History suggests Windows 7 launch could boost Mac sales

Comments

• Reply 161 of 229
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Coming from someone obviously still in junior high. It's past 3 o'clock- did you just get home?

Gee, where you come from do 68 year olds go to junior high .... my condolences to your teachers.
  • Reply 162 of 229
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Yeah, it's an Apple fan site. I thought Apple sold us (the consumers) products not shares.

I can see it now:

New, iMac - now with improved Profit Margins!

If for example, you are debating the success of Apples get a mac ads (as we were earlier in this thread), you should look at the effects of the ads from Apples perspective as they are the ones paying for results and ultimately determine if they are successful.

If you are wondering why Apple doesn't produce X product (that you would love), again you should look at it from Apples perspective in an attempt to gain an understanding of why they don't. I am much happier without a desired product if I at least understand why it isn't produced.

Personally, I take a great interest in Apples business practices because I find them to be interesting.
  • Reply 163 of 229
    Quote:

Dude, it's a windows world- get used to it. Office is used on PCs all across Corporate America and Universities and I imagine even in the Queen's Canada.

We all know that, even up here in the "frozen north". But you can't blame Apple for trying to raise the bar, can you?
  • Reply 164 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Can I load OSX on my gaming rig? No? Windows it is then. Simple decision.

Spoken like a true gamer.
  • Reply 165 of 229
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,861member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by red_skittles View Post

The reason why apple's OS runs better than windows is because it is built specifically for apple's hardware. Apple has the ability to tweak and tune its software to run in complete harmony with the hardware it uses. Microsoft on the other hand has to cater to hundreds of different hardware components.

Actually, I only partially agree with this.

It's true that as far as device support goes, Apple has a much easier job than Microsoft does. But, that's really only half (or less than half) the story. I think their are at least a couple of other reasons why Mac OS runs better than Windows:

1. It's built on a more modern foundation.

2. The culture at Apple seems to be more focused on producing well designed and well implemented software, rather than simply pushing features out the door. (Which is also easier to do because of point #1.)

Both of these factors, along with the hardware support issue, result in a more stable and efficient OS. Similar points could be made about the Mac UI vs. Windows.
  • Reply 166 of 229
    Quote:

IS their advertising attacking Apple- no- just recently. Why do I bother with such a NEWBEE?

"Is their advertising attacking Apple- no- just recently" ... kinda answered your own question, didn't you?

"Why do I bother with such a NEWBEE?" ... So I can point out the obvious to you .... see previous remark.
  • Reply 167 of 229
    Quote:

Yeah, it's an Apple fan site. I thought Apple sold us (the consumers) products not shares.

I can see it now:

New, iMac - now with improved Profit Margins!

All right, I like it.
  • Reply 168 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

If for example, you are debating the success of Apples get a mac ads (as we were earlier in this thread), you should look at the effects of the ads from Apples perspective as they are the ones paying for results and ultimately determine if they are successful.

If you are wondering why Apple doesn't produce X product (that you would love), again you should look at it from Apples perspective in an attempt to gain an understanding of why they don't. I am much happier without a desired product if I at least understand why it isn't produced.

Personally, I take a great interest in Apples business practices because I find them to be interesting.

I was just being facetious to the poster in question. I'm not a fan of Get a Mac Ads (they pulled them here in the UK), but they work so why not. I remember hearing that some high end shops provide bad customer service on purpose... and it works! More fool us than them.

And I'm aware why Apple doesn't produce certain products, which is fine - I'll buy them elsewhere. The main thing I find annoying is when defence of Apple turns into anti-choice arguments e.g. the matte screen argument and even in threads about the app store.
  • Reply 169 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by red_skittles View Post

your vernacular suggests otherwise

Well, my vernacular has been acting up lately. Anyway, time for my nap ..... see you later.
  • Reply 170 of 229
    Quote:

And I'm aware why Apple doesn't produce certain products, which is fine - I'll buy them elsewhere. The main thing I find annoying is when defence of Apple turns into anti-choice arguments e.g. the matte screen argument and even in threads about the app store.

Yeah, I guess some people do go a little overboard here.
  • Reply 171 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I hit the big 40, 9 years ago and I can honestly say you don't want to keep aging! Nothing good comes from it. Growing sales or grow better processors is good, an aging body sucks!

Dave

Thanks Dude, but I'm 62 tomorrow!
  • Reply 172 of 229
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevemost View Post

Thanks Dude, but I'm 62 tomorrow!

We share a birthday! Happy birthday for tomorrow, and even though I go up a year, I will still be eleven behind you! It all gets better as you get older I reckon.
  • Reply 173 of 229
    I love how every time Microsoft or Windows 7 is brought up here, hilarity ensues ^_^.

History may show Apple getting a slight gain with each Windows release, but this time around, there are several factors to consider. I think the biggest change is Windows 7's reception being far more positive than any of its predecessors. Perhaps it is the starving man's syndrome, but there's no denying that Windows 7 is a refreshing change from Redmond, and hopefully the first of many. People are genuinely excited for it, myself included, and its not all hype. The fact is Windows 7 is the cleanest, most stable version of Windows that has come around, and anyone who's tried it can attest to that. The philosophy of "less is more" is definitely their attempt at building consumer trust once more. That's not to say Windows 7 is going to fix all of Microsoft's problems, but it is a start.

It will be interesting to see how Windows 7 is going to progress in the next few years. I don't believe it will do well with getting people to upgrade existing hardware, but going forward, you'll see it standard on every new PC made. There will never be a "Vista Downgrade" option on Dell or HP's site, and I think the XP option is going to fade away without too many tears shed.

As far as Apple? They're going to be just fine. They have a loyal community of users and developers who will always be drooling over that "one more thing,"
  • Reply 174 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

I love how every time Microsoft or Windows 7 is brought up here, hilarity ensues ^_^.

History may show Apple getting a slight gain with each Windows release, but this time around, there are several factors to consider. I think the biggest change is Windows 7's reception being far more positive than any of its predecessors. Perhaps it is the starving man's syndrome, but there's no denying that Windows 7 is a refreshing change from Redmond, and hopefully the first of many. People are genuinely excited for it, myself included, and its not all hype. The fact is Windows 7 is the cleanest, most stable version of Windows that has come around, and anyone who's tried it can attest to that. The philosophy of "less is more" is definitely their attempt at building consumer trust once more. That's not to say Windows 7 is going to fix all of Microsoft's problems, but it is a start.

It will be interesting to see how Windows 7 is going to progress in the next few years. I don't believe it will do well with getting people to upgrade existing hardware, but going forward, you'll see it standard on every new PC made. There will never be a "Vista Downgrade" option on Dell or HP's site, and I think the XP option is going to fade away without too many tears shed.

As far as Apple? They're going to be just fine. They have a loyal community of users and developers who will always be drooling over that "one more thing,"

Have you already forgotten Windows ME? I think Windows XP was a slight improvement.
  • Reply 175 of 229
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Have you already forgotten Windows ME? I think Windows XP was a slight improvement.

Ahhhh....yes...ME forgets about ME....

I actually love XP but after having tried Win 7 I will definatley make it my second choice OS....
  • Reply 176 of 229
    I am in high school, and this is what I have noticed.

1. About 25% of kids in my school have a Mac.

2. My school just received a shipment of 150 MacBooks, as well as two iMacs.

3. According to my school's website, 16% of teachers in my school personally use Macs- including both technology heads.

From my personal experiences, Apple's image is very good. Almost every kid without a Mac plans to buy one for their next computer. I was even talking to a 70 year old substitute teacher about computers, and he is buying a Mac next. The main reason for kids wanting Macs seems to be the "coolness" factor, as well as for "iChat", "Photobooth", etc. The main reason for adults buying Macs seems to be them being fed up with Windows. They are fed up with their PC's breaking, as well as viruses.

Apple's market share will rise in the consumer market for sure. One thing that pisses me off about Apple is that their prices are hurting themselves. I know so many people who would get a Mac the second they could, but can't afford it. If Apple offered a $699 notebook, they would be sure to dominate the consumer market. As for business, offer a cheaper iMac, and continue to market the "No Viruses, No Hassle, Just Works" idea. Offices might pick up an iMac or two, and grow to love it. But of course Apple won't do it because they are Apple. Just my two cents.
  • Reply 177 of 229
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Well, my vernacular has been acting up lately. Anyway, time for my nap ..... see you later.

now that was funny! :-)
  • Reply 178 of 229
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Late to this party but here's my 2¢.

1: Netbooks are going to OWN the holidays. Apple has no answer. Netbooks are robbing laptop sales A LOT. But margins are better and with more sales, making more money overall than laptops.

2: Windows 7 is pretty good and the PC geeks are drooling to make money installing it.

3: Windows 7 won't boost Mac sales this time and mostly only coders will buy a Mac and Windows 7.
  • Reply 179 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

3: Windows 7 won't boost Mac sales this time and mostly only coders will buy a Mac and Windows 7.

I don't think anyone here bought the idea that Windows releases have ever boosted Mac sales. At most, the numbers suggest that new Windows releases haven't done anything to slow down the growth in Mac sales.
  • Reply 180 of 229
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

... History may show Apple getting a slight gain with each Windows release, but this time around, there are several factors to consider. I think the biggest change is Windows 7's reception being far more positive than any of its predecessors. ...

I don't totally disagree with what you've posted here. It's pretty clear that Windows 7 is both better and will get a better "reception" than Vista. It would probably be well received even if it was a turd actually.

I think what you might be mixing up, (and what a lot of folks confuse when they think about Windows 7's "reception"), is the consumer reception versus the corporate reception.

Microsoft's major market is corporations and institutions. It's even fair to say that these are MS's only "customers" (more so than the individual consumers). People who use Windows 7 like it a lot, but the reaction of the corporations and institutions is going to be the telling thing.

In my institution (University), they have already decided not to deploy it. Most places I know that have lots and lots of (working) X installations are also not thinking of deploying it. The main reason being there is nothing really about Windows 7 that necessitates the upgrade. It's not faster, it's just a bit more secure, but the XP installations have long ago been locked down and *made* secure, so security is just not able to drive the upgrade.

The institutional/corporate market is also the market that generally pays full price for the product and operates the product in an environment where it *has* to work, and has to be reasonably snappy. that often means new machines with the upgrade. There has to be a compelling reason for a corporation or University to take hundreds and hundreds of XP desktops, throw them out the window and buy all new ones with all new Windows 7 licenses.

It's a bit easier to use, but only once you get used to it. For the average XP user, Windows 7 is as different a thing as switching to OS-X would be. They'll like it once they get used to it and we will of course see a gradual upgrade wave to Windows 7, but I don't see how it will be as fast or as complete as updates have been in the past. A lot of shops will stick with XP right through to the first service pack at minimum.