Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 4361 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Hmm.. what would you call a valid argument?... Did you read what was posted and agree with such ridiculous statement?.....

"Poor people can not afford $20 HDM price after buying a $98 HD-DVD player"

If this isn't a fanboy act/behavior, then perhaps it's act of a troll? Take your pick!

If I had made a similar statement about PS3 owner, I'm sure you will be the first to name me as such.

I don't like buying cheap stuff for my main HT, and I did pass up on the $98 HD-DVD player. I wouldn't say cheap, but I need a player with HiDef Audio processing capabilities and analog 5.1 out, but the entry level players do not offer this option. And I already have XA1 & XA2 at two different viewing locations. I would not mind getting a cheaper Blu-Ray player/drive as an alternative HiDef format, though.

If there is a $99 deal on a Blu-Ray player/Drive with profile 1.1 compliance ready hardware this holidays, I would buy one in a heart beat. I'm sure even the alternative HiDef format is worth $100 for the keep sake. I would much prefer a PC drive for the price because I really want to be able to rip all the HDM discs and store them in the HDD. I don't have to worry about optical format at all for viewings and can access entire movie library in every room with a PC.

Anyway, who cares where these $98 HD-DVD players are going. As long as it sells like hot cakes, it will find it's home of new, old, and neutral HDM supporting homes.

I agree that "Poor" People are with the majority and staying with SD-DVD, they arn't going to be buying a $98 that needs $20 discs when they already have a player that plays $15 discs. plus.. the don't likely don't have the $600 minimum for a new HD-TV and if they DO have the $600 they are more likely to spend it elsewhere at xmas.

according to Government figures I'm actually below the poverty line... so STFU

you HAVE made disparaging comment on the PS3 and its owners.

as to "who cares where the cheap players are going" clearly you SHOULD if 400,000 people all buy an extra machine real cheap, thats going to HALF the attach rates, which is going to make the PS3 attach rates look that bit better, and make studios like warner think "despite the player sales our disc sales arn't going up to match" while the BD sales ARE going up to match!

but if you don't see that, or don't care, maybe you ARE working for Toshiba because you are ignoring some useful info.
  • Reply 4362 of 4650
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    Venturer is a Canadian company (if I am not mistaken) and that was a Canadian flyer. That is not near the sales of Wal-Mart in the States. Btw, Wal-Mart here still has Blu-Ray and most people do not buy the budget ones when it is just a bit more for the brand name version.
  • Reply 4363 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Good catch on the Walmart.ca domain. But of course you know some people are going to say, "It doesn't matter where they are! It's still Walmart and that's all that counts!"
  • Reply 4364 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

Venturer is a Canadian company (if I am not mistaken) and that was a Canadian flyer. That is not near the sales of Wal-Mart in the States. Btw, Wal-Mart here still has Blu-Ray and most people do not buy the budget ones when it is just a bit more for the brand name version.

wallmart just had a deal on a sony br player and 10 br dvd's last week for like $350.00.

that looked like a pretty good deal to me.
  • Reply 4365 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

So, the question is, if someone can buy a Toshiba with ten free movies or whatever the current offer is for the same price or as little as half of the price of the Venturer, then what's in it for the consumer or Venturer? I have to wonder how long before Venturer figures it's not worth it to fight Toshiba itself and throws in the towel.

Isn't the Toshiba player with ten free movies largely just an Amazon.com deal?
  • Reply 4366 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Is there a virtually all poor people choose xxxx "joke" in there?

and J6P will only be deciding in the US.

Last I understood movies were a world wide phenomena.

No, that's an almost no one I know has heard of Magnolia's, but they've all heard of Wal Mart based statement.

I didn't realize that average people with an interest in better looking movies were limited to the borders of the United States. Thank you for correcting me.
  • Reply 4367 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

I agree that "Poor" People are with the majority and staying with SD-DVD, they arn't going to be buying a $98 that needs $20 discs when they already have a player that plays $15 discs. plus.. the don't likely don't have the $600 minimum for a new HD-TV and if they DO have the $600 they are more likely to spend it elsewhere at xmas.

according to Government figures I'm actually below the poverty line... so STFU

you HAVE made disparaging comment on the PS3 and its owners.

So, you're poor and able to afford $399/$499 Blu-Ray player and few $20 HDM's. Good for you, and I'm sure you're not the only fortunate sole. Poor people buying $98 HD-DVD players should be able to afford even more of those $20 HDM's with savings from going with $98 HD-DVD player.

Quote:

maybe you ARE working for Toshiba because you are ignoring some useful info.

That would have been nice. I could have taken advantage of the employee discount on both of my HD-DVD Players, if I was working for Toshiba.

BTW, I'm only ignoring irrational speculations, but not the facts.
  • Reply 4368 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Isn't the Toshiba player with ten free movies largely just an Amazon.com deal?

No. Best Buy, Circuit City and others had similar deals off and on in recent months. Who can keep track of them anymore? More importantly, you're trying to obfuscate the point with irrelevancy. Only a little over a week ago, Toshiba's players went for half of what the Venturer does. Toshiba has huge stakes in this and will probably have similar deals in the near future. Again, the question is, if Toshiba will pour millions into this battle without really distinguishing between friend and foe, then why should Venturer continue selling HD DVD players? Should they discount their own players as heavily and fall on their sword for Toshiba's benefit?
  • Reply 4369 of 4650
    Quote:

No. Best Buy, Circuit City and others had similar deals off and on in recent months. Who can keep track of them anymore? More importantly, you're trying to obfuscate the point with irrelevancy. Only a little over a week ago, Toshiba's players went for half of what the Venturer does. Toshiba has huge stakes in this and will probably have similar deals in the near future. Again, the question is, if Toshiba will pour millions into this battle without really distinguishing between friend and foe, then why should Venturer continue selling HD DVD players? Should they discount their own players as heavily and fall on their sword for Toshiba's benefit?

This is first valid point you made ever on this thread. I actually have to agree with this and have to say that this may be a concern if such promotions are long tern strategy. However, the same argument is valid when PS3 is selling at $399 and has the cheapest retail tag, having the potential of being most compliant/future proof features, and capable player on the market. Don't forget that no standalone Blu-Ray players on the market is even profile 1.1 complaint. It's probably the driving reason that many informed AV enthusiasts are forced to buy PS3 as a Blu-Ray player even when the unit is not going to be used as a gaming console.

This really must be a tough call for all hardware manufacturers, but at least the poor people can now afford to join the HDM market due to competitive pricing.
  • Reply 4370 of 4650
    Quote:

T

This really must be a tough call for all hardware manufacturers, but at least the poor people can now afford to join the HDM market due to competitive pricing.

"Poor" people have to decide if a $99 player is worth it considering $25 and up discs and $800 on up for a new HDTV. BTW, I hate the term "poor"; what exactly does it mean?

Even the middle class is looking more carefully at their discretionary income what with their commute using $3.00+ gas and having to refinance their expiring ARMs in the next year to get away from increases of $300 - $500 a month in mortgage payment. Of course, as always, some people don't have to worry about their spending.
  • Reply 4371 of 4650
    Added thoughts
    Quote:

The prior week was probably one of the best release week of Blu-Ray. Including Rata & Cars being only two weeks ago.

Here is the release list:

HD DVD

Tremors (Universal)

Star Trek: The Original Series - Season One (Paramount)

Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same (Warner)

BD

Badder Santa: The Unrated Version (Buena Vista)

The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause (Buena Vista)

Hairspray (New Line)

Die Hard (Fox)

Die Hard 2: Die Harder (Fox)

Die Hard with a Vengence (Fox)

The Die Hard Collection (Fox)

Live Free or Die Hard (Fox)

Pathfinder (Fox)

Rescue Dawn (MGM)

Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same (Warner)

The prior week is less likely to be repeated again, perhaps ever. The remaining future release schedule seems to be pretty much on par for both formats. The pirates will be the last hope or the Blu-Ray world's end and would have to do a lot more B1G1 Blu-Ray deals to come close to 70/30 for rest of the year.

So... is it going to be B1G1 or the $98 HDM player that will fuel the HDM market for the holidays?

After December 4 the BD exclusive list seems pretty weak. December 4 has at least four titles that might have appeal: Cast Away, Independence Day, Mr. & Mrs. Smith and the biggie, Pirates 3. Some people may go for The Simpsons on December 18.

Bite, besides Bourne Ultimatum, what general interest title comes out HD exclusive in December?

The major format neutral releases seem to be the Harry Potter series on December 11 and Blade Runner on December 18. It would be interesting comparing head-to-head sales figures on those titles.

Hairspray and Live Free or Die Hard were really enjoyable. Bite, how are you dealing with lack of HD access to those movies? Renting or buying SD-DVD? I've order a SD-DVD copy of Bourne Ultimatum to complete the set.
  • Reply 4372 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73

"Poor" people have to decide if a $99 player is worth it considering $25 and up discs and $800 on up for a new HDTV. BTW, I hate the term "poor"; what exactly does it mean?

Ask Kolchak what "poor" exactly means, he was the one to associate "poor" people with $98 HD-DVD player and those "poor" people not being able to afford the HDM.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Added thoughts

After December 4 the BD exclusive list seems pretty weak. December 4 has at least four titles that might have appeal: Cast Away, Independence Day, Mr. & Mrs. Smith and the biggie, Pirates 3. Some people may go for The Simpsons on December 18.

Bite, besides Bourne Ultimatum, what general interest title comes out HD exclusive in December?

The major format neutral releases seem to be the Harry Potter series on December 11 and Blade Runner on December 18. It would be interesting comparing head-to-head sales figures on those titles.

Hairspray and Live Free or Die Hard were really enjoyable. Bite, how are you dealing with lack of HD access to those movies? Renting or buying SD-DVD? I've order a SD-DVD copy of Bourne Ultimatum to complete the set.

I will use $1 rental service for Die Hard. I have few HDM's still on wrapper, so I need to get to them, first. I'll wait for the B1G1 from amazon and might start buying some BD exclusive titles before I get the player. I get additional 10% off on all HDM purchases from amazon and I'll try to take advantage of it before it expires. If I were to purchase on B1G1 deal, I would most likely pay about $8/Blu-Ray Movie, (20 + 20 - 4(10%)-20(B1G1) = 16 for two movies.

Anyway on the HD-DVD exclusive side, I've not checked the full list yet, but I have Stardust on my pre-order list along with Bourne series & Harry Potter. I think the Kingdom is also scheduled for Dec. release. I wanted to get the Shrek the third, but I just didn't think it was worth $28. I may just wait for the complete set, instead.
  • Reply 4373 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Your reading comprehension needs work. Do you know what "virtually" means? Virtually all≠all. Comprende?

So, the question is, if someone can buy a Toshiba with ten free movies or whatever the current offer is for the same price or as little as half of the price of the Venturer, then what's in it for the consumer or Venturer? I have to wonder how long before Venturer figures it's not worth it to fight Toshiba itself and throws in the towel.

Hahahahahahaha.

Walmart and Target are exclusively carrying the Venturer. Given their combined market dominance, it would probably be more accurate to say that "virtually all retailers are carrying the Venturer."

Your second point is the most blatant Marz-like spin I've seen you promote in this thread. Do you have any idea what it takes to get a product onto the shelves at Walmart? Read a few business mags.

If Venturer is willing to produce the kinds of numbers it takes to support Walmart, and Walmart sees the value of stocking a product in those kinds of numbers, nobody is contemplating throwing in any towels.
  • Reply 4374 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Good catch on the Walmart.ca domain. But of course you know some people are going to say, "It doesn't matter where they are! It's still Walmart and that's all that counts!"

Over at AVS forums it has been confirmed that Walmart has an exclusive in Canada and Walmart and Target are sharing exclusivity in the U.S. So much for that argument.
  • Reply 4375 of 4650
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Isn't Sony doing the same thing to their fellow Blu-Ray player makers by selling a $399 Blu-Ray player that also happens to be an entire freakin' gaming console? {EDIT} looks like bitemymac beat me to the punch.
  • Reply 4376 of 4650
    Quote:

So, you're poor and able to afford $399/$499 Blu-Ray player and few $20 HDM's. Good for you, and I'm sure you're not the only fortunate sole. Poor people buying $98 HD-DVD players should be able to afford even more of those $20 HDM's with savings from going with $98 HD-DVD player.

I THINK you caught the irony

however you missed the part where i said "According to government figures I'm BELOW the poverty line"

there is a difference between that and being poor i think you would find, but of course you seem to have more money than you know what to do with
  • Reply 4377 of 4650
    Quote:

oh don't be so sure about that, I mean they ARE poor an all
  • Reply 4378 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Isn't Sony doing the same thing to their fellow Blu-Ray player makers by selling a $399 Blu-Ray player that also happens to be an entire freakin' gaming console? {EDIT} looks like bitemymac beat me to the punch.

The thing is one has a chance to turn a profit on a competing $399 device but a LOT less so on an $98 device, or would you and bite disagree with that?
  • Reply 4379 of 4650
    Quote:

It's still walmart and thats all that counts!
  • Reply 4380 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member