Sources reveal part of Apple's new Mac product lineup

Comments

• Reply 61 of 186
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    i wouldn't mind BR in a mini - i need a new media pc connected to my tv... and yeah, BR is useful on a 55" LED tv.
  • Reply 62 of 186
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

get off it, bro. Nobody needs BR on a 21" screen.

Unless you use Blu-ray disks for your home theater system and don't want to buy movies a second time on dvd. Blu-ray would be a very nice option to have but it isn't essential. Then again, a new mac would be a very nice thing to have, but in in my case it isn't absolutely needed, so I can hold out in the hope that they will have Blu-ray in the future. So if Apple wants me to buy a mac this refresh, they probably need to have Blu-ray. I say probably because other unannounced features may be able to sway my opinion.
  • Reply 63 of 186
    Quote:

get off it, bro. Nobody needs BR on a 21" screen.

???

Are you aware that inches != resolution? If your display is capable of showing 1080p, BlueRay WILL give you a visual advantage over DVD's 720p.

So basically anyone who watches movies on their computer would benefit from BlueRay compatibility.

-Clive
  • Reply 64 of 186
    Quote:

You can contact our telesales team at the following numbers:

Speaking of retro... Telesales?
  • Reply 65 of 186
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

$10 to the first guy who lines the ceiling with them! Kinda Retro meats modern... In the 70's it was mirrors, in the 10's it's iMacs with iSight cameras!

yeah, that's an environmentally friendly and inexpensive mirror.
  • Reply 66 of 186
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

no, but i'm not clamoring for it either. You, however, won't stop crying about BR.

Secondly, i think a 16:9 iMac plus the new VESA mount would look pretty nice in the bedroom.

I prefer a MacMini hooked up to my bedroom 32 inch 16:9 TV - but no HDMI provided.

or I prefer to surf the web using my AppleTV - but Apple says no.

I don't need 2 monitors in my bedroom.
  • Reply 67 of 186
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

If your display is capable of showing 1080p, BlueRay WILL give you a visual advantage over DVD's 720p.

DVD at 720p?
  • Reply 68 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i wouldn't mind BR in a mini - i need a new media pc connected to my tv... and yeah, BR is useful on a 55" LED tv.

I agree, BR in a mini is another story. However, I doubt Apple sees the mini as their true home entertainment solution (i see an AppleTV update coming), so i personally wouldn't bank on it.
  • Reply 69 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I prefer a MacMini hooked up to my bedroom 32 inch 16:9 TV - but no HDMI provided.

There's an adapter for that. It's not by Apple though. [MacMini to HDMI], I have one, works well. It was $39.
  • Reply 70 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pb View Post

dvd at 720p?

hd-dvd?
  • Reply 71 of 186
    Quote:

no, but i'm not clamoring for it either. You, however, won't stop crying about BR.

NO crying- just a realist. Blu-ray is having a great year in additon to Apple yet it remains to be seen when it arrives on a Mac.
  • Reply 72 of 186
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

???

Are you aware that inches != resolution? If your display is capable of showing 1080p, BlueRay WILL give you a visual advantage over DVD's 720p.

So basically anyone who watches movies on their computer would benefit from BlueRay compatibility.

-Clive

Except that DVDs are 480p
  • Reply 73 of 186
    I am in class refreshing the online canadian store and the forums here... already update my facebook status ... excited and ready to SEE the new products. On my way to the train last night, I saw plastic sheets on top of the macbooks and some kind of light construction-like work ...
  • Reply 74 of 186
    I am in class refreshing the online canadian store and checking the forums here... already updated my facebook status that the apple online store is temporarly offline for new updates... excited and ready to SEE the new products. On my way to the train last night, I saw plastic sheets on top of the center tables/macbooks and some kind of light construction-like work at the apple store downtown montreal ... I thought they were adding new products, I couldn't stay to watch, had to catch my train ... excitingly awaiting the updates
  • Reply 75 of 186
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Gotta agree with that... but in my case it's a 34" LCD Aquos and if my eyes get any OLDER I'm eventually gonna swap it out for a 42" and move the 32 into the computer room.
  • Reply 76 of 186
    The suspense is painful! COME ON, FLIP THE SWITCH.
  • Reply 77 of 186
    Quote:

I doubt Apple sees the mini as their true home entertainment solution (i see an AppleTV update coming), so i personally wouldn't bank on it.

Could have fooled me- I thought it's (ATV) been dying a slow death for over a year now. That's a holiday item to sell if ever there was one.
  • Reply 78 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Big thing i lose by going to Mac is not being able to play all the games, and even the strategy games need a nice graphics card these days

Which is why an Apple mid-tower would be perfect for you. It would be just as easy to set up as a Mac Mini, it would have easily accessible RAM, and desktop graphics for the games. You could boot-camp Windows and wouldn't have to sacrifice those PC only titles. Even with boot camp, a Mac Mini wouldn't be able to handle GTA IV...

There is a need for a mid-tower. Apple just wants its big fat profit margin from iMacs and Mac Pros. They're a business, so I don't begrudge them for it, but it make my life easier, not having to check out all the Hackintosh forums for hours before I buy a new computer part...

-Clive
  • Reply 79 of 186
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

A two-HDD Mac Mini?

Apple continues to swing and miss at addressing the weaknesses of the Mac Mini.

Is this manifestation for a basic user? I doubt a basic user is going to say "WHAT?? ONLY 320GB??!!" and those that do aren't going to be willing to sacrifice a DVD drive to get more space. Sure there's AirDisk or whatever, but that's not very persuasive to would-be switchers who are sick of their monstrous, virus-laden PC tower -- which they'll have to keep running in order to install a program on the Mac Mini!

So it's obvious that this Mac Mini is not designed for basic users. Unfortunately for Apple, neither does this Mac Mini appeal to Prosumers, who are (and have been since the death of the PowerMac) looking for a light tower... something with desktop graphics, expandable HDD and expandable RAM. If Apple released such a computer at a reasonable price, the OSX86 project and would-be cloners like Psystar would promptly die.

...but I know better than to hope for this...

-Clive

Clive.....you are so right If they release something of a mid-tower then allot of the Hackintosh stuff will go away.

I would buy a mid tower that I could swap video cards in a second!
  • Reply 80 of 186
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Except that DVDs are 480p

Ah, thanks for reminding that. I had forgot the precise resolution but 720p was just too much.