Star Wars Episode 3

Comments

• Reply 101 of 224
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    My main problem with the 1-3 music is that it's more conventional sounding. In 4-6 lots of the music was done with oboes, clarinets and flutes guiding the melodies. It created a very unique presence. Conversely, 1-3 mostly used strings and horns, which, even with well scored music, leads to lacking in the freshness department, and hurts continuity a little between the 6 movies.

The other gripe, musically, I had, was with episode 2, when they goto that bar chasing the changling, I cannot believe they didn't take the opportunity to have some kicking rad cantina music!
  • Reply 102 of 224
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i'll save my rant for my full blog entry in the next couple days, but how bout Anakin's PSP in Ep III? Terrible.
  • Reply 103 of 224
    igrantigrant Posts: 180member
    WOW, i thought that it rocked, I saw the movie last night and thought is was the best one I had seen out of the new ones that have been made. It answered alot of question that I had.
  • Reply 104 of 224
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Wasn't the asian actress Bai Ling supposed to be in Episode 3?
  • Reply 105 of 224
    Speaking to the 'rapid replacement' of the death star... this is an interesting point.... can someone timeline all of this out?

How many years are supposed to have passed from end of episode 3 to episode 4? (in other words how old is Luke?)

Then how many years are supposed to have passed between Episode 4 and 6?

This can give us the 'death star timeline'. Funny, I've had several people bring this up as an issue.

EDIT: Found this timeline. It puts the time between death stars as 4 years. (for death star 1 and 2)

http://www.starwarschicks.com/rpg/timeline.html

We know luke had to be what... 16 17 at least? Hum....

EDIT EDIT: Okay reading on it dates Luke at 20. So lets see... They didn't quite have the DS2 finished so lets say that it would have been finished by year 7 (which is fair considering a good 1/3 of it was missing)

A 3 fold improvment in efficiency? I'll buy that. (given the previously stated technology improvments as well as the 'we've already done this once' factor)
  • Reply 106 of 224
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

Wasn't the asian actress Bai Ling supposed to be in Episode 3?

http://www.theforce.net/episode3/sto..._III_91921.asp
  • Reply 107 of 224
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Speaking to the 'rapid replacement' of the death star... this is an interesting point.... can someone timeline all of this out?

How many years are supposed to have passed from end of episode 3 to episode 4? (in other words how old is Luke?)

Then how many years are supposed to have passed between Episode 4 and 6?

This can give us the 'death star timeline'. Funny, I've had several people bring this up as an issue.

EDIT: Found this timeline. It puts the time between death stars as 4 years. (for death star 1 and 2)

http://www.starwarschicks.com/rpg/timeline.html

We know luke had to be what... 16 17 at least? Hum....

EDIT EDIT: Okay reading on it dates Luke at 20. So lets see... They didn't quite have the DS2 finished so lets say that it would have been finished by year 7 (which is fair considering a good 1/3 of it was missing)

A 3 fold improvment in efficiency? I'll buy that. (given the previously stated technology improvments as well as the 'we've already done this once' factor)

I have always assumed they began construction on the second death star, maybe even before they fully finished the first death star. They most likely started at least once DS1 was finished, but it's not outside the realm of reason to think they'd want 2+ of these things from the get-go.

Additionally, The DS2 was 'fully operational' despite looking half complete. This implies that their priority was creating another super laser, not necessarily a full blown death star station(which was for all intensive purposes a small city as well as a weapon)
  • Reply 108 of 224
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Two Death Stars??

I thought there was only one. it was damaged in EP4 but not put out of commission, was repaired and brought back online in EP 6.
  • Reply 109 of 224
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    SPOILER HERE... but honest to god, if you've read the thread this far, you've got half the script already...

i posted this on another message board, but what the heck is up with george lucas and dismemberment? shall we do a tally?

anakin/darth vader = both arms, both legs

count dooku/tyrannus = both arms, head

jango fett = head

general grievous = two hands

mace windu = entire right arm

luke skywalker = one hand

hoth beast = entire arm

c-3po = every limb (okay, that's kinda cheating since it was from a blaster rifle, but he spends a good chunk of TESB as a bag of bits on chewie's back, and gets his head um, misplaced, in AOTC)

darth maul = lower half (or upper half, if you're an optimist)

i know i am missing some, but seriously, what the hell?
  • Reply 110 of 224
    Alien Fugitive in the cantina = arm

Darth Vader also loses one of his robotic hands in return of the jedi

I dunno... I think it's just a byproduct of playing with, oh you know, super powered laser swords!
  • Reply 111 of 224
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i posted this on another message board, but what the heck is up with george lucas and dismemberment? shall we do a tally?

well the weapon of choice is a light saber, which is basically a sword. What other mortal wound can you conflict with a sword? a deep stab? that is not very dramatic, is it? Also unlike a sword, a saber does not have a dull edge. not like you can knock someone on the head with it. If you notice, it cauterises as it cuts or dismembers if you will. Hence no bleeding. So, even though tons of people are killed on the Star Wars movies, very little blood is shown.

Again with the traction beam power of the force, maybe dismembering is the only way to ensure the holder does not get his weapon back.

Maybe cutting the head off is the traditional method of Jedi execution. Sorta like the Highlander movies.
  • Reply 112 of 224
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jamil

Two Death Stars??

I thought there was only one. it was damaged in EP4 but not put out of commission, was repaired and brought back online in EP 6.

it completely blew up in Episode IV!
  • Reply 113 of 224
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Well wouldn't being vaporized technically fall under the category of "damaged"?

• Reply 114 of 224
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

actually, Georges wife cheated on him, and left both him and the children.... poor george....

She must have been banging her head on the wall for the past 20years, considering how much more she would have walked out with if she had stuck on till today
  • Reply 115 of 224
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Darth Vader also loses one of his robotic hands in return of the jedi

ah yes! that means dv has lost THREE arms.

guys, seriously, i KNOW they're dealing with laser swords. i was kinda joking... but seriously, there IS a lot of dismemberment when you start thinking about it. wonder if lucas has a trophy case at home, or the various limbs stuffed and hanging ont he walls in his reading room at skywalker ranch.

• Reply 116 of 224
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    You boys ought to see some Kurosawa films if you think Lucas is dismemberment happy.

Jedi are mostly Samurai, don't forget.
  • Reply 117 of 224
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

anakin/darth vader = both arms, both legs

count dooku/tyrannus = both arms, head

jango fett = head

general grievous = two hands

mace windu = entire right arm

luke skywalker = one hand

hoth beast = entire arm

c-3po = every limb (okay, that's kinda cheating since it was from a blaster rifle, but he spends a good chunk of TESB as a bag of bits on chewie's back, and gets his head um, misplaced, in AOTC)

darth maul = lower half (or upper half, if you're an optimist)

i know i am missing some, but seriously, what the hell?

Do AT-ATs and AT-SEs count? I think a few of them get "beheaded"...

And C-3PO gets his arm knocked off in A New Hope after the Sandmen attack.

Darth Vader gets his head cut off by Luke in The Tree dream.

And doesn't Obi-Wan's R5 unit get it's head ripped off by the buzz droids in E3?
  • Reply 118 of 224
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

And doesn't Obi-Wan's R5 unit get it's head ripped off by the buzz droids in E3?

Something about this one bothered me a little more than some of the other ones. I think because it was TORN off, not sliced off, as well as the likeness to the endearing R2
  • Reply 119 of 224
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

ah yes! that means dv has lost THREE arms.

guys, seriously, i KNOW they're dealing with laser swords. i was kinda joking... but seriously, there IS a lot of dismemberment when you start thinking about it. wonder if lucas has a trophy case at home, or the various limbs stuffed and hanging ont he walls in his reading room at skywalker ranch.

vader lost FOUR arms.

1. episode 2 - dooku cuts of arm.

....arm replaced by cybernetic one

2. clone wars animated series - anakin goes on some quest, loses cybernetic arm

...arm replaced by cybernetic one

3. episode 3 - anakin loses non-cybernetic arm

...anakin is f8cked, becomes full-on cyborg

4. episode 6 IIRC - luke cuts of a vader's hand

...vader dies saving luke and killing emperor

LUCAS has a dismemberment fetish

just look at the droids getting chopped up and stuff... well, it is the technique with lightsabers though...
  • Reply 120 of 224
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

You boys ought to see some Kurosawa films if you think Lucas is dismemberment happy.

Jedi are mostly Samurai, don't forget.

Not to mention that Lucas is a huge fan of Kurosawa.