Death Grip hysteria may end Monday with iOS 4.01

Comments

• Reply 581 of 613
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    and picked up one of the display iPhone 4 units. I examined the metal band/frame/antennas and found no sign of a non-metalic coating that I had seen a few references to in a posting somewhere earlier today. I picked the unit up and held it in my left hand in precisely the manner that is shown in the Apple TV commercials. The phone quickly dropped from five bars to three and then two bars and eventually none. I held the phone by the upper section and it returned to five bars.

I just thought testing one of the display units would be interesting.
  • Reply 582 of 613
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RBR View Post

and picked up one of the display iPhone 4 units. I examined the metal band/frame/antennas and found no sign of a non-metalic coating that I had seen a few references to in a posting somewhere earlier today. I picked the unit up and held it in my left hand in precisely the manner that is shown in the Apple TV commercials. The phone quickly dropped from five bars to three and then two bars and eventually none. I held the phone by the upper section and it returned to five bars.

I just thought testing one of the display units would be interesting.

Yes, but could you make a call when it was at one bar? AnandTech's review explains that a) the attenuation of the signal is larger in this phone than others, but because of the large external antenna, and to other changes within the phone, it gives you a) much faster uploads and downloads, and b) much more ability to hold a call at the minimum signal, which is -113 dbm. They demonstrate that the iPhone 4 is much better than its predecessor, and the Nexus One, at holding on to a signal when it's weak. They went so far as to make a conference call and look up some data on the web -- all when there were no bars showing. The call wasn't dropped.

So, you may have been able to make the bars go down, but it likely didn't affect the ability to keep the call. Bars are just a metaphor, not an accurate number. The phones in an Apple store are disabled. They don't want customers making calls from them.
  • Reply 583 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

WHAT?!?

They are NOT going to give away free iRubberbands (Bumpers)!? Those seriously must cost like 3 cents to make. They don't get it. This is a great way to lose potential customers. Like me. I will be expecting a free bumper or credit to another case. I'm going to wait a few weeks anyway to see what happens with this whole thing.

They are really handling this badly. Who is their PR firm, the same people working for BP!?

Way to be remembered as an a$$hole Steve. Going out on a sour note. Sad.

You used the word a$$hole. Look behind yourself.

Look at the latest Boy Genius Report. It's fake. Maybe this is too. This sure is looking like a campaign, and guys like you are doing your best to whip up hysteria.
  • Reply 584 of 613
    Quote:

I'm not an electrical engineer but what I saw in one thread made sense. If you are near a good signal you will not lose the signal entirely with this bridging issue. If you are in a moderate or poor signal, you will lose the signal. Because when the signal is so good it doesn't need the antenna, it can couple without it. My car antenna was broken, it had basically no antenna. But picked up signals in big cities that were strong sometimes. That is why some people jump up and down saying "Doesn't happen to me!!" but this is probably because they live in a good area for reception.

As to the bumpers, I'm sure they're less than a buck to produce/ship/etc altogether per unit. It's a rubber band with a few bumps.

RBR that's a good point. Steve Jobs almost singled-handedly almost destroyed Apple in the 1980s. Steve Jobs almost single-handedly saved Apple in the 1990s. Steve Jobs may almost single-handedly prevent Apple from really hitting it big and becoming the Microsoft of phones. He just has to have things friggin' thin. Hey I can't hear you on my new iPhone 4 man... But hey, it's so thin! And magical!

Who wants to be Microsoft? To sell your soul for marketshare? Apple is about selling a lot of their designs, and writing the OS for it too. Controlling the computer/device. And making a profit. Marketshare is for losers, like Microsoft and Google.
  • Reply 585 of 613
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

All we ever had was a supposed statement by an AppleCare employee who was probably just guessing. This was all just a big rumor. There will be a 4.0.1 update, but who knows when? Could be tomorrow, could be two months from now.

Okay.

So Mr Dilger's prediction was vapor. What a surprise.

Thanks for the heads-up.
  • Reply 586 of 613
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Okay.

So Mr Dilger's prediction was vapor. What a surprise.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Exhibit A: Death Grip hysteria may end Monday with iOS 4.01

Exhibit B: " Readers report that Apple's tech support forums originally confirmed that a iOS 4.0.1 software fix addressing the issue would ship early next week (as early as Monday), before the comments were subsequently taken down along with all the other related discussion about the matter.

It's Mr. Dilger's prediction all of a sudden? At least try to form a competent argument before posting.
  • Reply 587 of 613
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Exhibit A: Death Grip hysteria may end Monday with iOS 4.01

Exhibit B: " Readers report that Apple's tech support forums originally confirmed that a iOS 4.0.1 software fix addressing the issue would ship early next week (as early as Monday), before the comments were subsequently taken down along with all the other related discussion about the matter.

It's Mr. Dilger's prediction all of a sudden? At least try to form a competent argument before posting.

So as far as you're concerned, DED can post a piece that references unnamed "readers" to suggest that a fix could be here last Monday in a transparent attempt to calm the furore, when there's no basis whatsoever to make that suggestion, and you question my competence to form an argument?

I didn't see the unnamed "readers" penning "articles" in AI claiming such.

Did you?
  • Reply 588 of 613
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

You seem to be reading only the parts that support a pro-Apple bias.

I'm not reading the parts that have any bias, other than there is no perfect design.

Quote:

LOL! Are the facts so difficult to accept that you're not using logic? "Issues" have different characteristics and different degrees. Spencer Webb doesn't even discuss the death grip. As his post is dated June 24th, I'd hazard to guess he wrote it before the issue became well publicized.

Well, your quite frankly wrong - and by making that statement I wonder if you really read the article or just the points that fit your bias.

Despite the flaws and having intimate knowledge of antenna design, he still bought an iPhone 4.

The issue was vastly over-hyped - and thankfully it is dying down. And to the chagrin of the Apple haters, will make not one darn bit of difference to Apple's sales anyway.
  • Reply 589 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Steve is Mr. sarcasm now. Well that that case it all makes sense. Bullshit.

Open your eyes. You are making excuses.

No I wasn't since as it turns out now, the emails were faked. By BGR - barely more credible than gizmodo.

Quote:

You are too funny.

And you were too pathetic. Still clinging to the fatal flaw theory? Don't your posts look a little hysterical a few days later now?
  • Reply 590 of 613
    If anyone still thinks this is an issue, go listen to This Week in Tech 255:

http://www.twit.tv/255

Spencer Webb (the antenna engineer apparently ignorant of the issue he blogged about ) is on and it's pretty good.

Then again they discuss concepts in a logical and calm (OK, not always calm) manner so some here probably won't like the episode simply because it's not
  • Reply 591 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Yes, but could you make a call when it was at one bar? AnandTech's review explains that a) the attenuation of the signal is larger in this phone than others, but because of the large external antenna, and to other changes within the phone, it gives you a) much faster uploads and downloads, and b) much more ability to hold a call at the minimum signal, which is -113 dbm. They demonstrate that the iPhone 4 is much better than its predecessor, and the Nexus One, at holding on to a signal when it's weak. They went so far as to make a conference call and look up some data on the web -- all when there were no bars showing. The call wasn't dropped.

So, you may have been able to make the bars go down, but it likely didn't affect the ability to keep the call. Bars are just a metaphor, not an accurate number. The phones in an Apple store are disabled. They don't want customers making calls from them.

As to the first part, there were reports of a second batch (?) of iPhones with a non-metalic coating on the outside of the aluminum frame/antenna. I have seen no such phones. That is what the comment was about.

I can not speak for all iPhones at all Apple stores, but I made outgoing calls on one of them for the express purpose of seeing how well it worked and how well the noise reduction feature worked. The recipient of the call said that it sounded as though I was in a closet by myself instead of in a crowded Apple store with everyone chattering away. I was impressed with that part of it in any event. For the purpose of that call, I held the phone so that there was no contact between my hand and the lower portion of the iPhone. I wanted to test it in a "best case" environment to see if the voice quality had improved since the 3G. While it is difficult to make a conclusion based upon such a few phone calls, the voice quality was reported to me as being "OK".

The other instances where I held the iPhone in the "conventional manner" some phones dropped from 5 bars to 3, then 2 and soon thereafter none while others had no change at all. This leads me to suspect that there is something going on which is not present in all of the phones. I would have expected a much more consistent result over the handful of phones I tested.

You and I are in agreement about one thing for certain. All that matters is the ability to make a call and not have it drop. I simply do not care what the number of bars displayed may be so long as the phone works!

Cheers
  • Reply 592 of 613
    Quote:

WHAT?!?

They are NOT going to give away free iRubberbands (Bumpers)!? Those seriously must cost like 3 cents to make. They don't get it. This is a great way to lose potential customers. Like me. I will be expecting a free bumper or credit to another case. I'm going to wait a few weeks anyway to see what happens with this whole thing.

They are really handling this badly. Who is their PR firm, the same people working for BP!?

Way to be remembered as an a$$hole Steve. Going out on a sour note. Sad.

Let this thing play itself out. We don't know the constraint Apple are working under. People are taking legal action against Apple which ironically may constrain their ability to offer bumpers. oh and it's more likely the bumpers cost $6 -$12 to make not 3c
  • Reply 593 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post

Let this thing play itself out. We don't know the constraint Apple are working under. People are taking legal action against Apple which ironically may constrain their ability to offer bumpers. oh and it's more likely the bumpers cost $6 -$12 to make not 3c

Surly you jest about the cost of a bumper. It is beyond imagination that the cost of manufacturing one is $6 - $12. Although I previously suggested 12¢ mostly in jest I would not be inclined to believe that the actual cost is more than a dollar. I do believe that providing a nice clear one with the phone would solve a lot of problems, but I am not in Apple marketing.

I saw a Belkin iPad cover (I asked what it was) that was a more or less translucent cover for the sides and back of the iPad that was in use by an Apple employee at the store as he used the iPad to manage customers checking in for the Genius Bar and appointments to purchase iPhones or whatever. I was just soft enough to have good feel and be tacky. I hope they bring out a similar unit for the iPhone 4.

Speaking of hand position on the phone...Apple seems to have taken dead aim on their own big toe and then fired at it repeatedly with their commercials showing the iPhone in use while being held in the manner the company says is "wrong".

Cheers
  • Reply 594 of 613
    Quote:

Surly you jest about the cost of a bumper. It is beyond imagination that the cost of manufacturing one is $6 - $12. Although I previously suggested 12¢ mostly in jest I would not be inclined to believe that the actual cost is more than a dollar. I do believe that providing a nice clear one with the phone would solve a lot of problems, but I am not in Apple marketing.

I saw a Belkin iPad cover (I asked what it was) that was a more or less translucent cover for the sides and back of the iPad that was in use by an Apple employee at the store as he used the iPad to manage customers checking in for the Genius Bar and appointments to purchase iPhones or whatever. I was just soft enough to have good feel and be tacky. I hope they bring out a similar unit for the iPhone 4.

Speaking of hand position on the phone...Apple seems to have taken dead aim on their own big toe and then fired at it repeatedly with their commercials showing the iPhone in use while being held in the manner the company says is "wrong".

Cheers

Cost to Apple

Design,

Materials,

Manufacture,

Transport,

Marketing

Altogether that's more than 3c. Remember it's not a rubber band and there's more design in a bumper than in a Lance Armstrong band. I'm not saying whether or not its worth $30. But it's definitely costing more than 3c or 12c to make. Maybe the total cost to Apple is more like $8 than poss $12 but that's way more than you suggested.

Also, Apple are not giving out the bumpers to appease people. To me this smacks more of legal constraints than Apple anything else.
  • Reply 595 of 613
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,965member
    Quote:

It's only "wrong" for those few having issues. For those happy people in the commercials that grip is normal and just fine thanks.

But I get that you're just having some fun.
  • Reply 596 of 613
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Cost to Apple

Design,

Materials,

Manufacture,

Transport,

Marketing

Altogether that's more than 3c. Remember it's not a rubber band and there's more design in a bumper than in a Lance Armstrong band. I'm not saying whether or not its worth $30. But it's definitely costing more than 3c or 12c to make.

When you use that phrase in this context you are talking well under a dollar each. Sure there are lots of variables with respect to materials and stuff but still you have simple objects that can be massed produced fairly easily.

Quote:

Maybe the total cost to Apple is more like $8 than poss $12 but that's way more than you suggested.

To get the item on the hook in an Apple store it might cost two to three dollars. In the end Apple likely prices by moving the decimal point. Frankly this is no different that the grossly overpriced cables we see in many electronics shops. People are willing to pay the price so the price remains high. This even when equivalent cables can be had cheap online.

Look I don't know what Apple actually pays for these items but I do have experience with the plastics industry. Resin is cheap and the machines are capable of making many parts per cycle. Rubber like products will be slightly different but even so I'd be very surprised if the package on the hook cost Apple more than $3.

Dave

Quote:

Also, Apple are not giving out the bumpers to appease people. To me this smacks more of legal constraints than Apple anything else.

• Reply 597 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Sorry about that. 6 bars means full strength, but 5 bars means only 90% full strength.

OF COURSE FIVE BARS MEANS FULL STRENGTH. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE??

http://www.macintouch.com/reviews/ip...ars_iphone.png

As you can see, five bars DO NOT indicate full strength.

"We noted that fully two-thirds of the signal range is mapped to a full five bars.

"...we created a visualization of the iPhone 4's "wrong" signal strength calculations. Building on the data gathered by AnandTech (see The Real Story on iPhone 4's Antenna), we mapped actual radio signal strength to bars displayed. (The units are dBm, or decibel-milliwatts. For reference, -51 dBm is the signal you would receive standing next to the GSM cell tower, and -113 dBm is the threshold below which a GSM phone cannot receive or transmit data. The closer to zero, the better the reception.)"

http://www.macintouch.com/reviews/iphone4/#recept

Nothing wrong with us...
  • Reply 598 of 613
    Quote:

Cost to Apple

Design,

Materials,

Manufacture,

Transport,

Marketing

Altogether that's more than 3c. Remember it's not a rubber band and there's more design in a bumper than in a Lance Armstrong band. I'm not saying whether or not its worth $30. But it's definitely costing more than 3c or 12c to make. Maybe the total cost to Apple is more like $8 than poss $12 but that's way more than you suggested.

Please note that the cost of manufacturing the item is the cost to which I referred, basically the first three items on your list, which includes costs amortized across the production run, as opposed to the marginal cost of producing one more product.

As to the cost of transportation, if someone actually knows, please feel free to speak up, but I am not inclined to think that it costs much (per unit) to send a container load of items that weigh a few ounces on a ship. I do, however, remain open to facts to the contrary.

Marketing is a wild card. It is difficult to know how Apple allocate the cost of advertising a product such as the iPhone. There may be a 100% charge to that product or there could easily be an allocation to "Apple, Inc." of some portion of those costs because the ads are selling the brand as well as the specific product. As to the cost of advertising the bumpers themselves, I have seen little that I can specifically recall in the way of advertising for them...they really are not the point of the deal...the iPhone is.

In the end I simply do not believe that it costs Apple very much at all to produce a bumper and as one of the later posters described it, to "put it on a hook" in the store.
  • Reply 599 of 613
    Quote:

Please note that the cost of manufacturing the item is the cost to which I referred, basically the first three items on your list, which includes costs amortized across the production run, as opposed to the marginal cost of producing one more product.

As to the cost of transportation, if someone actually knows, please feel free to speak up, but I am not inclined to think that it costs much (per unit) to send a container load of items that weigh a few ounces on a ship. I do, however, remain open to facts to the contrary.

Marketing is a wild card. It is difficult to know how Apple allocate the cost of advertising a product such as the iPhone. There may be a 100% charge to that product or there could easily be an allocation to "Apple, Inc." of some portion of those costs because the ads are selling the brand as well as the specific product. As to the cost of advertising the bumpers themselves, I have seen little that I can specifically recall in the way of advertising for them...they really are not the point of the deal...the iPhone is.

In the end I simply do not believe that it costs Apple very much at all to produce a bumper and as one of the later posters described it, to "put it on a hook" in the store.

Thanks for the info RBR and wizard69

Maybe my estimate was a little high but the point still stands. It costs more than 3c for Apple to produce the Bumpers. Maybe more like $5 - and yes I agree they're making an obscene profit on them. If Giving them out free would quiet everyone and make this thing go away I'm sure they would. But with Class Action suits etc. I don't think they have that option.

I'm not an expert but I would not be surprised to find future production runs include a coating for the antenna
  • Reply 600 of 613
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,965member
    Quote:

I'm not an expert but I would not be surprised to find future production runs include a coating for the antenna

You know, I'm not sure this coating thing is as simple as one might think. It would be on an exposed edge that is designed to afford some protection to the glass if the phone is dropped. The metal band will take the brunt of normal wear. What kind of coating could keep its integrity for long? Once it wears off along the edge of the band it would be compromised. I'm not a materials expert, but it would have to be one hell of a coating. Mylar? Some kind of glass-like material? Polyester?