Droid arrives on Verizon Nov. 6 with Google Maps Navigation

Comments

• Reply 81 of 186
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Couldnt they just take out Verizon Logo from the front. Who sees that? The user....I think he/she already know that they have a Verizon phone.

So retarded!
  • Reply 82 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Couldnt they just take out Verizon Logo from the front. Who sees that? The user....I think he/she already know that they have a Verizon phone.

So retarded!

Where as the larger, shiny Apple logo on the back of the iPhone is not a problem? (True, there's no AT&T logo, but it would have been there if Apple let them.)

I'd rather see NO logos by anyone. This will never happen.
  • Reply 83 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, hopefully, Apple will be replacing the built-in Maps app with their own app, shortly.

I don't think Apple plans on building their own so long as google will work with them, they really can't offer anything to beat the street view turn by turn.

If Google decides their app is only for Android they could do that, but then Apple should be able to still license their maps & street view. That'd be just like them though to take google's concept & really make it wicked cool.
  • Reply 84 of 186
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Where as the larger, shiny Apple logo on the back of the iPhone is not a problem? (True, there's no AT&T logo, but it would have been there if Apple let them.)

I'd rather see NO logos by anyone. This will never happen.

I agree with you --- the whole world knows that you are using the Apple iPhone. Don't need that Apple logo on the back of the iPhone.
  • Reply 85 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

So retarded!

I was thinking the same thing! (At least, they could have put it on the back like Apple did, so that others could see it).
  • Reply 86 of 186
    Quote:

See above. Every view of a corporate logo is a step - perhaps tiny, but nonetheless a step - toward potential sale. Which is why it makes no sense to put it in the front.
  • Reply 87 of 186
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The carrier getting a name on the front is from the old days where the brand of phone mattered less than the carrier. Now that that's becoming less important, it will change.

But I don't mind a manufacturers logo. Everything has them.

My father in law would never allow a car dealer to put their own logo on any of his cars. He used to say that he didn't see why the store that sold him a product should have their name on it. They didn't make it.

But now, with more and more of these phones copying the way the iPhone looks, the manufacturers logo is fine.
  • Reply 88 of 186
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Lucasfilm has copywrites on pretty much all the Star Wars character names, Skywalker and Darth Vader. It prevents people from using them to ride the success of Star Wars without Lucasfilm permission.

Quote:

My lame comment isn't about the choice of the name Droid, but the fact that George Lucas copyrighted it. Though, I guess many people when they hear "Droid" would think of the little tripod blue and white beeping thing. I dunno, I just think its stupid that particular name is copyrighted.

• Reply 89 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Hey, what works for Apple , works for Verizon. One is the largest music distributor control freak and one is the largest cell phone carrier control freak.

So what part of the music does Apple, in your words,

so freakishly control?
  • Reply 90 of 186
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Lucasfilm has copywrites on pretty much all the Star Wars character names, Skywalker and Darth Vader. It prevents people from using them to ride the success of Star Wars without Lucasfilm permission.

Also, some of the George Lucas empire uses those names as corporate names, like Skywalker Sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skywalker_Sound
  • Reply 91 of 186
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    This is going to be a hard decision to make.

The iPhone is the better phone but AT&T has the worse service and at my home almost no service. In addition our whole family is on Verizon.

The Android phone looks like it may be really good phone and it's on Verizon who I've been with for more than 15 years.

So do switch and go with the iPhone, get a Droid (would need to fine a good program to sync Android to a Mac) and wait for the iPhone to come to Verizon or stick with my V710 and wait till next June.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.
  • Reply 92 of 186
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    With the Star Wars meme in full flight, surely...

As ObiWan said to the iPhone user, "this is not the droid you are looking for"
  • Reply 93 of 186
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Look at how the height of cars has gone down over the decades, even though taller cars are more comfortable in every way.

I don't think that's true at all. In fact, many cars have gotten taller. I recently went car shopping and I was surprised at how much space they are squeezing out of the subcompact and compact classes by making the cars taller. So unless you have facts on that, I am going to have to call BS.

However, vehicle height drastically affects aerodynamics (hence fuel efficiency) at highway speeds. Example: Honda's low-end offering, the Fit, is a subcompact that is quite tall and has more headroom than the Civic, a somewhat larger model. The negative is that you end up getting slightly better highway mileage on a Civic, which BTW has a larger engine and is heavier. But it's a good trade off since the Fit is billed as a city car and we are only talking 1 or 2 mpg difference anyway.
  • Reply 94 of 186
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

I don't think that's true at all. In fact, many cars have gotten taller. I recently went car shopping and I was surprised at how much space they are squeezing out of the subcompact and compact classes by making the cars taller. So unless you have facts on that, I am going to have to call BS.

However, vehicle height drastically affects aerodynamics (hence fuel efficiency) at highway speeds. Example: Honda's low-end offering, the Fit, is a subcompact that is quite tall and has more headroom than the Civic, a somewhat larger model. The negative is that you end up getting slightly better highway mileage on a Civic, which BTW has a larger engine and is heavier. But it's a good trade off since the Fit is billed as a city car and we are only talking 1 or 2 mpg difference anyway.

The only cars I've seen getting taller are minivans and four wheel drive vehicles of any kind, because that adds some height to the mechanism. Otherwise, no.
  • Reply 95 of 186
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

Taller cars would be news to me. There are very few newish cars that I don't have to slouch or lean the seat way back in, and I'm not even that tall. I think subcompacts look taller because they reduced the length and width dimensions.
  • Reply 96 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

This is going to be a hard decision to make.

The iPhone is the better phone but AT&T has the worse service and at my home almost no service. In addition our whole family is on Verizon.

The Android phone looks like it may be really good phone and it's on Verizon who I've been with for more than 15 years.

So do switch and go with the iPhone, get a Droid (would need to fine a good program to sync Android to a Mac) and wait for the iPhone to come to Verizon or stick with my V710 and wait till next June.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Here's my question to you. The phone hasn't really been reviewed by any of the major sites, much less the average user. How do you know that the iPhone is the "better" phone of the two for you personally?

I'm a bit annoyed with people do this when they haven't had the chance to actually use the other device. Let it go on sale, play with it, and then if it's truly worse, then it's worse.
  • Reply 97 of 186
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    [CENTER]10 Most Compelling Reasons To Ditch My iPhone/AT&T and Go With Moto Droid/Verizon:[/CENTER]

1. Android 2.0 is 100% Open Source and includes 100% FREE turn-by-turn Navigation.

2. The Moto Droid has not one, but two LED flashes, making for very good low-light shooting.

3. The Moto Droid/Android 2.0 does actual multi-tasking of the apps of MY choice.

4. Android 2.0 supports full GUI customization and supports live widgets (rather than mere apps).

5. The Moto Droid capacitive display is 480 x 854, some 2.69 times that on the iPhone.

6. The Moto Droid gives me the choice of using either the hardware or virtual keyboard.

7. The Moto Droid allows capacity upgrades via an expansion slot not an entirely new phone.

8. Media files are added via Drag N' Drop in Android 2.0. no need for 'confining' media software.

9. Testing has shown Moto Droid battery autonomy to be some 6 hours talk, and it's removable.

10 The Verizon network is widely heralded for its outstanding service/coverage. Critical for ANY phone.

Hmm?

Looks like the ONLY compelling reason to stay with the iPhone would be for those 85k + (low resolution) apps, and for me that's just not enough to continue supporting inferior hardware/software on a substandard network.
  • Reply 98 of 186
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]10 Most Compelling Reasons To Ditch My iPhone/AT&T and Go With Moto Droid/Verizon:[/CENTER]

Or wait til November, 3. I think that Sony Ericsson presents the Xperia Android

If Droid and Xperia come to Europe unlocked for 500-600 ? I will be very tempted.
  • Reply 99 of 186
    I have just bought CoPilot in the UK - awesome. This Google nav looks good, but I am often driving where there is only GPRS signal, or no signal at all, so an glad to have the maps on my iPhone rather than struggling to download them ...
  • Reply 100 of 186
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[…]Looks like the ONLY compelling reason to stay with the iPhone would be for those 85k + (low resolution) apps, and for me that's just not enough to continue supporting inferior hardware/software on a substandard network.

That may be your only reason, but I can find a lot of reasons why the iPhone OS, apps and HW suits my needs better than any Android-based phone.