Apple will give away free cases for every iPhone 4 through Sept. 30

Comments

• Reply 81 of 316
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

I don't have issues, I don't like cases, probably won't get one but free is free, might be good to have around when I sell it to get the iPhone 5 in a couple of years.

But the good point of this whole thing is: those complaining loudest (most likely non-owners), you can get a case and STFU, return the phone and STFU, or just STFU.

Actually, from the comments I've read, the people complaining the "loudest" about this ARE the people with the issues.

What is with you people? I've seen ip4 owners complain about this, only to be called a whiner, a troll, and even have their ownership questioned... It's a legitimate issue.
  • Reply 82 of 316
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

You've never seen one of Apple's bumpers have you?

While the components are most likely molded, they still have to be assembled.

In volume, this kind of case can be made very inexpensively, even with hand assembly and metal components. There are larger and more complex consumer items that are also made inexpensively, allowing tremendous mark-ups.
  • Reply 83 of 316
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

ITS NOT BROKEN

The return rate is lower than the previous phone, and the call drop rate is well within margin of error compared to the previous phone. In fact, if you factor in 4x fewer cases on the new phone then its actually dropping fewer calls.

When did the phone go on sale again? What's the 30 day mark? Oh right...

Lets take a closer look at return numbers when they start to become relevant.
  • Reply 84 of 316
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    I think the press conference today was perfect - it was exactly what was needed.

I personally thought there was a problem with the antenna - now I'm not actually so sure.

My biggest beef with the iPhone 4 right now is that I can't get one - been waiting two weeks and am informed its likely to be at least a week more.

I think they (Apple) made a major and strategically critical move today, and they said and did exactly the right thing.
  • Reply 85 of 316
    ptfernptfern Posts: 17member
    As some people predicted. A bunch of numbers and self-congratulatory remarks, followed by a free case.

Done. Next!
  • Reply 86 of 316
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

So all of you who stated here that you never had issues with attenuation( Solipsism, etc. ), won't be

getting the free case, right? Right.. that's what I thought.

Gee, Boogerman, aren't you just assuming that others have the same morals and ethics as yours?

Hey, I bought a case from Radio Shack-- an Incipio DermaSHOT.

I bought it to protect the phone-- because soccer season is starting and I will be out and about a lot (4 practices and 2 games each week).

I bought a case for every iPhone I've owned.

I was hoping to buy a case with an external battery (like the Mophie JuicePack Air for the 3G and 3GS).

But nothing like that is available, yet, for the iP4. When I find a good one I will buy it! Some of those Saturday soccer games result in a 12-hour day. I plan to use the iP4 camera and the iPad CCC to capture extemperaneous videos while using my Panny VideoCam for more planned shotes. Either me, or one of the grand kids will be using the iP4.

Protection is a good thing

• Reply 87 of 316
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Did he ever say "sorry" or "I/we apologize?" Just curious as the feed obviously isnt a verbatim report.

no he didn't.

10:07AM "You know, we're not perfect. We know that, you know that. And phones aren't perfect either."

10:16AM "And we had a reporting error -- we screwed up on our algorithm. Some of these other phones may be too generous. Our choice was to put the correct algorithm in. And we did that with the new update. You'll still see a drop... we haven't figured out a way around the laws of physics yet."

10:36AM "We do this because we love our users, and if we screw up, we pick ourselves up and we try harder. And when we succeed, they reward us by staying our users. ..."
  • Reply 88 of 316
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

I think the press conference today was perfect - it was exactly what was needed.

I personally thought there was a problem with the antenna - now I'm not actually so sure.

My biggest beef with the iPhone 4 right now is that I can't get one - been waiting two weeks and am informed its likely to be at least a week more.

I think they (Apple) made a major and strategically critical move today, and they said and did exactly the right thing.

Really... ?

"We knew that you could see bars drop on the phone when you hold it in a certain way, it's a fact..." Steve Jobs"
  • Reply 89 of 316
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Did he ever say "sorry" or "I/we apologize?" Just curious as the feed obviously isnt a verbatim report.

To me it makes sense not to apologize, every headline would be "Steve Jobs Says I'm Sorry."

Instead, they're stuck with quotes like, "we want to make all of our users happy."
  • Reply 90 of 316
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    I wonder what are the odds that they do a "silent" hardware update, that is, change the hardware in new releases but don't announce it so that people don't return the phones trying to get the new version?

Jobs was pretty vague about hardware updates, I'm sure intentionally.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, I think he just showed that other than everyone knowing the best point to touch to drop signal, this really isn't any different than other phones out there, so, nothing to fix.

He said that it's no different than other phones. But many independent tests have shown that the amount of signal attenuation is significantly lower with other phones. I haven't seen a test showing any other phone even coming close.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

But the good point of this whole thing is: those complaining loudest (most likely non-owners), you can get a case and STFU, return the phone and STFU, or just STFU.

Funny, it looks like those complaining loudest are probably the ones who led to apple taking this action, you should probably be thanking them.
  • Reply 91 of 316
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Actually, when asked if they were planning a redesign, Jobs answer was

"Steve: We?re still working on this ? we?re happy with the design. ? we?re getting a lot of reports from customers that it?s way better than the 3GS. I don?t know what our next antenna design will be ? maybe our wizards in the antenna lab will come up with something better. But looking at the data, we don?t think we have a problem."

hardly a no. Obviously, if they are still selling the iPhone 4, something has to give. Either the extend the free bumper offer or something changes on the phone itself.

If the answer to appease customers is to give away a Bumper, then they might make it part of the product. I didn?t think they could give away a Bumper without making case makers upset, but that is apparently not a concern, or at least a major concern.

The next iPhones may simply come with a colour-approrpite Bumper in the box, already on the iPhone 4. This way it?s included and the customer can remove it at their discretion. Or, since it?s a ring, you don?t put it on the iPhone 4 (so you can still advertise the naked phone, but include it in the accessory area of the box with the headphones, power adapter and USB cable with the Bumper ring.

This leaves the opportunity to still sell other Bumper colours to customers.
  • Reply 92 of 316
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    "Look at our phones. They're beautiful. Jony Ive spent 13 years designing it. But for the phone to work, you have to throw this gay-ass cover on it and conceal the fruits of Jony's labor. Why look at a wonderful achievement in industrial design when you can ogle at Hello Kitty's ass?!"

Does anyone offer a clear bumper case?
  • Reply 93 of 316
    So you can't buy a bumper on the U.S store but you can on the UK store.

Is this free bumpers for anyone in the U.S only??

I stand corrected, the UK site has just been updated. :-)
  • Reply 94 of 316
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Interesting, AAPL is up about $3 since the press meeting began at 10:00 PST. That's on a down market!

I guess that someone(s) liked what they heard!

• Reply 95 of 316
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    In the Q&A Jobs specifically said the free bumper program was international.
  • Reply 96 of 316
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Really... ?

"We knew that you could see bars drop on the phone when you hold it in a certain way, it's a fact..." Steve Jobs"

Not sure I get your question. Yes - REALLY. I really meant it.

They presented actual data and the actual data refutes the notion that this is a wide-spread issue. And against that, they still decided to give away free cases, and to allow refunds with no restocking.

They did the right thing, and then some, in my opinion.
  • Reply 97 of 316
    stillmanstillman Posts: 16member
    Smart move by Apple. Buy an iPhone before Sept. 30 and you get a free case thrown in. What are the odds they'll sell even more iPhones over the Summer? People love free stuff. Almost enough to make people rush out and get an iPhone while the offer lasts.
  • Reply 98 of 316
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

So all of you who stated here that you never had issues with attenuation( Solipsism, etc. ), won't be

getting the free case, right? Right.. that's what I thought.

I'm gonna be one of the cool people who boldly brandish my caseless, bumperless, screen-protectlonless iPhone. That's just how I roll.

That said, in Austin, signal strength is pretty good so. . . Clingin to my guns, religion and now bare-naked iPhone 4!
  • Reply 99 of 316
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freakboy View Post

Jobs is truly the best salesman on the planet right now. He turns a giant clusterF* into a PR coup simply by giving out free stuff that fixes a problem.

He said what needed to be said and what exactly creates the apple lovefest: "Apple loves its customers and we will fix this for you!"

it is what makes me always buy their stuff.

Now if only my iphone 4 would ship!!! I want mine!

"We will continue to work on more advanced antenna designs that don?t have this problem or put this problem in an out of the way place.

Read more: http://www.macnn.com/live/#ixzz0ts7axD3G";
  • Reply 100 of 316
    These girls don't even know the name of my Band (aid)

But they're all on my like they wanna hold hands