Apple will give away free cases for every iPhone 4 through Sept. 30

Comments

• Reply 41 of 316
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

---Agree-what happens after Sept 30?!!!

At that point, anyone who buys knows exactly about the so-called 'problem'.

If they still want the iPhone 4 (and they will), then there's no issue.
  • Reply 42 of 316
    I feel sorry for the morons who paid $80 on eBay for a bumper. To the people selling these for more than $30.......LOL!
  • Reply 43 of 316
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

They already indicated they are happy with the current antenna design and have no plans to change it in the near future.

That's not what they said. They said:

Q from Connie at Bloomberg: Why Sept. 30 for case limit?

A: We just are going to wait and see, maybe we'll have a better idea. It's just a chance to say we'll reevaluate it in September.
  • Reply 44 of 316
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reapern View Post

2. They're gonna give customers free bumper cases until september 30. HOW ABOUT THE CUSTOMERS AFTER THAT???? Will everybody just start going crazy about antenna problems then?? hmmm sounds to me like apple is planning to do something else about this by then

Exactly, I think so too. I posted this in the other thread....this is from the Q&A from Mobile Crunch.

Quote:

Q: On the free bumpers. That goes until Sept. 30th; is that because by Sept. 30th, people should just know the phone has issues?

by Greg Kumparak at 1:52 PM

A: No, that just gives us time to reexamine. Maybe people will be less focused on this problem; maybe we'll have a better idea.

by Greg Kumparak at 1:53 PM

• Reply 45 of 316
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

what about the slow uplaod att thing? why did nobody ask abou that . it makes my phone useless when i am not in a wifi area.

That's an AT&T network problem, not a defect with the iPhone 4. AT&T is aware of the issue.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20...html?tag=mncol
  • Reply 46 of 316
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Not for good reason?for greed. If someone was truly so unhappy with the iPhone 4 that they regretted the purchase, they would return the phone and get the phone of their dreams. Or if they wanted the iPhone 4 so much they would buy a case. Or, you know, use it, like pretty much everyone is content to do?it has been a long time since I've had a phone as reliable as my iPhone 4.

No, if they sue at this point, it will be because of old-fashioned tried and true greed.

Expect the lawsuits. I'm sure Apple is.

I don't think anyone is going to have much in the way of grounds for a suit. This all came out from day 0, and they've made this announcement before day 30, and the nature of the problem is out there, so it's not like they can be accused of hiding anything from consumers, and if you choose not to return your phone, well, you basically said you didn't consider it a serious problem.

This isn't an issue that showed up past the return period and they refused to take it back. So, anyone hanging on to your iP4 because you want to be part of a lawsuit, good luck.
  • Reply 47 of 316
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

$10 for those bumpers? You're kidding me right. They have machines in China pump those things from a mold faster than you can type. I'd say $1 each is about right.

You've never seen one of Apple's bumpers have you?

While the components are most likely molded, they still have to be assembled.
  • Reply 48 of 316
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

Those plastic cases cost about 25c to manufacture, though after you factor in the packaging and distribution related expenses, the cost may be in the $1 range.

You have no way of knowing that.
  • Reply 49 of 316
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

That's not what they said. They said:

Q from Connie at Bloomberg: Why Sept. 30 for case limit?

A: We just are going to wait and see, maybe we'll have a better idea. It's just a chance to say we'll reevaluate it in September.

Actually it's exactly what they said. They asked point blank if they planned a redesign and Steve said no.
  • Reply 50 of 316
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

I see a lot of people in the queue who "never" had any signal issues! Hypocrites.

Hey Einstein! Human nature alert: people love free stuff. There are no conditions on this offer so just about everyone who buys an iPhone before the cutoff will ask for a free case. Only the whiners are upset. Now that they can get a free bumper or return the phone, it makes their bitching seems especially irrational. Once again, Mr. Jobs shows why he is the best CEO on the planet. Checkmate.
  • Reply 51 of 316
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Did some of you even read the transcript: They are NOT giving away Bumpers, only 3rd party cases, which are very cheap - the reason (supposedly) is because they don't have enough bumpers (BS). The cases are less than $1 to make, and the bumpers are high quality, multi-material, precision cases - totally different, and much costlier to make. This means Apple will still make a bunch of money, because no one will want to use the cheapo case, even if free. Loved his comment about Eminem maybe coming out with a piece of tape that everyone may want to use instead (what next "Eminem Personalized Battleribbon Duct-tape")
  • Reply 52 of 316
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

So all of you who stated here that you never had issues with attenuation( Solipsism, etc. ), won't be

getting the free case, right? Right.. that's what I thought.

So now that you don't have an issue to whine about, you're turning on the folks who were right to begin with, huh?

Classy
  • Reply 53 of 316
    tdg911tdg911 Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

I see a lot of people in the queue who "never" had any signal issues! Hypocrites.

Couldn't agree with you more!
  • Reply 54 of 316
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

Those plastic cases cost about 25c to manufacture, though after you factor in the packaging and distribution related expenses, the cost may be in the $1 range.

Not true.

But then we could go back and forth all day and not get anywhere so if you want to believe that I won't stop you.

Generally speaking the margin on plastic cases is 85% which is huge, but it doesn't mean that the case only cost "pennies to make" that's just a euphemism that's been floating around. 85% margin would put the case at about five bucks, but (surprise!) Apple's case is much better than most and involves three different types of plastic laminated together with integrated metal buttons. I'm guessing that cost a little more.

So it's in the five to ten dollar range, but it's not $.25.
  • Reply 55 of 316
    gqmacgqmac Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Meriana View Post

Problem solved i'd say. Bumpers that cost Apple $1 in production.

actually - i know the factory - it costs just under $3
  • Reply 56 of 316
    WOW! Near 60 day FREE trial to use an iPhone 4 and/or get a free case to help with the antenna issue. Can't wait to get my $30 refund for my bumper. Thanks Apple! and Steve!
  • Reply 57 of 316
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I think I was one of those.

I was wrong, but I still think the same way about it. Steve spent half an hour showing how there wasn't really an issue worth mentioning, but then they have to throw a freebie at the whiners just to shut them up. I think it's wrong and I won't be availing myself of the opportunity to get one, because .... wait for it .... I'm not a hypocrite!

Seriously. As much as I think all the people complaining are useless whiners, those that *don't* think there is a problem (like me) who then turn around and get their free bumper are lower than pond scum IMO.

Right or wrong, stick to what you believe or you don't have any credibility at all. Also, since the cases are going to be in short supply, how about letting the fat-handed people who actually believe they have a problem holding the phone properly to get the cases they need?

I have a lot of respect for you to admit you were wrong, and standing by your principles.

I thought he did a great job and I think he did turn this around.
  • Reply 58 of 316
    Is the the free case offer is only for buyers of iPhone 4 in the US or also extends to international buyers in other countries ????
  • Reply 59 of 316
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

Actually it's exactly what they said. They asked point blank if they planned a redesign and Steve said no.

Where did you see that? My post came from the Macworld feed and JupiterOne's post came from MobileCrunch.
  • Reply 60 of 316
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

I may try a third party case. I don't like the Apple bumper. It's not grippy enough. I found myself dropping it as it's just as slick as the bare case. I ended up with a Belkin case that's a more rubbery/grippy feel (and clear). It only adds about 1 mm on each each, so also lower profile than the apple bumper.

Sorry, I should have made it clear I was talking about the total hypocrites not the regular case buyers.

I was mainly referring to those that normally wouldn't use a case or buy one and had no reception problems. Personally, I don't know why anyone would want a case, but most people seem to like em.