretty much everything in one colour or another.
  • Reply 65 of 208
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajprice

And the Nintendo DS lite is glossy on the outside and matt finish in the middle.

Maybe it will be a mix of aluminium and plastic, like a Mac mini??!!??!!

Actually, modelling the mac mini may not be that far fetched. The MacBook is now more of an mini equivalent rather than an iMac equivalent. This would mean a two-tone design, with white and some metallics. This also mirrors the iPod design somewhat.

I think it is a shoe in that Apple will leverage the iPod design the best they can.
  • Reply 66 of 208
    lhvidelhvide Posts: 68member
    Colors would be great....

Aluminum seems to hold up well, but plastic feels better in the hands...

Changeable covers.. what an idea... no Apple can sell you the computer and 10 different colored cases... just like th ipod, acessorize and make more money
  • Reply 67 of 208
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

But I Still see 3 configurations. Like I said before:

$1299 MacBook

13.3" Widescreen

1.66GHz Intel Core Duo processor

[...]

Intel GMA950 64MB shared

[...]

$1499 MacBook

13.3" Widescreen

1.66GHz Intel Core Duo processor

[...]

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory [/B]

Whishful thinking. There is no way Apple would build two different mainboards for one line. Besides, what's the point of having the same clock speed in all three configs? One 1.5Ghz and one 1.66 or one 1.66 and one 1.83, both with GMA 950 or both with X300 is much more likely.
  • Reply 68 of 208
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Owning both an iBook (700 MHz ice case) and a 12" Powerbook I think the iBook always felt more durable. This isn't to say teh Powerbook felt flimsy, just that the iBook case gave a nice sense of security.

I'm happy I never had a chance to subject either to any sort of harsh tests to confirm this though.

I hate to say it, but with the rumors flying I'm really very interested to see what Apple comes up with in the MacBook. integrated graphics or otherwise it's looking more and more like it'll be a huge upgrade from the current one and perhaps a great new look for it as well.
  • Reply 69 of 208
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macinJosh

Here's a color idea!

Ummm.... for the mathematically challenged, that's actually three words.

Back

In

Beige

\
  • Reply 69 of 208
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Really? I've NEVER seen white annodizing and I work with the bike industry and they've annodized pretty much everything in one colour or another.

Correct. The only way to get white aluminum is through powder coating, much different than anodizing and not nearly as durable. But any anodizing other than 'type 3' will be subject to scratching, which is probably why you have a alu powerbooks and macbooks in kind of a brushed look and not available in colored anodize.
  • Reply 71 of 208
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

you should walk around most IT centres in Asia. It's all the rage. Most people in Asia look at a simple white iMac and iBook and are probably like WTF is that. Why is it not black/silver with a shiny glossy screen........................ White elegance is somehow not an Asian thing, I would propose. At least not in Malaysia

If my cultural awareness is correct, in Japan white is symbolic of death.
  • Reply 72 of 208
    I always thought the two tone scheme with white plastic and high polished metal looked dashing on the iPods. Of course the metal would always get scratched up and loose it's beautiful mirror finish. (As a student who has taken metalsmithing and jewelry making, I can attest to the difficulty of getting and maintaining a mirror finish on nickel)

Perhaps the metal trim could be relegated to detail work along the sides, or detail trim work around the keyboard / touchpad. Personally, I think mirror finish metal trim would look better with richer, more intense colors, instead of the pale pastels Apple seems to favor. I think if Apple is to go with colors, give us bold, intense colors!
  • Reply 73 of 208
    Quote:

Here's a color idea!

Ahem...even Apple did beige once or twice.

I would not (at all) be surprised to see beige come back into vogue. But probably not this year though.

P.S. They also did black.
  • Reply 74 of 208
    Quote:

Originally posted by photoeditor

[B]So when's it going to be? Beginning of May, nice black laptop as a sort of iBook fifth anniversary wake, or what?

I too would like to have a more specific idea of when the Macbook will be announced. Are there any events or shows coming up?!?

I am damn frustrated with the waiting. I've been eyeing the Macbook Pro but it's too big. Come on Apple, take my money, it's sitting here for you!
  • Reply 75 of 208
    I just hope that if they use a black finish that they make all of the interior black as well - keyboard and trackpad, obviously. I really don't like it when it looks like someone just taped a colour over the original product. I think that black would look great, but if it had that kind of style on the inside I'd definitly have to go for the classic white.
  • Reply 76 of 208
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    i think colors would be very cool

and i only write this in case this has been leaked to guage some sort of general feeling on the issue. more than white and black.
  • Reply 77 of 208
    flossieflossie Posts: 12member
    Black as in carbon fiber encasing would be cool. It would be a very sturdy and tough MacBook
  • Reply 78 of 208
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I'd like the color they call "electric blue", a metallic, very light cold blue. I'd also like a dark gray slightly metallic color, one frequent poster here calls "gunmetal". The colors should be serious colors, not bright ones that people get tired of. Best would be using clear covers so that the customer could insert "skins".

BTW, a picky point about the original article: The front and bottom of the original iMacs are not white at all, but a gray color. "iMac white" must refer to the G4 iMac.
  • Reply 79 of 208
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Here's a color idea!

May you rot in Winbloze hell for the mere suggestion...

Corey

• Reply 80 of 208
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GordonComstock

My guess:

Deep, VERY dark, rich colors that almost look black if not in good light.

Midnight Blue

Dark, dark Green

Red or maroon that is almost black

and...

Black;

all with a very subtle texture for gripping that doesn't show fingerprints.

gc

Now THAT sounds very Apple.

Corey