Sources reveal part of Apple's new Mac product lineup

Comments

• Reply 81 of 186
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

The suspense is painful! COME ON, FLIP THE SWITCH.

Is SJ the Wizard behind the curtain now?
  • Reply 82 of 186
    Mac Mini without an optical drive? Sounds kinda like an Apple TV, but a 1TB Apple TV at that. If this thing has a HDMI port, then I think it will be really interesting.
  • Reply 83 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

NO crying- just a realist. Blu-ray is having a great year in additon to Apple yet it remains to be seen when it arrives on a Mac.

I think you'll get it. I ordered an external off Newegg yesterday to play with on the Mini in my HT. If it works, I'll post about it.

As to the updates... That's up in the air. The Slot Load BR Drives are out. They are plenty speedie to work well and still allow 24x CD, 8x DVD burn and 16x CD burn. They are however 2-4x BR Read but I think as long as you do bump the machine should be enough to play a movie since most players I looked at (very, very little though) were 2x read.
  • Reply 84 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

DVD at 720p?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Except that DVDs are 480p

Err.... I mean......

I stand corrected.

...I up-convert.

-Clive
  • Reply 85 of 186
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Most likely two 500 GB HDDs.

It will be interesting to see what Apple's solution is for loading software. I doubt you'd want to use the SD card slot on an inkjet printer or something like that.

Probably much the same as the MacBook Air solution.
  • Reply 86 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

So basically anyone who watches movies on their computer would benefit from BlueRay compatibility.

while technically that may be true, Apple isn't catering to the very small percentage of people (outside this forum) who truly want BR on a 21" screen in their bedroom / on their computer. BR isn't mainstream enough (though it's certainly growing) nor is it so unebelievably better on a computer than regular DVD. People simply don't expect / demand that kind of quality on their computer. The fact that BR is available on so many Windows PCs is more of a testament to the "compete on price and useless features" business model the OEM's have resorted to than a testament to the demand for BR on home PCs. Does it sell? Sure, why not? I'm not gonna turn it away if it's offered on a new laptop I'm buying - but it's certainly not a deal-breaker for me. This is how the VAST, VAST majority of people look at Blu-ray.

Please look outside the tech-blog forum universe.
  • Reply 87 of 186
    (Yawns after long nap broken by faint interest in Apple refresh)
  • Reply 87 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

New Mag Safe? Woo Hoo!

The significance is in the wattage.
  • Reply 89 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Clive.....you are so right If they release something of a mid-tower then allot of the Hackintosh stuff will go away.

I would buy a mid tower that I could swap video cards in a second!

As would I. In the meantime i'm enjoying my hackintosh and about to build another. That is unless apple releases something compelling.
  • Reply 90 of 186
    You know that movie "A Christmas Story"... In the beginning when the kids are waiting in front of the store window waiting for the curtain to go up to see the new toys to ask Santa (Amex) for...

That's us right now...
  • Reply 91 of 186
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Clive.....you are so right If they release something of a mid-tower then allot of the Hackintosh stuff will go away.

I would buy a mid tower that I could swap video cards in a second!

But a mid-tower/w monitor would fall somewhere between an iMac and MacPro price-wise. Would that make it to pricey for hackintosh buyers? Or, where do you think a theoretical mid-tower should be priced?
  • Reply 92 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

while technically that may be true, Apple isn't catering to the very small percentage of people (outside this forum) who truly want BR on a 21" screen in their bedroom / on their computer. BR isn't mainstream enough (though it's certainly growing) nor is it so unebelievably better on a computer than regular DVD. People simply don't expect / demand that kind of quality on their computer. The fact that BR is available on so many Windows PCs is more of a testament to the "compete on price and useless features" business model the OEM's have resorted to than a testament to the demand for BR on home PCs. Does it sell? Sure, why not? I'm not gonna turn it away if it's offered on a new laptop I'm buying - but it's certainly not a deal-breaker for me. This is how the VAST, VAST majority of people look at Blu-ray.

Please look outside the tech-blog forum universe.

Have you ever looked at Blu-ray storage specs to burn all those iTunes files. I don't trust HDDs anymore after my LaCie died.
  • Reply 93 of 186
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Hopefully for 20" and 24" iMacs.

Would you be happy with a 21.9" iMac? I'm guessing that's in a 16:9 format, as others have suggested.

Personally, I'm quite interested in the Mac Mini server. I was thinking of getting another ATV, but this would actually fit my needs better. I can then use it for streaming content to my other ATVs and Airport Expresses.
  • Reply 94 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

You know that movie "A Christmas Story"... In the beginning when the kids are waiting in front of the store window waiting for the curtain to go up to see the new toys to ask Santa (Amex) for...

That's us right now...

Ok so now SJ is the Wizard and Santa Claus- anything else?
  • Reply 95 of 186
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

As would I. In the meantime i'm enjoying my hackintosh and about to build another. That is unless apple releases something compelling.

Not to sound pessimistic, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Though, I wouldn't mind a mid-tower either.
  • Reply 96 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Intense View Post

already updated my facebook status that the apple online store is temporarly offline for new updates...

sad
  • Reply 97 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

I think you'll get it. I ordered an external off Newegg yesterday to play with on the Mini in my HT. If it works, I'll post about it.

A BD drive works fine in OSX. It will act like a normal drive and you can even rip blu ray discs. I don't have a BD burner so I can't test burning but I have heard it works.

And as far as I know there is no player software in OSX to actually play blu ray movies though and no support in OSX for the copy protection on the discs.
  • Reply 98 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

16:9 ratio + no blu-ray = worthless

meh ... no blu-ray is not that bad, i don't see what the blu-ray hype is about yet, I see less and less people in my surroundings use CDs/DVDs based media to listen/watch
  • Reply 99 of 186
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Not to sound pessimistic, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Though, I wouldn't mind a mid-tower either.

Do people STILL hold out for a mini tower?

Lets put that baby to rest.

Its the last thing Apple would ever come out with.
  • Reply 100 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post

Mac Mini without an optical drive? Sounds kinda like an Apple TV, but a 1TB Apple TV at that. If this thing has a HDMI port, then I think it will be really interesting.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

After it's hooked up goto SysPref, Display and Choose 1080p or 720p or whatever the Mini finds your TV is capable of. YES, it works.