Blu-ray special features coming to App Store

Comments

• Reply 121 of 166
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

hmmm....

I think the old betamax crowd see's a final chance to live again here, Except apple already knows that the optical drives are dead just like matte screens and just like fire wire dead dead dead .

SO you can spend money on blu ray and in a few months or couple of years the whole industry will be phased out and replaced by USB 2 or USB 3 data drives . Your money is wasted .

I will never buy a disc again unless it's a transformer level movie.

My MOVIE GUY now gives me usb drives w/star trek on it.

I placed the file on my hard drive and MY MBP DVD player, QUICKTIME player > played the movie in perfect quality equal to an itunes HD movie down load or HULU hi-res mode.

A whole industry just died . We just can't see it yet . I wondered about the MBA for a long time. Now I get it . We will have in the near future little SD movie cards or little usb cards or multi movie or large ssd 128 g bricks.

So this whole blu-ray angst going on here is moot and silly . Blu-ray is already obsolete.

Your whole ill informed flame baiting troll post launched itself into mega comic status with your transformers comment. I'd rather remove my eye balls with a spoon that sully my Pioneer KURO with Michael Bay produced sewage, as would any fan of cinema.

As for BD, it's the highest quality format on the market by an EPIC amount, and I see no other formats around capable of challenging it. Where are these 50gb movie USB sticks you talk of? My local store doesn't sell them.

Downloading files that big might be an option for some (personally I have an uncapped 50mbit connection), but it certainly isn't for the vast majority of people.

BD is here to stay, like it or not. Personally I like it, long live BD. My KURO agrees.
  • Reply 122 of 166
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Well, I have the Pioneer LX 71, which is commonly considered to be one of the faster ones and even on that machine forward/rewind is almost unusable. It is really not fun at all. Another issue outside the US is of course that BD prices have not really adjusted here. Heroes Season 2 on BD is 70 EUR (100 USD) over here, the 720p version on iTunes is 29.99 and looks and sounds great (5.1).

You should start looking for cheaper places to shop, Heroes doesn't cost that much in Europe, in fact taking two seconds I found it for 47 EUR with free shipping. And it sounds great with the DTS HD Audio.

And I just looked on my Irish iTunes account, there are no TV Shows listed there, so that would make it a bit hard to get it there.

And the prices have dropped outside the US, you need to start looking.

Quote:

Absolutely. I have quite a few BDs that do not even look significantly better than upscaled widescreen DVDs, some look even grainier than the DVD. Fortunately I did not pay much for them, as I got 15 free BDs when buying the player.

The grain level is very different to the quality level.
  • Reply 123 of 166
    Quote:

HULU is HD .

i think

hi res at least

And of course HULU isn't available in most of the world
  • Reply 124 of 166
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I was using Hulu in a generic sense. For the average consumer free video streaming makes buying a $30 disc a less enticing proposition.

Or even using Netflix. $10 a month for unlimited streaming makes a $30 disc less enticing.

Depends on if your preferred title is new release or back catalog. Those two streaming services rarely offer new release movies. I think Netflix might have 15% of its titles for streaming.

Quote:

I'm talking about professional video cameras, not consumer. Most of Sony's professional cameras use HDCAM tapes or BR discs.

Panasonic's P2 system is very successful, its in fact the first Panasonic camera system that has been as successfully adopted across the industry as its been. I just recently worked with the AJ-HPX3000. A great camera.

I don't know much about the high end pro, but low end pro and consumer.

The P2 line is a good system, but the original module shape is already an obsolete standard and a major utility of choosing that module shape is now nullfied.

Quote:

If the blu ray Encoding is so good, fine tehn a little SQUARE storage card will do just as good as a disc.. NO BD player needed

Of course go ahead and buy and play blu ray and I hope apple accepts this format. I was just amazed that i got a star trek file from a storage card and dropped the file on my hard drive and THE DVD and QT players could play back the raw files . NO handbrake converting needed.

What this means is the overall price for movies will drop to about $7 or $9 dollars for a new movie and $3 to $5 for rentals. AND the bootleggers and their ilk will be out of business and the movie makers will still make a profit .

Don't assume that the price is going to go down like that just because the media is different. It's going to be a while when a "square card" is going to be comparable in price to a pressed BD. The price of manufacturing/replication is a very small portion of the retail price of a movie. In volume, DVDs cost less than $1 a piece to make & package, and I think BD is less than $2 a piece to press and pack.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Think of the attempts by the music industry to move to SuperAudio CDs (I think that's what they were called). They offered better sound quality than CDs, but they were quickly relegated to audiophiles only. For the general consumers, CDs were "good enough".

I'm not convinced that the extra resolution of SACD changed how good it sounds except for a minority within that market. Most of the audio issues with CD is the cooked dynamic range. As far as I understand, DVD-Audio and SACD don't use dynamic range compression (DRC). If they sold CDs without DRC, I bet that most SACD/DVD-A fans wouldn't notice the difference between that and their next generation audio disc. For everyone else, the cooked audio might sound better because it fits the music within the dynamic range limits of cheap audio gear.
  • Reply 125 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While it would be great for Snow Leopard to offer Blu-ray support we are nearing GM for SL and there is still no AACS to even support 3rd-party drives running over USB or FW. The only evidence of Blu-ray support we have yet to see is Gracenotes supporting it within iTunes, and I don?t think Apple has anything to do with that.

Plus the HDCP support they added a while ago
  • Reply 126 of 166
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Blu-ray has region codes. You won't necessarily be able to take a disc from one part of the world and use in a player from another part of the world.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

And of course HULU isn't available in most of the world

• Reply 127 of 166
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    [QUOTE=brucep;1451387]You don't have to wait . The usb/sd movie files are already here.[quote]

I guess the numerous movie sites I visit daily must have missed the birth of these USB/SD formats. I can only assume you're referring to illegally download content, whether by you yourself or by some guy on the street corner hocking copies of "Star Wors" and the latest "Harry Putter" film. I don't think that illegal downloads count as a format. I doubt the movie studios consider piracy a viable business model.

And regardless, those movies must look and sound like crap. A 16GB SD card is still $40 (legally purchased) and a 16GB is around $80. Either way, that's more expensive than a Blu-Ray movie even if you foolishly pay full retail for it.

Quote:

The question is my fine feathered friend is can we get raw blu ray files and how can we play them back . Already my dvd player at home is almost forgotten between hulu netflixs roku and playing raw file from my mac .

Three crap sources (Hulu, Netflix, Roku) if you want good picture and sound quality and one that generally goes back to illegal downloads (since you're clearly not buying Blu-Ray discs and ripping them yourself). Netflix is okay for a quick fix or a movie you really don't want to own (I watched Toy Soldiers, Daylight and Cliffhanger this past Friday via Netflix on my TiVo) but have a hankering to watch.

If your only argument is for illegal downloads, you don't have much of an argument at all.
  • Reply 128 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Depends on if your preferred title is new release or back catalog. Those two streaming services rarely offer new release movies. I think Netflix might have 15% of its titles for streaming.

Of course studios will position Blu-ray as it's earliest post-theater release. Because they bring in the most revenue. I don't beleive the majority of the consumer market want to see movies that badly to buy $30 discs. Especially when they can wait a few of months for $10 disc, or rental, or HBO.

Quote:

The P2 line is a good system, but the original module shape is already an obsolete standard and a major utility of choosing that module shape is now nullfied.

Yes outside of P2 it's an obsolete modeule. Panasonic provides everything needed to simply and easily use P2 in todays production environment.
  • Reply 129 of 166
    Quote:

Blu-ray has region codes. You won't necessarily be able to take a disc from one part of the world and use in a player from another part of the world.

Maybe, but region A is not just restricted to the USA, while HULU is. These streaming services are pretty restricted outside the US
  • Reply 130 of 166
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

You should start looking for cheaper places to shop, Heroes doesn't cost that much in Europe, in fact taking two seconds I found it for 47 EUR with free shipping. And it sounds great with the DTS HD Audio.

And I just looked on my Irish iTunes account, there are no TV Shows listed there, so that would make it a bit hard to get it there.

And the prices have dropped outside the US, you need to start looking.

Well, does not really help, as these "cheap" import versions do not have the German audio track (neither the UK, nor the US import) and some family members can't really watch the original version. The version with dubbing can't be found cheaper right now, and there is normally no DTS HD for the dubbed tracks anyhow.

Quote:

The grain level is very different to the quality level.

True. Just, the grain in a lot of BD movies is annoying me a lot more than slightly unsharp backgrounds in the 720p downloads or upscaled DVDs. But that is a matter of personal preferences I guess.
  • Reply 131 of 166
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Your whole ill informed flame baiting troll post launched itself into mega comic status with your transformers comment. I'd rather remove my eye balls with a spoon that sully my Pioneer KURO with Michael Bay produced sewage, as would any fan of cinema.

As for BD, it's the highest quality format on the market by an EPIC amount, and I see no other formats around capable of challenging it. Where are these 50gb movie USB sticks you talk of? My local store doesn't sell them.

Downloading files that big might be an option for some (personally I have an uncapped 50mbit connection), but it certainly isn't for the vast majority of people.

BD is here to stay, like it or not. Personally I like it, long live BD. My KURO agrees.

Who said DL files ?? A 5-10 g usb stick will do. And the mini players are not yet here but RIGHT NOW I can take a raw hd movie file and play it un converted back on my MBP/DVD /QT player in fabulous quality . RIGHT NOW your elephant dvd player has been pushed aside in histories' river of old obsolete toys.

BD may live but the discs it comes on are dead. You just don't know it yet . THE MBA was the opening salvo .

I just re watched transformers again and it rocks on my MBP 15"3,02GHZ. My point was not the movie but if your gonna collect an obsolete media then make sure its something that BD looks good with. Not some stuffy all talking round a wooden table four 3 hours about why < fill in blank > loves me kind of movie.

As for movies I have watched thousand upon thousands and I find brit snobs like you a bit silly. Which proves nothing ,to each his own ?

Your Pioneer KURO player soon will not be needed to play back blu-ray. The coming high quality movie players will be the size of a deck of cards. And insert a 10 g SD sized card with your movie selection on it. Maybe a JOHN Le CARRE flick.

If BD balks at this then HD WILL do it. OR sony who cares, So much money is on the table concerning media content that the fastest cheapest will be the one every-time . It is ALSO the only way to fight the pirates and still make money.

$40 dollar players

$7 dollar hd movie

As for usb drives heres a 128 g one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220406

I can hold 9 to 13 HD movies on it if not more.

Final point my limey friend is the technology is moving so fast and storage is dropping in price so quick that movie studio's can now sell there products at close to the same price as the bootleggers do and give the public very high quality experience . If the DVD player industry joins the beta max industry so be it . But tiny players <zune > are already here. And 36 months from now who knows.

You think that BD is special . It is only a restrictive coding made to force you to pay

High prices for the movies and the players.

As for your insults. Really now feel better ???

dude

• Reply 132 of 166
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Although fortunately most BDs are region free.
  • Reply 133 of 166
    Quote:

As for usb drives heres a 128 g one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220406

I can hold 9 to 13 HD movies on it if not more.

I don't see why you think switching to solid state storage is going to reduce movie prices by itself, it's based on bad information and bad assumptions.

You complain about the price of movies, but you link to a device that costs $33-44 a movie just to store the movie. I don't see how that helps your argument. A BD doesn't cost $20 to press and package, it's about $2 or less. The rest goes to other expenses and to recoup the movie production expense.
  • Reply 134 of 166
    [QUOTE=caliminius;1451511][QUOTE=brucep;1451387]You don't have to wait . The usb/sd movie files are already here.
    Quote:

I guess the numerous movie sites I visit daily must have missed the birth of these USB/SD formats. I can only assume you're referring to illegally download content, whether by you yourself or by some guy on the street corner hocking copies of "Star Wors" and the latest "Harry Putter" film. I don't think that illegal downloads count as a format. I doubt the movie studios consider piracy a viable business model.

And regardless, those movies must look and sound like crap. A 16GB SD card is still $40 (legally purchased) and a 16GB is around $80. Either way, that's more expensive than a Blu-Ray movie even if you foolishly pay full retail for it.

Three crap sources (Hulu, Netflix, Roku) if you want good picture and sound quality and one that generally goes back to illegal downloads (since you're clearly not buying Blu-Ray discs and ripping them yourself). Netflix is okay for a quick fix or a movie you really don't want to own (I watched Toy Soldiers, Daylight and Cliffhanger this past Friday via Netflix on my TiVo) but have a hankering to watch.

If your only argument is for illegal downloads, you don't have much of an argument at all.

NO NO NO

I own about 300 legal dvd's

and about 1200 cd's. A File on a usb drive was given to me containing a picture perfect illegal copy of star wars. I put it on my hard drive. Opened my DVD player and it played it un converted. GREAT quality I will buy the real extended copy when it comes out .

This is today and i agree with most of what you say >>>> but i saw the future, Net flix will only get better and netflix roku player give's you excellant quality on my 34"1080p .

aquos.

HULU HI-RES looks great on my MBP 15 .Maybe it looks bad on the tv i don't know .

BUT i do know that discs are dead and so are disc players. Digital media files need not be confined to exspensive players and discs .Soon THE PRICE FOR USB STICKS AND SD cards will drop like all the other kinds of storage have .

Maybe 3 yrs maybe 5 yrs But the landscape will be vastly changed. MBA showed me that.

The market demands that the pirates become nullified and cheap media will do that .

Or maybe i never awoke from my dream last night .
  • Reply 135 of 166
    Quote:

I don't see why you think switching to solid state storage is going to reduce movie prices by itself, it's based on bad information and bad assumptions.

You complain about the price of movies, but you link to a device that costs $33-44 a movie just to store the movie. I don't see how that helps your argument. A BD doesn't cost $20 to press and package, it's about $2 or less. The rest goes to other expenses and to recoup the movie production expense.

Dear jeff i am not complaining about movie prices . 3.99 itunes rental is fine for me . $25 dollat blockbuster extended versions are fine for me . I was talking about the future . And the guy asked about where is the usb storage and i linked him . Its $300 now jeff How cheap will it be in 3 yrs ?? And Movie studio's lose billions to the pirates so if they could offer a $7 dollar HD movie combined with a cheap digital player that would kill the shitty quality of most bootlegged movies . The disc will be dead soon, Much better stuff is coming

Look who really knows anything ?? I am just predicting stuff by the market trends as i see them .

It is a way to kill the pirates off for ever. And i hope we can re visit this next year and i will bump this topic back up .

peace

• Reply 136 of 166
    Quote:

Dear jeff i am not complaining about movie prices . 3.99 itunes rental is fine for me . $25 dollat blockbuster extended versions are fine for me . I was talking about the future . And the guy asked about where is the usb storage and i linked him . Its $300 now jeff How cheap will it be in 3 yrs ?? And Movie studio's lose billions to the pirates so if they could offer a $7 dollar HD movie combined with a cheap digital player that would kill the shitty quality of most bootlegged movies . The disc will be dead soon, Much better stuff is coming

Look who really knows anything ?? I am just predicting stuff by the market trends as i see them .

It is a way to kill the pirates off for ever. And i hope we can re visit this next year and i will bump this topic back up .

OK. You may well be right, but it sounded like you were suggesting that the cheap media meant that movies would automatically be priced lower. In a way, movies are already cheaper, there are a glut of movies at $10 a DVD. Just not HD yet, though some BD hollywood movies can be found on sale at $10 at Sam's Club and Walmart. If you don't have to buy the new releases, you can usually find a decent movie pretty cheap.
  • Reply 137 of 166
    Quote:

Well, does not really help, as these "cheap" import versions do not have the German audio track (neither the UK, nor the US import) and some family members can't really watch the original version. The version with dubbing can't be found cheaper right now, and there is normally no DTS HD for the dubbed tracks anyhow.

You have me there...

Quote:

True. Just, the grain in a lot of BD movies is annoying me a lot more than slightly unsharp backgrounds in the 720p downloads or upscaled DVDs. But that is a matter of personal preferences I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_grain

Maybe those 720p downloads contain a little too much DNR on them?
  • Reply 138 of 166
    Quote:

OK. You may well be right, but it sounded like you were suggesting that the cheap media meant that movies would automatically be priced lower. In a way, movies are already cheaper, there are a glut of movies at $10 a DVD. Just not HD yet, though some BD hollywood movies can be found on sale at $10 at Sam's Club and Walmart. If you don't have to buy the new releases, you can usually find a decent movie pretty cheap.

SO jeff you can see the trending. Why buy $5 bad bootleg when you can buy a 10 dollar top version. TIME AND NEW TECH advances will make movies cheaper and movie studio's will sell many more copies to for a pure profit level. The cheap media will force a showdown between the public and the retailers. I have a feeling itunes is about to get very large in the coming quarters.
  • Reply 139 of 166
    The $5 bootleg doesn't compete directly with the DVD. People by the bootleg when the movie is in the theater.

Quote:

SO jeff you can see the trending. Why buy $5 bad bootleg when you can buy a 10 dollar top version.

• Reply 140 of 166
    Quote:

The $5 bootleg doesn't compete directly with the DVD. People by the bootleg when the movie is in the theater.

Not really there are guys who make nice covers and bring Lets say A triple steve mcqueen disc

with 3 movies with steve in them

or maybe a season of nevada smith with steve mcqueen

3 disc for 10 bucks > old movie quality is very good .

new movie quality is iffy at best unless its a screener.

Everyone would rather buy a nice real dvd from the true source. Look if hulu can show thousands of old movies for free <<advertising > and netflix has a instant play movie feature thru its roku box or instant play thru your .mac/p,c FOR FREE ...ADD the thousands of TV shows also available <<<Dead like me was a great show >

i THINK the movie studios can sell and rent much cheaper and they would get millions and millons of DL every week

They are greedy in one area and free in another ? go figure .