Droid arrives on Verizon Nov. 6 with Google Maps Navigation

Comments

• Reply 41 of 186
    "Hello...I am a Droid.....and I am an iPhone".
  • Reply 42 of 186
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tiroger View Post

The more I read about the Droid, the more I'm starting to regret my decision to switch to AT&T for the iPhone! I Have to hand it to Verizon; after years of neglecting their phone offering, they're really coming around now and putting out a great looking lineup (on paper at least).

I'm really hoping Apple has something great cooking for iPhone 4.0:

1. The UI is getting a little stale and needs a refresh.

2. Please improve the home screen, or make it somewhat useful! As it stands right now, it's utterly useless. Here's a great concept: http://www.teehanlax.com/blog/?p=1893

3. Notifications really need to be improved, or just allow multitasking already! Right now, if you have more than one set of notifications, it becomes unmanageable with each replacing the other!

4. Come up with a better solution for finding and opening apps. I have 4 pages worth of apps and it's ridiculous having to swipe back and forth all the time!

5. A better mail app is badly needed! I was just settle for a native Gmail app.

So Apple should change a great interface because it's immensely successful, just because it's been around for a couple of years? It's still the easiest to use GUI out there.

The home screen is anything but useless. Why do you talk in such absolutes?. The one you link to has been criticized as being too complex.

Notifications could use some work, though they aren't bad. Multitasking is another issue entirely. I've used the Pre, and it's SLOW. Very slow. And that's with almost the exact same hardware, except for a less powerful GPU. The N97 is also SLOW from that, though it does use the last generation HW. Multitasking is given as a major reason. Multitasking is also given as a reason why Win Mobile phones crash so often. I'd rather Apple wait to get it right.

I have 7 pages of apps, and I'm annoyed at all the swiping too. But as long as you remember the name of a program, using the search works pretty well, much better than the methods used on most other phones. I would like folders though.

What's wrong with Mail? That's one of the best mail apps around.

We've got 8 months to go before 4 comes out. So far, no one has been able to come up with a phone that's as good, much less better. no other phone has managed to sell more than a fraction of the iPhone's numbers, so consumers are not thrilled with them.

The Pre has been a miserable failure. Despite all the glowing reviews, consumers don't seem to like them. The N97, which was supposed to be a serious competitor, has seen disappointing sales, and no others have stepped up yet. No Android phone has yet to sell in serious numbers.

We'll see with the Droid, but how many do they expect to sell? Even if it gets great reviews, that doesn't mean that people will like it.

So far, none of RIMs iPhone competitors has taken off, and the newest high end phone, the Tour, has had so many problems, it's got a 50% return rate, and has really ticked Verizon off. People who hate the Mighty Mouse's little track ball will also be glad to know that the one on the Tour also doesn't work, but it only takes a few days to fail.

Apple has a plan for their devices, which so far, every other manufacturer lacks. They are all trying phones for every different class of person, ensuring that none sell really well.

That's the problem with every other companies phones. They are all so different in hardware features, that the software features don't work properly on all, or don't work at all.

I'd rather stick with Apple and wait for other features than mess with a number of different phones, being disappointed with each after a while, and moving constantly from one to the other every time a new one comes out. a real waste of time and money.
  • Reply 43 of 186
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Actually, I think that trend reversed some time ago and most cars today have gotten taller than they were in, say, the early 90s.

Even women have gotten thicker- just look at Mo'Nique, Anna Nicole, and Jessica Simpson.
  • Reply 44 of 186
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Actually, I think that trend reversed some time ago and most cars today have gotten taller than they were in, say, the early 90s.

Not that I see.
  • Reply 45 of 186
    OK, there's thin, and there's anorexic. This feature is way over-rated in a cell phone. Let's have a business phone with some signal and battery life, and leave the current marketing effort pushing thin to the teenagers. And thanks for listening to my luddite rants.
  • Reply 46 of 186
    OK, provided the popularity of navigation applications, superiority of GOOG map environment and superiority of VZW's coverage, it can't be denied the shot is quite right one; the competition may finally begin now, it's not feature-less Pre on customer-less Sprint anymore.
  • Reply 47 of 186
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

OK, provided the popularity of navigation applications, superiority of GOOG map environment and superiority of VZW's coverage, it can't be denied the shot is quite right one; the competition may finally begin now, it's not feature-less Pre on customer-less Sprint anymore.

And with over 10k apps already, it?s shaping up to be a contender. But I still think that it?ll hurt the other vendors more than the iPhone, despite being compared to the iPhone due to its flagship phone status it seems to be taking at Verizon.
  • Reply 48 of 186
    Just because Apple doesn't allow a third-party app to multitask with another 3rd-party app doesn't mean the iPhone doesn't support multitasking. It does in fact support multitasking.

So, go ahead and while on a phone call hit your home button and go launch another application, any application. It works while you are in the Phone app without quitting the Phone app (shock!). Want to launch your iPod app and listen to it in the background while playing Civilization? No problem there, this mad multitasking iPhone supports it because the iPhone OS supports multitasking.

It amazes me to no end the misinformation spewing about this support for multitasking. I multitask all the time on my iPhone. I'm constantly running Safari to check movie times while talking on the phone or listening to my iPod. Surf/Phone/3rd Party APP all multitask just fine.
  • Reply 49 of 186
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seking View Post

Just because Apple doesn't allow a third-party app to multitask with another 3rd-party app doesn't mean the iPhone doesn't support multitasking. It does in fact support multitasking.

So, go ahead and while on a phone call hit your home button and go launch another application, any application. It works while you are in the Phone app without quitting the Phone app (shock!). Want to launch your iPod app and listen to it in the background while playing Civilization? No problem there, this mad multitasking iPhone supports it because the iPhone OS supports multitasking.

It amazes me to no end the misinformation spewing about this support for multitasking. I multitask all the time on my iPhone. I'm constantly running Safari to check movie times while talking on the phone or listening to my iPod. Surf/Phone/3rd Party APP all multitask just fine.

I think that the people in this thread are very informed and when they say "no multitasking" they're saying "no 3rd party apps multitasking".
  • Reply 50 of 186
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    the heat goes up up up

now you see why board members have left

this is probably the killer app as email was for pc's

navigation is a killer app, SJ knows that and knew of this, it was to be predicted

apple and google will market to their strengths, this will push rim, pre et al to the sidelines

SJ and schmidt knew this as well, this is the double hammer that will push aside MS, rim etc

there is room for 3 formats, iphone, android, and "the rest" fight over 3rd place.

this is putting nails in the coffin of stand alone gps systems as we have all known would happen

people want a convergence device

NOW, if google can get a synchronizing solution to compete with mobleme, then android will push iphone back a bit THE BIG IF---IF verizon and other carriers will not block or cripple the phones ability as they have done in the past

so who do you think is sweating now???

also, it won't take long for iphone to do this "for competitive reasons" this will be used to convince apps developers that "iphone needs this to compete and grow"

nav will be the new loss leader....iphone and android win
  • Reply 51 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And with over 10k apps already, it’s shaping up to be a contender. But I still think that it’ll hurt the other vendors more than the iPhone, despite being compared to the iPhone due to its flagship phone status it seems to be taking at Verizon.

No. It's not likely Droid's gonna trigger the iPhone fall. Yet, VZW simply have more customers. BB are in their niche, they're not gonna be much impacted, too.
  • Reply 52 of 186
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I agree. I think Android is going to be akin to Amazon music service. A distant number two behind iTunes that mostly takes from everyone else. I think Windows Mobile and Nokia are going to get it the worst.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And with over 10k apps already, it?s shaping up to be a contender. But I still think that it?ll hurt the other vendors more than the iPhone, despite being compared to the iPhone due to its flagship phone status it seems to be taking at Verizon.

• Reply 53 of 186
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    LMAO! Check this out guys:

http://www.google.com/finance?chdnp=...AQ:GRMN&ntsp=0

The power of Google
  • Reply 54 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

The power of Google

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3AGOOG

The power of Google? I think a lot of companies are going down in NASDAQ today
  • Reply 55 of 186
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3AGOOG

The power of Google? I think a lot of companies are going down in NASDAQ today

Umm, Google is down less than 2%. The NASDAQ is down 2.4%. The Dow is up a little less than a point.

Garmin is down 16%

TomTom is down: 21%

You do the math...
  • Reply 56 of 186
    Quote:

Umm, Google is down less than 2%. The NASDAQ is down 2.4%. The Dow is up a little less than a point.

Garmin is down 16%

TomTom is down: 21%

You do the math...

Yep, you're right, I don't know what I was reading. I need a break
  • Reply 57 of 186
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The news also coincided with the unveiling of Google's free Maps Navigation service, which will be a part of all Android 2.0 devices.

It looks to me like Apple saw this coming and explains why Apple bought Placebase.
  • Reply 58 of 186
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I've seen others say the iPhone UI needs a refresh. But they never give a good reason why. Do you want a refresh to make the UI more useful or do you want something new just to have something new?

The concept tiroger link to is interesting even if its not really practical in every day use. I can agree that Apple needs to continue to refine the UI as the use of the iPhone is growing more complex.

I can agree there needs to be some improved way of accessing hundreds of apps. And faster easier way of accessing information and feeds within the apps. From that standpoint I can agree with the UI concepts tiroger linked to.

At the same time Apple will take their time in making these improvements to make sure they work well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tiroger View Post

1. The UI is getting a little stale and needs a refresh.

2. Please improve the home screen, or make it somewhat useful! As it stands right now, it's utterly useless. Here's a great concept: http://www.teehanlax.com/blog/?p=1893

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The home screen is anything but useless. Why do you talk in such absolutes?. The one you link to has been criticized as being too complex.

I have 7 pages of apps, and I'm annoyed at all the swiping too. But as long as you remember the name of a program, using the search works pretty well, much better than the methods used on most other phones. I would like folders though.

• Reply 59 of 186
    Quote:

The power of Google

How do you compete with 'free'? A question more and more companies are going to be asking themselves as Google expands upon their services.
  • Reply 60 of 186
    iDon't think I want one.

/