Comments

• Reply 21 of 129
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,502member
    Microsoft... Superior Web-browser?!!!!

• Reply 22 of 129
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetset View Post

WinMo is broken and needs to be scrapped, rewritten and overhauled. I've never EVER had a WinMo device that was decent as iPhone. I don't think iPhon devs want to touch WinMo..because it's not fun. It's stodgey, dusty and the people who use it does not choose it..it's usually given to them like my Treo Pro... The phone is nice, the OS is hot garbage.

Actually a lot of people CHOOSE to use a windows mobile phone on their own accord. They like being able to CHOOSE things on their own, where as with the iphone, Apple CHOOSES which apps are too naughty for your wittle eyes.

The iphone is nice, but there are countless people that will attest their love for windows mobile who have COME FROM the iphone.

This discussion will head into a windows mobile vs iphone direction, I can feel it.
  • Reply 23 of 129
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetset View Post

WinMo is broken and needs to be scrapped, rewritten and overhauled. I've never EVER had a WinMo device that was decent as iPhone. I don't think iPhon devs want to touch WinMo..because it's not fun. It's stodgey, dusty and the people who use it does not choose it..it's usually given to them like my Treo Pro... The phone is nice, the OS is hot garbage.

Microsoft doesn't know the meaning of "scrapped, rewritten and ovrhauled." A lot of their products could use that sort of treatment, particularly Windows, but there's not even a shred of originality in Redmond, so you won't find anything compelling, innovative, or even radical, with respects to to departing from the norm or rolling out something that inspires the rest of the industry to follow suit.

When, as a CEO (Ballmer) you spend half your time defending yourself and your operation against questions about why you're being upstaged, year after year, by a much smaller, nimbler, more focused competitor with half your resources, half your manpower, and half your global reach, something is horribly, horribly wrong.

And now MS is actively, openly, attempting to leech off the Apple developer community by capitlizing on the success of the iPhone because in all this time, for years now, they have been unable to come up with a platform (with all their manpower and resources) that can equal what Apple has rolled out almost overnight, in terms of elegance, robustness, and desirability.

MS has lost its edge. It has the resources to do great things, but isn't doing them. It's all inertia and the hope that ignorant users will continue to use thier products.
  • Reply 24 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

+1000

I think even the most technically ignorant would find comedy in this.
  • Reply 25 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

still looks clunky, but if it supports flash then that'll be cool

http://intruders.tv/inqtv/2009/07/31...s-walkthrough/ 6 minutes in shows the browser but doesn't show flash or anything. at 9 minutes in he shows flash
  • Reply 26 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

still looks clunky, but if it supports flash then that'll be cool

http://intruders.tv/inqtv/2009/07/31...s-walkthrough/ 6 minutes in shows the browser but doesn't show flash or anything.

At 6:35 he basically explains why it's shit and why it will probably stay like that. Exactly the problem I mentioned in my earlier post.
  • Reply 27 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It runs on countless devices, which amounts to a staggered, variable user experience, completely out of Microsoft's control. There are other issues, such as MS not knowing how to design UIs, but that's a different matter.

I think that is definitely true. Every WinCE/Windows Mobile device I ever had came with a lot of manufacturer specific utilities, some better than others. A lot of the hardware itself, though, seems to be about the same across many devices.

I actually liked the first generation UI that Windows CE had in versions 2.x and earlier. Then they had to ruin everything with the UI that debuted in 3.0 and is still there today.

- - - -

What ultimately drove me away from Windows Mobile was the awful upgrade policy from Microsoft. Microsoft left it to the OEMs as to whether or not devices could ever be upgraded to a new version of the OS. This isn't a sensible move when the majority of the devices can be easily updated because they have flashable ROMs. In some cases--as with my HP Jornada 680--that wasn't a problem. The device worked then and it continues to work now. A Toshiba E740 on the other hand--that was a disastrously bad device. It shipped with a version of Windows Mobile that was barely able to run on its new XScale CPU and Toshiba basically said "oh well buy a new device we are not going to release a new, working OS for this one". (Some few people who complained got a new device given to them, but still...)

I've been very impressed with the way that Apple has continued to update their mobile operating system for all of the iPhone/iPod Touch devices.

I did think Windows Mobile was pretty cool when it first appeared. As I used it, though, I began to realize how so much about it could have been done better.
  • Reply 28 of 129
    Quote:

+1000

I think even the most technically ignorant would find comedy in this.

you like to throw that word around a lot don't you? ignorant...
  • Reply 29 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UnexpectedBill View Post

I've been very impressed with the way that Apple has continued to update their mobile operating system for all of the iPhone/iPod Touch devices.

I did think Windows Mobile was pretty cool when it first appeared. As I used it, though, I began to realize how so much about it could have been done better.

If I was allowed to do what I wanted on an iphone like I can on a windows mobile phone, I'd have an iphone. Navigating through my phone can feel clunky at times, but it always does what I want it to do. I'm never told I can't run something because Microsoft says it's not ok.
  • Reply 30 of 129
    Quote:

Microsoft doesn't know the meaning of "scrapped, rewritten and ovrhauled." A lot of their products could use that sort of treatment, particularly Windows, but there's not even a shred of originality in Redmond, so you won't find anything compelling, innovative, or even radical, with respects to to departing from the norm or rolling out something that inspires the rest of the industry to follow suit.

When, as a CEO (Ballmer) you spend half your time defending yourself and your operation against questions about why you're being upstaged, year after year, by a much smaller, nimbler, more focused competitor with half your resources, half your manpower, and half your global reach, something is horribly, horribly wrong.

And now MS is actively, openly, attempting to leech off the Apple developer community by capitlizing on the success of the iPhone because in all this time, for years now, they have been unable to come up with a platform (with all their manpower and resources) that can equal what Apple has rolled out almost overnight, in terms of elegance, robustness, and desirability.

MS has lost its edge. It has the resources to do great things, but isn't doing them. It's all inertia and the hope that ignorant users will continue to use thier products.

I feel the same way, micro$oft is plain pathetic

you would think that after windows 3.0 they had time to write a new operating system from scratch that doesn't crash, with a new GUI, but they cannot do that...they put their money on sales apparently and not so much on r&d

windows is still a hot-mess gui sitting on top of a tired and sad DOS

how much does it cost to hire someone to redesign a new gui? why can't they do that? instead of ripping off apple

they are idiots with too much money, like this ape ballmer

and by the way windows mobile is terrible. i doubt anyone from iphone like i'm reading here is going to windows mobile unless they don't have a choice. it's almost as pathetic as the desktop windows "experience". it's slow, it crashes...
  • Reply 31 of 129
    I'll say straight up that I'm an Apple guy now and am over my Windows days. Having said this, I'm scared about Microsoft's future relevance.

Windows Mobile 6.5? It still isn't out? Bloody hell. They've been so busy tidying up Vista, polishing it into Windows 7, making the dock err taskbar work nicely, that they've MISSED THE POINT: the desktop is DEAD. Been predicted for 15 years, but mobile computing is the future call it phones netbooks cloud whatever, but the big desktop OS is on the way out, look at where we are compared to just 10 years ago.

My point is that Microsoft is fighting an irrelevant battle with Windows 7, it's good enough. Release it FREE to Vista owners as a gesture of goodfaith, give coupons make people love em, etc. Corporate sales will sustain MS regardless, but make the consumers happy. Do monthly windows ultimate extras updates video wallpapers ANYTHING just don't waste time coding on this.

Microsoft must fix / replace Windows Mobile, or they're screwed. They're living in a dream world if they can't see this, hopefully they have a secret area where they're rapidly implementing an ARM based WinMO with Windows GUI but a fresh start, but I doubt it.

What is Redmond up to? Do they think they can't fail?

Anyway, enough rant from me.

Port to Windows? Why should they announce this? Any coders worth their variables will know that some code is easy port, some hard or impossible and will have to be written from scratch, won't support all devices, no gaming performance etc. So why advertise it? You might get a few more programmers, but that's it. A lot of iPhone devs have left WinMO to write for the AppStore. Microsoft is rolling in cash, make your MSTORE, and give $50000USD to the developers of the 10 most popular Apps in 6 months time. Make TV spots, put TV tuners in all Windows Mobile phones in hardware, do things Apple wouldn't. Don't just accept you're inferior, Microsoft... At least try to win this!!

Browse more websites? Huh?

Sure there is flash to power your advertisments on Windows Mobile, but all I know is that with intergrated graphics, IE8 under windows 7 scrolls up and down jumpily and jerkily for me. Safari 4 under windows 7 on the same machine is silky and instant. If IE is slower to render and scroll on Windows 7 than Safari, then Microsoft has no tallent left to make a good mobile browser.
  • Reply 32 of 129
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Lately it seems more and more as if the spokesperson for Microsoft (Balmer, Bach or whomever) sounds like a used car salesman.

Peachy condition, only driven on Sundays - we will even put some new rubber on it, if you buy it today.

DAMN, maybe that's it! They just need to put a rubber on all their products so nothing else gets contaminated! (crap, I even forgot about Balmer's squirts)

What's it gonna take for me to earn your business?
  • Reply 33 of 129
    Quote:

At 6:35 he basically explains why it's shit and why it will probably stay like that. Exactly the problem I mentioned in my earlier post.

Right. Well, people with that browser will be playing flash games and watching hulu while Apple will be telling adobe to piss off. It's gonna be THE shit.
  • Reply 34 of 129
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft said porting programs from the iPhone's Objective-C to C# is relatively painless, because both are Java-like languages.

Well, due to lack of experience with it, I won't comment on how "Java-like" C# is, but I do think it would be more correct to say that Java is Objective-C-like:

http://www.cs.gmu.edu/~sean/stuff/java-objc.html
  • Reply 35 of 129
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    Microsoft is pathetic.
  • Reply 36 of 129
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Microsoft is pathetic.

Those bastahds!
  • Reply 37 of 129
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Right. Well, people with that browser will be playing flash games ....

People keep saying this over and over about Flash games but it's pure BS if you look at the stats.

In the first place, Flash games are on the way out in that their audience consists primarily of "stay at home" oldies playing video poker or some BoxerJam junk. They are the 2000's equivalent of the old geezer playing solitaire on his Windows 95 computer in the 1990's. This kind of crap is also being quickly replaced by mobile devices that do the same thing.

Secondly, the "casual gaming" platform is moving to the TV and to the mobile. In a few years if there are people who don't have some kind of smartphone in their pocket that can play more and better games than any flash crap they can find on the web today, they will be a distinct minority. if there is a living room that doesn't have some kind of PS3/AppleTV/Wii hooked up to it they also will be in a minority. TV's themselves are already network enabled and will probably play the same kind of games you can get on the iPhone today all by themselves.

Flash games are a joke, and are basically doomed. They are pretty much the very first victim of the emerging new platform.
  • Reply 38 of 129
    dev012dev012 Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

There's only one thing worse than using a PoS OS like Windows. That's using a PoS OS with a small market share like Windows Mobile.

You do realize that WinMo has a much larger market share than the iPhone OS right? The iPhone OS is growing at a faster rate and it dominates the web traffic category, but WinMo is still crushing it in overall market share.

I'm not a M$ fanboy and I have an iPhone 3GS, but ignoring the true market share numbers is just stupid.
  • Reply 39 of 129
    richyfprichyfp Posts: 19member
    Choice quote from the MSDN article:

Quote:

Windows Mobile, C#, and especially the .NET framework are all known for being slow.

• Reply 40 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

People keep saying this over and over about Flash games but it's pure BS if you look at the stats.

In the first place, Flash games are on the way out in that their audience consists primarily of "stay at home" oldies playing video poker or some BoxerJam junk. They are the 2000's equivalent of the old geezer playing solitaire on his Windows 95 computer in the 1990's. This kind of crap is also being quickly replaced by mobile devices that do the same thing.

Secondly, the "casual gaming" platform is moving to the TV and to the mobile. In a few years if there are people who don't have some kind of smartphone in their pocket that can play more and better games than any flash crap they can find on the web today, they will be a distinct minority. if there is a living room that doesn't have some kind of PS3/AppleTV/Wii hooked up to it they also will be in a minority. TV's themselves are already network enabled and will probably play the same kind of games you can get on the iPhone today all by themselves.

Flash games are a joke, and are basically doomed. They are pretty much the very first victim of the emerging new platform.

No way man. There's always gonna be dorky websites that offer quick flash games. Like ren and stimpy's fart cannon or something. You're in denial. What about hulu? Are you gonna tell me now that it's on it's way out?

A browser without flash support is just dumb. There's so much flash content. And you know if Apple would just work with Adobe, it would run GREAT on the iphone.

I guess it makes sense for me to say that the reason I don't own an iphone is because of Apple. Kind of ironic.