Acer unveils Windows, Android tablets to compete with Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 169
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

According to this article the tablets won't ship until Feb/April 2011, and they'll only be matching the specs of the CURRENT iPad? They'll be competing against the iPad2 by then.

What's the point of pre-announcing a product 5 months early that's barely comparable to what's already out there for sale today?

Answer: Acer is panicked that Samsung may get a lock on "branding" the Android tablet market with its Galaxy tab. So, just like RIM, they announce a product way early. "Don't forget about us!" Acer figures it will be able to beat Samsung and the rest on price, just like it does with notebooks. they also have to wait for a tablet ready version of Android next year because they can't write their own front end software in-house like Samsung can.

Acer isn't really thinking about Apple or iPad2 at all, despite the trash talk. it knows it can't compete with premium Apple products, as that guy admitted earlier this year. its business goal is instead to be #1 in the low-price segment of the commodity device Windows/Android markets with the cheapest stuff that works ok (mostly). Remember, globally the low-price segment is huge, much more important than it is in the US.

but these business realities won't stop the hit-whoring media from trying to hype these Acer products as "iPad killers."
  • Reply 62 of 169
    Do the new Acer machines have a USB port? The most Apple-ish thing about the Ipad is that it's an absolutely CLOSED computing environment, making it essentially useless from my perspective. Hoping the Acer doesn't suffer from the same level of proprietary paranoia.
  • Reply 63 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomsj View Post

Do the new Acer machines have a USB port? The most Apple-ish thing about the Ipad is that it's an absolutely CLOSED computing environment, making it essentially useless from my perspective. Hoping the Acer doesn't suffer from the same level of proprietary paranoia.

Aren't you the same guy that tried to break into my house last week??!!

Baaaaaaaaaa
  • Reply 64 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Trying to kill iPad sales over Christmas would be my bet. Remember how many trolls here were saying they would not buy the iPad at launch as the Courier was just around the corner? The anti-Apple or about to convert to Apple types are their targets with this IMO.

As you say they will be up against Mk II iPad by the release not to mention all the other clones ... all eating each other's lunch.

That's the target market

• Reply 65 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Trying to kill iPad sales over Christmas would be my bet.

that would be laughably ludicrous if true. Apple is rev'ing up its best-in-the-world hype/marketing machine to push iPad holiday sales. bringing the 4.2 update on-line, which guaranteed massive media coverage, the week before the holiday sales season starts is the well-timed big hype. next will come a wave of new iPad TV ads, plus all other media too (do you see all the iPad poster ads around town?). and most clever of all, do you see the top TV series episodes where the heros use iPads for something neat? like on NCIS last night? (what did that cost Apple?).

up against this, Apple marketing vs. Acer's announcing is not even Goliath vs. David. it's like Goliath vs. an ant.
  • Reply 66 of 169
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

iPad is not designed as a high productivity device and anyone who needs high productivity also has a full computer. If a person without a computer bought an iPad and had someone else activate it, their required feature set would be much lower than yours and certainly wouldn't include a USB port.

The main obstacle for using an iPad as a high productivity device is not its lack of ports but instead its lack of a user accessible file system. Once you accept the limitations of the device the sooner you'll start having fun with it.
  • Reply 67 of 169
    Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 68 of 169
    We now have 3 each in my Household!

My Acer Tablet has quickly become the first gadget I reach for when I head out the door (next to my Samsung Tab, my HP Slate, and my Samsung Fascinate) - It's Near-Perfect - IMO.
  • Reply 69 of 169
    "I'm a PC and crappy looking knockoffs are my idea."
  • Reply 70 of 169
    I really like the look of this, but I can already tell it is going to be too expensive and since every model has 3g, it looks like it is going the Samsung route in having cell providers subsidize the cost to make it affordable.
  • Reply 71 of 169
    Quote:

um, actually the iPad dock connecter IS also a USB port. which is why you can plug cameras and recording devices into it with an adapter to download, and all those docking accessories work with it.

i get that you would like it instead to be an all purpose USB like a computer. but of course that is not what the iPad is all about - it is not an all purpose computer. so don't get one.
  • Reply 72 of 169
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHardest View Post

My Acer Tablet has quickly become the first gadget I reach for when I head out the door (next to my Samsung Tab, my HP Slate, and my Samsung Fascinate) - It's Near-Perfect - IMO.

Welcome to the forum
  • Reply 73 of 169
    Quote:

Perfect!!!

ROFLMFAO
  • Reply 74 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

" . . . will have . . . will ship . . . will . . . should . . . might . . . ought to . . . plans to . . . uh . . . could . . . uh . . .

Once again, and at the risk of repeating myself . . . This is all vaporware! V-A-P-O-R-W-A-R-E! This is little more than pie-in-the-sky. Potemkin Villages! Cardboard and dreams! These devices WILL be able to do anything, right? Change your oil, babysit your children, pay your taxes. In short . . . EVERYTHING!

Promises are made of platinum, ladies and gentlemen. It's reality that's made of iron (and, of course aluminum). I'll live with genuine, shipping products and not phantomware!

Shel Silverstein said it best:

All the Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas

Layin' in the sun,

Talkin' 'bout the things

They woulda coulda shoulda done...

But those Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas

All ran away and hid

From one little Did.

-Shel Silverstein-
  • Reply 75 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Another new poster comparing HW to an OS. This has to be the work of another TeckSpud or iGenius alias.

or DaHarder etc etc ..,
  • Reply 76 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What does he have to do with any of this?

actually I don't believe "he" even exists, I was just using the same language as the first guy

But if he did exist, you KNOW he would have an ipad.
  • Reply 77 of 169
    Quote:

You should stick to the engadget forums, rather than troll the Appleinsider ones.
  • Reply 78 of 169
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

Historically, Apple has not to compete with anyone but themselves? Everyone has copied Apple from Microsoft to Google, and they have always reversed engineered Apple's previous offerings with lower UI standards,half-assed quality, and even more laughable User Experience. They never get it right, and they do not get it. I wager no can, or has EVER given apple ANY competition since OS 9. Apple does their own thing, they march to the beat of their own drum. Everyone else scrambles to copy and throw their poor offerings hoping to ride the wave. The delusional CEOs say they will over take Apple in quality and experience. The only company that has more experience in personal computer that sells wares to consumers is Microsoft and Dell. The problem there is their CEO's Michael and Steve. They are flip-flopping about Apple's devices while sprinting to reverse engineer their own. Hell even Microsoft rushed the Slate and the name to "get" Apple, yet it's still not OUT! Cause once the iPad came out, they had to completely retool it.

And you think ACER, really, ACER the bargain bin PC maker is even going to even be able to product a quality product worth even a quarter of apple's build? they make plastic boxes. No wonder there is no video of this devices, they are too sad to show live.

Oh please. There's only a little truth in what you say. I know this is an Apple fan site, and your way of thinking gets stretched to say the least, but don't blatantly ignore reality.

Even if everyone just copies Apple, how does that not constitute competition!?

Competition is what has spurred Apple's innovation first and foremost. Whether it's from from knock offs, or true competing innovators. No company has ever continued to innovate when their current business model had no competition. That's the beauty of capitalism: There will ALWAYS be competition moving things forward. This is why I hate republicans who hand over power to large corporations, undermining the capitalistic system, and stifling competition and innovation, but I digress...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post

Well, actually, it IS just Apple. All these companies are in competition with each other as well, but they are not innovating like Apple is. Giving credit to them for Apple's innovation just doesn't make sense.

No, it ISN'T. Intel for instance is doing great things. You just aren't paying attention.

And btw "Giving credit to them for Apple's innovation just doesn't make sense." straw man. Clearly I'm giving credit to Apple's competition for Apple's motivation. The credit for their innovation, or any company's innovation for that matter goes to the innovator!
  • Reply 79 of 169
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:

Is 3 your lucky number. Do you always get everything in 3 for yourself.

Curious how to do fund yourself for all these, you should be getting paid.
  • Reply 80 of 169
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

So let me get this straight: AI posts an article on the success of the Galaxy Tab in order to troll Apple fans into coming in for a massive circle jerk, a GT owner proclaims how much he likes his instead of joining in with the Apple fanboy's illogical bashing of the device, now you create an alt to mock the guy...

Actually, I'm honestly not surprised I'm seeing this from someone on these forums.

When it comes to Android, you fanboys call people morons for buying any device that runs an OS not designed for morons...