Acer unveils Windows, Android tablets to compete with Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 101 of 169
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I can't recall exactly but I think the aTV needs to be set up with a DHCP wireless access point and an iTunes account first. When you move it I'm not sure you can reestablish functionality in an ad hoc environment with only a companion iPad.

If that's the case then I'll add fixing that to my list of demands above. Apple would be missing a huge opportunity if they only think of Apple TV as being a stay in one place living room device. I mean, you can literally slip the thing into your pocket, it takes up less room than an actual VGA cable.
  • Reply 102 of 169
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

So that would be an upgrade from his original tablets?

took me a second
  • Reply 103 of 169
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

If that's the case then I'll add fixing that to my list of demands above. Apple would be missing a huge opportunity if they only think of Apple TV as being a stay in one place living room device. I mean, you can literally slip the thing into your pocket, it takes up less room than an actual VGA cable.

I'm not at home right now but you could unplug your wireless router and then restart your aTV to test it.
  • Reply 104 of 169
    Quote:

I can't recall exactly but I think the aTV needs to be set up with a DHCP wireless access point and an iTunes account first. When you move it I'm not sure you can reestablish functionality in an ad hoc environment with only a companion iPad.

Quote:

Ahh... I see!

How can I test this?

Turn all the computers and routers off, then power off/on the AppleTV & iPad?

• Reply 105 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ahh... I see!

How can I test this?

Turn all the computers and routers off, then power off/on the AppleTV & iPad?

Sounds like the way to test it. You'll make my day if it works. I'll also have to run not walk to the Apple Store to buy an AppleTV.
  • Reply 106 of 169
    Wouldn't aTV remember its last settings? I think you'd need to physically take the thing to a different wireless environment, fire it up cold and see what happens.
  • Reply 107 of 169
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I mean, you can literally slip the thing into your pocket, it takes up less room than an actual VGA cable.

I don’t think many people realize just how small this thing became with the update.
  • Reply 108 of 169
    Quote:

Wouldn't aTV remember its last settings? I think you'd need to physically take the thing to a different wireless environment, fire it up cold and see what happens.

I think it would be the same as if it found no wireless. That is the scenario you want to test first then in the presence of a foreign network which you would want it to be able to ignore or join gracefully.
  • Reply 109 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t think many people realize just how small this thing became with the update.

Yeah, that's what got me going. You make something that small (iPod size) you seem to be suggesting something about how you might put it to use. It becomes an accessory, or a dongle, instead of a "set-top box."

Assuming Apple can (or wants to) work out the particulars, I can see just keeping one on my person and knowing that I can show stuff most anywhere.
  • Reply 110 of 169
    Quote:

I think it would be the same as if it found no wireless. That is the scenario you want to test first then in the presence of a foreign network which you would want it to be able to ignore or join gracefully.

It's the "join gracefully" part I'm particularly interested in, since that would make popping an aTV onto whatever screen was available as easy as plugging in a monitor cable. Better, because once you're set you're not tethered.

Honestly, I think Apple should just start including these with Macs, like a kind of super cable.
  • Reply 111 of 169
    This is getting exciting. Dick what's the hold up? I may have to unexpectedly go home if I don't get the answer soon.
  • Reply 112 of 169
    Quote:

This is getting exciting. Dick what's the hold up? I may have to unexpectedly go home if I don't get the answer soon.

I had lots of computers to turn off.

Both ATV and iPad require a WiFi Network to be available -- mine is an AirPort Extreme.

Don't know if you can ad hoc connect these.

More in a few minutes.
  • Reply 113 of 169
    Day before holliday... Market is closed... AAPL up...

... Take rest of day off -- tell'em I said it was OK. \
  • Reply 114 of 169
    Quote:

tell'em I said it was OK. \

I talk to myself all the time anyway.
  • Reply 115 of 169
    Quote:

I talk to myself all the time anyway.

It's okay to talk to yourself, so long as you don't listen.
  • Reply 116 of 169
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Not to mention that all your work would have to be vetted by a legal department to try to cover possible patent infringements and then executive level decisions would be made as far as licensing of IP or how far the company should go in pushing the boundaries of existing IP before your work sees the light of day.

Having to go back to the drawing board would have to be disheartening.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Exactly. I'd also add that innovating must be a hell of a lot more exciting than copying. I suspect the iPad team are very motivated and happy. These feelings show in their work. Spending all day trying to get as close as possible to another product must be pretty miserable and that shows too.

• Reply 117 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It's okay to talk to yourself, so long as you don't listen.

Listening's OK -- It's bad when you begin telling yourself jokes...

...Then stop yourself, because you've heard that one before!
  • Reply 118 of 169

I just got my main computer back up -- I never shut all this stuff off.

I'm going to poke around and see what I can find about ad hoc networks on the iP4, iPad and AppleTV.

• Reply 119 of 169
    Quote:

I just got my main computer back up -- I never shut all this stuff off.

I'm going to poke around and see what I can find about ad hoc networks on the iP4, iPad and AppleTV.

I just got home and I plan to check it out as well. We know that aTV can run on ethernet so what affect that has on Airplay I'm not sure, but I will report back if I find anything.

m
  • Reply 120 of 169
    Quote:

Listening's OK -- It's bad when you begin telling yourself jokes...

...Then stop yourself, because you've heard that one before!

Badda-boomp!