Duo 2 all over T.V.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was watching TV last night, and I must of seen 4 or 5 duo 2 commercials, I think they were all Dell. What the hell takes Apple so long? Why does Dell have laptops out now with the new chips and we're still stuck with the old ones? I think this means that we could see the Merom chips in the new MBP before Sept. 12th....I hope...Does anyone else think this, now being that other companies are selling laptops with the new chip?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 105
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta

I was watching TV last night, and I must of seen 4 or 5 duo 2 commercials, I think they were all Dell. What the hell takes Apple so long? Why does Dell have laptops out now with the new chips and we're still stuck with the old ones? I think this means that we could see the Merom chips in the new MBP before Sept. 12th....I hope...Does anyone else think this, now being that other companies are selling laptops with the new chip?

Simple answer: Dell assembles computers. Apple designs computers. Squeezing those powerful chips into remarkably tight locations, designing and testing the cooling systems, airflow paths, etc. takes time.
  • Reply 2 of 105
    Well i mean someone had to design the laptop for Dell then...I just don't understand why Apple is always a little behind...It seems like they are always trying to catch up to the PC
  • Reply 3 of 105
    Quote:

Well i mean someone had to design the laptop for Dell then...I just don't understand why Apple is always a little behind...It seems like they are always trying to catch up to the PC

Have you seen Dell's laptops? None-too-cool.
  • Reply 4 of 105
    Quote:

Basically, they don't put design into the laptop. Their design money is spent on developing cheap manufacturing/assembly processes. They assemple their components and slap a plastic cover around it. It's big, and will have multiple large fans and vents. There is therefore lots of margin for error. Apple, on the other hand, pushes the envelope on basically every machine they sell in terms of size, noise, power. Therefore, it takes more time to design and more time to test.
  • Reply 5 of 105
    makes a little more sence now
  • Reply 6 of 105
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Don't tell me Apple didn't recieve pre-production unites long time ago to do the design. Like they did with the original duo. This chip is supposed to use LESS power, so I can't understand why it's not out yet either.
  • Reply 7 of 105
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Yeah, it makes sense, but if Core2Duo is all over the TV, touting its benefits and it being the 'latest and greatest', people will be asking for it. If Apple don't have it, many less informed consumer will think it's a reason to get a windows machine...

David
  • Reply 8 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMacfan

Yeah, it makes sense, but if Core2Duo is all over the TV, touting its benefits and it being the 'latest and greatest', people will be asking for it. If Apple don't have it, many less informed consumer will think it's a reason to get a windows machine...

David

Hey, believe me, I hear ya. I don't know how much more waiting I can take. Every week that goes by, I almost just break down and buy the current one. Luckily, I've got a set cutoff date because the free nano deal ends the 16th so I've just got a few more weeks of waiting no matter what happens.
  • Reply 9 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by New

Don't tell me Apple didn't recieve pre-production unites long time ago to do the design. Like they did with the original duo. This chip is supposed to use LESS power, so I can't understand why it's not out yet either.

It's hard to say how much earlier they could have received something. Intel was really pushing these things out the door, remember?
  • Reply 10 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

It's hard to say how much earlier they could have received something. Intel was really pushing these things out the door, remember?

IDK I just think that Apple would be more on the ball these days being that they are working with Intel. It seems a little stupid to release something after everyone else does. If they really want to keep up with the rest of the PC world they need to have updates, faster, and a lot more of them. Dell doesn't even advertise new chips all the time, most of the time you don't even know what's in them, they just put new chips in and keep going. Apple makes a huge deal out of going from 2.13 - 2.33 or whatever the new one is lol....come on! jus put the damn chip in and lets go already...jeez lol
  • Reply 11 of 105
    Quote:

IDK I just think that Apple would be more on the ball these days being that they are working with Intel. It seems a little stupid to release something after everyone else does. If they really want to keep up with the rest of the PC world they need to have updates, faster, and a lot more of them. Dell doesn't even advertise new chips all the time, most of the time you don't even know what's in them, they just put new chips in and keep going. Apple makes a huge deal out of going from 2.13 - 2.33 or whatever the new one is lol....come on! jus put the damn chip in and lets go already...jeez lol

Patience is virtue, young Paduan.

• Reply 12 of 105
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    One thing to consider is that Dell has a zillion different laptop lines, and Apple has two. Dell can put the new chip in one or two of their models, but for Apple, the MB Pro was released 4 months ago, and the MacBook was just released 3 months ago, and probably won't get the new chip right away anyway. They like to let their models sell a bit longer than that, and that seems reasonable to me.
  • Reply 13 of 105
    kukitokukito Posts: 113member
    Quote:

I checked the Dell website and I didn't find any Core 2 Duo laptops. They have plenty of Core Duo laptops but those are the same chips used by Apple. I read a rumor that Apple will be getting the initial shipments of Merom (Core 2 Duo for laptops) from Intel and Dell is on a waiting list. Apple is Intel's favorite OEM vendor right now because it uses only Intel chips. According to Intel, Merom will become available at the end of this month. Apple doesn't have Core 2 Duo desktops right now but the Mac Pro uses the Woodcrest CPU which is a faster version of the same core. Dell's high-end XPS 700 desktop can be configured with Core 2 Duo but it's been delayed, and it's almost as expensive as a similarly configured Mac Pro even though it has two cores against the Mac Pro's four. The other two XPS machines are still stuck in the Pentium D world.

Edit: I priced a Dell XPS-700 and it's about US$200 less that the Mac Pro so I corrected my post to reflect that.
  • Reply 14 of 105
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by New

As it turns out, it doesn't use less power. Apple also needs to design in a mobo with a 64bit data bus to the proc.
  • Reply 15 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

One thing to consider is that Dell has a zillion different laptop lines, and Apple has two. Dell can put the new chip in one or two of their models, but for Apple, the MB Pro was released 4 months ago

That would be 7,5 months ago, not 4. Plenty of time to update.
  • Reply 16 of 105
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel

Apple also needs to design in a mobo with a 64bit data bus to the proc.

That's not the case - it's a simpe drop in replacement for the current chips, on the same chipset. If it's not soldered down, that is....

David
  • Reply 17 of 105
    ¡Dell Laptops! I want one now
  • Reply 18 of 105
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nathan22t

¡Dell Laptops! I want one now

No you don't.
  • Reply 19 of 105
    Quote:

Ahem. http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=65570&page=15 post 593.
  • Reply 20 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kukito

I checked the Dell website and I didn't find any Core 2 Duo laptops. They have plenty of Core Duo laptops but those are the same chips used by Apple. I read a rumor that Apple will be getting the initial shipments of Merom (Core 2 Duo for laptops) from Intel and Dell is on a waiting list. Apple is Intel's favorite OEM vendor right now because it uses only Intel chips. According to Intel, Merom will become available at the end of this month. Apple doesn't have Core 2 Duo desktops right now but the Mac Pro uses the Woodcrest CPU which is a faster version of the same core. Dell's high-end XPS 700 desktop can be configured with Core 2 Duo but it's been delayed, and it's almost as expensive as a similarly configured Mac Pro even though it has two cores against the Mac Pro's four. The other two XPS machines are still stuck in the Pentium D world.

Edit: I priced a Dell XPS-700 and it's about US$200 less that the Mac Pro so I corrected my post to reflect that.

I never checked the website...Prob should of done that, but the commercials did say Core 2 Duo now in Dell laptops, could be they are just advertising right before they come out. In any event, Apple should be doing the same thing, because now people that see these commercials are going to go straight to Dell because they are advertising first. Especially with this back to school stuff that's going on, Apple definitly should of tried something here, but you don't even see commercials for Apple/B2S sales at all. The only way you'll know you get a discount on anything from Apple is through there website. A little off topic, but Apple really needs to jump on opportunities like this to try to get ahead. They should really be advertising the sh!t out of the fact you can dual boot OS x and Windows too, but they're quiet about everything.