Apple's 'iPhone 5S' to boast fingerprint sensor embedded in convex sapphire home button

Comments

• Reply 141 of 211
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

While we're all speculating on rumors, what are the odds of placing a fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone?  The Fujitsu REGZA has an AuthenTec fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone and it appears to work fine there.  It can then be flush and may fit better in the useable space (one of the problems this rumor suggests Apple is having).

• Reply 142 of 211
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

In the light of the whole NSA Prism saga, does anyone now have concerns about a device that captures literally everything we say and everywhere we go and now with a fingerprint sensor to personally identify you?

Just saying...

it really wouldn't be identifying you unless your fingerprint is on record somewhere. After all, I can have a prepaid phone account with little to no information attached to it so they can't even trace that once they identify my service number etc, no id on record and what is knowing they have Charlituna's phone and it goes to Starbucks a lot and plays temple run really going to tell them

• Reply 143 of 211

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

In fact, there was a comment that Apple plans to use a dedicated new touch sensor on the home button to avoid the issue with the button wearing out.  If they merged these two plans together, seems like they have a great answer.  A new button design that does not fail and one that provides substantially better security for the device.

Now I could see that way before I could see any kind of security connection. 

• Reply 144 of 211
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,278member
    charlituna wrote: »
    it really wouldn't be identifying you unless your fingerprint is on record somewhere. After all, I can have a prepaid phone account with little to no information attached to it so they can't even trace that once they identify my service number etc, no id on record and what is knowing they have Charlituna's phone and it goes to Starbucks a lot and plays temple run really going to tell them

I believe I recall the US Government (perhaps other governments too) making a special effort to track those using pre-paid phones, starting back in 2010.
  • Reply 145 of 211

Quote:

Originally Posted by murman View Post

Of course, the phone needs a source to match the scan with, its like setting a password for a website login, you define it then the next time you login, the website tries to match your username and password against a database. But how do they match finger print scans to records, beats me.

Can someone lift my fingerprints CSI style from my desk or mug or something, then make a fake prosthetic finger out of it? Probably, but no one would go through that kind of trouble for my stupid phone, that's for sure.

The solution is easy, they can do one of two things. 

1. make it so that it has to have a capacitive charge to work, something that a fake finger or a piece of tape wouldn't give them. 

2. make it so that there's movement involved. Either on the button or on the whole screen (which is the real sensor the button). Perhaps in a movement that you decide. So you don't just hold your finger there, you decided to swipe left to right then bottom to top and then tap. or whatever

or even both

• Reply 146 of 211

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ppietra View Post

Seems to me that the front side camera does far a better job identifying you, maybe that should also be of your concern.

If you use it. But not everyone is obsessed with taking half naked selfies 

• Reply 147 of 211

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I don't; it's needed for a hard reset/boot, amongst others.

They could always reassign that to some other button. Or perhaps they will get rid of the home button only in the sense of what we are used to and move it to the side or such. 

• Reply 148 of 211
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

Quote:

Originally Posted by denobin View Post

Correct. And the hash is mathematically one-way.

Mmmm...hash.

• Reply 149 of 211

Quote:

Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

Don't be silly. The only foreign technology Apple has bought since 1988 are Anobit (Israel), eMagic and Astarte (Gernamy), SchemaSoft, Poly9 and Locationary (Canada), Polar Rose (Sweden), and Redmatica (Italy).

No Korean companies there, buddy.

You forgot to list the source code for OSX came from a wrecked UFO in storage deep under an empty hanger at Area 51. 

• Reply 150 of 211

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I believe I recall the US Government (perhaps other governments too) making a special effort to track those using pre-paid phones, starting back in 2010.

making an effort and being effective at it are two different things. 

• Reply 151 of 211

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

First: we do have your fingerprint on file. We also have your photograph from the moment you left the pre-paid phone store to where you urinated in the alley after getting blotto the other night (thanks for the DNA sample, by the way). The surveillance cameras also confirmed that you have nothing to brag about in the lovemaking department, if you catch our drift.

• Reply 152 of 211
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

For more than five years, Department of State consular officers and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers have been collecting biometrics—two digital fingerprints and a photograph—from all non-U.S. citizens between the ages of 14 and 79, with some exceptions, when they apply for visas or arrive at U.S. ports of entry

(One of the exceptions is for Canadians.)  

I still don't believe it.  

I live in one of those countries and I can assure you there is no fingerprint or iris scanner information on our passports.  

I also have a passport from a second one of those countries and it also has no biometric information on it. 

If true, this is just another excellent reason to never go to the USA.  

Only some fascist nightmare of a country would require such a thing. 

• Reply 153 of 211

• Reply 154 of 211
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

If you use it. But not everyone is obsessed with taking half naked selfies 

If there was a conspiracy to identify you I don‘t think they would wait for you to take a picture, they would make sure one was taken when activating the device

• Reply 155 of 211
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,278member
    charlituna wrote: »
    making an effort and being effective at it are two different things. 

http://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinions.pdf/12a0262p-06.pdf

No. 09-6497 United States v. Skinner Page 2
    carry out criminal acts and to reduce the possibility of detection, they can hardly
    complain when the police take advantage of the inherent characteristics of those very
    devices to catch them. This is not a case in which the government secretly placed a
    tracking device in someone’s car. The drug runners in this case used pay-as-you-go (and
    thus presumably more difficult to trace) cell phones to communicate during the crosscountry shipment of drugs. Unfortunately for the drug runners, the phones were
    trackable in a way they may not have suspected. The Constitution, however, does not
    protect their erroneous expectations regarding the undetectability of their modern tools."

The rest of the details are in the link if you're inclined to read them.
  • Reply 156 of 211

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

A square is a convex shape? A perfectly flat button can be convex?

You need to take a geometry class.

I did... a square is a convex polygon, even a triangle is. You may want to read up yourself...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convex_and_concave_polygons

• Reply 157 of 211
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I still don't believe it.  

I live in one of those countries and I can assure you there is no fingerprint or iris scanner information on our passports.  
    I also have a passport from a second one of those countries and it also has no biometric information on it. 

If true, this is just another excellent reason to never go to the USA.  
    Only some fascist nightmare of a country would require such a thing. 

The sad fact is that people enter the US with malicious intentions many with falsified documents, so while one can buy a birth certificate and a passport they can't buy that person's fingerprints.
  • Reply 158 of 211
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    kdarling wrote: »
    Thank you very much for the link.  Let me check if 25 microns would be thin enough.  The capacitive/RF fingerprint sensor patents I've read mention one or two microns.

What makes you so certain that the limitations of some other technology would be relevant to this technology?

Furthermore, why did you choose the thinnest STOCK thickness (25 microns) rather than the thinnest they can make (10 microns)?

Even more importantly, why did you ignore the possibility of the sapphire being deposited in an even thinner film rather than sliced from a large crystal?
  • Reply 159 of 211
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I did... a square is a convex polygon, even a triangle is. You may want to read up yourself...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convex_and_concave_polygons

While you are correct your application of it in this case is wrong. The home button is currently shaped like a concave lens so the use of convex here is understood to be a outwardly curved protruding home button.
  • Reply 160 of 211
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I'd like to know why AppleInsider is putting their indicia on a graphic that is the property of AuthenTec? That is just bizarre. It's AuthenTec's property, not AppleInsider's.