AT&T notifies iPhone users of impending MMS launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Wireless carrier AT&T began sending out text messages this week letting iPhone users know that multimedia messaging capabilities will be available on Friday, Sept. 25.

The free message sent from AT&T to subscribers reaffirms the Friday launch date announced weeks ago for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. Original iPhone users will not be able to use MMS functionality.

"AT&T Free Msg: Picture & video messaging (MMS) will be available for iPhone on 9/25," the message reads. "While we prepare your account for MMS capability, the current "view my message" experience will be turned off but your ability to send and receive text messages will not be affected."

Some users have reported that AT&T has already enabled MMS functionality on their iPhone. With iPhone OS 3.0, Apple added the ability to allow users to send pictures, video and audio recordings, but the new feature requires operator support. Users will also be able to send contacts or locations from the Maps application.

AT&T has been working for months to prepare their systems and network for MMS capabilities on the iPhone, which is expected to bring a great deal of additional bandwidth the the wireless provider's network. While the feature was originally promised late in the summer, its Sept. 25 launch date will miss the already-passed season by a few days.

Tethering with the iPhone was also supposed to be offered, however AT&T officials have said that the functionality is expected at a later date. The nation's second-largest wireless carrier, however, has said it has no plans to cap bandwidth use for iPhone users, even when tethering is offered.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 106
    OK- EVERYBody remember. MMS all day 9/25/09 with a pic of the iPhone stating "AT&T SUCKS!" and crash the network!
  • Reply 2 of 106
    Can't wait to finally be out of the cave.
  • Reply 3 of 106
    I'm curious what's going to happen to the Messages app on 9/25. Will there suddenly appear some new widget that lets me click on it to insert a picture, video or whatever? Right now I have a To: field and a text field for the SMS text.

Messages settings doesn't show anything other than 'Show Preview' and 'Repeat Alert'.

So what's going to change on 9/25 that will all of a sudden let me send MMS?
  • Reply 4 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

OK- EVERYBody remember. MMS all day 9/25/09 with a pic of the iPhone stating "AT&T SUCKS!" and crash the network!

Real smart.
  • Reply 5 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I'm curious what's going to happen to the Messages app on 9/25. Will there suddenly appear some new widget that lets me click on it to insert a picture, video or whatever? Right now I have a To: field and a text field for the SMS text.

Messages settings doesn't show anything other than 'Show Preview' and 'Repeat Alert'.

So what's going to change on 9/25 that will all of a sudden let me send MMS?

there is an easter egg in 3.1 that will activate
  • Reply 6 of 106
    3 steps forward, 2 steps back! This is so exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing how Apple does this one better.
  • Reply 7 of 106
    I don't plan to leave AT&T, because they are the exclusive iPhone carrier in the US, and their customer/online services are quite helpful and convenient. However, they have lost my trust. I initially trusted their business savvy and judgement when they secured the iPhone exclusivity because I figured any company that could win over Apple must be doing something right. But the way they've struggled to keep up with the iPhone phenomenon is making me realize they were likely chosen more because they were the only carrier willing to relinquish enough control over to Apple. And that it had nothing to do with actual performance.
  • Reply 8 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Real smart.

Well it wasn't very smart of them to promise something they couldn't deliver on.
  • Reply 9 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

3 steps forward, 2 steps back! This is so exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing how Apple does this one better.

AT&T's tardy release of MMS support has nothing to do with Apple. 29 international carriers had MMS working when the iPhone 3.0 software was released in June.

Apple arguably should have included MMS support in the original phone, but hey, they were newbies to the whole cellphone industry at the time and perhaps they underestimated public demand for the feature. It's hard to get everything right the first time around, especially for a complex device such as the iPhone.
  • Reply 10 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

I don't plan to leave AT&T, because they are the exclusive iPhone carrier in the US, and their customer/online services are quite helpful and convenient. However, they have lost my trust. I initially trusted their business savvy and judgement when they secured the iPhone exclusivity because I figured any company that could win over Apple must be doing something right. But the way they've struggled to keep up with the iPhone phenomenon is making me realize they were likely chosen more because they were the only carrier willing to relinquish enough control over to Apple. And that it had nothing to do with actual performance.

Hello? You just deduced that? They have been consistently rated at the bottom or near bottom for years on both performance and customer service. But regardless -what does it have to do with trust?
  • Reply 11 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

I don't plan to leave AT&T ... I initially trusted their business savvy and judgement when they secured the iPhone exclusivity ...

Are you forgetting the iPhone was to partner with Cingular? Soon before the launch of the iPhone, AT&T bought out the rollover-minutes king of the cell towers. If you recall, Cingular had the hip attitude that seemed to play well with Apple. After the buyout Jobs, decided to stick with the rebranded company.
  • Reply 12 of 106
    So... they're going to break MMS before they fix MMS?

How about you start sending my phone actual MMS messages before you turn off the existing work-around?

I prefer email personally -- but people still insist on sending me MMS messages and I'm not wild about them just spinning off into the void for a few days.
  • Reply 13 of 106
    Well, I'm still happy with my First Generation iPhone, which won't have this ability >apathetic shrug<.

Anyhow, the thing I think is funny is the screenshot shows that AT&T only has 3 bars!!! LOL.
  • Reply 13 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

So... they're going to break MMS before they fix MMS?

How about you start sending my phone actual MMS messages before you turn off the existing work-around?

I prefer email personally -- but people still insist on sending me MMS messages and I'm not wild about them just spinning off into the void for a few days.

Has 'View My Message' actually ever worked for you? I do not remember EVER going to View My Message and not getting some kind of error message.
  • Reply 15 of 106
    I remember when the original iPhone OS came out and Apple didn't manage to implement something simple like Cut, Copy & Paste, the concensus on this board was that this was OK - Apple were working on more important things.

Then they didn't get a camera into the new iPod touch, but that was OK, Apple were right to delay something that wasn't going to be right.

Then AT&T don't have the infrastructure ready to allow MMS at the same time as everyone else, and they are morons.

Funny that!
  • Reply 16 of 106
    I'm on a family plan, with unlimited messaging, out in San Francisco, running iPhone 3GS with OS 3.1

Did people on the West Coast get this message yet?
  • Reply 17 of 106
    This message letting us know this is going to happen is going to be sent when??? Still waiting on my text message from AT&T if it's legit that is...
  • Reply 18 of 106
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I remember when the original iPhone OS came out and Apple didn't manage to implement something simple like Cut, Copy & Paste, the concensus on this board was that this was OK - Apple were working on more important things.

Then they didn't get a camera into the new iPod touch, but that was OK, Apple were right to delay something that wasn't going to be right.

Then AT&T don't have the infrastructure ready to allow MMS at the same time as everyone else, and they are morons.

Funny that!

• Reply 19 of 106
    If you used a desktop computer instead of the iPhone to 'view my message', then it wasn't too bad, but having to write down the user/pass (or go back and forth with copy/paste) made it completely unusable to me and I would usually just forget about the message.

In answer to the eternal question as to why Apple chose AT&T, I think it is simple. They are the largest GSM carrier in the US and the iPhone needed to be GSM because it is international. Also, they aren't that bad in areas such as mine and probably weren't that bad anywhere before the iPhone started using their bandwidth.
  • Reply 20 of 106
    I'm in New York (Long Island to be precise) and I haven't gotten any messages about MMS... I really don't think I'll use it more than once every couple of months. I can count the MMS's I've received on my older phones up until my 3GS on one hand, and I've never sent one. Honestly it's not a feature that I've really even noticed missing...

I know a lot of people use it, but for me, couldn't really care less about it.