Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2006)

Comments

• Reply 1641 of 2106
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Because if you have a HDTV you're getting HD Lite with satellite or cable HD. The discs you buy today are still going to look great across generations of hardware.
  • Reply 1642 of 2106
    now i figured the PS3 was going to have problems, since all consoles launches do but this bad? no i did not think it was going to be THIS bad

and technically a majority of owneres haven't even recieved their boxes considering everyone is selling on ebay

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/746/746492p1.html
  • Reply 1643 of 2106
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I think it is pretty apparent Sony's largest issues are not hardware but in fact software. The hardware is capable the problem is their OS is bloated compared to Microsoft's, regardless of the numbers you believe, and they are certainly having scaling issues, which I can only assume will be updated later.
  • Reply 1644 of 2106
    Just as an addendum. A very interesting interview with Sony Australia's managing director. He talks about HD players really not taking off until the 2nd half of next year as well as consoles. I also agree with this quote. If I owned an Xbox and was a parent there is really no incentive to touch a 360. If you own a PS2 there will be far more loyalty once prices drop.

Quote:

Xbox pulled the support of Xbox with no notice to consumers, retailers or publishers. I think they've made a major strategic error, because every PS2 that we sell into homes, there's a very good likelihood that home will upgrade to a PS3 because it's backwards compatible. We're disappointed on the delay because of the anticipation, but if you sit back and look at the business, and how long a format is around, I think within a year or two, the delay will not even register.

• Reply 1645 of 2106
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Telomar

Just as an addendum. A very interesting interview with Sony Australia's managing director. He talks about HD players really not taking off until the 2nd half of next year as well as consoles. I also agree with this quote. If I owned an Xbox and was a parent there is really no incentive to touch a 360. If you own a PS2 there will be far more loyalty once prices drop.

backwards compatibility is overrated, HIGHLY overrated.

you're talking about the core gamers who purchse 5 or more games a year

average consumers dont get no where near those numbers

xbox 360 is compatible with all their popular games, i think thats sufficient enough.
  • Reply 1646 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler

nearly nobody plays movies on their game systems.

When PS2 was released the DVD player market was tiny with DVD players costing a fortune. After PS2's release sales of DVD's went throught the roof. Sony are looking to replicate the achievement with PS3 and with stand-alone Blu-Ray players costing upwards of $1,000 there's a good chance they will.

360 is an irrelevance in a Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD thread as it will have little to no impact on the outcome of the winning format, it doesn't playback Blu-Ray or HD-DVD's!!!

The 360 HD-DVD add-on is a last minute attempt for the machine not to appear obsolete. It is in fact a standalone HD-DVD player (albeit a cheap one) that hooks up to a 360 and can't be used for gaming. It's like sticking a VHS recorder to a toaster and saying that the toaster is VHS compatible!
  • Reply 1647 of 2106
    Wombling that's a bit of hyperbole. The Xbox 360 is far from obsolete and I'm going to buy one in 2007 but I'll hold out and see if one with an integrated HD DVD is delivered. I'm hearing there is still demand for the add on which bodes well for both game consoles because it does show a willingness for people to use their consoles for multiple functions.
  • Reply 1648 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womblingfree

When PS2 was released the DVD player market was tiny with DVD players costing a fortune. After PS2's release sales of DVD's went throught the roof. Sony are looking to replicate the achievement with PS3 and with stand-alone Blu-Ray players costing upwards of $1,000 there's a good chance they will.

360 is an irrelevance in a Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD thread as it will have little to no impact on the outcome of the winning format, it doesn't playback Blu-Ray or HD-DVD's!!!

The 360 HD-DVD add-on is a last minute attempt for the machine not to appear obsolete. It is in fact a standalone HD-DVD player (albeit a cheap one) that hooks up to a 360 and can't be used for gaming. It's like sticking a VHS recorder to a toaster and saying that the toaster is VHS compatible!

Yes, you do have a point. Nearly no one DOES play DVDs on their gaming systems, but they most certainly DID.
  • Reply 1649 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler

nearly nobody plays movies on their game systems.

I am surprised to hear this. The people I know who've wanted to purchase PS3s are completed interested in the BR player, and HDMI, and few, and in some cases, no game titles. I haven't played any PS2 games in quite a long time, with the exception of some occasional Madden, and I am definitely looking forward to getting my hands on a PS3 specifically for movies.

Oh, and when I first purchased a PS2, part of my rationalizing the price at the time was the fact that I wanted a DVD player.

I would disagree with your assessment. If it's true, I can't imagine why it wouldn't change. Unless BR players are much less expensive then I think they will be, or streaming video becomes the next widely used tech in home movies, which I currently doubt it will to the extent that it really effects the HD end of the market. At least, in the near future.
  • Reply 1650 of 2106
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Ouch, this hurts..... The article says PS3 is not all that.....

http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...560635,00.html
  • Reply 1651 of 2106
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac

Ouch, this hurts..... The article says PS3 is not all that.....

http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...560635,00.html

No - he says that the launch titles are not great except Resistance: Fall of Man and the games that are common with the 360. He does not say anything bad about the PS3 - it is a nicer unit than the 360 (replaceable hard drive, built in power supply, built in wireless, built in bluetooth, 7 controllers, HDMI, built in blu-ray, etc).
  • Reply 1652 of 2106
    Here's quotes from few paragraphs:

"
    Quote:

Look at what you get. The Playstation 3 is expensive: $500 or $600 bucks, depending on which version you buy, plus $60 for each game. (An Xbox 360 only costs $400 max, and Nintendo's Wii ? yep, that name, still funny ? is only $250.) For that kind of scratch you want the deluxe treatment, and the PS3 simply doesn't deliver it. It's got some good-looking games, but unless you have a top-notch TV, the difference isn't mind-blowing. (And even if you do have a fancy TV, Sony makes you supply your own HDMI cable. Stingy.) And Sony's launch line-up just isn't that interesting. Almost all the PS3's outstanding games ? F.E.A.R., Madden NFL '07, Need for Speed: Carbon, Call of Duty 3 ? are available on the Xbox 360, and most (all except F.E.A.R.) are out for the Wii, too. There just isn't the leverage there to make buying a PS3 de rigeur.

But so is Gears of War, the stunning shooter just out for the Xbox 360. Resistance isn't enough to drive sales of a $600 console, or it shouldn't be. Playstation 3 doesn't have a battle-tested, feature-rich online service the way the Xbox does. It doubles as a Blu-Ray DVD player (that's the main reason for the high retail price), but guess what? Nobody cares. And did I mention Playstation 3 controllers don't rumble? Whose genius idea was that? Without rumble, it just ain't a jungle.

Give it time. The price will (probably) come down. Sony's online strategy will (probably) mature. More decent games will come out ? the Playstation3 is notoriously difficult to develop for, and game-makers are still figuring out how to get the most out of it. Next holiday season, it just might be worth it.

For now it's pretty much moot anyway. Because of the difficulty of manufacturing Playstation 3's, Sony has only been able to put a few hundred thousand units on sale in the U.S., so unless you spent last night camped out in front of a Gamestop, buying a Playstation3 is not an option. Congratulations: you made the right call. And you smell better for it, too.

• Reply 1653 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir

backwards compatibility is overrated, HIGHLY overrated.

you're talking about the core gamers who purchse 5 or more games a year

average consumers dont get no where near those numbers

xbox 360 is compatible with all their popular games, i think thats sufficient enough.

I find it amusing and hypocritical that you'll criticise the PS3 for having 200 backward compatibility issues then dismiss the fact that the 360 only has roughly 200 games that it even supports, and some of them aren't perfect. It is by no means all the popular games, particularly if you are from outside the US and it is a blatant insult to anybody who owned an Xbox to even suggest the 360 is actually backward compatible. Or perhaps that is just a testament to the gulf that truly exists between Microsoft and Sony in terms of software support.

You must be young because you have no idea what most families are like. People that buy over 5 games a year are gamers and they tend to buy multiple systems because they are gamers at heart. Parents, and the people who are still buying PS2s or bought one over the last couple of years, who buy stuff for birthdays, are actually the core gaming audience as they make up the majority of the market. They are the people who value the ability to buy a console then invest in games down the line when the initial slug of a console is paid off.
  • Reply 1654 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Telomar

I find it amusing and hypocritical that you'll criticise the PS3 for having 200 backward compatibility issues then dismiss the fact that the 360 only has roughly 200 games that it even supports, and some of them aren't perfect. It is by no means all the popular games, particularly if you are from outside the US and it is a blatant insult to anybody who owned an Xbox to even suggest the 360 is actually backward compatible. Or perhaps that is just a testament to the gulf that truly exists between Microsoft and Sony in terms of software support.

You must be young because you have no idea what most families are like. People that buy over 5 games a year are gamers and they tend to buy multiple systems because they are gamers at heart. Parents, and the people who are still buying PS2s or bought one over the last couple of years, who buy stuff for birthdays, are actually the core gaming audience as they make up the majority of the market. They are the people who value the ability to buy a console then invest in games down the line when the initial slug of a console is paid off.

first off i crticise sony for claims that they make as a company

"we have true HD", yet a majority of their games dont play in 1080p, and not to mention now it is unknown if the upscaling problem is hardware or software. what a b*tch that will be when people find out their 1080i tv's wont work for the ps3.

i criticise sony for its claim that the 360 ditched a majority of its xbox customers by not making ALL the games compatible (which is funny because most sony fanboys say the xbox only had a few great game) , and then they have issues with making those games work on the ps3.

and please dont talk abotu insulting people outside of the U.S because Sony has done nothing more but flat out crap on europe .

as for your last paragraph, i have no idea what you're trying to say there. the core audience (the make up of parents buying for their kids) which isn't even the core audience this time around (considering the gaming population has aged significantly) will buy the system and then invest in games later? explain that to me furhter since i'm assuming you're a family man.
  • Reply 1655 of 2106
    How did this thread get hijacked by the Microsoft/Sony game argument? Now that all the game machines are out, this debate doesn't belong in Future Hardware let alone this thread.

I value the debate between HD and BluRay. One would hope that those that want to argue the merits of XBox 360 and PS3 would start a new thread in General Discussions.
  • Reply 1656 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73

How did this thread get hijacked by the Microsoft/Sony game argument? Now that all the game machines are out, this debate doesn't belong in Future Hardware let alone this thread.

I value the debate between HD and BluRay. One would hope that those that want to argue the merits of XBox 360 and PS3 would start a new thread in General Discussions.

Let's not get anal retentive here. Microsoft's xBox 360 and Sony's PS3 are certainly on topic for this forum. One has BluRay and the other (is yet to) support HD-DVD. Gaming systems were a major part of the original DVD revolution, and I suspect they will play a big part in this DVD format revolution.

Case in point: I was at best buy today and a few guys were checking out the PS3 and the xBox. I overheard the father saying, "yea, It's 200 dollars more but it can play blu-ray DVDs". They bought the PS3.

The major advantage over BluRay that HD-DVD has right now is price. But I suspect Blu Ray players will be coming down in price quickly. Also at best buy I noticed that all of the Blu Ray dvd player boxes were gone but only one of the HD-DVD player boxes were gone. It would appear that more people are buying Blu-Ray...
  • Reply 1657 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

Case in point: I was at best buy today and a few guys were checking out the PS3 and the xBox. I overheard the father saying, "yea, It's 200 dollars more but it can play blu-ray DVDs". They bought the PS3.

What city and state are you living in where there are just "spare" PS3s just sitting out on store shelfs? I find this a little hard to believe. 3 days after launch, there just happen to be PS3's sitting on a store shelf for people to walk up and buy, after people camped out to get them, and people with pre-orders are being told to wait. I'm calling bull-shit.

Quote:

The major advantage over BluRay that HD-DVD has right now is price. But I suspect Blu Ray players will be coming down in price quickly. Also at best buy I noticed that all of the Blu Ray dvd player boxes were gone but only one of the HD-DVD player boxes were gone. It would appear that more people are buying Blu-Ray...

And at my local best buy, they are sold out of HD-DVD players, and have a shelf full of the blu-ray players. Anecdotal vs anecdotal.

Amazon listing:

Toshiba HD-A1 #908

Xbox 360 #16 (In Computer & Video Games)

Xbox 360 HD Addon #53 (In Computer & Video Games)

Sony BDP-S1 #11,341

Samsung BD-P1000 #2,281

Panasonic #13,256

Philips BDP9000 #23,597

PS3 #775 (In Computer & Video Games)

According to this, HD-DVD looks to be more popular.
  • Reply 1658 of 2106
    even though i appreciate icefires defense that the gaming console debate should be in this thread, his blatant b.s regarding sony and the ps3 lmao was pretty damn amusing.
  • Reply 1659 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787

What city and state are you living in where there are just "spare" PS3s just sitting out on store shelfs? I find this a little hard to believe. 3 days after launch, there just happen to be PS3's sitting on a store shelf for people to walk up and buy, after people camped out to get them, and people with pre-orders are being told to wait. I'm calling bull-shit.

And at my local best buy, they are sold out of HD-DVD players, and have a shelf full of the blu-ray players. Anecdotal vs anecdotal.

Amazon listing:

Toshiba HD-A1 #908

Xbox 360 #16 (In Computer & Video Games)

Xbox 360 HD Addon #53 (In Computer & Video Games)

Sony BDP-S1 #11,341

Samsung BD-P1000 #2,281

Panasonic #13,256

Philips BDP9000 #23,597

PS3 #775 (In Computer & Video Games)

According to this, HD-DVD looks to be more popular.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir

even though i appreciate icefires defense that the gaming console debate should be in this thread, his blatant b.s regarding sony and the ps3 lmao was pretty damn amusing.

Blatant BS? Thanks!

I live in Illinois (CU area) - There were no PS3's in stock, but they bought it anyways. The Best Buy guy said they had more coming in for Black Friday. Use your brains.

Anyways, neither Blu Rray or HD-DVD are selling much of anything, so at this point, its really anybodies game in terms of that. Blu Ray has an advantage in features and performance, supporting companies and movie studios, and HD-DVD (right now, but probably not for long) has an advantage in price.
  • Reply 1660 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

Let's not get anal retentive here. Microsoft's xBox 360 and Sony's PS3 are certainly on topic for this forum. One has BluRay and the other (is yet to) support HD-DVD. Gaming systems were a major part of the original DVD revolution, and I suspect they will play a big part in this DVD format revolution.

Please stop making up stories... You saw someone buying a PS3 off the shelf at BB?.... Who's dream was this? Or are you a fortune teller and can see 2 years in advance?

I'm not sure if you've even been to local BB and to the BD or HD-DVD section, but in most stores have stacks of boxes, mostly opened, of Samsung BD players, and almost empty shelves for the Toshiba.

Anyway, if you're not dreaming, please do tell me where I can pick up a PS3 other than ebay..... TIA!