Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Golden Master to developers

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 152
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

64 bit. 32-bit isn't even supported under Lion.

If Lion is 64-bit kernel only, and Apple says that Core 2 Duo and later Intel CPUs can support Lion, then some of the Core 2 Duo machines that could only run a 32-bit kernel in Snow Leopard are now enabled to run a 64-bit kernel when Lion is installed. Otherwise, Apple failed to qualify their public information correctly regarding Lion specs.
  • Reply 142 of 152
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

If Lion is 64-bit kernel only, and Apple says that Core 2 Duo and later Intel CPUs can support Lion, then some of the Core 2 Duo machines that could only run a 32-bit kernel in Snow Leopard are now enabled to run a 64-bit kernel when Lion is installed. Otherwise, Apple failed to qualify their public information correctly regarding Lion specs.

I see what you're getting at. I wonder if they did enable 64-bit for those C2D machines with a 32-bit bus. Anyone with a Santa Rosa (I think) machine running Lion that can shed some light?
  • Reply 143 of 152
    Quote:

I see what you're getting at. I wonder if they did enable 64-but for those C2D machines with a 32-but bus. Anyone with a Santa Rosa (I think) machine running Lion that can shed some light?

Santa Rosa and Merom, please. Thanks
  • Reply 144 of 152
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    10.7 Lion is officially supported on Core 2 Duo Macs with 32-bit EFI, which cannot boot a 64-bit kernel. I expect 10.8 to include only a 64-bit kernel and not run on machines with 32-bit EFI.

I would not be surprised if 10.7 Lion boots the 64-bit kernel by default on Macs with 64-bit EFI, but I would be surprised if it's impossible to boot a 32-bit kernel on these machines.
  • Reply 145 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

10.7 Lion is officially supported on Core 2 Duo Macs with 32-bit EFI, which cannot boot a 64-bit kernel. I expect 10.8 to include only a 64-bit kernel and not run on machines with 32-bit EFI.

I would not be surprised if 10.7 Lion boots the 64-bit kernel by default on Macs with 64-bit EFI, but I would be surprised if it's impossible to boot a 32-bit kernel on these machines.

Well, as I understand it, an iMac 7,1 does have a 64-bit EFI because I ran a Terminal command (which I can't remember off-hand) that confirmed it. Nevertheless, that machine with the Merom CPU can only run a 32-bit kernel with Snow Leopard. As has been pointed out, Santa Rosa was on a 32-bit bus.

I will know for sure when I try to install Lion?say tuned for the answer to this mystery!
  • Reply 146 of 152
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Well, as I understand it, an iMac 7,1 does have a 64-bit EFI because I ran a Terminal command (which I can't remember off-hand) that confirmed it. Nevertheless, that machine with the Merom CPU can only run a 32-bit kernel with Snow Leopard. As has been pointed out, Santa Rosa was on a 32-bit bus.

I will know for sure when I try to install Lion…say tuned for the answer to this mystery!

Before and after screen shots would be awesome. In fact, you can do an easy screenshot of what Startup Mode Selector displays.
  • Reply 147 of 152
    Quote:

Before and after screen shots would be awesome. In fact, you can do an easy screenshot of what Startup Mode Selector displays.

I took a snapshot of your suggested tool via Preview, but seem unable to import it into an AI forum.

The png snapshot shows:

Your current configuration (iMac 7,1)

64 bit processor

64 bit EFI

32 bit kernel boot mode

32 bit kernel

(deleted URL to boot loaders)

A mid 2007 24" iMac 7,1 has a 'Merom' C2D CPU.

I will post results after I try to install Lion.
  • Reply 148 of 152
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

I will know for sure when I try to install Lion?say tuned for the answer to this mystery!

To clarify, I did not mean that 64-bit EFI is sufficient to boot a 64-bit kernel. I meant that 64-bit EFI is necessary to boot a 64-bit kernel.
  • Reply 149 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

To clarify, I did not mean that 64-bit EFI is sufficient to boot a 64-bit kernel. I meant that 64-bit EFI is necessary to boot a 64-bit kernel.

Understood.
  • Reply 150 of 152
    Quote:

I took a snapshot of your suggested tool via Preview, but seem unable to import it into an AI forum.

The png snapshot shows:

Your current configuration (iMac 7,1)

64 bit processor

64 bit EFI

32 bit kernel boot mode

32 bit kernel

(deleted URL to boot loaders)

A mid 2007 24" iMac 7,1 has a 'Merom' C2D CPU.

I will post results after I try to install Lion.

Here are the results:

System VersiontMac OS X 10.7 (11A511)

Kernel VersiontDarwin 11.0.0

Boot VolumetMacintosh HD

Boot ModetNormal

Computer NametBert Pxxxxxxxx’s iMac

User NametGeneral (genc)

Secure Virtual MemorytEnabled

64-bit Kernel and ExtensionstNo

Time since boott31 minutes

So, mcarling…you have it right. Those C2D machines that could only run a 32-bit kernel in SL retain that configuration in Lion.
  • Reply 151 of 152
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Just letting everyone know that the official launch version IS this GM (11A511). They have been verified.

Quote:

GM Build: 11A511

GM InstallESD.dmg MD5: b5d3753c62bfb69866e94dca9336a44a

App Store Build: 11A511

App Store InstallESD.dmg MD5: b5d3753c62bfb69866e94dca9336a44a

• Reply 152 of 152
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Just letting everyone know that the official launch version IS this GM (11A511). They have been verified.

Cheers