Star Wars Episode 3

zozo
Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Woohoo!!!

Just went to see the midnight screening here in Paris.

All I have to say is this: I *loathed* Episodes 1 & 2 (2 to a lesser extent, but still...)

Episode 3 makes up for these two in a big way.

The CGI is what it is supposed to be.... Yoda works totally. Even the trained eye would be impressed. Had me thinking of the animatronic version from the old episodes. The space battles and all the rest is really well done. Excellent amazing lighting. Very convincing. Not the crap of Ep1 and 2.

What a beginning!! Throws you right in the action. Great stuff!!

Some very nice tie-ins for Episode 4. The inside of the "Blockade Runner" had me smile. Lots of subtle hints to Episode 4. Including the totally 1970s haircuts and clothes

The acting holds.

The downfall of the Jedi is pretty powerful.

And just one word: Chewwy!!! Yeeah!

Anikin burning up is... ouch...

Jar Jar is seen twice. And thankfully never utters a single word nor makes a sound.

Low points: The salamander chicken Obi Wan rides. Its just silly.

Big let down: Darth Vader "acting" as he asks the fate of Padme and consequent reaction. That was just wrong.

The music. Absolutely nothing original . Re-hash from Ep 1 and 4-5-6. Guess Williams is getting bored and old.

PS Yoda... kicks... ass. Best character in the whole thing. I'd nominate him for Oscars like Smeogol from LoTR.

Just to sum it up, great movie and if Lucas can keep it up, I wouldn't mind seeing him do 7-8-9.

Oh.. and PLEASE re-render and touch up Ep1+2 before making the HD-DVD super-hyper edition. And obviously... KILL JAR JAR!!

PS Sorry if the ramblings are not necessarily chronological... am just... rambling

Comments

• Reply 1 of 224
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Cool.

I've been planning on seeing it sometime in the next two weeks. I didn't mind Ep1, but I don't like child actors, so I don't think I plan on watching it much in the future. Episode 2, I liked. I still preferred 4,5,6, but I did think 2 was pretty good. Hopefully 3 will be better than 2. 4,5,6 all had their own mega-chessy annoying moments, and I think it's fine if 3 has a few.
  • Reply 2 of 224
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    SPOILER WARNING DON'T READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD IF YOU HAVENT SEEN THE MOVIE !!!!!!

just saw it. totally agree with everything above.

BEST STARWARS EVER.

the vader thing ~ just thing frankenstein reference, filmmaker homage/ in-joke thing. face it. seeing anakin burning, nothing after that would be more powerful. directors cut on dvd should clean that up, otherwise do your own fan edits

obiwan on the chicken thing - yup, no.2 dodgy moment for me, but obiwan's acting throughout is stellar.

umm... that's about it for the annoyances. oh no.3 is grevious is not as badass as i expected from watching clone wars vol 1. i somehow expected more badass-ness from him.

umm other than these three points,

BEST STARWARS EVER. BEST FILM OF THIS CENTURY THUS FAR I WOULD SAY, FOR ME PERSONALLY.

it's Lucas' masterpiece and definitely i think 'our' generation (10-60+ year olds that will live through this century), star wars ep.3 will be considered a 21st century science fiction piece of film literature.
  • Reply 3 of 224
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Just to sum it up, great movie and if Lucas can keep it up, I wouldn't mind seeing him do 7-8-9.

Oh.. and PLEASE re-render and touch up Ep1+2 before making the HD-DVD super-hyper edition. And obviously... KILL JAR JAR!!

PS Sorry if the ramblings are not necessarily chronological... am just... rambling

lucas can't keep it up. he's done his masterpiece. it's on to making 3d versions and television, he says...

rip the high-def dvd version, do your own edits, resave as h.264. sweet

that way cut out all the annoying bits you don't like for a super-tight version of all 6 films

i'm rambling too. it's 3AM now where i am and i'll be up a bit... posting madly perhaps
  • Reply 4 of 224
    sweet. do you think its worth going too? because i know ill go out and buy the movie as soon as it comes out... i turn 18 soon so ill be able to go to a later showing when less people arent there which will be cool.... welll take care
  • Reply 5 of 224
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Grievous was indeed monumentally more bad ass in the Clone Wars cartoon. It would've been nice to see that aspect more... but seeing it in CGI is impressive. Its so fast, you can't possibly have any idea about what the heck is going on...
  • Reply 6 of 224
    you people keep making me more tempted to go see... hmm.. sounds like a plan... when i turn 18... im going to the movies b/c that way i can come home late because of the fact im going to a late show
  • Reply 7 of 224
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I only really got into star wars a week ago but saw the first two (Episode I and II that is at the cinema). It was an amazing film - good conclusion to the series, powerful and dark. I just feel a bit empty now! Also good irony.
  • Reply 8 of 224
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Excellent effects, set design, coreography and action.

Cheesy dialogue and cardboard acting.

Glad it is all complete now.
  • Reply 9 of 224
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

i'm glad its all over now, but you have to admit episode 3 is like a million times better than 1 and 2. and episode 4, 5, 6 aside for nostalgic purposes, we can safely file away as 20th century kitsch sci-fi
  • Reply 10 of 224
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

but you have to admit episode 3 is like a million times better than 1 and 2.

This is true...but the bar was set pretty low with those two.

I was thinking about this today and thinking they could have thrown out #1, half of #2...combined the remaining half of #2 into #3, tightened things up a bit and had a single 3 hour prequel that would have handled everything. Of course...that wouldn't have made nearly as much $$.
  • Reply 11 of 224
    true, it wouldnt have made as much money...

im looking forward to the sword fight between obi wan and anikan... i think that'll be a cool fight....
  • Reply 12 of 224
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    *Spoilers*

The book made Obi Wan out to be the badest Jedi ever and IMHO, he is.

However, I can't remember Chewy in the book. Maybe they left that part out, who knows, or maybe I wasn't paying attention.

The book was great, I know the movie will be.
  • Reply 13 of 224
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Chris Cuilla\t

Agreed

Quote:

MacCrazy\t

I only really got into star wars a week ago but saw the first two (Episode I and II that is at the cinema). It was an amazing film - good conclusion to the series, powerful and dark. I just feel a bit empty now! Also good irony.

Empty is a good word for it, but I must say I was disturbed (maybe the irony did it?) and maybe a little disappointed, guess my expectations were a little too high. Can't say what was missing or was too much, just feel there was something out of place. Probably feel different after I see it again, perhaps some time other than 12AM.

PS. The light saber fights were out of control!
  • Reply 14 of 224
    Quote:

This is true...but the bar was set pretty low with those two.

I was thinking about this today and thinking they could have thrown out #1, half of #2...combined the remaining half of #2 into #3, tightened things up a bit and had a single 3 hour prequel that would have handled everything. Of course...that wouldn't have made nearly as much $$.

What? Episode III is the fastest cut movie I've ever seen. If any more plot points had been crammed into that short a time the audience would've collectively thrown up out of sheer Star Wars barrage.

Also, ignoring the "I love you more" scene and the term "younglings", the acting and the dialogue were totally on point.

The only two real complaints I had were the cheesy wipes and the nauseatingly fast pace.
  • Reply 15 of 224
    westonmwestonm Posts: 140member
    The "cheesy wipes" are kind of a Star Wars hallmark at this point though, clearly seen in even episodes IV, V, and VI. Not to say they aren't "cheesy", but they're nothing new in the Star Wars universe.
  • Reply 16 of 224
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I think it would have benefited from being a bit longer but a truly excellent conclusion. I just want more! It's so sad about Anakin and Padme (i don't care if the spelling is atrocious).
  • Reply 17 of 224
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

Also, ignoring the "I love you more" scene and the term "younglings", the acting and the dialogue were totally on point.

Pretty much any scene with both Portman and Christiansen has cheesy dialogue and stiff acting.

Here's a good one:

Anakin Skywalker: The Jedi turned against me. Don't you turn against me.

Senator Amidala: Anakin, you're breaking my heart!

I think my favorite cheesy bit was the Frankenstein-Marlon Brando/"Street Car Named Desire" bit. Those who have seen the movie will know exactly what I am referring to.

Another gem was the bit near the end with Yoda and Senator Organa and the decision about Leia. Again, for those that have seen the movie, you'll know exactly what I am talking about.

George Lucas is NOT a screenwriter...but he's too powerful for anyone to actually tell him that. He appears to be not that great of a director either. Story visionary? Sure! Tremendous imagination? Absolutely!

He did fine on episode 4, but you'll notice he got help (and improved pictures) on 5 and 6. Then things tanked for 1 and 2. The action and effects for 3 were fantastic, but the dialoge and acting seemed to regress to pre-episode-1 levels.

• Reply 18 of 224
    Quote:

...... The action and effects for 3 were fantastic, but the dialoge and acting seemed to regress to pre-episode-1 levels.....

huh? dialogue and acting i think most people will agree much much better than episode 1 and 2.

trying to compare episode 3 to 4, 5, 6, in terms of dialogue and acting, i say is like comparing apples to oranges ~ i mean, 4, 5, 6, action/adventure films, particularly those involving harrison ford, are sort of the kinda blaise antihero with witty, off-the-cuff remarks. episode 3 is much more 'serious' sci-fi kind of thing, with almost a frank-herbert-Dune-like scope to the whole saga, particularly with anakin being able to see into the future but not being able to change it...

i have to admit here though that i need to re-watch empire strikes back and see how that measures up with episode 3's dodgy bits..
  • Reply 19 of 224
    Quote:

i had trouble sleeping last night, mostly because i've got a cold but also,

yes, just thinking the amount of garbage in episode #1 and #2 that could be thrown out. episode #3 aside from 'dodgy bits' that will be probably looked upon fondly as kistch references to films of the 20th century ?? (no excuse for some dodgy acting bits but like we agree, much better than episode 1 and 2) .... episode 3 was tightly edited and story pacing was very good.... IMHO

yup the wipes are a star wars hallmark, which would make it advantageous for combining episode 1 and 2 into a 2.5 hour single movie.
  • Reply 20 of 224
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    I frelling LOVED it.

In fact, I CRIED! My kids thought I was crazy.

And at the end, I wanted to go home and pull out Star Wars (A New Hope) and watch it all over again.

Way more action than drama, but I think Lucas stuck to his strengths more this time--avoided too many of the "love" scenes--but the sense of tragedy was still strong.

I AM going to see it again.