Death Grip hysteria may end Monday with iOS 4.01

Comments

• Reply 561 of 613
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Great minds ... think alike. I guess I'm missing something.

Ireland's on one of his missions. No time for joking.
  • Reply 562 of 613
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Ireland's on one of his missions. No time for joking.

Twas an ambiguous joke, to be fair.
  • Reply 563 of 613
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Great minds ... think alike. I guess I'm missing something.

And fools seldom differ.
  • Reply 564 of 613
    moofrankmoofrank Posts: 15member
    The Death Grip does cause some bizarre attenuation of the antenna. You'll see it drop most dramatically indoors or in areas without a perfect signal.

Outside and in areas close to a cell tower, I do not see bars drop on mine.

Indoors, I can often get it to drop calls and fail to transmit data.
  • Reply 565 of 613
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

And fools seldom differ.

Part of my collegiate experience was to volunteer at the Haight Ashbury Free Clinic in the summertime. There I learned the following phrase, which is helpful in bringing people down from a bad trip.

"The mountains are my friend, they do not want to swallow me.

The mountains are my friend, they do not want to swallow me.

The mountains are my friend, they do not want to swallow me.

The mountains are my friend, they do not want to swallow me."

Repeat as necessary.
  • Reply 566 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abirozy View Post

Has anyone heard a more definite answer on when or if there will be a software update? I know the IOS 4 update was at around 10:00 a.m. PST. As of right now, I do not believe there is any update.

Thanks

Adam

So, when Apple Insider said that "readers CONFIRM" a software update, did they happen to check directly with Apple to see if this was true?
  • Reply 568 of 613
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

WHAT?!?

They are NOT going to give away free iRubberbands (Bumpers)!? Those seriously must cost like 3 cents to make. They don't get it. This is a great way to lose potential customers. Like me. I will be expecting a free bumper or credit to another case. I'm going to wait a few weeks anyway to see what happens with this whole thing.

They are really handling this badly. Who is their PR firm, the same people working for BP!?

Way to be remembered as an a$$hole Steve. Going out on a sour note. Sad.
  • Reply 569 of 613
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

WHAT?!?

They are NOT going to give away free iRubberbands (Bumpers)!? Those seriously must cost like 3 cents to make. They don't get it. This is a great way to lose potential customers. Like me. I will be expecting a free bumper or credit to another case. I'm going to wait a few weeks anyway to see what happens with this whole thing.

They are really handling this badly. Who is their PR firm, the same people working for BP!?

Actually, there have been several articles about Steve making the situation worse by his comments. Whoever the PR firm may be, they probably are not in control. Steve is...just ask him if in doubt. He can be unmanageable.

I have spoken with enough people now that I feel confident that there is a firmware problem (iPhone 3G & 3Gs as well as iPods that were updated to iOS 4 have had problems that they did not have with iOS 3.x) which is complicating whatever hardware or other issue there may be with the iPhone 4 itself. What is difficult to figure out is just why some units have the problem and many others do not. It suggests a production or process control problem or perhaps a problem with a component supplier.

In my view, Apple should be exchanging problem units for enough people to get a good size sample in for testing to see just what is going on. Whatever the problem may be, Apple needs to figure out what it is and resolve it quickly.
  • Reply 570 of 613
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Saw this first hand, but it does not seem to affect all devices. One or two bars go away if you bridge the GSM antenna and blutooth antenna I believe.
  • Reply 571 of 613
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RBR View Post

In my view, Apple should be exchanging problem units for enough people to get a good size sample in for testing to see just what is going on. Whatever the problem may be, Apple needs to figure it out what it is and resolve it quickly.

Yes, it's interesting that Apple appears to have decided that, no, it will not exchange those units. I wonder if that means all iPhone 4s have this problem, or none of them do. But, it is odd that they haven't reclaimed a bunch of these problematic phones to see if there's merit in the complaints.
  • Reply 572 of 613
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

WHAT?!?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RBR View Post

Actually, there have been several articles about Steve making the situation worse by his comments. Whoever the PR firm may be, they probably are not in control. Steve is...just ask him if in doubt. He can be unmanageable.

I have spoken with enough people now that I feel confident that there is a firmware problem (iPhone 3G & 3Gs as well as iPods that were updated to iOS 4 have had problems that they did not have with iOS 3.x) which is complicating whatever hardware or other issue there may be with the iPhone 4 itself. What is difficult to figure out is just why some units have the problem and many others do not. It suggest a production or process control problem or perhaps a problem with a component supplier.

In my view, Apple should be exchanging problem units for enough people to get a good size sample in for testing to see just what is going on. Whatever the problem may be, Apple needs to figure it out what it is and resolve it quickly.

1) Nothing would make this situation into a much bigger fiasco than Apple resolving the issue by giving away Bumpers.

2) The Bumpers cost more than 3¢ to make. I'm sure they cost a lot less than the $10, too, if we consider a 200% mark up, but that is the world of accessories. Apple makes a quality product and now others can price accordingly. If they made it $10 people would still complain ? because they only cost 3¢, ya know ?*and those who sell accessories are then destine to sell well below that range to compete. If you want an accessory there will be plenty to choose from in price and quality.

3) Andy Ihnatko sums up the Bumpers nicely.
    At $29, the bumper seems a bit pricey. But it isn?t just a thick rubber band: the iPhone?s power and volume buttons are covered by well-engineered mechanical pushers. Once it?s in place, the bumper looks like an integral part of the iPhone.

I like what the bumper does to the iPhone 4. It adds practically no bulk to the phone and doesn?t mar its clean design at all. Meanwhile, its rubberized surface makes the iPhone much ?grippier? and prevents it from sliding away from you on a marble tabletop when you make a clumsy reach for it.
    His review is worth reading as it's quite balanced, but his campy writing style does irl me quite a bit.
  • Reply 573 of 613
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

<snip>

2) The Bumpers cost more than 3¢ to make.<snip>

Yea, I bet they cost as much as...oh, 12¢.

Seriously, I think a simple clear or translucent one should come with the phone so that it is not so slippery and yes, we all know $29 is waaaaay overpriced.

Interesting article in the link. Thanks for posting it.
  • Reply 574 of 613
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I like what the bumper does to the iPhone 4. It adds practically no bulk to the phone and doesn?t mar its clean design at all. Meanwhile, its rubberized surface makes the iPhone much ?grippier? and prevents it from sliding away from you on a marble tabletop when you make a clumsy reach for it.

Kinda makes one wonder why it wasn't integrated into the design in the first place, maybe even a transparent version. Especially if it adds additional functionality and overcomes the impact and reception issues, huh?

Form over function perhaps?

Thx for the excerpt.
  • Reply 575 of 613
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    ... With 4.01 fixing everything as predicted by DED?

Funnin' wid ya there...

Just wondering, is all, since it's been a couple of days. I don't have an iP4 to check the OTA situation so I'll rely on the folks here to update me, especially if it's an iP4 update only. If it includes the 3Gs then we're covered.

Thx all.
  • Reply 576 of 613
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'd say something if it was in a weird location, but it's right where your left hand naturally falls when you're simply holding the phone while you use it with your right.

You hold the phone in the exact same place whether you use your left or your right hand?
  • Reply 577 of 613
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

... With 4.01 fixing everything as predicted by DED?

Funnin' wid ya there...

Just wondering, is all, since it's been a couple of days. I don't have an iP4 to check the OTA situation so I'll rely on the folks here to update me, especially if it's an iP4 update only. If it includes the 3Gs then we're covered.

Thx all.

All we ever had was a supposed statement by an AppleCare employee who was probably just guessing. This was all just a big rumor. There will be a 4.0.1 update, but who knows when? Could be tomorrow, could be two months from now.
  • Reply 578 of 613
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I'm not an electrical engineer but what I saw in one thread made sense. If you are near a good signal you will not lose the signal entirely with this bridging issue. If you are in a moderate or poor signal, you will lose the signal. Because when the signal is so good it doesn't need the antenna, it can couple without it. My car antenna was broken, it had basically no antenna. But picked up signals in big cities that were strong sometimes. That is why some people jump up and down saying "Doesn't happen to me!!" but this is probably because they live in a good area for reception.

As to the bumpers, I'm sure they're less than a buck to produce/ship/etc altogether per unit. It's a rubber band with a few bumps.

RBR that's a good point. Steve Jobs almost singled-handedly almost destroyed Apple in the 1980s. Steve Jobs almost single-handedly saved Apple in the 1990s. Steve Jobs may almost single-handedly prevent Apple from really hitting it big and becoming the Microsoft of phones. He just has to have things friggin' thin. Hey I can't hear you on my new iPhone 4 man... But hey, it's so thin! And magical!
  • Reply 579 of 613
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Steve Jobs almost single-handedly saved Apple in the 1990s.

Steve Jobs certainly made Apple the popular, trendy corporation it is today around 1998 or so when the iMac was introduced, but it was really Microsoft that saved Apple in the 90s when they made a $150 million investment in the corporation, as well as committing to shipping several versions of their popular software, Office and IE, for the Mac for a minimum of five years.
    Quote:

Steve Jobs may almost single-handedly prevent Apple from really hitting it big and becoming the Microsoft of phones. He just has to have things friggin' thin. Hey I can't hear you on my new iPhone 4 man... But hey, it's so thin! And magical!

You know... Being the "Microsoft" of phones isn't really a good thing... Windows Mobile has never really taken off. Perhaps a better analogy might be the "RIM of phones" or the "Symbian of phones."
  • Reply 580 of 613
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Steve Jobs may almost single-handedly prevent Apple from really hitting it big and becoming the Microsoft of phones. He just has to have things friggin' thin. Hey I can't hear you on my new iPhone 4 man... But hey, it's so thin! And magical!

1) For Apple to be the MS of phones, it means losing marketshare.

2) If you meant having the desktop OS dominance Windows has, then it means Apple completely destroying their business model of selling HW and instead licensing their OS to other vendors. That hasn't worked out well for MS.

3) Apple takes in a reported 1/3 of the PC vendor profits and they are still outgrowing the market in unit sales without sacrificing profit. Do you know what that means, it means they are taking an even larger chuck of the PC market's profits.

4) Your implication that the phone being too thin is the reason any calls are dropped simply makes no sense at all.