Android growth prior to iPhone 5 launch further established market dominance

Comments

• Reply 41 of 185
    What should we learn from this story ?

Place a mole in a successful company and steal their ideas ?

That is the world al about isn't it. Stealing.

I pisssssss on Android.
  • Reply 42 of 185
    Another shift of the goal posts.

Here's a brief history of claims on this site:
    1. Android phones will never sell in Apple's new market.
    2. Android will never outsell iOS.
    3. No single company will sell more phones than Apple.

Do you see the trend?  The business model for Android lends itself to market domination, and whether or not you want to believe it, Android will control the smartphone market within a couple years.  But Apple is not going anywhere.  Apple will continue to gain sales but at a rate that gives them a shrinking portion of the pie.  Get your head out of the sand!

Exactly.

Both platforms will exist.

So other than providing the headline "Android dominates over the iPhone" what is the result from all of this?

Android will have a bigger slice on the market share piechart... and Apple will sell millions of iPhones every week and makes a crap-ton of money doing it.

Am I missing something? It's been like that for years.

If anything... it proves that the #2 is still an OK place to be.... the scrappy little underdog :)
  • Reply 43 of 185
    macrulez wrote: »

Interesting that most of the comments related to the referenced article basically suggest that Android sucks.

"If android and iOS cellular usages are about the same while android phones are reported to have 2x ios market shares, it shows android users are 50% less likely to surf the web using cellular network than iOS users. What gives?"

"Well, that’s basically Gruber’s theory: that many Android smartphones aren’t being used as smartphones."

"If you take in to account that Android is outselling iOS and developers depend more on ads to generate revenue, clearly more Android users use their phone as feature phones."

"iPhone users are happy to use their phone’s web browser even when they’re at home, but Android users prefer using a computer over their phone unless they’re on the go and don’t have another data connection."

"I think many Android users simply don’t turn on the WiFi as much and iOS handles the transition between WiFi and cellular much more smoothly."

"wifi is much less power efficient on Android than on iOS, so Android users tend to leave it turned off, even when they’re within range of wifi networks. "

"people unable to use the wifi of their workplace because of their buggy android device, while cursing the IT department for the “incompatible” wifi."
  • Reply 44 of 185

That link may be misleading if one doesn't read it thoroughly. But when you do, a plausible explanation (and a better one that Android users being too dumb to use Wifi) emerges.

The Wifi traffic includes tablets. Particularly in the US, the iPad margin over Android tablets more than makes up for the Android margin over iPhones. Would be interesting to see the trends outside the US - something that Akamai promises for the future.

• Reply 45 of 185

Next headlines:

Android OS takes a 99% market share of smartphones.

Apple still dominates mobile web browsing. Share now 3:1.

Apple increases smartphone profit share to 83%.

Apple sells 100 million iPhone 6 in the holiday quarter.

Samsung again leaves Apple in the dust with combined sales of 100.1 million.

• Reply 46 of 185
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevt View Post

Sure they never eradicated Macs from the face of the earth

But it was very close.

In every market there is a minimum marketshare you need to survive.

If the market has a lot of players this minimum is low. The less players there are the higher the minimum is.

As in the PC business in the smartphone market the number of players is not determined by the companies selling phones but by the number of OS platforms in use.

And I'm really confident Apple is now big enough to survive even the death of all other players besides IOS and Android.

• Reply 47 of 185
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Another shift of the goal posts.

Here's a brief history of claims on this site:

1. Android phones will never sell in Apple's new market.

2. Android will never outsell iOS.

3. No single company will sell more phones than Apple.

Do you see the trend?  The business model for Android lends itself to market domination, and whether or not you want to believe it, Android will control the smartphone market within a couple years.  But Apple is not going anywhere.  Apple will continue to gain sales but at a rate that gives them a shrinking portion of the pie.  Get your head out of the sand! 

The scenario you paint is too simplistic.  What about tablets and laptop computers?  The reason Android is succeeding at all is because cell phone companies push Android devices out of fear of Apple taking over the market.  The cell phone companies are in desperate need of competition to the iPhone to prevent Apple from controlling their market.  That motivation does not exist with tablets and is why the iPad continues dominating the market.  The iPad mini and Kindle devices are going to squeeze Android devices to nothing.

When it comes to tablets, the phone companies who drive Android sales actually become a hinderance.  Who wants to buy a tablet from ATT or Verizon? uhggg.  Android sellers have no established retail channels and businesses aren't pushing Android devices (businesses actually prefer the iPad for security reasons and better software).  

Android will continue its market dominance in phones for people that only want a phone.  However, the mobile war is a platform war that involves choosing software to run on devices that people actually use.  The vast majority of mobile users that actually buy software are Apple users who are buying up iPhones, iPads, and MBAs.  They are creating an ecosystem that will be just as "sticky" as the Microsoft platform, if not more.  

Android will be left with a whole lot of worthless phone sales.  When the phones stop advancing, we may actually see an uptick in iPhone market share as a result of people seeking device compatibility with their laptops and tablets.    

• Reply 48 of 185
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Statistics.... 

Okay so these are all pretty much based on sales figures, right? not actual active subscribers, right? 

As with the Mac vs PC "war" over the years - I posit that Apple products remain in productive use far longer than products from most other (perhaps all) vendors. 

In fact my original iPhone 2G has just become my niece's first cell phone. How many 4 year old Android phones are still being used at all - much less as active cell phones? 

Market share is not the cumulative total of all devices ever sold. It is the cumulative total off all device sold minus the number that have been permanently decommissioned (destroyed, broken, dropped off the back of a boat in the Chesapeake Bay). 

And didn't China only just get the iPhone 5 a couple weeks ago - not sure if the hundreds of millions of potential iPhone customers in China have been accounted for yet. 

So just making up numbers here - if Apple has sold 15% of 100,000,000 phones world wide compared to 85% of the same 100,000,000 phones being Android - but 90% of the Apple devices are still in use while only 50% of the Android devices are still in use, that would mean that rather than 15% Apple would still have about 25% of the active market. 

As for growth when expressed in percentage is not nearly so useful - if I gave you 2 cents today and then gave you 100% more tomorrow that would only be 4 cents - whereas if I gave you 1 million dollars today and then just 0.1% of that tomorrow that would be $1,000. which would you rather have? 100% more than 2 cents or 0.1% of a million? 

As for me - there is at the very least one iPhone 5 in my future (when 4S contract is up) and potentially 3 others in my immediate family around the same time - with one 4S and a couple 4s likely to be passed down to my son and my other nieces. 

• Reply 49 of 185

Why is the anal-syst releasing this gas now?   He might be trying to tip the scale toward the selling of apple stock - especially for those debating on selling it before the end of the year to realize tax benefits.  

He wants to create downward momentum for apple stock so when apple releases their next quarterly report and smashes it - he and his comrades can bank in the spike that ensues.  

• Reply 50 of 185

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Exactly.

Both platforms will exist.

So other than providing the headline "Android dominates over the iPhone" what is the result from all of this?

Android will have a bigger slice on the market share piechart... and Apple will sell millions of iPhones every week and makes a crap-ton of money doing it.

Am I missing something? It's been like that for years.

If anything... it proves that the #2 is still an OK place to be.... the scrappy little underdog image

Wow....Apple is a scrappy underdog? We all get what you are saying, but a hundred years from now someone looking back at this will be scratching their heads asking how someone could possibly describe the second largest company in the world (by market cap) as the "scrappy underdog".  

• Reply 51 of 185
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yet, how do you explain that far fewer developers have apps for Android?

It's either because there is no money on Android for developers, or this below, or both.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20754182

• Reply 52 of 185
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Enterprise won't touch Android due to the security risks and easily hacked infrastructure. That's where the big money is and businesses are lining up for iOS.
  • Reply 53 of 185

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Interesting that most of the comments related to the referenced article basically suggest that Android sucks. ...

That's why everyone compares it to Windows.

• Reply 54 of 185

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Statistics.... 

Okay so these are all pretty much based on sales figures, right? not actual active subscribers, right? 

As with the Mac vs PC "war" over the years - I posit that Apple products remain in productive use far longer than products from most other (perhaps all) vendors. 

In fact my original iPhone 2G has just become my niece's first cell phone. How many 4 year old Android phones are still being used at all - much less as active cell phones? 

Market share is not the cumulative total of all devices ever sold. It is the cumulative total off all device sold minus the number that have been permanently decommissioned (destroyed, broken, dropped off the back of a boat in the Chesapeake Bay). 

And didn't China only just get the iPhone 5 a couple weeks ago - not sure if the hundreds of millions of potential iPhone customers in China have been accounted for yet. 

So just making up numbers here - if Apple has sold 15% of 100,000,000 phones world wide compared to 85% of the same 100,000,000 phones being Android - but 90% of the Apple devices are still in use while only 50% of the Android devices are still in use, that would mean that rather than 15% Apple would still have about 25% of the active market. 

As for growth when expressed in percentage is not nearly so useful - if I gave you 2 cents today and then gave you 100% more tomorrow that would only be 4 cents - whereas if I gave you 1 million dollars today and then just 0.1% of that tomorrow that would be $1,000. which would you rather have? 100% more than 2 cents or 0.1% of a million? 

As for me - there is at the very least one iPhone 5 in my future (when 4S contract is up) and potentially 3 others in my immediate family around the same time - with one 4S and a couple 4s likely to be passed down to my son and my other nieces. 

You illustrate my early point perfectly.  You buy Apple devices because you want the device, which is why you pass it down (because other people want your used device).  The only reason Android phones are successful is because the phone companies want to sell them, not because anyone wants to buy them.  The Android phones are not going to be sold cheaper because they are already being sold at a loss to get/keep cell phone subscribers.  

Apple can have whatever percentage of the market it wants based off its pricing of its iPhone.  If it wants more sales, it can lower the price.  That isn't going to change anytime soon and it scares the hell out of cell phone providers. (which is why they give away Android devices).  Apple will continue to price the iPhone to maximize profits and that is exactly what they should be doing. 

• Reply 55 of 185
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Smartphones running Android saw double-digit marketshare gains in the third quarter as Apple?s iOS lost substantial ground, leading one analyst to believe that Google's OS may be primed to take over the entire market.

Aren't Android devices outselling everything else like 47 to 1? (okay, 3 to 1 against everything else & 5 to 1 against Apple)

How is it "poised" to take over?

All the stories say it is simply crushing everything else yet it still hasn't taken over the entire market?

-> Google's Eric Schmidt says Android 'clearly' winning against Apple in phones

"while the latest data from Gartner gives Android a 72 percent of the smartphone market,"

• Reply 56 of 185

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunabku View Post

Why is the anal-syst releasing this gas now?   He might be trying to tip the scale toward the selling of apple stock - especially for those debating on selling it before the end of the year to realize tax benefits.  

He wants to create downward momentum for apple stock so when apple releases their next quarterly report and smashes it - he and his comrades can bank in the spike that ensues.  

Precisely.. So why does Appleinsider give this douche the time of day.

• Reply 57 of 185

Your post is spot on for the most part except . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by ash471

The only reason Android phones are successful is because the phone companies want to sell them, not because anyone wants to buy them.

Some people truly want andriod devices because they have feature advantages over the iphone - i.e. bigger screen etc.  Of course taken as a whole the andriod experience is sub-par for the typical consumer - but the consumer knows or at least thinks he knows what he wants.  And yes sometimes the sales rep is there to help the buyer convince himself that he wants an andriod device.

• Reply 58 of 185

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

Enterprise won't touch Android due to the security risks and easily hacked infrastructure. That's where the big money is and businesses are lining up for iOS.

This point cannot be overstated.  There is a gradual shift going on in the PC world and the shift isn't to Android...its to Mac.  I've seen the barriers to using at Mac at my work come crumbling down in just the last year.  Just the thought of my IT department tolerating Macs in the workplace even a year ago was like thinking in 1985 that the Berlin wall would come down.  Yet here I am using a Mac at work.

I went to a business meeting last week with 5 guys from 4 different companies and all of us were using a Mac Book Air and an iPhone.  Yes MBA cost a little more than a POS dell or HP, but laptops last a lot longer these days and a MBA is more and more often the same or better value as a PC.  The same thing will happen with Android devices in 2-5 years from now.  The iPhone will drop in price a few hundred dollars and people will pay the difference for the better product.  

People often compare Apple to BMW's etc.  However, there is a big difference between a $50,000 car purchase and $500 phone purchase.  90% of Americans can opt to overspend $300 to buy an iPhone without ruining their finances.  The same is not true for an expensive car purchase and even less so for an expensive house.  I predict Apple will be able to continue charging a fair price for a premium product.

• Reply 59 of 185

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Use Lightning adapter as an model, Apple could do the unthinkable: License iOS to OEM's

Tell me why I would want the best touchscreen OS on completely worthless hardware. Insert 200,000 analogies here.

• Reply 60 of 185
    ash471 wrote: »
    Wow....Apple is a scrappy underdog? We all get what you are saying, but a hundred years from now someone looking back at this will be scratching their heads asking how someone could possibly describe the second largest company in the world (by market cap) as the "scrappy underdog".  

But... but... Android... 75% market share....

iPhone... losing... badly...

Apple... cannot... win....

AHHHHHHH :wow:

Underdog!!!

Seriously though... Apple will never have the bigger number on the market share chart.

But I'm having trouble seeing the inherent problem with that.