Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2006)

Comments

• Reply 1321 of 2106
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Mitsubishi HDD Recorder

Yeah, its pretty...and it's not the only Blu-ray HDD recorder coming to a store near you. Nice!!
  • Reply 1322 of 2106
    Panny is now on the market appears and shipping!...shock and awe indeed.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/487723281 Corrected

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1buYV22...m&i=133DMPBD10 Corrected

And look! It plays CD's Murch!

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ails/487723281
  • Reply 1323 of 2106
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Telomar

To me these are one of Blu-Ray's greatest assets and killer uses and it is one area where the capacity density difference between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray really matters.

HD camcorders with mini Blu-Ray discs is nice, especially given the limitations of 8cm DVDs. The only question is will memory prices drop enough to compete. Although I am sure there will be some cameras that do use flash memory or HDDs I can see Blu-Ray camcorders doing quite well. Finally the storage capacity to replace DV tapes with the ease of DVD. Shame it'll be a year and a half or more before any products.

Personally I'm not a fan of optical based camcorders. Basically it's companies saying "you're too stupid to connect an firewire cable to your computer and import your video". Millions of iPods and other DAP are sold each month. The clear trend is flash memory and the Engadget article was wrong. The discs aren't 16.5GB but rather 15.xGB. That sounds phenomenal until you realize that MiniDV tapes hold 13GB and cost $4 in a multipack at Costco.

Joe Kane said Blu-Ray was about greed. I don't necessarily agree but I do find it odd that they expect people to pay 5x the cost of todays capable tape media for an optical tech. I'm looking at a flash or HDD based HD recorder. I won't touch an optical based unit. I'll leave that for the "HD Camcorders for Dummies" crowd
  • Reply 1324 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7

No, meaning they finally put extras on there that are not already there with regular DVD, in that they (the extras) are in HD and have technology on the disc like Blu-ray Wizard technology that allows the user to have customized control over extras and other things as well as other technologies like BD-J.

http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-newsview.php?id=327

In addition, meaning that the interactivity that we are witnessing on forth coming Blu-ray discs are just the beginning, thus my statement "the beginning of the shock and awe."

The article you quoted:

"Though originally expected to be a BD-25, single-layer disc only, the release will in fact be dual-layer and come packed with all the same bonus features as its standard DVD."

Yep, same one. And the other two movies just said they have extras *shot* exclusively in HD. Is there confirmation that the Bluray versions will finally come with more features?

"Blu-ray wizard" doesn't give any specifics either. Can you say specifically what it does that DVD doesn't? Or is it just more hype and buzzwords?

And that second link (above) doesn't say the Bluray versions will have more either, it's just a rumor article with no real specifics.

Two of those three Bluray players linked were dead links. And the third was $1299. I don't know about awe, but that's a hell of a shock.
  • Reply 1325 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

The article you quoted:

"Though originally expected to be a BD-25, single-layer disc only, the release will in fact be dual-layer and come packed with all the same bonus features as its standard DVD."

Yep, same one. And the other two movies just said they have extras *shot* exclusively in HD. Is there confirmation that the Bluray versions will finally come with more features?

"Blu-ray wizard" doesn't give any specifics either. Can you say specifically what it does that DVD doesn't? Or is it just more hype and buzzwords?

And that second link (above) doesn't say the Bluray versions will have more either, it's just a rumor article with no real specifics.

I've corrected the links for you. In regards to your previous post, you posted in a general, all encompassing manner...

Quote:

Meaning what, they finally have the room to put back in the bonus features that were already there with regular DVD?

Thus I responded in a general manner. So, you are correct in one instance and wrong in the other two. Regardless and semantics aside, new technology will be coming on the discs aforementioned, and because I'm not Sony's keeper and don't have every detail in regards to the inner workings of their tech, doesn't make the inevitable release and reality of this information untrue--especially since there are many more tech blogs and/or websites posting this same information, so I think the odds are, it's going to happen (regardless of you pessimism).

Quote:

Two of those three Bluray players linked were dead links. And the third was $1299. I don't know about awe, but that's a hell of a shock

Welcome to early adoption...you don't like the $1299 price tag that comes with early adoption, then 1-do some homework, it historically works this way and then 2-just don't buy it. If you think price is the all encompassing factor in an early adoption market, then I would suggest you are wrong as I've told many others. If $1299 is a shock to you, go buy a PS3 for $499 in four weeks. And if that price is still a shock, just stop whining and just wait for Wal-Mart to carry a $89 Blu-ray player in the future--as I'm afraid if this is the case, you are going to be dissapointed from either camp (HD DVD or Blu-ray) based on price until a we are a couple more years into the future.
  • Reply 1326 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

Speak of the devil, was over on Blu-ray.com forums and ran into this...

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=2900

It appears Blu-ray Wizard is explained within leaflets inside BDs and how they will be coming equipped with the technology. Thus, I'd say its a pretty good chance that it is much more than just hype and buzzwords. So, go buy a disc, and find out, if you are genuinely interested.
  • Reply 1327 of 2106
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

Just what am I supposed to be shocked about and what awe am I to expect? Methinks you are hyping things a bit too much.

I think you'd find that with the major companies jumping on board the marketing machine that surrounds them is about to more heavily focus on Blu-Ray. Given what I've seen some of the companies doing behind the scenes I'm not sure that's untrue either. When half a dozen manufacturers decide they want to push something it can become kind of overwhelming. Add to that these are only the first releases of what is really planned as two stages of the Blu-Ray launch with next year more "connected" players due to launch. The CE companies need this badly since DVD revenue is starting to stagnate so they're quite happy to hype it.
  • Reply 1328 of 2106
    Quote:

Personally I'm not a fan of optical based camcorders. Basically it's companies saying "you're too stupid to connect an firewire cable to your computer and import your video". Millions of iPods and other DAP are sold each month. The clear trend is flash memory and the Engadget article was wrong. The discs aren't 16.5GB but rather 15.xGB. That sounds phenomenal until you realize that MiniDV tapes hold 13GB and cost $4 in a multipack at Costco.

Joe Kane said Blu-Ray was about greed. I don't necessarily agree but I do find it odd that they expect people to pay 5x the cost of todays capable tape media for an optical tech. I'm looking at a flash or HDD based HD recorder. I won't touch an optical based unit. I'll leave that for the "HD Camcorders for Dummies" crowd

Although you may not be a fan the market trend shows other people are. Most people still don't like working with it on a computer. The best video editing software for movies still really lives on Macs, which most people don't own so for most it is all a bit more difficult than they'd like.

Aside from which flash memory might be reaching 4GB as the mass market card by 2008. So 4 GB for $30, which is roughly the lower end 1GB price now so I am assuming a doubling of capacity each year, which is faster than the norm, or 15+ GB for we'll say $20, which is certainly the higher end and I'd expect ultimately $10 - $15. I have to tell you I know which I'd want. HDD recorders may do better but people like to be able to switch discs. It's a peace of mind thing in case they can't get it off on to a computer. It's certainly more expensive than miniDV but that's progress.
  • Reply 1329 of 2106
    Quote:

Videoscan numbers are in for August finally...

HD-DVD software outsold BD 11 to 1.

11 to 1.

It was 8 to 1 in July.

11 to 1.

That is without a big name title. Batman Begins is estimated to be the first big title for HD-DVD. The title broke into the top 20 on Amazon.com for a limited time. Pre-Orders of the title from Amazon alone are said to be over 20,000 orders. That will make it the top selling HD-DVD title on its first day of release.

WB believes it will sell 50,000 copies in the first week. That means that 90% of everyone who has a HD-DVD player will be out buying it. It also means it will have sold twice as many copies as the previous top seller: Serenity.

Corpse Bride, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, and T3 are estimated to sell around 15,000 copies in their first month. By the end of October, HD-DVD will have 5 titles that will have outsold every BD sold combined.

Compare that to Click which is estimated to sell around 3,500 copies in its first month and is also estimated to be BD's top selling title.

It's illegal for me to reprint on the internet Videscan numbers (its a paid subscription). It's also illegal for me to reprint the article about estimated sales for both.

It isn't illegal to point out that on Amazon.com the top 10 HD-DVD titles average out to be ranked 584th in movie sales. BD's top 10 average out to 5,662. HD-DVD has 5 titles in the top 150, BD's best day to my knowledge was the top 3,600 for 1 title. They have 5 titles in the top 5,300 currently.

Five best titles for HD-DVD: top 150, BD: top 5,300.

Software sales are completely blowing away BD. Software attachment numbers are crazy high for HD-DVD. September and October numbers are going to be much WORSE for BD. It is 11 to 1 right now, but September numbers could be as high as 15 to 1, and Octobers looks to be devestatingly absurd likely 20 to 1.

So the person in this thread thinking sales are 5 to 1 in favor of HD-DVD is clearly wrong. HD-DVD is crushing BD right now. This is without advertising. The big campaign of $150M starts in late October.

Consider by October HD-DVD player sales are estimated to be at 65,000 while BD sales are estimated to be at 10,000. That is sold not shipped. It is a number from Toshiba, so it could be off. I don't think it is.

Sony is banking that PS3 sales will push software sales of BD up in December over HD-DVD and show that Studios like Disney, Fox, and Lionsgate picked the right brand.

Lionsgate however is rumored to be about to make an announcement that they will have HD-DVD titles available. It's just too hard for them to pass up the money they could be making in HD-DVD.

If Sony doesn't win December (and I'm now thinking they have little to no chance) then Disney is very likely to spurn Sony and go with both formats.

LG is going to announce a Dual-Format (universal) player at CES. Their agreement with Sony won't allow them to release a HD-DVD only player

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8504357

Man 11:1 movie attachement advantage. I'm betting that studios are taking a keen look at this and having some different thoughts about their exclusive support for Blu-Ray.

Well Sony Pioneer and Panny will be the heavy hitters coming to save the day....ooops

The Panny doesn't look any better than the Sammy

The only shock and awe is going to come from the people expecting to see better quality for their $1300.
  • Reply 1330 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir

japan is very brand loyal, until their brand betrays them i dont see the xbox ever being that popular there. kinda why you dont see ford's roaming those streets often.

and to sit there and say that no one cares about those games besides halo is absolute ignorance. its all over ign, bioshock and mass effect, gears of war have been the most popular games at every conference, you're just ridiculous.

i understand you're a fanboy, you believe everything sony tells you. post me a link where sony denies the overheating issues, and state to me its not a problem, just like you prob stated that killzone was actually in game footage when sony lied lmao .

What the fuck? How does NOT hating PS3 make me a fanboy?

I already have a 360, and I'm definitely getting both a WII and a PS3.

Just because I pointed out a few points where you randomly went totally retarded for Microsoft doesn't make me a fanboy of anything.

(Btw, I never heard of either of those 3 games. When they step out of the gaming media and into what my friends bring up in conversation, maybe I'll look into them)
  • Reply 1331 of 2106
    Quote:

Quote:

By the by, the image quality was terrific.

Oh damn, how horrible, terrific picture quality. How totally evil of Panasonic
  • Reply 1332 of 2106
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647

Granted I haven't seen EVERY single blu-ray movie so far. But the ones I have seen have had horrible artifacts.

Can anyone reconcile this statement with the article Murch cited? That said, among other things, "Excellent picture quality," "The picture is great," and "A top notch picture?just like every other Blu-ray player."
  • Reply 1333 of 2106
    Folks that's the point. If you were over on AVS you'd have heard "wait until the Sony or the Panasonic' models hit. The Sammy was much maligned but evidently the quality that the Sammy offered was equivalent to the panny which is now $500 more money. Ask yourself why. Why are is panasonic and Pioneer demanding more money yet returning the same results.

Then ask why any of those players are worth a $200-1000 premium over the $499 Toshiba. All this stuff at its best look great. You might as well just spend the least amount of money and enjoy your HD.
  • Reply 1334 of 2106
    Quote:

Then ask why any of those players are worth a $200-1000 premium over the $499 Toshiba. All this stuff at its best look great. You might as well just spend the least amount of money and enjoy your HD.

You seem to be forgetting the Toshiba player is a loss leader. Toshiba loses money on every single one they sell. Blu-Ray hasn't released a player like that and Toshiba ultimately can't sustain it. Early adopters aren't the ones averse to paying extra for quality either.
  • Reply 1335 of 2106
    Quote:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8504357

Man 11:1 movie attachement advantage. I'm betting that studios are taking a keen look at this and having some different thoughts about their exclusive support for Blu-Ray.

Well Sony Pioneer and Panny will be the heavy hitters coming to save the day....ooops

The Panny doesn't look any better than the Sammy

The only shock and awe is going to come from the people expecting to see better quality for their $1300.

Now what you posted right here is just laughable! The guy states that HD DVD player sales are expected to be 60,000 in October! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! This would be nice, if they sold like oh like 35,000 players in the last two weeks or so when the Toshiba rep stated they only sold a paltry 25,000 HD DVD players with their 5 month head start. I notice this info is from August too. Given the light of this info source and the already tainted HD DVD fanboy reputation that AVS has (as they have active Microsoft employees all over the place with a vested interest in HD DVD), I'd say about all you posted here is pure FUD. I mean I haven't read so much utter crap in my life--but heh, keep believing the the poop seeping from Redmond.

Still hoping Lionsgate will do the HD DVD switch, kind of like you've been hoping that Disney is going to switch given Iger's comments about possibly having to support both (like 6 months ago)? Yet neither hasn't? Why? Cause 25,000 players is NOT going to sway studios to a format, pure and simple. But 1 million will--and Blu-ray will have it. Studios go where the potential for money is the greatest. And, considering that the like of Weinstien and others have hopped over to Blu-ray should be a good indicator to you that there more than likely won't be any other studios supporting HD DVD.

But enjoy your fantasy world while you can, because there's nothing quite like reality in the 4th quarter to squash it.
  • Reply 1336 of 2106
    Quote:

Folks that's the point. If you were over on AVS you'd have heard "wait until the Sony or the Panasonic' models hit. The Sammy was much maligned but evidently the quality that the Sammy offered was equivalent to the panny which is now $500 more money. Ask yourself why. Why are is panasonic and Pioneer demanding more money yet returning the same results.

No the point is, if $999 is an issue with a consumer, why wouldn't they just get a PS3 for $499 and have the capability to game to boot. More bang for the buck.

The other point I'd make here is how quickly you come to your conclusions bases off of 1 review, that actually was fairly good. Let's wait for some more and see if the consensus is the same, shall we?
  • Reply 1337 of 2106
    Sony Officially Announces First BD-50 Blu-ray Discs

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news...-ray_Discs/285

Quote:

As expected, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment today has announced its first three BD-50 dual-layer Blu-ray disc releases, led by the box office hits 'Click,' 'Black Hawk Down' and 'Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.'

As reported yesterday, information had leaked early that the studio was on the verge of announcing the format's first dual-layer BD-50 discs, whose increased 50GB storage capacity allow them to deliver increased bonus features and interactivity.

Today Sony officially confirmed the news via this press release. Hitting stores this Tuesday, October 10 will be 'Click,' followed by 'Black Hawk Down' on November 14, and 'Tallageda Nights' on December 12.

All three titles will include extensive bonus features shot in full high-definition video, and 'Black Hawk Down' will also be the first Sony title to implement the format's proprietary "Blu-Wizard" authoring environment, which supports enhanced interactivity.

We've updated our Blu-ray Release Schedule with the new specs, and stay tuned for in-depth reviews of 'Click' and Sony's future Blu-ray BD-50 titles in the weeks ahead.

Sony hype, or just plain reality? Look forward to the weeks to come and what the BDA has to offer.
  • Reply 1338 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Telomar

You seem to be forgetting the Toshiba player is a loss leader. Toshiba loses money on every single one they sell. Blu-Ray hasn't released a player like that and Toshiba ultimately can't sustain it. Early adopters aren't the ones averse to paying extra for quality either.

This all stems from the iSuppli BoM breakdown of the HD-A1 which is a guesstimate at best. I'd bet $100 easily that you couldn't prove that fact that the HD-A1 is subsidized. You'll be a daisy if you do because Toshiba execs have stated that it is not. However rumors persist because people like to take them and run with them like the whole "HD DVD is only 1080i" which stemmed from a poorly written article.

Marzetta7 - heheheh a "paltry" 25k huh?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multime...904230904.html

relevant quote

Quote:

Toshiba says it has already sold 50 thousand HD DVD players in the U.S. and Japan, and aims to sell 200 thousand by the end of the year.

Toshiba doesn't give us a breakdown. Possibly it could be 25k each for Japan and the US but clearly your quote doesn't represent the full picture. Note the 200k units by year end which will be worldwide I'm assuming. These are "dedicated" players and not consoles. Also keep in mind this is just the Toshiba units . RCA is estimating 10-20k units

Quote:

Still hoping Lionsgate will do the HD DVD switch, kind of like you've been hoping that Disney is going to switch given Iger's comments about possibly having to support both (like 6 months ago)? Yet neither hasn't? Why? Cause 25,000 players is NOT going to sway studios to a format, pure and simple.

Marzetta7 man you can't beat me in this stuff man. I'm always a few steps ahead of you. Previous post debunked your 25k myth. Now lionsgate.....

1. They've cancelled ALL Blu-Ray releases for 2006 pending a change to VC-1

2. Microsot has a tool that allows you to encode to HD DVD spec and then convert to Blu-Ray. Hit both platforms for one encode. Nice

3. More than one person who seems to have some inside knowledge on Lionsgate has corroborated the rumor that they are going neutral.

After CES 2007 we'll see but I'm willing to bet LG will be onboard and Disney will go neutral by summer. You don't have to believe me but I'm the one flying high here and you're the one making excuses. I've got the momentum

Weinsteins on Blu-Ray hugh. Then please explain this.

Why are there 20 HD DVD Weinstein flicks listed on this page

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/releasedates.html

and none on the Blu-Ray page?

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/releasedates.html

Sound like you're getting a little too eager there buddy. Do some fact finding first before you build a house out of a deck of cards. As of today there are no pending Weinstein Blu-Ray movies.

This is really too easy. You guys have been blathering about Blu-Ray for months now and you've nothing to show for it but delays and promises about unobtainium (Playstion 3) and poorly encoded movies. People no longer look at Blu-Ray as the pinnacle. They merely say "is this movie as good as HD DVD?" That speaks volumes about how much ground the BDA has lost.

For the record I harbor little animosity for Blu-Ray as a format. It's just not the best format and no Blu-Ray fan has been able to refute that with empirical evidence.

I figure that by years end there will be a half million HD DVD enabled devices that are designed to play movies. That is in distinct contrast with a game console that is designed for games and just happens to play movies. The 1st generation of players was easily won by HD DVD. The upcoming Sony/Pio/Panny players will sell to enthusiasts but the rank and file consumer isn't going to pay $1000 for a player. That's a fact.

Next year we should see $399 for less HD DVD players and more consumers will take note. By the end of Q1 2007 there will be over a million HD DVD playback devices. There WILL be more studios hopping over and it'll be clear that HD DVD isn't going anywhere. The inertia is already there.
  • Reply 1339 of 2106
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

This all stems from the iSuppli BoM breakdown of the HD-A1 which is a guesstimate at best. I'd bet $100 easily that you couldn't prove that fact that the HD-A1 is subsidized. You'll be a daisy if you do because Toshiba execs have stated that it is not. However rumors persist because people like to take them and run with them like the whole "HD DVD is only 1080i" which stemmed from a poorly written article.

relevant quote

Toshiba doesn't give us a breakdown. Possibly it could be 25k each for Japan and the US but clearly your quote doesn't represent the full picture. Note the 200k units by year end which will be worldwide I'm assuming. These are "dedicated" players and not consoles. Also keep in mind this is just the Toshiba units . RCA is estimating 10-20k units

Marzetta7 man you can't beat me in this stuff man. I'm always a few steps ahead of you. Previous post debunked your 25k myth. Now lionsgate.....

2. Microsot has a tool that allows you to encode to HD DVD spec and then convert to Blu-Ray. Hit both platforms for one encode. Nice

3. More than one person who seems to have some inside knowledge on Lionsgate has corroborated the rumor that they are going neutral.

After CES 2007 we'll see but I'm willing to bet LG will be onboard and Disney will go neutral by summer. You don't have to believe me but I'm the one flying high here and you're the one making excuses. I've got the momentum

Sound like you're getting a little too eager there buddy. Do some fact finding first before you build a house out of a deck of cards. As of today there are no pending Weinstein Blu-Ray movies.

This is really too easy. You guys have been blathering about Blu-Ray for months now and you've nothing to show for it but delays and promises about unobtainium (Playstion 3) and poorly encoded movies. People no longer look at Blu-Ray as the pinnacle. They merely say "is this movie as good as HD DVD?" That speaks volumes about how much ground the BDA has lost.

For the record I harbor little animosity for Blu-Ray as a format. It's just not the best format and no Blu-Ray fan has been able to refute that with empirical evidence.

I figure that by years end there will be a half million HD DVD enabled devices that are designed to play movies. That is in distinct contrast with a game console that is designed for games and just happens to play movies. The 1st generation of players was easily won by HD DVD. The upcoming Sony/Pio/Panny players will sell to enthusiasts but the rank and file consumer isn't going to pay $1000 for a player. That's a fact.

Next year we should see $399 for less HD DVD players and more consumers will take note. By the end of Q1 2007 there will be over a million HD DVD playback devices. There WILL be more studios hopping over and it'll be clear that HD DVD isn't going anywhere. The inertia is already there.

ADVANTAGE: MURCH
  • Reply 1340 of 2106
    Quote:

Marzetta7 man you can't beat me in this stuff man. I'm always a few steps ahead of you. Previous post debunked your 25k myth.

Myth? Who do you suppose you are fooling...? Certainly not me or most here, despite your lies, FUD, and clear distaste for anything Blu-ray. Check the date on your article first off. Your article was released on September 4th, and not to mention clearly doesn't provide a source for their "50,000" number. Now,...check this link...

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...VD_Players/233

Relevant quote from article:

Quote:

According to the company's initial press blurb, "Toshiba's latest players are poised to continue momentum generated by the success of the HD-A1 and HD-XA1 models, which are estimated to be in approximately 25,000 U.S. homes already."

Notice the date on there genius,...Mr. "I'm always a few steps ahead of you?" Yeah, it's September 15th, alsmost two weeks after this wonderfully full of crap piece (September 4th) you've decided to post here. So again, you're not fooling anyone.

Moreover, I've stated this before about this particular site, but they tend to trail most of their Blu-ray and HD DVD articles with the same paragraph which is one of the most tilted and misleading paragraphs in favor of HD DVD that I've ever read in terms of giving a synopsis of the HD landscape. They make it read as if Sony and Panasonic are the only ones behind the Blu-ray format, and that 230 CE and IT companies worldwide support HD DVD. Uhh huh, no mention of the 170+ companies withing the BDA, no mention that the majority of the 230 CE and IT companies they reference of the DVD forum actually support Blu-ray, no mention of Lionsgate, or Paramount Pictures, or New Line Cinema as far as studio support. What's funny is, is you rag sites like IGN.com and then come back with a credibly suspect site like x-bit labs.

Regardless, even if Toshiba is successfull/lucky enough to sell 200,000 players by years end...how does this compare to the 1,000,000 units that will sell in the form of the PS3 and other standalone players? Answer, it won't, and no matter how you try to spin it, the end result will be the same: Blu-ray will have far deeper market pentration.

Quote:

Now lionsgate.....

Yeah, we all know where you get your "inside knowldedge," but Amir has been wrong most of the time in regards to the HD landscape just like you--I thought BD50s were a pipe dream? I swear I remember seeing you post this.

Furthermore, see this article as far as myths go (ya know the one where Lionsgate has cancelled ALL Blu-ray released for 2006)...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news...on_Blu-ray/271

Keep wishing Redmond boy.

Quote:

At least keep thinking this, cause reality will dissapoint you. I guess ignorance truly is bliss.

Quote:

Ahh, always the push for now, now, look now. Someone getting scared? A bit paranoid that Blu-ray will undoubtedly overtake the "now" format of HD DVD...? Looks like it to me, because we all well know that the Weinsteins company has pledged Blu-ray support. It's all over the internet.

These are the facts, you need to deal with them...

http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-newsview.php?id=294

Quote:

"Rank and file consumers" won't pay $500 for an HD DVD player either, just early adopters. I've said this many times, prices will need to go way down before mass consumer adoption is obtained. However, "rank and file consumers" WILL pay $499 for an all-in one game console and Blu-ray movie player--that's the genius of it in my opinion. The trojan horse effect.

4th quarter here is going to be a rude awakening for you here I'm afraid, where you'll see your short lived intertia as you so call put it being trumped by the Blu-ray snowball effect. Furtermore the fact is, consumers will buy products from brands they trust, and let's just say when the choices are Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer (with more to come) vs. Toshiba for this year, you'll be suprised to see those who will go with the better backing and the longer history of being a continually trusted and top-ranked brand.

And where are you getting this over 1 million HD DVD playback devices by the end of Q1 2007? Link please? Or are we just supposed to take your and Amir's "inside knowledge" as fact. Phhhhft, ahahaahaha. Now that's a pipe dream. Are you getting it from the HD DVD add-on? Ya know, those add-ons that are historically failures...do some fact finding of you own there chief and look up Sega. Also, it should be known that there will be around 6 million Blu-ray playback devices by the end of Q1 2007. This is really a no brainer, Toshiba + Microsoft's add-on will not be able to sustain the onslaught from the rest of the entire industry. Pure and simple.