Apple stuns Macworld crowd with multi-function iPhone device

Comments

• Reply 221 of 439
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronHarmon View Post

You know guys, I'm sorry if I'm offending any of you, I am just really disapointed. I have been looking forward to this device for just as long as the rest of you. My contract with Alltel is set to pop in 3 months, the timing is perfect. The device is not as far as I'm concerned. I could probably even live with 16 gigs. 8 is just awful. I work 3rd shift at a hospital and watch alot of video at night. I would be resynching this thing constantly to keep the material fresh. I don't always know what I'm going to be in the mood to watch or listen to. 8 gig just isn't enough flexability as far as I'm concerned. Maybe I'll check back with version two.

Just so you know I was disapointed with the ITV and well and Bill Gate's CES keynote was underwhelming too (I was looking forward to some things for the 360 that didn't pan out as rumored).

Anyway, I make gobs of money, doing what I do. Technology and new gadgets are my favorite bad investment. I was really looking forward for a reason to buy myself some new toys. I didn't happen.

I would have been happy with a 100 gig true video Ipod, that didn't happen either.

Bring on the 4 core MBP, I'll take one of those as well.

I looked forward to these events for a while and while I think the phone looks slick, It's not enough for me to replace my other $600 smart phone.

Then you have unrealistic expectations.

I can also afford whatever I want. Very possibly we will pick up two of these, and maybe three, if my daughter also wants one.

Is it perfect? No, of course not. Nothing is.

Is it better than anything else around?if it does what you mostly want it to? Yes. Do some others have some features even this does not? Of course!

If those features are more of interest, by all means, buy one of them.

But don't expect any device to be all things to all people. It will never happen.
  • Reply 222 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evagee View Post

I guess history is bound to repeat itself after all- yet another EXTREMELY great idea/product with bad marketing. I would have bought two yesterday- But there's a reason Cingular is the WORST rated wireless company around (actually there are several- I know being a customer for several years but no longer.)

Come on Apple- doesn't somebody there read Consumer Reports? These folks are rated the worst NATIONWIDE! Apple's rated the best! Geez this is frustrating!

I guess Verizon just wants to nickel and dime everybody so they can't do anything (except get great wireless service) and Cingular will let you do just about anything (except talk on a reliable connection- if you can get one).

Sorry Apple- I love ya, but not enough to deal with Cingular. Guess I'll keep hacking with my E815...

What is wrong with some people here?

Have you no idea about business?

Like it or not, Cingular is the biggest wireless company. They also use GSM. T-Mobile is the only other GSM company here, in the USA.

Would you rather they went to T-Mobile, which is, despite what you say, even worse?

They went to GSM because they want to market their phone worldwide, and 4 freq. GSM is the only way to do it.

I would have prefered they came out with a CDMA phone instead, or, as well, but it's not in the cards.

Quite a few people here are not even happy it won't be available overseas when it will be here. They would be even angrier if it were to be CDMA, and never come over.

They did the right thing.
  • Reply 223 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Cisco sold them rights to the name, the news was on yahoo finance.

Leased, is more like it.

Quote:

I think that it was Seagate that just announced really tiny 30 and 60 gb drives - I would not be surprised to see these in the device instead of flash. June is a long time away.

I don't think so. HD's, even small ones, use more power, and are less resistant to shock. People drop their phones all the time. Cold affects HD's while it doesn't affect Flash.
  • Reply 224 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gpco View Post

Well... some of you are getting the iPhone concept wrong.

This new device is after all only a Cell Phone with a lot of features: music player, web browsing, watch videos, take pictures, etc. If you compare the iPhone to a Blackberry or a Treo, it is way beyond them...As far as I know, the biggest storage you can get with a Treo or Blackberry is 2GB and you have to buy an SD Card at xxx price, not built-in; so 8GB built-in are great for a cell phone. And don't forget about the new touch screen technology, for me is great, I hate stylus, I have a palm and I always use my finger tip to navigate and write.

For me, this is a great device, it could have more features, more storage, more I don't know what; but thinking of it as the kind of device it is (a cell phone); it is just perfect.

I think we'll find there's more to it than that.

It depends on what kind of programs we can install, if any.
  • Reply 225 of 439
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keviano View Post

True... In the US... The iPhone is quad-band, so there'd be little stopping Apple releasing an unlocked model in Asia or Europe that would work anywhere else in the world.

£1000 a month Cingular bill is not fun. Neither is an additional $700 after the phone has been disconnected, plus disconnection charges, plus tax, plus all those other Cingular added expenses.

If Apple decide on complete exclusivity with big C, then I won't be getting one. For shame.

As much as I want one, I may following suit. I had Cingular years ago and wasn't happy.

This link has a list of all the Smart Phones/PDAs available at Cingular. The price of the iPhone is $100 to $200 more than the next highest phone.

I'll be looking into pricing next. If they have no unlimited data plan, then I'm definitely not going with Cingular.
  • Reply 226 of 439

I've got a T-Mobile RAZR V3 I'll be looking to sell in the June timeframe, if anyone is interested. I can even get it unlocked for you.

The iPhone is way cool!

Take that all you Blakberry Nazis!

• Reply 226 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dayhill View Post

The phone had a memory slot so I could trade out cards. 8 gig doesn't seem like much for as much video as I have. Would be very nice not to have to choose for when I am on the road. Will I be able to download from iTunes directly to the iPhone? Not sure if that was mentioned.

The video is 480 x 320, at best! It doesn't take up that much space.
  • Reply 228 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I just watched the keynote. Wow is that cingular guy awful! I mean, watching him talk was truly painful.

It's not what he was hired for.
  • Reply 229 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

There is actually no evidence of this -- from what I read Steve demoed using Internet mapping sites, not a GPS receiver built into the iPhone. This is a shame because the device has everything but that... and next to iPod functionality the GPS would be what I found most useful.

I believe he did say GPS was there. So that's intriguing.

But, that can mean several things. ALL cellphones have built-in GPS (at least in the USA). But, whether we can access it, is another matter. It could also be one way. The phone company can use it to track you (the original purpose), but you can't use it to track yourself!

So, did he mean that it could be used by us?
  • Reply 230 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

So no indication of a replaceable battery? Wow. I just don't get that. What is so hard about designing a case that allows you to snap in a new battery?

This is the one thing about Apple I just don't get. You would think they would have learned something from the whole iPod battery fiasco.

They care too much about thickness.
  • Reply 231 of 439
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

2 MP in a phone camera is plenty. I've seen higher rez pics from them, and they are bad.!

I agree, I have a Samsung NV10, it's 7Mp. Whilst it looks really cool, and the UI is excellent, the images are fairly noisy compared to my Pentax 5Mp that got stolen.
  • Reply 232 of 439
    Quote:

I believe he did say GPS was there. So that's intriguing.

But, that can mean several things. ALL cellphones have built-in GPS (at least in the USA). But, whether we can access it, is another matter. It could also be one way. The phone company can use it to track you (the original purpose), but you can't use it to track yourself!

So, did he mean that it could be used by us?

Are you sure about that? GPS needs line of sight to work, and I don't see (visually) any form of receiver on my RAZR V3.

Anyway he did explicitly say "GPS" also remember that he was inside, so I don't know how he could have accessed the GPS satellites. And I don't see why he would mention GPS feature if it wasn't ment for the end user, tantamount to false advertising don't you think?

• Reply 233 of 439
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Are you sure about that? GPS needs line of sight to work, and I don't see (visually) any form of receiver on my RAZR V3.

Anyway he did explicitly say "GPS" also remember that he was inside, so I don't know how he could have accessed the GPS satellites. And I don't see why he would mention GPS feature if it wasn't ment for the end user, tantamount to false advertising don't you think?

I think GPS is a feature, he did say Google maps WITH directions. Directions were also listed as a feature when he did the summary.
  • Reply 234 of 439
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    I will NEVER go CIngular. I left them when they were still Bellsouth. Lousy customer service and you miss a lot of calls that never go through cause of "busy network" messages.
  • Reply 235 of 439
    Quote:

I'm sure he said it, and I'm sure that All USA cellphones have it.
  • Reply 236 of 439
    Quote:

I'm sure he said it, and I'm sure that All USA cellphones have it.

Are you talking about AGPS? The FCC Phase II requirements (50m-300m)? You still need line-of-sight for ~1m accuracy and you still need a sensor and I don't see one.

Don't get me wrong, however they do the technology is great, but I'm totally clueless on how this technology works, it's accuracy, it's limitations (if any), etcetera. Also what level of public awareness of this is there, I mean I may live in a hole, but does the general public have a common knowledge of the E911 wireless system? I would think that the FCC would make people more aware of the situation.

Any links on this technology would be much appreciated!

• Reply 237 of 439
    Quote:

Are you talking about AGPS? The FCC Phase II requirements (50m-300m)? You still need line-of-sight for ~1m accuracy and you still need a sensor and I don't see one.

Don't get me wrong, however they do the technology is great, but I'm totally clueless on how this technology works, it's accuracy, it's limitations (if any), etcetera. Also what level of public awareness of this is there, I mean I may live in a hole, but does the general public have a common knowledge of the E911 wireless system? I would think that the FCC would make people more aware of the situation.

Any links on this technology would be much appreciated!

All actual GPS receivers use AGPS, which, by the way, can have 3 meter accuracy.

Which technology phones have, depends on the phone. I can't speak to each one.

Jobs mentioned GPS, that's all we can know now.

Maybe it isn't implimented as yet, so no more is being said right now.

As far as links go, just tap AGPS into Google.
  • Reply 238 of 439
    Quote:

All actual GPS receivers use AGPS, which, by the way, can have 3 meter accuracy.

Which technology phones have, depends on the phone. I can't speak to each one.

Jobs mentioned GPS, that's all we can know now.

Maybe it isn't implimented as yet, so no more is being said right now.

As far as links go, just tap AGPS into Google.

I'm no expert, it's been almost 10 years since I've done any DGPS surveys (1cm accuracy), but I do know that at that time realtime kinematic GPS existed (10cm accuracy). All that is processed within the receiver itself, so those do not use an assistance server as required for AGPS. Plus I have Misrosoft's Streets and Trips 2007 with a GPS receiver, it needs line-of-sight, and it doesn't need AGPS.

Do you really know what all you are talking about? Really!

• Reply 239 of 439
    Quote:

I'm no expert, it's been almost 10 years since I've done any DGPS surveys (1cm accuracy), but I do know that at that time realtime kinematic GPS existed (10cm accuracy). All that is processed within the receiver itself, so those do not use an assistance server as required for AGPS. Plus I have Misrosoft's Streets and Trips 2007 with a GPS receiver, it needs line-of-sight, and it doesn't need AGPS.

Do you really know what all you are talking about? Really!

Yes, I do, do you?

you could find out very easily what cellphones have, if you really wanted to.

But, if you don't, that's not my concern.
  • Reply 240 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pistolero View Post

That is incorrect. Cell phone companies are NOT required at all to provide any unlocking codes at all. however any individual or company can provide/sell the locks and the cell phone companies cannot sue to prevent it.

Very sweet indeed! I can't wait to get my hands on an unlocked iPhone on eBay or elsewhere from the States so I'm the first one amongst my friends over here in Europe to own one AND continue using my prepaid service! I'd even pay up to 200 bucks more for that. I hate, no, I absolutely abhor being locked into anything by any one of those f**king greedy providers.