iMacs "Chin"

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 67
    pbpb Posts: 4,244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar


    Those stupid chin haters... may they all burn in hell end up owning an Aldi-PCs.



    I did not know that Aldi sells PCs too.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    pbpb Posts: 4,244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM


    And I don't believe that it would add an inch to the thickness. It will add some, but not an inch.



    Right. Unless they decide to remove the chin but keep inside the PSU and speaker system and make the design more complicated than it is now.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB


    Now we talk. The chin has a chance to go if Apple decides to leave outside the PSU and the speakers, like in the G4 iMac days.



    Possibly, but the PMU and the speakers take up only half or so of the chin. The rest is electronics. I won't trade the extra chin for an external supply and speakers. Too much clumsy wiring.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    pbpb Posts: 4,244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel


    Possibly, but the PMU and the speakers take up only half or so of the chin. The rest is electronics. I won't trade the extra chin for an external supply and speakers. Too much clumsy wiring.



    I know, that's why I said "it has a chance to go". That means that Apple should find a way to stuff what would remain in the available space. And there must be enough of that in the 24" model at least -- kodawarisan should strike soon and clear this point up.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB


    I know, that's why I said "it has a chance to go". That means that Apple should find a way to stuff what would remain in the available space. And there must be enough of that in the 24" model at least -- kodawarisan should strike soon and clear this point up.



    Maybe they used the opportunity to improve the speaker enclosure. I think the 24" model could have been used as an opportunity to change the design, but Apple seems to like keeping all models in a given product line similar overall shape.
  • Reply 26 of 67
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM


    I've listened to those speakers, they are nice but they aren't equivalent to $150 speaker sets. Maybe $50.



    And I don't believe that it would add an inch to the thickness. It will add some, but not an inch.





    We are in complete agreement on the speakers. My point was you have to spend the $150 to get noticeably better. Much less than that and the difference just isn't worth it. On the depth though the entire width of the speaker plus clearance and mounting points would need to be available behind the LCD in a minimal bezel design, easily adding an inch to the current depth. But really that's the minimal reason for thicker if no chin because components like the HD, DIMMs and overall heat dissiparion would drive thickness too.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro


    We are in complete agreement on the speakers. My point was you have to spend the $150 to get noticeably better. Much less than that and the difference just isn't worth it.



    I doubt that it takes $150 to get something that's better. I would argue that there are several sub-$100 speaker systems that are noticably better than what the iMac has, though if you are space starved, then it may take $150 enough better to make it worth the space they take up.



    Besides, your original argument is about equivalent substitution if they weren't there, not in trying to improve upon what's in the iMac. Those are two different goals.
  • Reply 28 of 67
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro


    We are in complete agreement on the speakers. My point was you have to spend the $150 to get noticeably better. Much less than that and the difference just isn't worth it. On the depth though the entire width of the speaker plus clearance and mounting points would need to be available behind the LCD in a minimal bezel design, easily adding an inch to the current depth. But really that's the minimal reason for thicker if no chin because components like the HD, DIMMs and overall heat dissiparion would drive thickness too.





    My computer speakers are 5.1 channel surround sound and they were less than $150. No optical though
  • Reply 29 of 67
    My speakers are 5.1 channel surround sound Logitechs and I got them for $50 on Newegg.



    I think you could move to a laptop board but keep the regular graphics card and the 3.5 inch HDD and stick it all behind the monitor if you externalize the PSU (not a huge deal at all)
  • Reply 30 of 67
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,831moderator
    I dislike the chin but the more I see it in the office, the less it bothers me. This is after seeing the newer iMacs because they are thinner than the G5 models.



    Once there are post-it notes all over the chin, it actually starts to look functional.



    However, I don't use post-it notes and they leave marks on the machine so I still think the chin needs removed.



    I also dislike the position of the components. To have to turn round your whole machine to put a CD/DVD in or plug in a firewire/USB device is not a good design and I know you have to do that because I see it every day.



    I had originally thought that putting the optical drive and HD in the base would solve this issue somewhat but I've seen how the machine comes apart and the enitre back including stand just lifts right off so it would be difficult to put a wire in there.



    So, I think an external PSU is probably the only thing that can be done but that would likely push up the price. Thickening the machine probably wouldn't work because that makes certain components harder to access.



    It's entirely possible to do because you can see the form factor of the 15" Macbook Pro and the iMac is 17"+.



    What puts me off more than anything with the chin is the horrible grey Apple logo. Remember we used to have siny embossed translucent logos. Now it just looks like a sticker. I feel the same about the Mini. I'd much rather have a silver finish with an embedded white Apple logo.



    I wonder how much more expensive it would be to make a metal iMac. After all, the Mac Pro is entirely metal and not much more than the 24" iMac. On the Mini, they could make the metal sides thinner and spread it out over the top.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    yaaa to the chin



    This is for the chinhaters

  • Reply 32 of 67
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Marvin, I'm not understanding why you have to turn the whole machine to put a CD/DVD in.



    Just slide it in baby!
  • Reply 33 of 67
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,831moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder


    Marvin, I'm not understanding why you have to turn the whole machine to put a CD/DVD in.



    Just slide it in baby!



    Well, you can also get up off your chair and look round I suppose. In the office, I see people with their 20" iMacs and they can't see where the slot is unless they either swivel the machine a bit or get up and lean round the side.



    That mock-up above just shows quite clearly how much better the machines look without the chin. They look great. Does anyone have an idea the price difference would be using an external PSU?



    From getting some prices via google, it seems that a Mac mini external PSU is about $110 and an iMac PSU is about $200. That can't be right can it? Would the iMac actually be cheaper with an external PSU?
  • Reply 34 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin


    Well, you can also get up off your chair and look round I suppose. In the office, I see people with their 20" iMacs and they can't see where the slot is unless they either swivel the machine a bit or get up and lean round the side.



    That, I don't have a problem with, there's not much risk in that. That's a lot better than risking disconnecting cables if you have to look behind the unit to plug in a thumb drive.



    Quote:

    From getting some prices via google, it seems that a Mac mini external PSU is about $110 and an iMac PSU is about $200. That can't be right can it? Would the iMac actually be cheaper with an external PSU?



    I really can't tell you, I don't know. It may be that the power demands in an iMac are higher, it does have to drive a screen after all. The mini's power block is the biggest I've seen of an external power supply, and I'd hate to see one that's larger, so maybe that's not a good idea.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vorm-krijger


    yaaa to the chin



    This is for the chinhaters





    Thats beautiful. Apple should be heading in that direction.
  • Reply 36 of 67
    I want those chinless beauties in black, now! I'd cancel my Mac Pro for a 24" chinless black iMac w/ 7600GT
  • Reply 37 of 67
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vorm-krijger


    yaaa to the chin



    This is for the chinhaters





    I love Antwerp, Greatest city in a range of 50km from where I life.

    (Although I don't understand a word they say if the start talking "Antwaaaaarps" to me,) but...

    that are a bunch of really ugly iMacs you have there.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM


    [snip]The mini's power block is the biggest I've seen of an external power supply, and I'd hate to see one that's larger, so maybe that's not a good idea.



    You haven't see the powerbrick of the much glorified Cube yet, It is almost as big as a Mac mini.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    hehe i loveHate antwerp



    Here the are ...



  • Reply 39 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo


    Well, you're wrong. It's distracting and serves no purpose other than to scream "we didn't know how to not have this huge ugly thing here".



    wow, sounds the imac has wronged you somewhere. i used one for a year (17") and to tell the truth i never noticed it once i turned it on. it is just a non factor. i think the issue with the chin is that you need room for the power supply because its too hot to put behind the lcd which also generates heat. anyways, i think the imacs are a fantastic computer that take up no room and if you add bluetooth keyboard and mouse they make the least intrusive computing experience of any desktop computer. i consistently had people asking me where the computer was.
  • Reply 40 of 67
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,831moderator
    You missed a bit :



Sign In or Register to comment.