Apple releases iPhone OS 3.1.2 with glitch, crash fixes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

I just installed this update on my 3GS and after the update, iTunes notified me that new carrier settings were available as well. When MMS came out about a week ago, my carrier settings were updated to AT&T v5.5, but today it is now at AT&T v5.6. Anyone know what the difference is?

I understand AT&T has/is rolling out HSPA+ 7.2Mbps in certain areas of the country now. Is the new carrier file supposed to activate HSPA+ when available? Anyone?

That's a good question, but I haven't noticed a speed increase at all.

These are my usual download speeds:

• Reply 22 of 158
    Good. I have been noticing the not waking from sleep, and having to reset my phone to get connection quite frequently this past week. I was about ready to take my phone into the Apple Store. Hopefully this will resolve my issues.
  • Reply 23 of 158
    resolves sporadic issue that may cause iPhone to not wake from sleep

That one is probably the issue, i has since my phone was ok and then couple of weeks back, it started to not turn on or would turn and then work fine for sometime and then go dead, thats what I thought anyway.

Took it to Vodafone service center in Mumbai and initially, the tech said it was my charging lead, so I bought a new one. Then it happened 2 days later and I took it in again. He tried to tell me, it was the same issue, so I went to the manager and he put my phone in for service. Anyway 5 days later, Apple via Vodafone send me a new phone.
  • Reply 24 of 158
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Anyone know if they fixed that missing-carrier glitch?
  • Reply 25 of 158
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Where's the WiFi fix?
  • Reply 26 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Give me multi- tasking Apple and not next June .

Don't expect that until 4.0. In the meantime get a Pre. I'll stick with one app at a time, but much richer apps.

Personally I've only ever wanted one type of multi-tasking: The ability to play a radio app in the background. That's all.
  • Reply 27 of 158
    Quote:

Give me multi- tasking Apple and not next June .

No, that's for Window Mobile, Android, Pre and other smart phones that you always have to restart, random errors, crashing OS's. Wait... That's what this update is for.

Go Figure. I thought Apple Products Just Worked?

Hoping it Fixes 3G WiFi problems. WiFi has sucked since 3.0 and I continually have to re-enter my WiFi Password and then it drops from WiFi again. Apple told me to reset my Network settings & it didn't help at all.

I wonder how people with limited bandwidth carrier contracts feel about downloading a 200mb file every month for another version of the iPhone software that just breaks more things than it fixes.
  • Reply 28 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

But will it run Crysis?

I am thinking of jailbreaking my iTouch, so gonna have to pass up on this one untill dev team comes out with its own version. Don't really have any of the described issues anyways, so not much of a deal for me.

I'd recommend a jailbreak, if even just for SBSettings. I'm not much a theme guy though, I like the Apple theme.
  • Reply 29 of 158
    A nice update would be, when listening to music or watching video and I touch the screen to bring up the volume and drag-to-seek thing on top... then touch the screen again to make it go away - it does not always go away. The tools stay there and the only way I can get them off is to either keep rotating the phone until it leaves or hit the Home button to escape.

Does anyone else have this problem? \
  • Reply 30 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

Hoping it Fixes from 3G WiFi problems. WiFi has sucked since 3.0 and I continually have to re-enter my WiFi Password and then it drops from WiFi again. Apple told me to reset my Network settings & it didn't help at all.

At least you have WiFi, AT ALLL. On my 3G I have zero Wifi, and no data contract

I've been stuck on my old spare 2G for the last few weeks. It could be worse though, I could have no iPhone. Still, they need to address the WiFi issues. They have been widespread for nearly two month now. Even my 2G drops WiFi now and then
  • Reply 31 of 158
    jroyjroy Posts: 29member
    A couple days after updating to 3.1.1, I noticed that the iPhone wasn't getting a signal anywhere. Shut off and restarted and that problem was solved, assumed that for some weird reason the 3.1.1 update required two restarts to work right. Missed few calls since then even when the phone was on, that may have been the wake up problem. Hope this fix works.

All of these software problems that pop up remind me how massively complex the hardware and software in devices like the iPhone must be. There is a tension between the need to thoroughly test the large increases in software functionality that Apple regularly adds to the iPhone and the desire to get the new functionality out frequently. The iPhone OS project must be a pressure cooker for everyone involved. Results, despite flaws, have been beyond my expectations.
  • Reply 32 of 158
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

No, that's for Window Mobile, Android, Pre and other smart phones that you always have to restart, random errors, crashing OS's. Wait... That's what this update is for.

Go Figure. I thought Apple Products Just Worked?

Hoping it Fixes 3G WiFi problems. WiFi has sucked since 3.0 and I continually have to re-enter my WiFi Password and then it drops from WiFi again. Apple told me to reset my Network settings & it didn't help at all.

I wonder how people with limited bandwidth carrier contracts feel about downloading a 200mb file every month for another version of the iPhone software that just breaks more things than it fixes.

I thought it was just my router's fault. I am constantly on and offing it 3-4 times a week now.
  • Reply 33 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Don't expect that until 4.0. In the meantime get a Pre. I'll stick with one app at a time, but much richer apps.

Personally I've only ever wanted one type of multi-tasking: The ability to play a radio app in the background. That's all.

My big issue with no multitasking is when I receive a text that needs answered immediately, I have to close the app I was in, wait for the messaging app to come back up, exit, launch the original app, and try to get back to where I was (if possible). On nearly any other platform it wouldn't be a big deal. So I'm hoping adds the ability in either the next major software update, or with new hardware. Because if Apple doesn't, I will be sadly in the market for a phone from a different company (can't say I would miss ATT much though).
  • Reply 34 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I hope this addresses a strange problem I've been having where the album art (not coverflow) randomly assigns album art to various videos, tv shows and podcasts.

My old iPod touch used to do similar, would put cover art on the wrong songs. When I re-synced everything (wipe clean then reload) it fixed the problem. Maybe you can try that. I think it happened when I would interrupt the sync process by stopping the sync, think that screwed up the album art.
  • Reply 35 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Where's the WiFi fix?

And I'm crazy? Simmer down now!
  • Reply 36 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sgt Zeppelin View Post

My big issue with no multitasking is when I receive a text that needs answered immediately, I have to close the app I was in, wait for the messaging app to come back up, exit, launch the original app, and try to get back to where I was (if possible). On nearly any other platform it wouldn't be a big deal. So I'm hoping adds the ability in either the next major software update, or with new hardware. Because if Apple doesn't, I will be sadly in the market for a phone from a different company (can't say I would miss ATT much though).

Hello? That's what I feel- exactly!

You should be able to back swipe and go right back to previous app.
  • Reply 37 of 158
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:

I thought it was just my router's fault. I am constantly on and offing it 3-4 times a week now.

I think it still may be. My friend's linksys wifi router hates my iPhone, while at home it works great. Might be a WPA issue on either end.
  • Reply 38 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sgt Zeppelin View Post

That's a good point. I don't get many text though, so it doesn't affect me like you. It is very important they add this though. Like a "quick reply" option for texts.
  • Reply 39 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

I think it still may be.

It is not the router. It is not the router. It is not the router. It is not the router.

It's not the router that hates the iPhone, it's the iPhone that hates the router, even Apple ones. It's a bug in the bloomin' OS!
  • Reply 40 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

I think it still may be. My friend's linksys wifi router hates my iPhone, while at home it works great. Might be a WPA issue on either end.

I have an Apple Airport express.

I thought everyting is supposed to just work in it's own ecosystem.