Microsoft first to bat with direct-to-television movie downloads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 124
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer

I gotta say, Microsoft did a really smart thing here...Why would anyone pony up $300 for an iTV to stream their standard definition Disney movies to their HDTV when they could invest that money into an xBox 360, assuming they don't already have one, which can do that and a whole lot more? My 360 is already connected to my HDTV. The ability to rent HD-quality films isn't something Apple could give me even if it DID spend $300 for their pretty little white box. And with the use of Connect360, I can already stream my music and photos to my xBox 360...I think Microsoft just rendered the iTV irrelevant.

Good points. Insert regulatory "Apple is teh doomed" here.

That's why I call head fake* with the iTV. Without Paramount and WB, without eventual HDTV support and streaming, XBOX360+LIVE will eat them alive when it comes to movies.

The iTV stuff shown is a brilliant slight of hand on Apple's part. Mockups at best -- something better will come out at MacworldSF 2007 January.

Otherwise their movie-TV strategy could be seriously p*wned. There's enough latency for continuing growth in Macs and iPod music/ tv shows, but the movie battleground and Vista madness, Apple needs to step up and represent in '07.

*http://en.mimi.hu/basketball/fake.html
  • Reply 22 of 124
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

You're kidding right? xBox appeals to mainly teenagers to young adults. Not to mention primarily the male population.

You think my father will want to get an xBox? Nope! Does he want an iTV? He will be first in line.

Not to mention if all you get is a 20GB drive for the xBox and expensive add ons and you are renting your movies....how does that compete with with the iTV which broadcasts from you Mac (basicly unlimited storage as long as you buy the drives to suppport your collections) and movies you will actually own?

I think paying $300 for a box that will let one watch Standard Definition $15 Disney movies on your HDTV is an uneducated purchase. Apple will be losing an iTV sale to all those teenagers and young adults who already own or plan on purchasing an xBox 360.
  • Reply 23 of 124
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

I think paying $300 for a box that will let one watch Standard Definition $15 Disney movies on your HDTV is an uneducated purchase. Apple will be losing an iTV sale to all those teenagers and young adults who already own or plan on purchasing an xBox 360.

My father has an HDTV and has no intentions on downloading movies. Not all teenagers and young adults play video games. I am 24 and I just bought a Playstation 2 this year. I am a not a huge gamer. Do I have any desire to buy an xBox 360 so I could also use it for tv and movies? Nope. Do I have a desire to buy an iTV and the Playstation 3? Yup. (let's not get off subject about console wars)

Again, iTV does a lot more than just stream movies and tv shows.

Again, iTV has mass market appeal, the xBox does not.

Again, xBox storage is limited, any Mac plus the addition to nearly unlimited ammount of external hard drives is not limited.

Need I keep going?
  • Reply 24 of 124
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    The thing I would be most concerned about with the Microsoft service is the portability. Sure, you could save a little money here and there by not buying premium cable and just downloading your favorite movies and or TV shows, but part of the fun of TV is talking about the show you and your friends (IF YOU HAVE ANY) watch. Most TV shows aren't available until the next day, by that time you have already heard what happened from about 10 people. I keep hearing people say they are going to get rid of cable and just download everything. I assure you channel surfing will cost you less than downloading everything you watch. Even the people that say, "I only watch a few shows" you lie... obviosly you were watching some other show and saw a commercial for the "few shows" Nobody woke up and browsed the iTUNES library and said... I NEED TO WATCH THAT MUNSTERS SHOW... you probably saw an episode before.

I am curious if you will be able to put these movies onto the new ZUNE or if it's just going to sit on the side. It looks like a completely different interface than the Zune Marketplace too... hmmm

The point of iTunes is to be able to take your media (music, movies, television shows, home video, pictures, etc.) with you anywhere you need it. It's portable. The iTV is going to be a hub for getting it all into your living room. I can't see families saying... hey!!! let's get our 14 year old kid an xbox 360 and use it to watch our favorite movies. GOOD LUCK WHEN HALO 3 COMES OUT. Kids (and some adults) play games for several days straight. I don't think the xb

The real bottom line is, if you can afford an XBOX 360 or an iTV, you probably are not that concerned about your cable bill. All companies are "crooks"... Microsoft, Comcast, Sony, and yeah... even Apple at times. Choose your poison and cheers!!!
  • Reply 25 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi

The point of iTunes is to be able to take your media (music, movies, television shows, home video, pictures, etc.) with you anywhere you need it. It's portable. The iTV is going to be a hub for getting it all into your living room. I can't see families saying... hey!!! let's get our 14 year old kid an xbox 360 and use it to watch our favorite movies. GOOD LUCK WHEN HALO 3 COMES OUT. Kids (and some adults) play games for several days straight. I don't think the xb

donlphi You bring up a very good point. Portability. What if I want to go to a buddies house and share my pictures with or a video I made, or heck even watch a favorite episode of tv that I happen to have on my iPod? Heck, we won't even need an iTV. The iTV is just a pretty interface to stream your files from your computer to your tv.

Explain to me Cory, how will you do this with the xBox?
  • Reply 26 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

You're kidding right? xBox appeals to mainly teenagers to young adults. Not to mention primarily the male population.

You think my father will want to get an xBox? Nope! Does he want an iTV? He will be first in line and has told me as such.

My point? iTV has as much widespread appeal as the iPod. A product for any generation.

Not to mention if all you get is a 20GB drive for the xBox and expensive add ons and you are renting your movies....how does that compete with with the iTV which broadcasts from you Mac (basicly unlimited storage as long as you buy the drives to suppport your collections) and movies you will actually own?

Actually, my friend's mom is getting her own 360 for Christmas because she is playing Bejeweled on my friend's 360 24/7 and won't play it on a computer. Xbox Live Arcade has content that appeals to everyone. iTV doesn't do much that a 360 can't already do anyways (especially with the new dashboard update that no longer requires Windows MCE to stream video - from your computer - including hi def).

As far as standard definition video that you're streaming from your Mac...You can get an original Xbox and set up Xbox Media Center on it for about $70 which has alot more features than iTV ever will and already does that. It'll even upconvert DVD's and videos to hi def for you!
  • Reply 27 of 124
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    Quote:

Teenagers aren't going to buy an iTV anyway... neither will a college student. I would say it is going for that 25+year old with job stability, now I can buy that cool "fill in the blank". I could see buying one for my parents or even grandparents. They both have Apple computers (not that they would have to) and my siblings and I send photos, home movies, and more to them since we do not live near by.

Comparing iTV to an XBOX 360 is like comparing a Toaster to a Stove. Sure they both cook food, but it's a pain in the rear to scramble eggs in a toaster. \
  • Reply 28 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by posure

Actually, my friend's mom is getting her own 360 for Christmas because she is playing Bejeweled on my friend's 360 24/7 and won't play it on a computer. Xbox Live Arcade has content that appeals to everyone. iTV doesn't do much that a 360 can't already do anyways (especially with the new dashboard update that no longer requires Windows MCE to stream video - from your computer - including hi def).

I think very few people will buy an xBox just for 'arcade' style games. Again, not everyone is a gammer.

Are you forgetting that you're on a pro Mac site where the majority of users here fun only run the Mac OS?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by posure

As far as standard definition video that you're streaming from your Mac...You can get an original Xbox and set up Xbox Media Center on it for about $70 which has alot more features than iTV ever will and already does that. It'll even upconvert DVD's and videos to hi def for you!

I won't be using an iTV for standard definition movies. When I buy my Playstation 3 I will have Blu-Ray which is high def enough. When I convert my movies from DVD to the computer I will be ripping them at the highest quality thus when I do stream they will be exactly that of DVD quality in both audio and video.
  • Reply 29 of 124
    There is a rumor that Apple will offer SD & HD content for Rent & Purchase when the iTV is introduced. We'll just have to wait for the actual release of iTV and then rejoice or cry as appropriate
  • Reply 30 of 124
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Part of the reason iPod was successful is people could load pirate MP3s on it, as well as their purchased AAC.

Likewise if iTV lets people watch pirate XviD files on their TV it might be more successful...
  • Reply 31 of 124
    I think this a smart move from Microsoft

- it can only help boost sales of Xboxs

- it will help generate more revenue per Xbox

- it will help nullify the iTV

- and help the Xbox keep it's edge against the PS3 (do Sony have plans to do this?)

- it also helps to nullify Blu-Ray

- Bill Gates has always said that Blu-Ray / HD-DVD will be the last Disc format there will ever be - after this it will all be internet-based downloads, so now M$ is trying to move that forward before Blu-Ray has arrived.

- and it reduces the cost of watching HD Movies on the XBox

- no need to buy the HD-DVD now.

- if it integrates with Zune (maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday), then that's a great way for a teenager to get clips & tv shows onto their zune, to (potentially) share with their friends.

Given a choice of a $299 iTV showing SD 1.5MBit/s 640x480 Movies bought at $14.99 or a $399 Xbox showing HD Movies rented at $2, I think a lot of people with go with the latter, - if they're interested in games as well.

Of course, M$ also has the benefit that, unlike Apple, it doesn't actually bother making a profit on any of it's businesses other than Windows & Office. So it can reduce the price of anything it likes in order to drive out competition. So it could include the HDD in the $299 model if it wanted, and up the size of the $399 model to give more capacity for more large movies.

So, in conclusion, I'd say smart move M$, maybe I won't buy an PS3, iTV & Video iPod after all!
  • Reply 32 of 124
    i do think that apple should price iTV more aggressively, because for 100$ more you get a full featured gaming platform, not to mention what soms persons can do with that hardware to turn into a normal computer.

225$ give or take 25$ seems more of a fair price to me.
  • Reply 33 of 124
    "beating rival Apple Computer to the punch as the first major player"

They also beat Apple to the punch with their attemps at a viable MP3 Player, that is eating Apple's dust right now.

Being first will help them very little if at all.
  • Reply 34 of 124
    If you own an Intel based Mac or some later G5 iMac's you have something on your computer called Front Row! I can easily connect my Macbook to my television and use the remote to access all the media in my house.

'iTV' (code-named), is simply Front Row for the masses. Just like iTunes (and indeed the iPod) started as Mac only solutions, so too has Front Row been implemented as a Mac only solution. Like iTunes and iPod, Apple is also looking to take both the software and hardware that enables Front Row universal. The so-far-proposed 'iTV's' deferentiating factor is that it has HiDef output as standard.

So, you can already do what Microsoft is proposing now, with your Mac Minis, MacBooks, etc. The interesting thing here is that, as a media solution, Apple's Front Row already has superior functionality to Microsoft's XBox. With the XBox you can't acquire media from the local network within your home. Front Row does this automatically. What will happen, now that Microsoft is entering the frey, is people are going to explore Front Row's limitations, in comparing it with XBox's. A good thing! (BTW, I think Front Row wins hands down.)

NerDBraiN
  • Reply 35 of 124
    Lots of comments have been made here, most of them true, but you've neglected the money. An xbox will lose hundreds of dollars per unit, a subsidy wasted on most xbox customers unless they spend a lot of money on gaming. People downloading tons of movies won't make MS any money because they're competing with walmart and Apple who basically use content as a lost leader to entice other purchases (for walmart it's microwaves, guns, TVs and for Apple its iTVs, iPods, Macs). So, MS bleeds for even xbox sale. Let them have it. This is also why putting a Mac Mini in every living room for the purposes of being LESS than a computer is folly.

Apple will make $100 at least in profit for every iTV, and that device is one Steve-note away from direct Hard Drive connectivity (via USB 2.0), consequent direct-to-TV downloads, and High Def.

I agree, in the short run the price points are too close together (the customer doesn't care whether MS loses money on their new xbox), but that's where a price drop, VOIP support, wireless networking, and a robust entertainment/iPod ecosystem, etc. would all help make the case more compelling.

As long as Apple's ambassador to the living room does everything the xbox does (except gaming) and makes money instead of loses it, my bet is on Apple.
  • Reply 36 of 124
    i like it. i think they are now a real contender. we've all taken our shots at the zune but i think M$ came up big on this one. as i was reading the article last nite i had that tiny little voice in the back of my head say, "oh, thats a good idea."

true it has its faults, but really...they're not playing around. by offering HD they put apple in the stoneage in one blow. plus, they have TWO studios, actual new releases (although i love Cars), and the ability to rent. oh yeah, and its already connected to your tv. right now. holiday 06. not macworld 07.

if this becomes portable with a zune, apple had better look out.

and i can see it now. in a couple years with a new chocolate xbox 1080 with matching chocolate 3G zune to match your burgandy shag and pistachio sectional...in your moms basement.

above all else though this will be a hell of a competition. the consumer wins. but for serious if apple wants to play they need to step it up...and soon. "pipeline" my ass, get it on the market.

see you all in san fran!
  • Reply 37 of 124
    If you own an Intel based Mac or some later G5 iMac's you have something on your computer called Front Row! I can easily connect my Macbook to my television and use the remote to access all the media in my house.

'iTV' (code-named), is simply Front Row for the masses. Just like iTunes (and indeed the iPod) started as Mac only solutions, so too has Front Row been implemented as a Mac only solution. Like iTunes and iPod, Apple is also looking to take both the software and hardware that enables Front Row universal. The so-far-proposed 'iTV's' deferentiating factor is that it has HiDef output as standard.

So, you can already do what Microsoft is proposing now, with your Mac Minis, MacBooks, etc. The interesting thing here is that, as a media solution, Apple's Front Row already has superior functionality to Microsoft's XBox. With the XBox you can't acquire media from the local network within your home. Front Row does this automatically. What will happen, now that Microsoft is entering the frey, is people are going to explore Front Row's limitations, in comparing it with XBox's. A good thing! (BTW, I think Front Row wins hands down.)

NerDBraiN
  • Reply 38 of 124
    Does/will this work outside the US?

It still bothers me that you can't get any TV or Movie content on iTunes outside the US

- if MS cracked that one, that would be good news for those of us stuck in the old-countries!
  • Reply 39 of 124
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Who says that Apple will sell SD movies? They upped the resolution a few months ago and they could do that again when the iTV is released.
  • Reply 40 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Microsoft Corp. said Monday it will begin selling television and movie downloads through its Xbox Live service later this month, beating rival Apple Computer to the punch as the first major player to offer a direct-to-television movie download experience.… Customers will have a window period of two weeks from the time they first purchase films to they expire. However, once a customer begins watching a flick, they'll have only 24 hours to finish.…

I asked my 17 year-old son what he thought of the idea. "What? But you're going to have to buy your own Xbox." My 14 year old looked at it another way. "Great. We can hook it up to the plasma and when I get tired of playing my Sony Playstation 3 you are getting me for Christmas, I can play my brothers Xbox games on the big screen. Works for me."

So let's see. I can sneak into my son's room and quietly dive into the mess to unhook his Xbox so I can re-connect it to our bid screen. That or I buy my own Xbox so I can rent a movie which I must watch within 24 hours.

Of course, I could wait (but not my younger son) to see what Sony will be offering with their new machine.

But then I could get iTV when it comes out, and wirelessly watch what I want on the big screen with my wife, or view it alone on my new iPod which I have placed at the top of my list to Santa.

So I've decided to leave it to Santa. And she is leaning towards a pearl necklace. Go figure.