34 hours with no sleep...interrsting things start to happenn

Comments

• Reply 181 of 222
    I seem to have forgotten how to sleep over the past few nights and stumbled across this thread... I know it's old but made me feel better to know there are other insomnia survivors! The thought of starting a 12hour day today on such little sleep is so overwhelming. :-(
    Somniphobia
  • Reply 182 of 222
    glad to see I'm not alone. I made an account just for this thread. 26+ hours for no reason. mind is racing with delusional made up scenarios. I'm just hoping I don't have to call off work again tomorrow.
  • Reply 183 of 222

my name is amelia and  i am still trying to stay up. how do u do that i cant even make that long :) 

• Reply 184 of 222
    ApplemosApplemos Posts: 15member
    Many years ago when I was only a teenager. I once stayed awake for 72 hours. I actually started hallucinating people and shapes in the corner of my eyes. Soo weird and creepy!
    Somniphobia
  • Reply 185 of 222
    22 hours so far for me, I'm trying to fix my sleep by staying up all day. I feel like shit, and it doesn't help that I have somniphobia slightly... Pure fear when I try to sleep because I'm somehow afraid of that transitional phase between awake and sleep. It's an irrational fear, of course. Maybe someone will see this and relate. 

Anyways, let's keep the ball rolling! Keep this thread alive. :)
    SleepisWhatiNeed
  • Reply 186 of 222
    Ok, like many others I have created an account for the soul purpose of posting to this thread.
    I have been awake for 25 hours and it is currently 3am. I have tried to sleep but somehow can't manage. As a highschool student who has school tommorow I feel pretty shitty I get out of school around 3:30 so... It will be around 38 hours when I can sleep agian. Apparently sleep deprivation gives the same effect as being drunk so I look forward to English class. I feel really weird right now like time is going way slower and some things make me unusual sad or cause me to laugh randomly. Now I've been rambling on for awhile and I don't remember what I wrote in the slightest and am not sure it is coherent at all. 

Thank you for listening.
  • Reply 187 of 222
     Well starting off I am an athletic and generally healthy teen, but it has been about 32 hours since I slept, It has been a rough few weeks, first with an appendectomy, then now, 4 days later (This Morning) Unexplained swelling in the lower lip, and mouth swelling in areas of irritation. As far as sleeping, last night is when I didn't really feel tired and ended up surfing the web until about 10 that night, but as I was laying there I honestly instead of feeling tired felt like I could run a marathon, this continued on the rest of the night with a few 10-15 minute periods of "sleep" at around 6:00 is when I really started noticing the painless but  enlarged portion of my lower lip which I have never had before. I went through the day and the swelling  continued to pop up (much smaller than my lip) in places  where braces had caused irritation. I did also note that I felt tired by the end of the day. So when attempting to sleep at around 8:00 (no caffeine, medicines(aside from dental paste for the swelling), or other notable sleep  inhibitors) it is the same story, I feel wide awake and can only manage to achieve 10-15 minutes of sleep every so often. It  is now 1:00 and I am confused as hell and just feel strange. If I figure this out ill let ya know but in the meantime, Thanks for listening. (And yes I have consulted a doctor)
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 188 of 222
    I've been awake sense 4:00pm yesterday. (20hours without sleep.) I'm having really bad chest pains and can't seem to have a reaction when I'm included in the conversation. My chest has been bothering me sense 6am and I'm finding it hard to breath. Not like a panic attack more of my longed are being squeezed. It's feels like the burning sensation you have when you put something minty of your face or in your moulth. Yet it's not heartburn? I plan to go to bed at 29hours to get my sleep pattern back on track. Also working out definitely made the sleepiness go away so I've been trying to stay active. (Work out, take a shower, dance, do laundry, etc) 
  • Reply 189 of 222
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I just noticed this thread and read a few posts... yikes! Yes, I used to talk about lack of sleep and the effects almost like badge of honor, too.

But, if I knew then what I know now, I'd have been much more careful. I've done so much damage to my health, performance, and capabilities with lack of sleep, relatively poor diet (even then, better than a lot of people these days), etc. that has taken a LOT of effort to even partly undo.

Please check out:
    http://sleepsmarterbook.com

Or, the author's podcast episodes on sleep:
    http://theshawnstevensonmodel.com/podcasts/

There is also a ton of info on other aspects of health, nutrition, and exercise, and this guy does a great job of explaining the science behind it and studies in a fun way. He's one of the most knowledgable people I've ever run across (and note, I was skeptical when I first found him, and was doing so because my wife was pushing me to do some research into what she had been reading/hearing elsewhere).
  • Reply 190 of 222
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    addabox said:
    Ironically, every time this thread starts to drift off to sleep it gets woken up.
    Boo.  Ban this person immediately  :wink: 
  • Reply 191 of 222
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I never went that long.  Do you guys realize this thread has been going on for 16 years!?  
  • Reply 192 of 222
    sdw2001 said:
    I never went that long.  Do you guys realize this thread has been going on for 16 years!?  
    It's a critically important topic, though. And, unfortunately, the perception of it in the general public is quite dangerous.
    http://science.sciencemag.org/content/342/6156/373

(And, I speak as someone trying to recover from damage done. :( I used to drink 6+ cans of Mt. Dew daily and run on 3-4 hours of sleep. Until it caught up and put me in the hospital. Nearly 2 decades later, I'm still not back to 100%.)
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 193 of 222
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Navy. Engineering. Submarines. Forward deployed.

Enough said.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 194 of 222
    do some exercise man. Go out play. Run, cycle do some cardio. I mean what your age if you are in 20-30 8 hours sleep is a must. If you use computer alot use night light or Flux which is a great tool. It dims blue light which is good for sleep. 
  • Reply 195 of 222
    If you use computer alot use night light or Flux which is a great tool. It dims blue light which is good for sleep. 
    Honestly, you’d think Apple would bring Night Shift to OS X (in the same way that you’d think they would have brought “STOP AUTOPLAY” to iOS), but whatever.
  • Reply 196 of 222
    If you use computer alot use night light or Flux which is a great tool. It dims blue light which is good for sleep. 
    Honestly, you’d think Apple would bring Night Shift to OS X (in the same way that you’d think they would have brought “STOP AUTOPLAY” to iOS), but whatever.
    There is Night Shift in macOS, but it's not nearly as good as F.lux. I think in the interest of keeping this more pretty, they don't cut out as much of the blue spectrum (with my experience on iOS, anyway).

Yea, I've never quite gotten the feature-parity thing between iOS and macOS. It's almost like there are completely separate teams working on the UI and apps between the platforms that don't ever talk aside from HR 'team-building' games or something.

do some exercise man. Go out play. Run, cycle do some cardio. I mean what your age if you are in 20-30 8 hours sleep is a must. If you use computer alot use night light or Flux which is a great tool. It dims blue light which is good for sleep. 
    Yea, I'm not sure which is more important, but sleep and diet are the biggies, then exercise (if you're a couch-potato). Sadly, I think most people almost do that in reverse order... i.e.: try to out-exercise their poor diets, and use medications, supplements, and stimulants to try and cover the symptoms of lack of sleep. As I said, I was *horrible* in that regard in my 20s and paid a big price.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 197 of 222
    Are you still alive :worried: 
    nosleepneeded97
  • Reply 198 of 222
    It is crazy how this forum started almost 17 years ago. I am lucky if I get any sleep most I will sleep is around 20 hours a week joys of being a full time chef. Weirdly enough it dosent have any effect on me. I remember when I was 15 me and my friend stayed up for 5 days straight passed out on the 6th day and sleept for about 16 hours haha. only had 5 hours sleep in the last few days and start work at 9am till 10pm oh well. 

• Reply 199 of 222
    It is crazy how this forum started almost 17 years ago. I am lucky if I get any sleep most I will sleep is around 20 hours a week joys of being a full time chef. Weirdly enough it dosent have any effect on me. I remember when I was 15 me and my friend stayed up for 5 days straight passed out on the 6th day and sleept for about 16 hours haha. only had 5 hours sleep in the last few days and start work at 9am till 10pm oh well. 
    Unfortunately, though there is *some* variation from person to person, it absolutely does have an effect on you.
    And, in all sorts of ways we're just starting to discover:
    cf. http://sleepsmarterbook.com
  • Reply 200 of 222
    New year new me! 19 hours so far wishing for sleepy time. Not excited for the hallucinations hope i sleep by then  :)