Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Latest speed test looked great.

With WiFi on. How about without?
  • Reply 64 of 158
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

I wonder how people with limited bandwidth carrier contracts feel about downloading a 200mb file every month for another version of the iPhone software that just breaks more things than it fixes.

Glass is always half empty, eh?

you can always go back to "traditional" smartphones that require you to buy a new phone to get the newest OS. We won't miss you. Really...
  • Reply 65 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sgt Zeppelin View Post

My big issue with no multitasking is when I receive a text that needs answered immediately, I have to close the app I was in, wait for the messaging app to come back up, exit, launch the original app, and try to get back to where I was (if possible). On nearly any other platform it wouldn't be a big deal. So I'm hoping adds the ability in either the next major software update, or with new hardware. Because if Apple doesn't, I will be sadly in the market for a phone from a different company (can't say I would miss ATT much though).

Just jailbreak and get BiteSMS or QuickReply or something like that. You can send or reply from any app.
  • Reply 66 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

With WiFi on. How about without?

Post #22.
  • Reply 67 of 158
    azjayazjay Posts: 40member
    Quote:

It's not a router problem, you sound like a fricking Apple tech support person I was talking to.

I have wifi addresses in for 4 separate locations. All friends houses (work won't allow iPhone on the network).

I have the problem at every house and all of us have different routers. I'm the only one with an N Router. D-Link Dir655 with the latest firmware update.

It's a iPhone OS problem. Just do a search for "wifi problems with iphone 3.0".

It's not an isolated issue and not router related.

Edit. WiFi was fine before 3.0 at all locations.

I agree with you, it is NOT the router. I have had an open ticket with Apple regarding this issue since June. All Apple say's is "it could be a environmental issue". After stating that the issue happens in ANY wifi network I've attempted to use, their tone changes (Happens in AT&T Hotspots, Starbucks, Using a Linksys Router, Using a Time Capsule, Using Apple's own WiFi in store). I have taken my phone in for "testing" a total of 3 times, received 2 exchanged devices, and have been offered a Brand New/not refurbished device with 4 years warranty and 90 days phone support. I'm supposed to take in my phone yet again Monday for "more testing". I haven't accepted the new phone/4yr warranty offer yet, I just want my WiFi to work already.
  • Reply 68 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Glass is always half empty, eh?

you can always go back to "traditional" smartphones that require you to buy a new phone to get the newest OS. We won't miss you. Really...

I guess it's been a while since you looked at Smart Phones and what they are capable of.

Android and Palm Pre push their updates out FOR FREE OVER THE AIR!

You don't have to hook up to a computer and download a 2-300mb file every time Apple puts out an update.

Get out of your little Apple box and do some research before jumping my ass.
  • Reply 69 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Latest speed test looked great.

I think if I had that kind of reading, I'd pee my pants lol. The fastest available in my area is 1.5Mbps DSL Service.
  • Reply 70 of 158
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azjay View Post

I agree with you, it is NOT the router. I have had an open ticket with Apple regarding this issue since June. All Apple say's is "it could be a environmental issue". After stating that the issue happens in ANY wifi network I've attempted to use, their tone changes (Happens in AT&T Hotspots, Starbucks, Using a Linksys Router, Using a Time Capsule, Using Apple's own WiFi in store). I have taken my phone in for "testing" a total of 3 times, received 2 exchanged devices, and have been offered a Brand New/not refurbished device with 4 years warranty and 90 days phone support. I'm supposed to take in my phone yet again Monday for "more testing". I haven't accepted the new phone/4yr warranty offer yet, I just want my WiFi to work already.

Does it work at all? or just sometimes?

What does "it could be a environmental issue" mean? Like you live in a rainforest? Wait Ariizona is more like a sauna- so how would that affect anything?
  • Reply 71 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

At least you have WiFi, AT ALLL. On my 3G I have zero Wifi, and no data contract

I've been stuck on my old spare 2G for the last few weeks. It could be worse though, I could have no iPhone. Still, they need to address the WiFi issues. They have been widespread for nearly two month now. Even my 2G drops WiFi now and then

It's not the iPhone, it's your Router!!! Test it with another one and see if it does the same thing.
  • Reply 72 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Perhaps you turn your router off every time you leave your room?

NO complaining here either actually- it gives me some excercise to get my butt off the couch.

No complaining here either.

- Two iPhones in this house: 3G and a 3Gs - both on 3.1

- Two separate net connections

- Two wireless routers (different brands, neither Apple) = two wireless networks, one used to stream to an AppleTV.

- The last time either router was restarted was months ago

Both phones pick up and connect to each network no problem. The only prob I have with my wireless is when I'm outside, in front of the house and I have a weak signal. I've chalked that up to being over 300 ft away from the router, which is behind brick, wood, and insulation.

I really don't see how this is an iPhone OS issue.
  • Reply 73 of 158
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

It's not the iPhone, it's your Router!!! Test it with another one and see if it does the same thing.

It's the iPhone. I have nothing more to add. I'm sick of talking about it at this stage.
  • Reply 74 of 158
    bucetabuceta Posts: 141member
    I will not download any update until is fixes the ATT-only carrier bug.
  • Reply 75 of 158
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I guess it's been a while since you looked at Smart Phones and what they are capable of.

Android and Palm Pre push their updates out FOR FREE OVER THE AIR!

You don't have to hook up to a computer and download a 2-300mb file every time Apple puts out an update.

Get out of your little Apple box and do some research before jumping my ass.

It is annoying to have to connect to iTunes to get a point update, but with 50M devices out there and with a percentage of users going to have issues sending the entire OS as an update instead of small patches for bug fixes does decrease the likelyhood of even more update related issues. That is likely worth the cost to apple for havingbto send a 200MB file out.

But, as usual, you miss the point and are wrong. The HTC G1 Android was luckybto get the 1.6 update and will nit be getting the 2.0 update. With Palm already strapped for cash, seemingly pushing the Pre away with another price drop and their move to new WebOS devices, how long will the Pre be getting updates, muchless rich updates like the original iPhone has gotten which is already in the 3rd generation and in its 3rd year.

Granted, part of Apple's strategy of giving the original iPhone v3.x was more to keep their competitors off balance, as opposed to doing it solely for the user, since they can't possibly keep up with Apple's much simpler HW platform but some will have to try to sem competitive on the high end. Let's see how the Pre are doing for rich updates 28 months after its release.
  • Reply 76 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Does it work at all? or just sometimes?

What does "it could be a environmental issue" mean? Like you live in a rainforest? Wait Ariizona is more like a sauna- so how would that affect anything?

Haha. Exactly. What is an environmental issue? It only works sometimes. I've noticed I can get wifi working if I put the phone into Airplane mode and leave it for a bit then switch it back on and quickly try to connect to the wifi network. Once its connected I try and keep the connection active otherwise It will drop and I will not be able to connect anymore.
  • Reply 77 of 158
    Well here is my current 3G speeds in Arizona with FULL BAR's (I'm about 5 minutes walking distance to the nearest at&t "palm tree tower"). Is this average for at&t 3G?

• Reply 78 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It is annoying to have to connect to iTunes to get a point update, but with 50M devices out there and with a percentage of users going to have issues sending the entire OS as an update instead of small patches for bug fixes does decrease the likelyhood of even more update related issues. That is likely worth the cost to apple for havingbto send a 200MB file out.

But, as usual, you miss the point and are wrong. The HTC G1 Android was luckybto get the 1.6 update and will nit be getting the 2.0 update. With Palm already strapped for cash, seemingly pushing the Pre away with another price drop and their move to new WebOS devices, how long will the Pre be getting updates, muchless rich updates like the original iPhone has gotten which is already in the 3rd generation and in its 3rd year.

Granted, part of Apple's strategy of giving the original iPhone v3.x was more to keep their competitors off balance, as opposed to doing it solely for the user, since they can't possibly keep up with Apple's much simpler HW platform but some will have to try to sem competitive on the high end. Let's see how the Pre are doing for rich updates 28 months after its release.

Basically you pulled your normal too long reply and said that the updates are Free and over the air.

Thanks for explaining why they are. Who needs Mr. Fixit when you haunt this room.
  • Reply 79 of 158
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    In the firmware of your router!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Where's the WiFi fix?

• Reply 80 of 158
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Basically you pulled your normal too long reply and said that the updates are Free and over the air.

Thanks for explaining why they are. Who needs Mr. Fixit when you haunt this room.

Mea culpa! I forgot that you don't comprehend or respond well to objective, adult conversation. I try simple sentences 4 u next time.