Apple will give away free cases for every iPhone 4 through Sept. 30

Comments

• Reply 61 of 316
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

Yes, he apologized. But he's still in denial about the flaw, because "every phone has weak spots?.

And you don?t think this is true despite the multitude of videos.

What proof do you have that there is a [design] flaw, which I assume you to mean it would require a total recall of each and every iPhone 4 sold?

Quote:

Well, if the bumper makes your weak spot go away, then a) your statement is untrue and b) why not insulate the antenna at the factory?

The free case, the stats suggesting the issue isn?t that widespread, and reiteration of the 30 days return policy is meant to make the whiny ass mob mentality chill the frak out. That?s it.

It?s all PR, but rest assured that the CEO of Apple is much more aware of this problem at Apple than we are.
  • Reply 62 of 316
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Where did you see that? My post came from the Macworld feed and JupiterOne's post came from MobileCrunch.

Reuters feed
  • Reply 63 of 316
    ruckerzruckerz Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I may try a third party case. I don't like the Apple bumper. It's not grippy enough. I found myself dropping it as it's just as slick as the bare case. I ended up with a Belkin case that's a more rubbery/grippy feel (and clear). It only adds about 1 mm on each each, so also lower profile than the apple bumper.

I personally never liked rubber/grippy cases. They grab my (cloth) pockets when I pull them out.
  • Reply 64 of 316
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Did he ever say "sorry" or "I/we apologize?" Just curious as the feed obviously isnt a verbatim report.

Yes at 10:46, Steve says: "But some have problems and I will apologize to them."
  • Reply 65 of 316
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Sorry, I should have made it clear I was talking about the total hypocrites not the regular case buyers.

I was mainly referring to those that normally wouldn't use a case or buy one and had no reception problems. Personally, I don't know why anyone would want a case, but most people seem to like em.

I actually buy them for usability. I work out a lot, and when you doing decline exercises, where your hips are elevated above your head, your phone, if it's too slippery, tends to fall out of your pockets
  • Reply 66 of 316
    gotapplegotapple Posts: 115member
    Like I'd like to put my super expensive iPhone 4G inside some plastic crap. Steve, please fix the phone instead, ok?
  • Reply 67 of 316
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

I am interested to know what those who:

-- were experiencing real problems

-- were waiting for Apple's response before purchasing an iPhone 4

-- have already returned their iPhone 4s, awaiting a hardware change

think of Apple's response.

Are you satisfied, or, at least, mollified?

Will you purchase your first iPhone 4?

will you purchase another iPhone 4 to replace a returned iPhone 4?

• Reply 68 of 316
    tdg911tdg911 Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mutant View Post

Mark my words - There will be a lot of people that think this is bull and will try to sue. I'm glad Apple addressed this but there will always be people that will never be happy.

Glad that they addressed it? The only reason why they are addressing this now is because it turned into a PR nightmare and they were in a checkmate type of situation...

I'm a huge Apple fan. I own a lot of Apple equipment but the way this entire iPhone 4 deal has been handled is crap. My business line is my iPhone and all I wanted in the beginning was just admit the flaw and let the consumers know the problem will be fixed. But I was informed by ATT and Mr. Jobs that I am holding my phone incorrectly.

This is good that they are caught with their pants down. Serves them right. They tried to put the screws to the consumer and they were called out. This situation only began to spiral out of control after the Consumer Reports decision to publicly announce that they (CR) would not recommend the device.

Outside of that I seriously doubt anything would have been done about it. Granted it's "only" a phone, but when it affects my business and I cannot conduct business like I used to then that makes it a big problem for me. Sue? Of course not. I simply sell this pos and pay to get out of my contract and move on...

I just want the phone fixed is all. If they can't (won't) fix then I simply move on to another crappy carrier.

Cheers
  • Reply 69 of 316
    reapernreapern Posts: 11member
    TO BAGMAN

actually it's exactly the other way around: "• Q: Does the refund apply only to Apple branded bumpers? A: Yes, no refund for third-party cases" from macdailynews.

TO JupiterOne

we should be appleinsider buddies! we think exactly the same!
  • Reply 70 of 316
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Actually it's exactly what they said. They asked point blank if they planned a redesign and Steve said no.

Actually, when asked if they were planning a redesign, Jobs answer was

"Steve: We?re still working on this ? we?re happy with the design. ? we?re getting a lot of reports from customers that it?s way better than the 3GS. I don?t know what our next antenna design will be ? maybe our wizards in the antenna lab will come up with something better. But looking at the data, we don?t think we have a problem."

hardly a no. Obviously, if they are still selling the iPhone 4, something has to give. Either the extend the free bumper offer or something changes on the phone itself.
  • Reply 71 of 316
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

Like I'd like to put my super expensive iPhone 4G inside some plastic crap. Steve, please fix the phone instead, ok?

Well, I think he just showed that other than everyone knowing the best point to touch to drop signal, this really isn't any different than other phones out there, so, nothing to fix. So, get yourself a super expensive case if it's a problem, or return it. You can even buy one just to return if you want to make a statement that way.
  • Reply 72 of 316
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

I see a lot of people in the queue who "never" had any signal issues! Hypocrites.

We never had any signal issue with the antenna short problem, BUT I did buy a case for the phone in the store at the time of purchase so it has never been used without a case. I'll be more than happy to get a refund on the case. It won't be a big loss for Apple since I'm sure I'll just end up spending that amount and way more on apps and media. Plus, we'll probably be buying another iPad next year.

Great company. Glad to see that they are once again doing the right thing and taking care of their customers. Whatever is a hater to do now?
  • Reply 73 of 316
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    After September 30, they haven't decided yet (as Jobs said in the QA). Is there any reason that people need to know now? Obviously if the public won't buy without a case, they'll include one.

Quote:

The actual cost is closer to 10 bucks

Source?

Quote:

he made it fairly obvious that there wasn't really even a problem (except for the psychological one), that they could find.

Did you even read what Jobs said? Of course he admitted there's a problem. He just said that 1) other phones have the same problem (even though most others seem to have it to a smaller degree) and 2) they think the problem is minor enough that they're not going to change the phone design.

Quote:

Steve spent half an hour showing how there wasn't really an issue worth mentioning

Again, he admitted there IS an issue. He just downplayed it by saying other phones have it and there haven't been as many returns.

And did you miss the fact that 4 has slightly more dropped calls than 3GS?
  • Reply 74 of 316
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

So now that you don't have an issue to whine about, you're turning on the folks who were right to begin with, huh?

Classy

oops, I touched a nerve.. but I think you know exactly how it's going to go down, don't you. Be honest with yourself.
  • Reply 75 of 316
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
  • Reply 76 of 316
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Yes, "physics" is the culprit. Those darn rules of the cosmos.

I don't see any point in cheering Apple's decision to give free cases, but rather take it as a neutral solution. It's not the best case scenario, but at least it's something.

As far as comparing "the best phone in the world" to other devices, whatever. It's not surprising that instead of taking responsibility for a poor design, they point to the very companies they constantly crack on and say "WELL THEIRS DOES IT TOO!"

I can confirm the death grip thing does have some effect on my friend's touch pro, but it's not as bad as a bridge being made between two antennas with a light touch, at all.
  • Reply 77 of 316
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I don't have issues, I don't like cases, probably won't get one but free is free, might be good to have around when I sell it to get the iPhone 5 in a couple of years.

But the good point of this whole thing is: those complaining loudest (most likely non-owners), you can get a case and STFU, return the phone and STFU, or just STFU.

• Reply 78 of 316
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

$10 for those bumpers? You're kidding me right. They have machines in China pump those things from a mold faster than you can type. I'd say $1 each is about right.

Sounds like you have never examined the bumper closely.

They are more than just a molded device. There are multiple parts and materials melded together. Certainly they're not expensive to produce. But you're drastically underestimating the cost.
  • Reply 79 of 316
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

Tso they have offered to buy cases from other manufacturers at full retail price and then give them to the whiners free of charge.

Who's a whiner and who's someone with a legitimate complaint? How do YOU differentiate the two?
  • Reply 80 of 316
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

ITS NOT BROKEN

The return rate is lower than the previous phone, and the call drop rate is well within margin of error compared to the previous phone. In fact, if you factor in 4x fewer cases on the new phone then its actually dropping fewer calls.