Let's share Mac Pro ship dates

Comments

• Reply 241 of 403
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Well, I'm not sure they'll even ship it out tonight, you know?
  • Reply 242 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mordak

woohoo! i win!

er... lol sorry. im an asshole.

I ordered before you, so I should be winning. Too bad Apple is a shitty referee in this game.
  • Reply 243 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Well, I'm not sure they'll even ship it out tonight, you know?

Whatever, still way ahead of schedule. At worst I should have it by the 15th. And the 2-3 day shipping instead of 1 week shipping is nice.
  • Reply 244 of 403
    I just called Apple, they said my order is being prepared for shipment and will ship tonight.

They had also offered to upgrade it to overnight but it was too late, shipping labels and everything are already on it so I can't complain.
  • Reply 245 of 403
    My order is not cancellable, but when I called to inquire yesterday, the rep was a total C U Next Tuesday and would not give me one iota of information beyond the estimated ship date. So I still have slow shipping and no further information. Woe is me.

I ordered two hours after they went on sale.
  • Reply 246 of 403
    I'm assuming you all will be sitting in your rocking chairs on your porch with a shotgun in hand, fending off any potential thieves that may know of a Mac Pro arrival.
  • Reply 247 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SoopaDrive

I'm assuming you all will be sitting in your rocking chairs on your porch with a shotgun in hand, fending off any potential thieves that may know of a Mac Pro arrival.

Will be ??? I am on my porch right now, shotgun in hands. (shipped yesterday so I should get it next week.)
  • Reply 248 of 403
    It's official - I will be the last to get my order. Maybe I should cancel it and order again - it'll probably get here faster...
  • Reply 249 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SoopaDrive

I live on the fourth floor. No one could get it down the stairs. But yes, I'm taking the day off for that. I have to:

1) Install 2 HDDs and RAM, if it's here (haven't ordered yet)

2) Set up a 320 GB RAID 0

3) Install Windows

4) Slipstream that intel driver into an install CD

5) Re-install Windows

6) Migrate pr0n/muzik stash.

7) Install Pathfinder (running under emulation, )

That'll take a while.
  • Reply 250 of 403
    I've been running it for 2 days now... here are pics if anyone is interested.

http://web.mac.com/sjsamaha/iWeb/Site/Library.html
  • Reply 251 of 403
    Unix Mac - Swap your RAM around. You want it like this:

Riser 1: 2x1 GB, 2x512 MB

Riser 2: 2x1 GB

The way you have it, you lose quad-channel bandwidth to some of that memory. And you save some latency if you have it more balanced across both risers.

Memory Rules:

1) Keep the largest sticks in the front slots on each riser. (back slots have higher latency)

2) Balance the risers as much as possible GB-wise (to make best use of the 256-bit bus)
  • Reply 252 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Unix Mac - Swap your RAM around. You want it like this:

Riser 1: 2x1 GB, 2x512 MB

Riser 2: 2x1 GB

The way you have it, you lose quad-channel bandwidth to some of that memory. And you save some latency if you have it more balanced across both risers.

Memory Rules:

1) Keep the largest sticks in the front slots on each riser. (back slots have higher latency)

2) Balance the risers as much as possible (to make best use of the 256-bit bus)

No kidding? I figured keep the 1's on one riser, and the 512's on the other.. I'll do it now...

How do you know this? Seems like Apple Computer Engineer level knowledge.. Thanks.
  • Reply 253 of 403
    Pretty cool... using Xbench, I got a 144 score on memory before, and now a 157.. Good work!

I have a the top riser with the 2x512 facing outside, and 2x1GB inboard... and the bottom riser bottom riser with the 2x1GB inboard (closest to the Mobo).

I'm going to try to buy another set of 2x512 to even it all out.
  • Reply 254 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UnixMac

No kidding? I figured keep the 1's on one riser, and the 512's on the other.. I'll do it now...

How do you know this? Seems like Apple Computer Engineer level knowledge.. Thanks.

Read the Apple discussion forums. there's a 50 page thread where one or two people explain this over and over.
  • Reply 255 of 403
    Ok.. will do!
  • Reply 256 of 403
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xool

I just ordered my Mac Pro today (September 5th) and it has a ship time of 3-4 weeks. I'll report in on updates as they come out.

I just got a shipment notification for my order!

Maybe its the type of machine I ordered or maybe its ADC, but damn, I expected this thing in over a month!!
  • Reply 257 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xool

I just got a shipment notification for my order!

Maybe its the type of machine I ordered or maybe its ADC, but damn, I expected this thing in over a month!!

As far as we can tell, it's totally random. Apple seems to be shipping the x1900 Mac Pros with no rhyme or reason. If you call them about it, they upgrade your shipping. I wasn't even mad when I called, and they upgraded it for me.
  • Reply 258 of 403
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

I wasn't even mad when I called, and they upgraded it for me.

That's probably exactly why you go it upgraded
  • Reply 259 of 403
    I've enjoyed reading all your situations, anticipating joining you all soon in having one around/on order. Nice setup UnixMac!

I trust some of you others have noticed the stated shipping time for any Mac Pro with a ATI 1900XT card is now listed as 3-4 days on Apples site. I was thinking of ordering now, but will have to wait, I am out of town for another two weeks.
  • Reply 260 of 403
    My G5 Dual 2.5 has been officially declared dead and I'm off at 11AM this morning to the Apple Store in Alderwood Manor to pick up my plain vanilla MacPro 2.66 replacement. I was offered a refurbished G5 Quad 2.5 but choose to go with the MacPro as, based on all the problems I've had with the G5, I have concerns about the long-term reliability of the liquid cooled G5s. Gotta love that AppleCare.