Blu-ray special features coming to App Store

Comments

• Reply 81 of 166
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Except that you want to have a physical copy of a file, in addition to having it stored on an HD as a precaution. DVD simply isn't good enough for that function now that the files coming off some video recording devices is so massive. My hybrid camera, for instance, produces huge files and I'd just as soon have something with more capacity to work with. The DVDs I'm burning my files onto are piling up.

Blu-Ray has a place in an HD work flow for the average consumer who is into shooting video. Even if the distribution of professional material is more popular through other means, there is still a point to having a higher capacity optical storage option available for personal use. I assume that DRM is simply not an issue when you're burning your own material but I'm no expert on that subject. I would certainly not be comfortable with having my files stored exclusively on a device that could quite easily fail, taking my video files with it. I realize that optical media is far from secure but having files stored in a variety of forms is a smart thing to do. Putting all your faith in a single storage option is playing Russian Roulette with your memories. It's irreplaceable stuff that becomes far more valuable with age.

As for optical media disappearing as a means of distributing movies and the like, I don't see that happening. What I do see, however, is that the difference in quality between upconverted DVD and Blu-Ray is such that the average consumer will only embrace Blu-Ray if the cost of movies and the players themselves fall in line with what we're all used to paying for DVD. There was a belief that consumers would pay a premium but few will. The sooner Hollywood studios figure that out the sooner Blu-Ray will take hold in a serious way. There are signs that message is sinking in and I hope it does because I'd hate to think people into quality are going to suffer because the average schmuck isn't paying enough attention to bother supporting a superior format. I see the difference between proper HD and upconverted DVD but I also realize that the difference is subtle enough many people, distracted by the details that bombard us daily, simply wouldn't notice. Put in a DVD and it looks pretty good. For most that's good enough.

In any case, Blu-Ray is going to be around for quite some time and be more than a fringe item. It will share the stage, unlike past technologies, but it will be a very popular format. Apple will, eventually, offer Blu-Ray support but it's not something that will happen as quickly as some would like.

See my post here. I would like to add that all dvd media is dead. MY kids now use little game cards for there DS game machines . WE will bypass dvd players for direct movie playback maybe with a roku type machine or your computer . We will buy our movies placed on little storage cards like SD OR USB3 cards.

Permanent storage.

• Reply 82 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Not if you own a 42 inch plasma TV. It's the only way to go at this point.

Why ? Its just a file. A mac mini thru its dvd player or quicktime player can read and play any file. I would not buy so -so movies on dvd anymore > just the 007 level .

• Reply 83 of 166
    Quote:

That's funny- 'cause none of those things is HD.

HULU is HD .

i think

hi res at least
  • Reply 84 of 166
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Why ? Its just a file. A mac mini thru its dvd player or quicktime player can read and play any file. I would not buy so -so movies on dvd anymore > just the 007 level .

Because nothing looks as good as Blu-ray. And the sound is an even worse story.
  • Reply 85 of 166
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

That's funny- 'cause none of those things is HD.

HD isn't a prerequisite to having a successful media distribution service.

Quote:

HULU is HD .

i think

They offer higher bit rate 480 progressive option. For marketing terms its label HD, but its not officially an HD format.
  • Reply 86 of 166
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Not if you own a 42 inch plasma TV. It's the only way to go at this point.

Well, mine is 52" and I have compared several movies (BD and iTunes 720p rentals). BDs have slightly better picture quality, but it's not a quantum leap and not worth almost twice the price. The downloaded file is also much more comfortable to use (jumping to different chapters or forward/rewind is instantaneous and stutter-free, while the BD simply sucks). I also get a free iPhone/iPod standard definition version with these movies from iTunes, while the "digital copies" included with some BDs do only play on Windows machines or even only on PSPs.
  • Reply 87 of 166
    Quote:

Because nothing looks as good as Blu-ray. And the sound is an even worse story.

so can there be a blu ray drive .

because the dvd is dead .
  • Reply 88 of 166
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Well, mine is 52" and I have compared several movies (BD and iTunes 720p rentals). BDs have slightly better picture quality, but it's not a quantum leap and not worth almost twice the price. The downloaded file is also much more comfortable to use (jumping to different chapters or forward/rewind is instantaneous and stutter-free, while the BD simply sucks). I also get a free iPhone/iPod standard definition version with these movies from iTunes, while the "digital copies" included with some BDs do only play on Windows machines or even only on PSPs.

Samsung BD-P1500 here. So I'm watching Heroes Season 2 on Blu-ray and I rewind a couple of times to rewatch a scene. Jeebus, rewinding sucks. I'm not sure if it's just my Samsung that is molasses slow and jerky on rewinds or what. Sigh....I'm really tired of optical discs.

The hyperbole over 720p versus 1080p is a riot. In a well produced disc you'd be hard pressed to see the difference on a 40" + HDTV. So the whole

"I need Blu-ray for my Macbook Pro" (that cannot display 1080p on less than the 17") claims are a bit interesting.
  • Reply 89 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

HD isn't a prerequisite to having a successful media distribution service.

They offer higher bit rate 480 progressive option. For marketing terms its label HD, but its not officially an HD format.

On my mac is looks great, When I stream hulu to my 34" 1080p only New video looks pretty good .

Netflix streamed thru the roku box looks fantastic on my 1080p .

not a disc in sight anywhere.

• Reply 90 of 166
    Quote:

hmmm....

I think the old betamax crowd see's a final chance to live again here, Except apple already knows that the optical drives are dead just like matte screens and just like fire wire dead dead dead .

SO you can spend money on blu ray and in a few months or couple of years the whole industry will be phased out and replaced by USB 2 or USB 3 data drives . Your money is wasted .

I will never buy a disc again unless it's a transformer level movie.

So this whole blu-ray angst going on here is moot and silly . Blu-ray is already obsolete.

So if you choose to pick up your media by another method, everybody else will just imitate your moves? Not.

There is no media delivery war in the sense that there isn't going to be a clear-cut winner. Different strokes for different folks. You get your movies one way. I choose another route and somebody else yet another method. This isn't really a new development. For years I didn't buy so much as a single DVD, choosing instead a subscription service via cable. Did stores stop selling DVDs?
  • Reply 91 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Samsung BD-P1500 here. So I'm watching Heroes Season 2 on Blu-ray and I rewind a couple of times to rewatch a scene. Jeebus, rewinding sucks. I'm not sure if it's just my Samsung that is molasses slow and jerky on rewinds or what. Sigh....I'm really tired of optical discs.

The hyperbole over 720p versus 1080p is a riot. In a well produced disc you'd be hard pressed to see the difference on a 40" + HDTV. So the whole

"I need Blu-ray for my Macbook Pro" (that cannot display 1080p on less than the 17") claims are a bit interesting.

You will need 1080p down the road .

The very large tv's need 720 or 1080p or their picture would suffer greatly .

i bought a 32 " 1080p and have only twice in a year seen that the 1080p is on

720P does rock thou star wars looks fantastic

So would an hd movie DL be an overkill for a 15" MBP ?

• Reply 92 of 166
    100" Screen with projector hooked to macbook. I can obviosly tell the difference in in video quality between a DL file and a BD. BD has far better color saturation and zero pixelation. BD also has a much higher data rate. On that note, it is possible to download better HD movies than those on iTunes

I personally would never buy an optical disc period. So much clutter. Give me a holographic drive and I'm set.
  • Reply 93 of 166
    Quote:

I will never buy a disc again unless it's a transformer level movie.

You mean a brainless POS movie aimed at adolescent boys getting their first major shot of testosterone? That's somewhat telling...

As for this theoretical future that everyone keeps talking about with instant HD streaming, movies on SD cards and/or USB 2/3 drives, well, good luck with that. Feel free to sit around and wait for that. Blu-Ray is here and now and delivers quality and convenience that no other current media delivers. I'll be happy to support high-quality HD downloads or flash-based delivery if/when they arrive, but until then I'm going to enjoy Blu-Ray. Life's too short to sit around waiting.
  • Reply 94 of 166
    Its about looking at current and long term trends.

Since 2000 watching movies on DVD has been the most popular trend. Other forms of media distribution have had to compete with DVD to gain consumer attention. Cable companies are using HD broadcast and video on demand as additional service to entice consumer use. It is an effective strategy as cable subscriptions are at a high. The advantage for cable is that it allows people would rather watch anything they want, when they want, without waiting or leaving the house. Cable companies are looking into effective methods of streaming video content. To continue to extend its services and convenience, at some point cable will get into streaming to portable media devices.

Physical media will become of less usefulness and importance as the market moves in this direction.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

So if you choose to pick up your media by another method, everybody else will just imitate your moves? Not.

There is no media delivery war in the sense that there isn't going to be a clear-cut winner. Different strokes for different folks. You get your movies one way. I choose another route and somebody else yet another method. This isn't really a new development. For years I didn't buy so much as a single DVD, choosing instead a subscription service via cable. Did stores stop selling DVDs?

• Reply 95 of 166
    The point that's missed. No one is sitting around waiting for HD streaming. Most people don't need HD streaming. Far more people are watching upscaled DVD on HDTV's than those watching Blu-ray. What we have right now is good enough for most.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

As for this theoretical future that everyone keeps talking about with instant HD streaming, movies on SD cards and/or USB 2/3 drives, well, good luck with that. Feel free to sit around and wait for that. Blu-Ray is here and now and delivers quality and convenience that no other current media delivers. I'll be happy to support high-quality HD downloads or flash-based delivery if/when they arrive, but until then I'm going to enjoy Blu-Ray. Life's too short to sit around waiting.

• Reply 96 of 166
    Quote:

Well, I have the Pioneer LX 71, which is commonly considered to be one of the faster ones and even on that machine forward/rewind is almost unusable. It is really not fun at all. Another issue outside the US is of course that BD prices have not really adjusted here. Heroes Season 2 on BD is 70 EUR (100 USD) over here, the 720p version on iTunes is 29.99 and looks and sounds great (5.1).

Quote:

Absolutely. I have quite a few BDs that do not even look significantly better than upscaled widescreen DVDs, some look even grainier than the DVD. Fortunately I did not pay much for them, as I got 15 free BDs when buying the player.
  • Reply 97 of 166
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Well, we don't know that, but as BD is still creeping around 3% of the movie market in the US and even less globally (in most of Asia it will likely not even take off at all, as they work on an alternate cheaper format), there is little reason to believe that adding a BD drive would really help sales. Especially since the major part of Apple's computer business is laptops and the price of slim BD writers is still prohibitive. Raising the price by 300 - 400 USD just to cater for 3% of the audience would not really help right now.

Your numbers are about a year and a half out of date, Blu-Ray is around 10-15% unit sales in the US, depending on the week.

Quote:

Right after DVD overtook VHS and before Hulu.

I don't think Hulu and Blu-Ray markets are the same. Hulu isn't better than standard definition.
  • Reply 98 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Your numbers are about a year and a half out of date, Blu-Ray is around 10-15% unit sales in the US, depending on the week.

I do not know the actual numbers for 2009, but the 3% figure is not a year and a half old either. It is actually the official number reported for all of 2008 by the DEG (http://www.dvdinformation.com/News/p...009yearEnd.htm).
  • Reply 99 of 166
    jont-ukjont-uk Posts: 25member
    Quote:

The point that's missed. No one is sitting around waiting for HD streaming. Most people don't need HD streaming. Far more people are watching upscaled DVD on HDTV's than those watching Blu-ray. What we have right now is good enough for most.

And you've hit the nail on the head why blu-ray will take so long to gain decent penetration levels - Joe Public is very happy with upscaled SD dvd's and broadcasts and generally *can't* tell the difference ...

The analagies with tape/cd or video/dvd fall over in this respect as the new medium surpassed the old by a significant amount in either quality or ease of use or both ...

Upscaling quality is just too good for itself ;-)

Jon
  • Reply 100 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

You mean a brainless POS movie aimed at adolescent boys getting their first major shot of testosterone? That's somewhat telling...

hja ha

NO I MEANT High Quality type of blockbuster movie MAY be worth having in blu ray if a blu ray player was cheap enough . How many formats do we need ??

You don't have to wait . The usb/sd movie files are already here.

The question is my fine feathered friend is can we get raw blu ray files and how can we play them back . Already my dvd player at home is almost forgotten between hulu netflixs roku and playing raw file from my mac ./

Yes old beta max tapes are cute .