Apple stuns Macworld crowd with multi-function iPhone device

Comments

• Reply 281 of 439
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Six months away from releasing it's 1st phone and Apple is already changing the way cell carriers do business. This rocks so much!
    "Jobs demanded special treatment from his phone service partner, Cingular, and he got it. He even forced Cingular to re-engineer its infrastructure to handle the iPhone's unique voicemail scheme."

Yeah! I finally got a confirmation on the Random Access Voicemail (RAV) feature. You may not have realized this yet, but even if you can use this phone with other carriers, you still won't get the RAV feature unless the carrier creates this feature, which will require assistance by Apple, at least until this becomes an industry standard.

I'm glad Cingular is changing it's service platform for Apple, I just hope they don't charge extra for their data service. To be the ONLY US carrier, they would have had to pay Apple an exceptional fee for the exclusivity. I'm guessing they supplement around $400-$500 per phone for this exclusivity.

Prediction: Cingular currently has 58M customers, I speculate they will have +75M by the end of 2007 (calendar). That is an increase of 17M, though only around 15M will be because of iPhone.
  • Reply 282 of 439
    During the keynote when he was describing what OS X had he included Core Animation. Now, isn't that a leopard technology? If so, the iPhone *is* running leopard and will probably be released when leopard is through with testing. He said FCC approval takes 2 months, if that were the only holdup it'd be released in late february or march wouldn't it?
  • Reply 283 of 439
    Looks like Apple is rustling a few feathers.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/BUSINESS...eut/index.html

The other makers are going to have one heck of a time making up for this leap.
  • Reply 284 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

In the US all new cell phones are required to receive GPS. Currently they send the raw data to the providers servers when they figure out the location.

Oh, really? I'd like to see some evidence to support that.

"GPS" has a very specific meaning. I don't believe ALL cell phones are required to have it. All cell phones may need E911 capability, but that does not have to use GPS, it can use other things to do the location determining.

I didn't see anything in the keynote to make me believe the iPhone is location aware. Steve used Google Maps, but I don't believe he anywhere mentioned GPS specifically or self-location awareness. But it may be there in the form of TDOA.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 285 of 439
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,029member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I think people that want to be able to store ALL of their content on iPods are going to be disappointed. I think the future of these ultra mobile devices is flash storage as it is less power hungry and frankly holds up better to the constant jostling that the devices are going to be subjected to on a daily basis. 250 gb flash storage memory isn't just around the corner so if you want to have your entire music library and video library with you it may be a while. Apple is clearly choosing mobility and form factor over storage and rightly so. Look at the best selling iPods. The 'work around' is the ability to access your library via .Mac (google and Yahoo in the future?) and download your other media when you desire.

I thinl flash memory will improve but I don't think it will catch up to people's demands for storage soon. By the time that that occurs I think users will have adapted to accessing their library with the device.

The cost per magbyte for storage drops year after year, and battery technology improves every year. Enough to keep HDs viable until lower cost flash or high-speed everywhere WANs allow you to access your collection from anyplace.

Being limited by storage at the portable device level does not seem to fit well in Apple's long terms plan as a major supplier of rich media
  • Reply 286 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

The cost per magbyte for storage drops year after year, and battery technology improves every year. Enough to keep HDs viable until lower cost flash or high-speed everywhere WANs allow you to access your collection from anyplace.

Being limited by storage at the portable device level does not seem to fit well in Apple's long terms plan as a major supplier of rich media

Battery technology improves every year? That's news to me. It improves a little, but we need some serious revolutions in this field.
  • Reply 287 of 439
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Hard Drives are not a viable solution for this device, IMO. If they were they'd probably have one. Again what's to keep you from accessing your library, with.Mac, google yahoo ect, with the device? Isn't that better than having a large brick like device with poor battery life and is unreliable.
  • Reply 288 of 439
    I've heard of being able to purchase a mobile phone that is supposedly "exclusive" to one carrier... but still capable of running on any network/carrier as long as you can swap out a card or something?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be extremely cool if I could buy this phone from Apple and use it with my current Verizon service plan!?!

Anyone know if its possible? Or will be have to wait and see.\
  • Reply 289 of 439
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

In the US all new cell phones are required to receive GPS. Currently they send the raw data to the providers servers when they figure out the location.

There is nothing that would keep Apple from also decoding the raw data within the phone so you would not need the providers server. That way any application could use the GPS data. I'm guessing that what is happening with the maps. Apple is sending real GPS location data and the map data is then returned.

When Apple lets the developers gain access I would assume we'll see navagation applications that will run on the iPhone.

One last note, for me only having EDGE is a show stopper, $500 to $600 for a device that can only do 80 to 110 kbps is just plain nuts. I really hope that Apple will add faster data rates before the release.

Jobs said that 3G would come. He didn't say when. Perhaps the charges for it are too high from his perspective, and he wants Cingular to bring them down.
  • Reply 290 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BEatMaKeR View Post

I've heard of being able to purchase a mobile phone that is supposedly "exclusive" to one carrier... but still capable of running on any network/carrier as long as you can swap out a card or something?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be extremely cool if I could buy this phone from Apple and use it with my current Verizon service plan!?!

Anyone know if its possible? Or will be have to wait and see.\

No, it's not possible.

Haven't you read that this is GSM?

Don't you know that your current service uses CDMA?
  • Reply 291 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

The law is good for 3 years.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2064707,00.asp

If this is true, then the answer is YES!!! You can use your iPhone on any network and you are NOT limited to Cingular.

However, what is not mentioned is the limitations to your service. Steve said in his keynote that certain functionality needs to be supported by the networks infrastructure which is why he said he was happy to partner with Cingular whom I assume is willing and anxious to work with Apple to put those measures in place.

That being said, if you "unlocked" the iPhone... paid the extra $$ to buy the iPhone with no Cingular contract... and somehow got them card in the iPhone programmed to work on your network (I'll use Verizon as my example since I'm with them).... You STILL may notice that certain functions don't work because the network isn't setup for it.

Boo!

And of course no insurance for the phone! So drop it or it stops working = your screwed!

Looks like Cingular may have a grip of new customers coming their way.\ sux. Their plans are hella expansive and not so reliable.
  • Reply 292 of 439
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I've been with several cell phone carriers, Sprint/Nextel(currrently), cingular, cellular one to name a few. None of them are great. Pick your poison.
  • Reply 293 of 439
    Quote:

If this is true, then the answer is YES!!! You can use your iPhone on any network and you are NOT limited to Cingular.

However, what is not mentioned is the limitations to your service. Steve said in his keynote that certain functionality needs to be supported by the networks infrastructure which is why he said he was happy to partner with Cingular whom I assume is willing and anxious to work with Apple to put those measures in place.

That being said, if you "unlocked" the iPhone... paid the extra $$ to buy the iPhone with no Cingular contract... and somehow got them card in the iPhone programmed to work on your network (I'll use Verizon as my example since I'm with them).... You STILL may notice that certain functions don't work because the network isn't setup for it.

Boo!

And of course no insurance for the phone! So drop it or it stops working = your screwed!

Looks like Cingular may have a grip of new customers coming their way.\ sux. Their plans are hella expansive and not so reliable.

No, it is NOT yes. In the USA, it will only work on Cingular's and T-Mobile's networks.

Wake up people!
  • Reply 294 of 439
    Quote:

If this is true, then the answer is YES!!! You can use your iPhone on any network and you are NOT limited to Cingular....

Nop.

Verizon uses CDMA standard. Cingular uses the GSM standard.

The iPhone is a GSM phone

therefore, NO iPhone in Verizon.

An unlocked iPhone would work in any other GSM carrier like Tmobile for example. but not Verizon.. or Sprint.
  • Reply 295 of 439
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,029member
    Quote:

Hard Drives are not a viable solution for this device, IMO. If they were they'd probably have one. Again what's to keep you from accessing your library, with.Mac, google yahoo ect, with the device? Isn't that better than having a large brick like device with poor battery life and is unreliable.

No, I wasn't referring to an HD in the iPhone, but in a "future" true video iPod with the same/similar interface as the iPod portion of the iPhone. That's viable.
  • Reply 296 of 439
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Yeah I think Apple put them selves in a real tough situation. I want a new iPod that will have much more than just 8 GBs! I think we will see much of the iPhone interface in the new iPod. After all, one is a phone with iPod features and one will just be an iPod. Should be easy enough.

It is not a tough situation. It is the smartphone market. If you want more than 8GB's there are lots of iPods to choose from.

An iPod doesn't have the screen or the processor to do what the iPhone does and I think they will keep each separate, just like on the website. In two years it will be its own division and it will be able to contract to other carriers in 3 years.

The iPod will be around for a long time because it is cheaper and easier and smaller and is worthwhile without the phone.
  • Reply 297 of 439
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Two places I think the iPhone falls a bit short.

1. Single carrier. Apple should have gotten Cingular and T-Mobile.

2. 3G support. Jobs did say they would develop 3G phones in the future. It should be much sooner than later. I've been reading some pretty unfavorable reviews of Cingular's Edge.
  • Reply 298 of 439
    Quote:

No, I wasn't referring to an HD in the iPhone, but in a "future" true video iPod with the same/similar interface as the iPod portion of the iPhone. That's viable.

That is all but guaranteed. The question to ask is: Will it come out before, after, or at the same time as the iPhone? From a marketing standpoint, will the release of a full screen, video iPod help convince people to buy an iPhone or hurt it? I really don't know, but I'll be my left gonad that it's available within the next 9 months.

Quote:

I really hope you CAN sync contacts, address book, bookmarks, playlists, and access your library via .Mac. No need for Slingbox or Apple Remote Desktop. I can then do it automatically with Mac => .mac => iPhone in one seamless motion.

I am expecting this to happen because of the new version title that will most likely be given to .mac this year, which, IMO, means a big overhaul. Also, it's a chance for Apple to draw and lock in more subscribers into a user experience that is so far ahead than just using the iPhone by itself.
  • Reply 299 of 439
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Does anyone actually look at competitive offerings before making these comments??? The Palm Trea 750 is $499 with contract (before rebate and who knows about those in the future) and it only comes with 60 MB (that megabytes) of user accessible storage.

http://www.cac.washington.edu/comput...honecosts.html

http://www.bizrate.com/cellphones1/index__sort--6.html

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/

Apple is well within the ballpark from what I can see. If it works like the demo this is the best interface I have seen, hands down...
  • Reply 300 of 439
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Two places I think the iPhone falls a bit short.

1. Single carrier. Apple should have gotten Cingular and T-Mobile.

2. 3G support. Jobs did say they would develop 3G phones in the future. It should be much sooner than later. I've been reading some pretty unfavorable reviews of Cingular's Edge.

Maybe they tried. It's possible that T-Mobile--and others--wouldn't agree to alter their systems to accommodate for the new technologies (i.e.: Remote Access Voicemail) and paradigms that Apple is offering. I think that eventually all carriers and phones will have RAV, like we do with SMS and Mail features.

It's amazing this hasn't been done before Apple came along. I wonder if that feature is patented?'

The current (or last month's) Consumer Reports has cell phone and cell phone carrier reviews. Cingular was pretty low for all the customer's surveyed. CR even noted that they had poor customer service, something that I recall as bein g my main reason for leaving them several years ago.

If I can use the iPhone on T-Mobile I may jsut do despite the lack of advanced features like RAV.