Microsoft first to bat with direct-to-television movie downloads

Comments

• Reply 41 of 124
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcdstudios

if this becomes portable with a zune, apple had better look out.

If? It's a disaster that it doesn't do that from the beginning.

MS now has three different stores for content and the don't work together or on the same devices.
  • Reply 42 of 124
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mavrik89

S With the XBox you can't acquire media from the local network within your home.

Um, yes you can.
  • Reply 43 of 124
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core

So let's see. I can sneak into my son's room and quietly dive into the mess to unhook his Xbox so I can re-connect it to our bid screen. That or I buy my own Xbox so I can rent a movie which I must watch within 24 hours.

As has been mentioned above, you have 2 weeks to watch the movie.
  • Reply 44 of 124
    Good, so MS is limiting its potential buyer to an already small user base, the 4 million xBox Live subscribers... and then limit it again to xBox 360 owners! I guarantee Apple will sell more iPods this holiday season than MS will xBoxes.

Myself? I'm thinkin' that PS3 is lookin' mighty fine.

*glances at bank account*

Ish.

Nevermind.

-Clive
  • Reply 45 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

hey buddy, sry to tell you that you got confused.

1. You only have 24 hours to see the movie entirely anytime you start to play it

2. Once you rent the movie and finnish the main streaming to your xbox360 you have 2 weeks (14-15 days) in order to begin play it.

Its very clear on the AI report:

"However, once a customer begins watching a flick, they'll have only 24 hours to finish."
  • Reply 46 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

Not with my kids.
  • Reply 47 of 124
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

You're kidding right? xBox appeals to mainly teenagers to young adults. Not to mention primarily the male population.

You think my father will want to get an xBox? Nope! Does he want an iTV? He will be first in line and has told me as such.

Well, at least Apple has the valuable "Feynman's Dad" demographic covered.
  • Reply 48 of 124
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco

What a loaded statement.

All I was saying is that Apple is aiming iTV at exactly the same audience as the iPOD - everyone.

What is the xBoxs main audience? Gamers.
  • Reply 49 of 124
    It's a cool idea, but doesn't interest me since Netflix is WAY cheaper for rentals. MS hasn't announced pricing yet, if it's too high, it sends this whole thing down the toilet.

Also, does it let you watch any video content you have, or just stuff from the MS store?

Hopefully the inclusion of HD will pressure Apple to offer it sooner rather than later. Those will be some big files, though. It will be interesting to see how the user experience is.

And if the 360 makes a good enough video player, I wonder if we'll see many users buying one and using it for just that and not playing games (meaning MS loses money on those sales).
  • Reply 50 of 124
    Microsoft seems to have forgotten about the lessons learned with DIVX. 24 hour DRM ruins it for me.
  • Reply 51 of 124
    Quote:

I think it would go not only for "Feynman's Dad" but anybody's dad or family. Obviously if you were raised on video games you are interested in playing the x-box 360. It's a game... hell, put an Atari 2600 in front of us and we are all going to try and get the high score on ateroids, who wouldn't.

I still think we are comparing products that serve a different purpose. Xbox is and always will be a game machine. When I was a kid we played atari, nintendo, sega, etc. on a TV in a different room so our parents could watch TV or a movie on their betamax video player in the living room. For a lot of families this is still going to apply. I don't think the family is that interested in watching their 12 year old son play Halo 3 on the xbox. I also don't think a kid is going to like the idea of mom and dad watching Under the Tuscan Sun on the FAMILY XBOX while he is supposed to be playing Halo 3 with his friends online.

iTV is going to be used as a way to watch media on your TV without dragging an entire computer into your living room. It will be your very own PERSONAL ON DEMAND. If you "back up" your DVDs with Handbrake you will be able to access those from the living room. iTUNES, iPhoto Folders, and home video footage from grandma and grandpas visit for "little joey's" birthday. All of this a click away...

It's the personal touch that Xbox is missing... it's not family oriented at all. It's fun as hell to play, but let's not kid ourselves. It is a game box, not a living room media center.
  • Reply 52 of 124
    My first post here... lets see how this goes.

I think that Microsoft actually has a decent idea here. There are a few people already that have the xBox 360, and of those that I've talked to that do, like the idea of having all the media accessible from one central place. Allowing rent-able downloaded movies at HD quality just ups the usability of the machine itself. I remember my roommate my freshman year in college modding his xBox to play SNES games, all the music off his Linux machine, and videos from my eMac. Then again, not every one has that kind of skill nor time.

And there are those who do not have an xBox 360, but are most likely going to purchase one this year in the holiday season. This too will be an added bonus for them.

And more so, there are those who won't touch an xBox with a ten-foot pole (myself included) who like the idea of having an iTV like system, something simple that hooks up to the TV and can use the iTunes store to play videos.

Then there are those who have gotten their computers, both PC's and Macs hooked into their TV's, and have that house all the media on a large hard drive, and play back s-video or composite or whatever their computer supports. They have probably the best of all worlds with the ability to utilize both the iTunes store on Apple, and what ever Microsoft has in store for Windows Vista.

It all really depends on the user. To me, this matters none. I have a Mac-Mini all hooked up to a surround sound system, a decent TV, and what not, while my MBP sits on my desk. Heck, I can remote log in and stream videos from my Mac mini to 100 miles away and watch it on my MBP (poor quality of course) over the internet. But as for a service, once its released for Windows, I'll be able to play it all on my MBP if I want to, and stream it over to my mini on the TV, not a problem. If I want disney, I can hit up iTunes, if I want WB, I hit up Microsoft. Again, its all dependent on the user, and what they want out of a video service, their machines, and the ease of use.

Most of all, I think its more dependent on what people have already. I won't go out and buy an xBox nor an iTV, nor a iPod Video. I already have all I need to watch videos/music anywhere. There are quite a few people out there who already have everything they want or need for this, and most of them have it hooked up already.

It will be interesting to see where this goes.
  • Reply 53 of 124
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    I am a pretty simple consumer, I like the simplicity of putting in a DVD and hitting the play button, but I went to xbox.com and I am thinking about one now. Games, HD-DVD, media center, movie rentals. Time to save up some money now.

24 hours work for me because if the movie if I can't make time to watch it in 24 hours, probably not worth my time anyway.
  • Reply 54 of 124
    I really think what a lot of people are missing here is that iTV is not just for television and movies. It's for everything in your digital hub.

I would like everyone here who thinks MS has a winner and Apple has a loser to tell me how you will easily share everything else that MS is not offering with their movies and tv store.

iTV works in the sense I can not only stream tv and movies but also home made videos, my photos, music, and whatever else Apple have up their sleeve.

I am getting the over all feeling of the people who have posted here (and are pro Microsoft) are gamers but if we do a mass poll with all demographics I think we will see very mixed results.
  • Reply 55 of 124
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123

24 hours work for me because if the movie if I can't make time to watch it in 24 hours, probably not worth my time anyway.

Will you people read the article? It's very clear that you have two weeks to watch the movie. 24 hours to finish watching it once you've started.

• Reply 56 of 124
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:

Will you people read the article? It's very clear that you have two weeks to watch the movie. 24 hours to finish watching it once you've started.

2 weeks? Damn, that is some serious procrastinating.
  • Reply 57 of 124
    Quote:

I don't think that anybody doesn't realize what the conditions are. The issue is that once you start the movie, you have 24 hours to finish watching it and tough luck if you don't watch start watching it within the two week period.
  • Reply 58 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core

I don't think that anybody doesn't realize what the conditions are. The issue is that once you start the movie, you have 24 hours to finish watching it and tough luck if you don't watch start watching it within the two week period.

Not to mention how many people will start playing it by mistake?
  • Reply 59 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

I really think what a lot of people are missing here is that iTV is not just for television and movies. It's for everything in your digital hub….

I agree.

In addition here are other caveats to the Xbox.

Most Xbox's are controlled by the kids. Most families that just have one Xbox per household, if any. Most Xbox's are hooked up to the kid's TV. Not the giant screen or the 42" plasma in the family room. For mom or dad to have to ask young Johnny for his Xbox to watch a movie will undoubtedly create delay, conflict or consternation hooking, unhooking and rehooking.

A few years ago, there was a study done which compared the viewing habits of free, rental and fully purchased movie videos. Interesting that the free or videos that were given to you, were least watched, or that the time to watch was somewhat greater than the video you bought yourself. However, more significant was the difference between the free/bought and those videos that were rented. However, the longer the rental period, the greater chance that you wouldn't watch it at all. Also interesting, was the fact that if the movie was playing on TV, many would watch it, rather than the one they owned, which as it turned out, was often still in its original (unopened) package. (Little kids the exception)

Equally important, is the fact that renting music has been a failure. Seems obvious. We would rather own it, by hook or by crook. So why would video be any different.

Whatever happens, Microsoft's solution will be old fashion and difficult, but appropriate for most of the market. While Apple's solution will be innovative and exceptionally simple, but satisfying for all the market.
  • Reply 60 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123

2 weeks? Damn, that is some serious procrastinating.

I don't think that anybody doesn't realize what the conditions are. The issue is that once you start the movie, you have 24 hours to finish watching it and tough luck if you don't finish watching it with the two week period.