Apple releases iPhone OS 3.1.2 with glitch, crash fixes

Comments

• Reply 121 of 158
    In iPhone 3.0 you can still update the phone firmware to ATT 5.0. This gives you MMS which works great. By downgrading to iTunes 8.2 or lower temporarily you can install an unsigned ipcc file via iTunes to enable tethering invisible to ATT. It is harmless. The ipcc file mertely changes an Apple boolean flag from false to true and displays the GUI Apple has had in the phone for several months (without having it show up on the statistics page under settings opr on your bill. Vodaphone in Australia gives tethering free. 76 countries have iPhone tethering. U.S. contract all include unlimited data transfer without specifying the origin of such data except that i be put on ATT's carrier by the iPhone. So to respond to anotherr post..... who cares what Apple does about Pre and iTunes (unless you use a Pre)....That issue has already been taken to court by Palm who lost. Apple didn't develop the iPhone support that exists to help Palm come into the 21st century.

Anyway, I won't update until I get free tethering authorized by ATT. MMS is a toy. VOIP is superfluous when you don't pay long distance or roaming in the U.S. and when Skype works fine on the iPhone.

Come on ATT......... do what's right.
  • Reply 122 of 158
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

At least you have WiFi, AT ALLL. On my 3G I have zero Wifi, and no data contract

I've been stuck on my old spare 2G for the last few weeks. It could be worse though, I could have no iPhone. Still, they need to address the WiFi issues. They have been widespread for nearly two month now. Even my 2G drops WiFi now and then

Really? Because I have a 2G and it gets great WiFi reception...much better than my Macbook Pro (admittedly the metal blocks most of the WiFi reception). So I guess I must be in the minority, because my iPhone does everything perfectly?

I must say, though, the trolls (not you) are out full force today on this forum...
  • Reply 123 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Latest speed test looked great.

WHAT? Does this have to do with the RAM? My iPod touch 2G which runs at 533 Mhz as opposed to the 3GS 600 Mhz, but has half the RAM, only does 2.67 down and .46 up on WiFi!

And what ISP are you using that you can get that kind of upload speed. Where I live upload speed is usually about 1/8th the download speed.

I'm running it through an Airport Express on High-Speed Broadband Cable Modem.

My down speed on my iMac is 16.34 and up is .46. What am I missing?

OS 3.1.2

Huh???????
  • Reply 124 of 158
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Give me multi- tasking Apple and not next June .

TeckDud, why on earth would you, of all people, want multi-tasking? Seems to me your mind is always only on one track all of the time anyway, dump on Apple.
  • Reply 125 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

I

It's not the Channel, it's not the router, it's the fricking OS.

Yea, it's the fricking OS ... that's why the thousands and thousands of users who aren't having your problems must be wrong. .... face it dude ... it just may be something other than the OS. firmware update maybe?
  • Reply 126 of 158
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

You actually have the audacity to give that response after the ***** that OS 3.0 has been since day one.

You really need to apply as an Apple Tech Support person because you actually believe the line of crap you just spewed.

Better yet, Apple's marketing department. Just give them a little and keep them wanting and paying for more with the "NEXT" phone.

so, do you still use this phone that you hate so much, this phone that makes you so unhappy that you need to vent on the internets to all and sundry? if so,

no problems here whatsover with 3.0 on the iPhone, even wifi. perhaps i'm one of the lucky few. and i stand by what i said: email >>>>>>> mms. more open multi-tasking, whilst nice, isn't a deal-breaker. improving in increments is a far better option than cramming in every device/gadget/capability imaginable and having them work half-arsedly. it's not perfect, but nothing worth crying on the internet over. just my humble opinion.
  • Reply 127 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Hey that James Taylor song just came on the radio "I bet you think this song is about you".

Not to be picky, but it's a Carly Simon song. James Taylor, an ex-husband was once thought to be the subject of the song but was ruled out by Carly herself. The smart money is on Warren Beatty.
  • Reply 128 of 158
    Quote:

I'm not the only one that wants.

1. A Stable OS to get me through my contract.

2. Multi Tasking to catch up with the rest of the mobiles OS's on the market.

3. Not having to hook up to my computer for simple things that should be handled via WiFi or Bluetooth. I travel a lot.

4. Taking accountability for the countless problems with iPhone OS that, until a Class Action Law suit is filed or the press gets wind of it Apple ignores.

Judging from the latest surveys that claim iPhone is still #1 in customer satisfaction I think only a COMPLETE IDIOT would rant with so much anger and noise. Looks to me like your iPhone "completes" you.
  • Reply 129 of 158
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    yeah, i've been getting this issue where the phone drops the signal and when you get a signal again and try to make a call, there's no dial tone and it doesn't make a call. Also when it drops the signal, it never seems to want to retrieve mail or internet ever. The only thing that seems to fix the problem is resetting the phone. Problem is, i've reset my phone at least 2 times a day every day since the 3.1 came out.

But my biggest problem is with the cellular indicator on the phone. I was at a hockey game last night and inside the stadium my phone registered 4 bars. well when attempting to do anything it said it had no signal and wouldn't make calls or internet. that meter lies to me all the time.
  • Reply 130 of 158
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

yeah, i've been getting this issue where the phone drops the signal and when you get a signal again and try to make a call, there's no dial tone and it doesn't make a call. Also when it drops the signal, it never seems to want to retrieve mail or internet ever. The only thing that seems to fix the problem is resetting the phone. Problem is, i've reset my phone at least 2 times a day every day since the 3.1 came out.

But my biggest problem is with the cellular indicator on the phone. I was at a hockey game last night and inside the stadium my phone registered 4 bars. well when attempting to do anything it said it had no signal and wouldn't make calls or internet. that meter lies to me all the time.

So far so good with the crashing issue. Texting is still working this morning with no restart.

WiFi connected to my router some time last night, but speed tests are not exactly stellar.

1 kbps download and 4 kbps download. Not even worth turning it on.
  • Reply 131 of 158
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Well... I installed it. No differences noticed so far. Are Apple doing diffs with these things or what because it seems like a big file.
  • Reply 132 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Well... I installed it. No differences noticed so far. Are Apple doing diffs with these things or what because it seems like a big file.

There were no GUI changes in the release notes. Only fixes. You're still seeing the crashes after the update?
  • Reply 133 of 158
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

There were no GUI changes in the release notes. Only fixes. You're still seeing the crashes after the update?

I wasn't seeing any crashes before the update...
  • Reply 134 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

I just want to be able to send texts from inside of open apps

I've been watching this issue for some time and I'm convinced that Apple can offer 90% of the experience for 10% of the work.

The one set of "backgrounding tasks" that people want are simply plug-ins for the iPod player. This takes care of all the radio-like and other streaming issues. These strike me as relatively easy.

Another set are the interactive editors so you can make a quick reply to a text message, etc. These too seem very easy.

Another set are "I'm on the network" type alerts that allow applications on your phone to communicate their status to the wider network. For instance, you might want to have an app that broadcasts your location back to a server, so people can find you on maps.

This one is not so easy, but would plug into their existing notification server system. What would be needed is a new "kit" in the iPhone OS that collects up the plugins from your installed apps and keeps them running.

Something like Skype would have an internal module with an ID stamp that this kit would see, and load up when you start the phone up. It would essentially be a set of instructions that say things like "send this message to this IP address when I connect to WiFi, send that message to that IP when I disconnect from WiFi, send this message..." So then when you get home and your phone is on WiFi, your worldwide Skype presence updates without you having to do anything, and the existing messaging server would be used to tell the Skype application that there are incoming calls.

A social mapping app would have a similar plugin. However, this one would have instructions that says "send this bit of data to this server every 5 minutes, send this bit of data to this IP when my location moves more than 100 meters" etc.

In both cases the actual job of keeping these messages flowing is being handled by a single, hopefully small, application. This reduces the CPU and memory footprints.

Maury
  • Reply 135 of 158
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Yea, it's the fricking OS ... that's why the thousands and thousands of users who aren't having your problems must be wrong. .... face it dude ... it just may be something other than the OS. firmware update maybe?

Are you being purposefully blind to the widespread reports of wifi problems with the iPhone OS?

Here's a hint that might help you understand the world around you, especially computer related bug reports.

A thousand users with no problems does not prove that a product is bug free.

A million users with no problems does not prove that a product is bug free.

So while there is certainly tons of anecdotal evidence pointing to problem-free wifi, this doesn't mean jack shit when there is also tons of anecdotal evidence of problematic wifi.

In other words, problem-free usage by any number of users, no matter how numerous, can never prove that product is bug free. This is a logical fallacy. It is impossible to prove "bug-free" unless every user is surveyed. The opposite however is possible. The existence of bugs can be proven by a single user.

For the record, I too have experienced the wifi bug. All of a sudden, blam, my iPhone no longer connects reliably to any wifi network. And you're saying that over a dozen of the wifi nodes all suddenly had firmware issues despite being made by different manufacturers?
  • Reply 136 of 158
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I'm curious to know if any of the folks experiencing the WiFi problem have been able to walk into an Apple store where they have free WiFi and show them the problem? Are any of these phones still under warranty?
  • Reply 137 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I'm curious to know if any of the folks experiencing the WiFi problem have been able to walk into an Apple store where they have free WiFi and show them the problem? Are any of these phones still under warranty?

Mine isn't. The problem should be easy to reproduce as the phones won't see any WiFi hotspot. For instance, when I turn my WiFi on, the 'search' wheel shows up for less than half a second and shuts off. it used to spin for quite a while. Now it seems to try and immediately abort.
  • Reply 138 of 158
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Really? Because I have a 2G and it gets great WiFi reception...much better than my Macbook Pro (admittedly the metal blocks most of the WiFi reception). So I guess I must be in the minority, because my iPhone does everything perfectly?

I must say, though, the trolls (not you) are out full force today on this forum...

It's a bug in the OS, you have been lucky.
  • Reply 139 of 158
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's a bug in the OS, you have been lucky.

Or, to be perfectly fair, he hasn't been unlucky.

While the wifi bugs are real and quite common, trouble-free wifi usage is probably still the norm.
  • Reply 140 of 158
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Mine isn't. The problem should be easy to reproduce as the phones won't see any WiFi hotspot. For instance, when I turn my WiFi on, the 'search' wheel shows up for less than half a second and shuts off. it used to spin for quite a while. Now it seems to try and immediately abort.

OK, but even if it is still not under warranty and if the problem is easily reproducible, if you took it into an Apple store and could reproduce the problem, I wonder if Apple would:

1) blame it on the hardware and try to sell you a new iPhone

2) blame it on the router and go in the backroom and reset THEIR router

3) blame it on the OS and do a restore for you right there and retest it.