Google's Schmidt: Apple and Google holding 'lots and lots' of meetings

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

I don't see where I've taken anything personally. Though you seem to have don so. 

Honestly I could care less, I just thought the comment was odd, out of place, and added little to the discussion.  And sorry, it still have a hard time seeing it as not being personal.  I dislike Steve Ballmer immensely but have never accused him of being mentally unstable.  Incompetent, sure, but not unstable. image

Quote:

I've made a comment about a man who has a very long and well-documented history of saying things that step over the creepy line, without seeming to understand the extent to which others don't share his view of things. Such people are sometimes extremely skilled at achieving success, but sometimes their interpretation of events isn't shared by other parties. That's the point I'm making. I guess I have to be more expository for some people. 

At least I know where you were coming from now.  There are many characteristics of a sociopath.  Your comment just seemed like a random insult, but I suppose you have put more thought into the comment than I thought.  Bravo.  I am not a psychiatrist and I could care less if you think he is a sociopath, but I least I now know how to argue your point.

Apple has to maintain a relationship with Google.  They have iOS devices still running Google Maps.  Only iOS 6 ditches Google Maps and Apple still needs Google to keep maps running on old devices.  Not to mention Google has plenty of apps on the App Store.  So it isn't entirely unreasonable to assume Apple and Google are communicating regularly with regards to old and new applications.  

So I highly doubt this is all in poor Eric's mind.  But what do I know?

• Reply 62 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

With iMessage it serves to piss people off when they eventually switch to another platform. 

Don't be silly, Nobody does that.

• Reply 63 of 79

Oops!

• Reply 64 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

I dislike Steve Ballmer immensely but have never accused him of being mentally unstable.  Incompetent, sure, but not unstable. image

Are you kidding? I've seen Uncle Fester dance on stage. He's unstable.

• Reply 66 of 79
    Don't be silly, Nobody does that.

People do it all the time. I work for a carrier and I see people going from iPhones to the top android phone all the time. Most of the time they cite they are tired of apples BS, want a larger screen, or want to try something new.
  • Reply 67 of 79
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    People do it all the time. I work for a carrier and I see people going from iPhones to the top android phone all the time. Most of the time they cite they are tired of apples BS, want a larger screen, or want to try something new.

If it smells like BS, it probably is.
  • Reply 68 of 79
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

Good news, this means the customers win, now google and Microsoft need to get locked into a room.

I want to take Microsoft, facebook, google, and Apple lock them into a room together and don't let them out until facebook messenger, hangouts, skype, and imessage communicate with each other.

Yes please. Nothing aggravates me more that in 2013 we're subject to the same instant messenger fragmentation that AOL Messenger pioneered last decade. iMessage not being released for Android/PC drives me crazy. Ubiquity should be the killer feature of a chat program, and they keep it locked into Apple's hardware. 

• Reply 69 of 79
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

"Lots and lots of meetings"?

Bullshit. 

Google's integration with iOS is now relegated to downloadable apps. Siri doesn't use Google for search. Apple is moving away from integration with Google products in all areas. So why the hell would they be meeting so much? It's not to Apple's benefit to partner up with Google in any way whatsoever. They have nothing to gain and everything to lose. Schmidt, as always, is full of shit and is saying this publically because it serves an agenda, just like all the other lies/half-truths he's been caught telling.

• Reply 70 of 79
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

... It's not to Apple's benefit to partner up with Google in any way whatsoever. ...

They do get to play Google against Microsoft for primary search engine spot.

Or perhaps not, if they've decided to drop Google services forever.

• Reply 71 of 79
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    koop wrote: »
    Yes please. Nothing aggravates me more that in 2013 we're subject to the same instant messenger fragmentation that AOL Messenger pioneered last decade. iMessage not being released for Android/PC drives me crazy. Ubiquity should be the killer feature of a chat program, and they keep it locked into Apple's hardware. 

Then use AIM.
  • Reply 72 of 79
    barleybarley Posts: 10member
    The only this relationship will work, is if Apple buys google, separates Android from the mix and cleans google up. Then there will be nobody to tough Apple.
  • Reply 73 of 79
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barley View Post

The only this relationship will work, is if Apple buys google, separates Android from the mix and cleans google up. Then there will be nobody to tough Apple.

Apple can't afford to buy Google.  As much cash as they have, Google's market cap is simply too high (and the premiums shareholders would demand would push it much higher).  

• Reply 74 of 79
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    mikeb85 wrote: »
    Apple can't afford to buy Google.  

Yet.
  • Reply 75 of 79
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yet.

Is this a productive point of discussion? When is it ever be a good idea for one gigantic company to buy out another? You're likely to end up with one that is worse than the two that preceded the deal. You can probably guess which oem I have in mind as a past case study of this.

• Reply 76 of 79
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    hmm wrote: »
    Is this a productive point of discussion?

Yes. ;)
    When is it ever be a good idea for one gigantic company to buy out another?

When it's Apple, who actually has principles and operates by them.
    You can probably guess which oem I have in mind as a past case study of this.

Hmm... HP and Palm? Acer and Gateway (Gateway and eMachines? eMachines and Packard Bell?)?
  • Reply 77 of 79
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Nah - no way Aple would ever consider buying Google.
    Their whole market cap is built on puffery, there is no substance to their business other than ads.
    A house of cards .... one puff from the wrong direction - it'll fall over.

As always, imnsho
  • Reply 78 of 79
    This sounds like apple saying shut up about maps battle, most still have youtube, and the rest is trouble, I really think Siri going to rejegt google is stupid and against sense, Is this still a free country where you get choice of what rather than stuck with bing, that is googles heart and sole there.

Hopefully this is maybe youtube app back on, and google still has chance in market.
  • Reply 79 of 79
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes. image

When it's Apple, who actually has principles and operates by them.

Trying to merge big companies doesn't really make either of them better. Palm was a great example of that, even though I was thinking of Compaq. Look at Apple's list of acquisitions. Have they every bought out a company of several thousand employees? I suspect there's a reason they don't buy out large companies.

Quote:

Hmm... HP and Palm? Acer and Gateway (Gateway and eMachines? eMachines and Packard Bell?)?

I was thinking of HP and Compaq.