Sources reveal part of Apple's new Mac product lineup

Comments

• Reply 101 of 186
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Have you ever looked at Blu-ray storage specs to burn all those iTunes files. I don't trust HDDs anymore after my LaCie died.

We tried this argument and it didn't seem to work. Many here see Blu-ray and automatically jump to the conclusion that it's just for watching movies.
  • Reply 102 of 186
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

while technically that may be true, Apple isn't catering to the very small percentage of people (outside this forum) who truly want BR on a 21" screen in their bedroom / on their computer. BR isn't mainstream enough (though it's certainly growing) nor is it so unebelievably better on a computer than regular DVD. People simply don't expect / demand that kind of quality on their computer. The fact that BR is available on so many Windows PCs is more of a testament to the "compete on price and useless features" business model the OEM's have resorted to than a testament to the demand for BR on home PCs. Does it sell? Sure, why not? I'm not gonna turn it away if it's offered on a new laptop I'm buying - but it's certainly not a deal-breaker for me. This is how the VAST, VAST majority of people look at Blu-ray.

Please look outside the tech-blog forum universe.

BR not being in the machines has nothing to do with how mainstream it is [ex: iMac w/ USB, MBA w/ no ODD]

BR isn't Apple owned. that's why it's not in the machines, SJ doesn't want to pay out the royalties.
  • Reply 103 of 186
    Quote:

Ok so now SJ is the Wizard and Santa Claus- anything else?

Amex=American Express... My Santa.
  • Reply 104 of 186
    Quote:

Have you ever looked at Blu-ray storage specs to burn all those iTunes files. I don't trust HDDs anymore after my LaCie died.

but that's another stor-...ugh, nevermind. I'm taking lunch - you win.
  • Reply 105 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Clive.....you are so right If they release something of a mid-tower then allot of the Hackintosh stuff will go away.

I doubt that very much. There will always be something (else, different, etc.) that people will insist they must have, or something cheaper, or something... People who are hackintoshing either don't want to (or can't) pay for an Apple or won't buy anything that isn't exactly what they want. The hackintosh stuff will never go away while Apple is using the same CPUs as the rest of the PC world. And it probably costs them less to tolerate a certain amount of piracy than to try to cater to 100% of possible customers, so...
  • Reply 106 of 186
    Stores been down for about two friggin' hours! IMPATIENT!
  • Reply 107 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

A BD drive works fine in OSX. It will act like a normal drive and you can even rip blu ray discs. I don't have a BD burner so I can't test burning but I have heard it works.

And as far as I know there is no player software in OSX to actually play blu ray movies though and no support in OSX for the copy protection on the discs.

I've been ripping on a PC. This is good news! Any idea if Handbrake works on OS X (in regards to ripping)?
  • Reply 108 of 186
    Perfect for NAS/small file server.
  • Reply 109 of 186
    The online Stores are down throughout the Planet. Let's wait until the Stores are back up...

• Reply 110 of 186
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Do people STILL hold out for a mini tower?

Lets put that baby to rest.

Its the last thing Apple would ever come out with.

I share your assessment, but others like Geekdad still like to hope. Even though I know it wont happen, I still hope a tiny bit too. The price of a MacPro with a two 24" monitors is a bit daunting.
  • Reply 111 of 186
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

BR not being in the machines has nothing to do with how mainstream it is [ex: iMac w/ USB, MBA w/ no ODD]

BR isn't Apple owned. that's why it's not in the machines, SJ doesn't want to pay out the royalties.

When did Apple own CD and DVD?
  • Reply 112 of 186
    Quote:

wrong. Royalties get passed along to the consumer. BR on a mac would require heavy modifications to iTunes playback. It's all DRM-related - studios demanding this and that. THAT's the bag of hurt. You really think its all about a few bucks in royalties?
  • Reply 113 of 186
    Quote:

yeah, that's an environmentally friendly and inexpensive mirror.

But it's certainly an environmentally friendly joke.
  • Reply 114 of 186
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Ok so now SJ is the Wizard and Santa Claus- anything else?

The Oracle...

The RDF Entity (you must of seen the Trek episode about it)

The All Knowing, all Seeing MahaStevie

Mr. Wonka

The Next American-Idol Judge (shhh don't tell)

Oh yea one more...

His Eminence or just Emm to his inner circle

Okay that should do it.
  • Reply 115 of 186
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

yeah, that's an environmentally friendly and inexpensive mirror.

With the way people bitch about the glass screens on iMacs these days it would be super environmental. If you want to use them as a mirror you wouln't even have to boot them up and turn on the iSight cameras...
  • Reply 116 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

No optical?!?! Well I did read somewhere (maybe here?) that someone was floating a crazy rumor that Apple was going to release a mini with OS X SERVER preinstalled.

Odd but who knows... sure seems like an odd matchup but no more so then a Mac mini with NO optical drive. /shrug

On the contrarary, an ideal small office server. All the server goodness for an office up to probably 15 people for a great price and easy to manage. Competes very nicely with the low end D(H)ell junk and MS Small Biz Server. The small business server niche has been as empty as the tweener desktop niche (tween the iMac and Mac Pro) in the Apple lineup.

If it also has eSATA so you can plug in a fast external RAID array that would be even better. There are MANY thousands of small architecture and graphic design firms that would find this very compelling I think.

Gordon
  • Reply 117 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

I've been ripping on a PC. This is good news! Any idea if Handbrake works on OS X (in regards to ripping)?

I don't know. I don't use handbrake. I still have to do my ripping in windows as well. It's the only way to get lossless DTS MA HD to FLAC without any quality loss whatsoever. I don't re-encode my rips either. I keep the video as is, audio to flac and then merge to an MKV and play on my HTPC. 100% of the audio and video.
  • Reply 118 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Football View Post

If the store isn't back up with new shiny things in ten minutes, I don't know what I'm going to do!

...well, other than continuing to ferociously refresh the page.
  • Reply 119 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

The Oracle...

The RDF Entity (you must of seen the Trek episode about it)

The All Knowing, all Seeing MahaStevie

Mr. Wonka

The Next American-Idol Judge (shhh don't tell)

Oh yea one more...

His Eminence or just Emm to his inner circle

Okay that should do it.

You can't say "Eminence" or Eminem will sue again.
  • Reply 120 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Football View Post

9:00AM PST is coming soon. Patience young Jedi.