History suggests Windows 7 launch could boost Mac sales

Comments

• Reply 201 of 229
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Given that they are analysts, and the graph really shows no causality between Microsoft launches and growth in Mac sales, I call bulls*t on this one.

I don't care what other data they have it's like all that financial technical analysis garbage which can say one thing one day and another the next.

It's like the "bible code"... Play with any series of data long enough and you'll find what you want to see.

Well, the divine is in play, (at least some) of these analyst a*hol3s still have their jobs.

What a dissapointment that when a lot of whatever you study in school and college turns out to be ignored or not relevant in the "real business world".

Time for me to go do an MBA and make my millions by screwing over others and the planet.

The simple fact is that Windows 7 is launching and these guys are invested in seeing AAPL rise. So, produce report that helps this.

I don't know if this report would have even passed Statistics 101 or Foundation of Scientific Principles 101.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

That is exactly what the analyst said, i.e., ""We have concluded that no negative correlation exists on AAPL's hardware sales when Microsoft launches a new OS," Marshall said. "Ironically, we believe new OS launches from MSFT may have acted as a 'delayed accelerant' to AAPL's computing sales. However, we believe AAPL's success (or failure) in the computing market is largely idiosyncratic (or company-specific) in nature and not dependent on others in the industry."

Basically, this analyst was recommending his investors, that based on trending historical data, should not worry about MS's launch of Windows 7, and to continue buying Apple stock. That's all.

Note: The referenced graph is simply an overall presentation of Apple's sales trend relative to MS's major OS introductions. The data collected by the agency for these periods are far more extensive and comprehensive than displayed here. We are only getting a smidgen of the reported data; we are not privileged to the collection protocol, we are not investor subscribers or clients of the agency; and we are not entitled to any more.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Do we need to go back to school here guys? Correlation and causation...

• Reply 202 of 229
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Spoken like a true gamer.

PC gaming is dying, most big titles are console ports now. Sad, because if you choose the right components you get far better quality of graphics [potentially, it depends if the game supports it, nowadays even basic 2x antialiasing present in PC titles up to 5 years ago is missing] than an Xbox360 or PS3... for less than $700 easy.
  • Reply 203 of 229
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

What they've spent PALES in comparison to what Apple has spent over the las t 5 years on TV advertising to gain a measly 3-5%. What did you put in your coffee this morning?

Care to provide stats for that or is it easier for you for throw out conjecture and here say?
  • Reply 204 of 229
    Quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20...hic_ready.html

For the umpteenth time!!!!!

Would you suggest that they not advertise?? I remember a time when Apple never advertised on TV, so what's wrong with a little over-exposure to gain market share. The amount is irrelevant. Some people just seem to want to rant on about nothing I guess. Moving on.
  • Reply 205 of 229
    Quote:

IS their advertising attacking Apple- no- just recently. Why do I bother with such a NEWBEE?

He gives you an answer and you flip the issue. No one (including you) said anything about the content of the ads. It was a question of money. Get a grip and move on!!
  • Reply 206 of 229
    Quote:

Expect huge profits for Microsoft once corporations start swirtching from XP to 7. That is the real story here. It will be a boom to the US economy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/business/13views.html

The math in that article is very weird. "There are more than 1.2 billion PCs worldwide. Of these, analysts estimate just one-fifth use Vista. For every 2 percent of those that upgrade to Windows 7 without buying new machines, Microsoft would reap about $500 million in additional revenue, according to estimates from Deutsche Bank."

Here is why the math in the above is wonko:

!,200 million (total PCs) * .20 (number those that use vista ie can actually run W7) * .02 (upgraders) * 200 (average price of W7) = 960 million.

No wonder the banks are in trouble--they can't do basic math or are assuming a crap load of students are going for the low cost updrade
  • Reply 207 of 229
    Quote:

Right and that's why Corporate America and The US Government still uses Windows computers- Get Real.

Corporate America goes for the cheapest in the short term option which is why the economy is in the mess it is in.

As for the US Government that is primary Vax, Unix, and special home brew OSes that you would likely need a security clearance to even know about. Also last time I check the US Army was part of the US Government and they are supposedly going to Macs NOT PC running windows.
  • Reply 208 of 229
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maximara View Post

Corporate America goes for the cheapest in the short term option which is why the economy is in the mess it is in.

As for the US Government that is primary Vax, Unix, and special home brew OSes that you would likely need a security clearance to even know about. Also last time I check the US Army was part of the US Government and they are supposedly going to Macs NOT PC running windows.

That's interesting about the army going to macs. Where did you read that?
  • Reply 209 of 229
    Well, I'm hoping the new supposed capability of Snow Leopard will bring some amazing leaps in performance from apps optimized to work on Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 210 of 229
    Uh, last time I checked, Microsoft dosnt sell PC's. Besides, Apple has no market in gaming machines. Those are the high end in the PC world as far as the common uses. besides. many apple machines are only in the premium market because of price. Many are identical in hardware to their PC counterparts down to the OEM part numbers used in them, but you are paying $500 to $1000 more because it has an apple logo on it. My Gateway laptop at home I compared to a Mac book pro. Same system board/chipset, same RAM, same Hard-drive, same wireless card, same processor, etc... Yes, I checked the OEM not the manufacture part numbers. The only differences between the Gateway and Apple? The OS and exactly $999 were the only differences. So, there is no need to buy a premium Apple computer when the so called generic PC sales as you label them qualifies Apple as Generic in your own words since the hardware is the same. Remember, Apple dosn't make their own hardware, they use existing Intel based hardware that all PC's run on, Windows, OSX, and Linux.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

"In our view, Apple is 'THE' undisputed growth name in tech with numerous catalysts on the horizon (e.g. China iPhone ramp, netbook/tablet launch, etc.) and no business model issues," he said. "In addition, AAPL is currently benefiting from a positive mix shift (to higher margin iPhones/iPod touches)."

This is true. There's no regaining the Premium segment of the market for MS. MS simply doesn't have the ecosystem Apple does. Their business model simply doesn't support it. If Windows 7 could make the perfect cup of espresso as well, it still wouldn't dent Apple's growth. You get to a point where you've lost so much mindshare, while your opponent has gained so much ground (and in a 1st class segment of the market) that the road back to desirability will be all the more rocky.

Windows 7 might boost generic PC sales, but it will really have no relationship to Mac sales. There's no "gaining back lost market share" for MS. MS is now confined to the low end and mid-end of the market and that's not going to change anytime soon. Consumers in the Premium segment who have $1000 to spend are looking for Macs, and in a recession, and in the presence of heavily adverstised lower-cost (allegedly high-value) alternatives. These people sure as hell aren't going to look at a generic PC, Windows 7 or not.

• Reply 211 of 229
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    i think this is it really many apple fans misconstrue the premium market.

Most users of the "premium" market arent going to go out and buy an Alienware desktop when they could build a similar rig for much less.

The gaming market is more or less the premium market, my friends PC absolutely blows my iMac out the water, its not even up for debate and i can accept that. Someone who sources their own parts and builds it themselves are part of the premium niche, they just arent counted because they didnt buy from a dealer like Dell.
  • Reply 212 of 229
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by druble View Post

Uh, last time I checked, Microsoft dosnt sell PC's. Besides, Apple has no market in gaming machines. Those are the high end in the PC world as far as the common uses. besides. many apple machines are only in the premium market because of price. Many are identical in hardware to their PC counterparts down to the OEM part numbers used in them, but you are paying $500 to $1000 more because it has an apple logo on it. My Gateway laptop at home I compared to a Mac book pro. Same system board/chipset, same RAM, same Hard-drive, same wireless card, same processor, etc... Yes, I checked the OEM not the manufacture part numbers. The only differences between the Gateway and Apple? The OS and exactly $999 were the only differences. So, there is no need to buy a premium Apple computer when the so called generic PC sales as you label them qualifies Apple as Generic in your own words since the hardware is the same. Remember, Apple dosn't make their own hardware, they use existing Intel based hardware that all PC's run on, Windows, OSX, and Linux.

I agree 100%. I have said this over and over again here. The hardware is the same. The only difference in the operating system and the case the hardware comes in.

The gaming community drives the market and always has.

Most new hardware is not designed for the average consumer. Cutting edge development is always done with the high end gaming enthusiast then it filters done to the consumer level PC buyers. The DIY PC builders are the ones that spend the big bucks to have the latest and greatest and fastest computers.

Anyway that is my 2cents...I know I will get blasted for it but it is the truth.....
  • Reply 213 of 229
    I'm buying more Macs, once Windows 7 comes out next week.

Hmmm it took them how many years to copy the Dock!
  • Reply 214 of 229
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

besides. many apple machines are only in the premium market because of price. Many are identical in hardware to their PC counterparts down to the OEM part numbers used in them, but you are paying $500 to $1000 more because it has an apple logo on it. My Gateway laptop at home I compared to a Mac book pro. Same system board/chipset, same RAM, same Hard-drive, same wireless card, same processor, etc... Yes, I checked the OEM not the manufacture part numbers. The only differences between the Gateway and Apple? The OS and exactly $999 were the only differences. So, there is no need to buy a premium Apple computer when the so called generic PC sales as you label them qualifies Apple as Generic in your own words since the hardware is the same. Remember, Apple dosn't make their own hardware, they use existing Intel based hardware that all PC's run on, Windows, OSX, and Linux.

Not to nitpick, but is your Gateway laptop the same size and weight as the macbook pro? Does it have an LED backlit screen? Multitouch trackpad? Hard drive drop sensor? Slot loading drive? Machined aluminum case? What about an ambient light sensor? Does the battery have a similar energy density? etc.

There are a lot of things other than the Apple logo that contribute to the cost of a mac. Perhaps you don't find these features useful or necessary to yourself, and that is fine, but they do raise Apples cost to manufacture their products and thus affect the end price. As far as I know, Apple still designs their own motherboards too (although I'm sure they farm out the manufacturing).
  • Reply 215 of 229
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Not completely true.

While "cannon fodder" employees do get cheap units, executives will more often go for HP EliteBook or Envy models, Lenovo T or X, high end Vaio... at least here in NZ.

Right, but which group is more plentiful, cannon fodder or executives?
  • Reply 216 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imurphit View Post

I'm buying more Macs, once Windows 7 comes out next week.

Hmmm it took them how many years to copy the Dock!

What is the point to posting this comment? It's really pointless. I hope you are not referring to a Hardware dock, as *Microsoft does not make computers (including docking stations) to go with them* If you are referring to the Sidebar (widgets) sorry, Active Desktop had that a long time ago. So I question if you are really a IT manager if IT at all. A helpdesk tech maybe? Anyway, stop pointing your nose in the air, as it highlights the belief that many people have that people who own a Mac think they are better then everyone because they own one. Pretty sad really. You either like Mac's or you don't. Personally, I would rather not spend the extra money for an apple logo on my computer. But that don't mean I have anything against them. I just don't like the fact that people post mostly false and inaccurate information about Windows machines vs Mac, because they believe everything they hear instead of relying on factual information. Kind of like this article conveying false information. For the real facts about Apple sales relations during Windows launches why don't you read something factual:

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/ar...nse/1255464046
  • Reply 217 of 229
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

That's like saying that because God made the arms, legs etc. for both Miss Universe and my wife that my wife and her are the same. No disrespect to my wife, but I've seen them both .... and sadly they're not. ..... but I'll keep my wife , just the same.
  • Reply 218 of 229
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

That's like saying that because God made the arms, legs etc. for both Miss Universe and my wife that my wife and her are the same. No disrespect to my wife, but I've seen them both .... and sadly they're not. ..... but I'll keep my wife , just the same.

Well newbee....I might not agree with your view points and you might not be 68 like you say...

But I do like your sense of humor.......
  • Reply 219 of 229
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

No, he said the "best computers in the industry" .... sounds about right, at least according to all the latest user and owner satisfaction surveys I keep seeing, year after year after year.

Can't agree with that.

Much as I recall, Toyota and Subaru cars have higher user satisfaction than BMW or Mercedes vehicles. While I like Subaru, I would disagree they are better cars.

There are various possible reasons for higher consumer satisfaction, including lower expectations and higher user tolerance. Otherwise, how can you explain this:

http://www.itworld.com/hardware/6507...bility-ranking

With all the graphics card/screen issues, beeping/freezing HDDs, malfunctioning superdrives, cracking plastic bodies etc... one has to wonder reasons for high user satisfaction if there is no extreme brand loyalty included - something that Apple really commands with great success.

And finally... one should keep in mind that Apple hasn't got low price, low quality units to "water down" users' satisfaction. While HP does rank horribly low in above mentioned list, I would expect if you extract, for example, EliteBook line from whole HP result, they would stand much stronger.

Take a look at latest HP Envy 15" with Core i7 CPU, up to 16GB of RAM, 2 SSD and ATI 4830 graphics... or high-end Lenovo W700 with 2 screens, Wacom tablet and extras like built-in monitor colour calibration hardware; no, I don't think Macs are better machines than those, as nice as they are.
  • Reply 220 of 229
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Is this the best you can do? .... what a disappointment.

OK, that was not nice from me. Apologies. Being a gamer in my 40', I guess I'm looking at that from a different angle than you might.

You do sound way bellow your age, not to mention that energy and zest you follow Teckstud with is something to be expected from teenager. I can only hope to be there in my 60' (and to still be into video games).

Good on you.