Droid arrives on Verizon Nov. 6 with Google Maps Navigation

Comments

• Reply 121 of 186
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

One thing's certain - At least we have some idea of when the Droid/Android 2.0 WILL support Flash, which is far more than one can say about the alternative choice.

iF A PRODUCT DOESN?T FIT YOUR NEEDS THEN DON?T BUY IT, BUT SAYING THAT IT SHOU;DN?T FIT ANYONE ELSE?S NEEDS IS PATHETIC.

I don?t want Flash on my phone. I won?t be able to stream Netlfix or Hulu on Flash on such a slow device and it will use too much battery. I?d rather have them build a proper app that uses HTTP Streaming. Flash has no upside for me. If it comes to the iPhone, then so be it, I?ll be turning it off.

Quote:

And have you considered that the Droid is only marginally slower loading the page yet is supporting some 2.6 times the pixel/resolution of the iPhone?

And how is that going to help me if it?s slower and uses more power? You want more features and more impressive tech specs but you don?t seem to look at how these affect other things.
  • Reply 122 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Yes, a simple page load doesn't mean nothing.

Another thing, screen aspect ratio in the Droid is very disturbing when I'm used to 3:2 aspect ratio

I?ll have to handle one to be sure, but the extra size and squared off design like it was built by Russians during the Cold War makes it look too large to be comfortable. The Pre is too small. The iPhone feels just right.
  • Reply 123 of 186
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:

Ein? I was talking about changing carrier withouth having to change terminal technology.

Which shiny objects?

No, you said that you have "more choices" --- but what kind of choices are they when all the prices are fixed.
  • Reply 124 of 186
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

Yes, a simple page load doesn't mean nothing.

Another thing, screen aspect ratio in the Droid is very disturbing when I'm used to 3:2 aspect ratio

Hmm?

From my vantage point a display resolution of 854 x 480 pixels is not 'disturbing' in the least, just vastly superior to one of a mere 320 x 480.

But Hey! That's just me
  • Reply 125 of 186
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

No, you said that you have "more choices" --- but what kind of choices are they when all the prices are fixed.

No, the prices are not fixed. The link you have post it's not about price fixing, it's about raising prices after regulating call billing. It was changed from rounding to the upper minute to having to account only the second you use and the all the companies raised their price per second but they don't have the same price.

At Movistar I was payiing 0.18 ?/min, now I'm paying 0.08?/min.

Quote:

Hmm?

From my vantage point a display resolution of 854 x 480 pixels is not 'disturbing' in the least, just vastly superior to one of a mere 320 x 480.

But Hey! That's just me

Mmm, I'm not talking about which screen is better, I'm talking about screen aspect ratios.
  • Reply 126 of 186
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t want Flash on my phone. I won?t be able to stream Netlfix or Hulu on Flash on such a slow device and it will use too much battery. I?d rather have them build a proper app that uses HTTP Streaming. Flash has no upside for me. If it comes to the iPhone, then so be it, I?ll be turning it off.

I want flash if I can disable it and use it only when I need
  • Reply 127 of 186
    Quote:

iF A PRODUCT DOESN?T FIT YOUR NEEDS THEN DON?T BUY IT, BUT SAYING THAT IT SHOU;DN?T FIT ANYONE ELSE?S NEEDS IS PATHETIC.

And how is that going to help me if it?s slower and uses more power? You want more features and more impressive tech specs but you don?t seem to look at how these affect other things.

Testing has found the Droid to successfully attain over 6 hours+ before requiring a recharge, which is far better than my iPhone 3GS (by more than 1.5 hours) even though my iPhone lacks (user defined) multi-tasking, and a display supporting some 2.69 times the screen resolution.

As stated before, even if the Droid were to require a charge, at least one has the option of 'popping' in a fresh battery in a couple of seconds - No Problem.

As far as your claim of the Droid being 'slower', you obviously have yet to read any of the reviews regarding the Droid's performance, so I'll just leave you to believe whatever makes you feel comfortable (regardless of it validity).
  • Reply 128 of 186
    Quote:

Testing has found the Droid to successfully attain over 6 hours+ before requiring a recharge, which is far better than my iPhone 3GS (by more than 1.5 hours) even though my iPhone lacks (user defined) multi-tasking, and a display supporting some 2.69 times the screen resolution.

As stated before, even if the Droid were to require a charge, at least one has the option of 'popping' in a fresh battery in a couple of seconds - No Problem.

As far as your claim of the Droid being 'slower', you obviously have yet to read any of the reviews regarding the Droid's performance, so I'll just leave you to believe whatever makes you feel comfortable (regardless of it validity).

1) 6 hours of what? 3G talk time? CDMA always wins that because voice is always over CDMA(2G) not EVDO. Droid has 10% less standby time. We?ll see how it fares in internet, video and audio usage soon enough. I wish it luck.

2) Few people by extra batteries, but you can easily plug in new battery to the iPhone if you are one of the few. I use a Mophie Juice Pack Air because I am one of those users but I?d rather have that than the alternative. Probably still lighter and smaller than Droid but with more

3) I never claimed that the Droid was slower. I pointed out that the video test (which the iPhone by the way) was flawed for several reasons deeming it comparison.
  • Reply 129 of 186
    Quote:

iF A PRODUCT DOESN’T FIT YOUR NEEDS THEN DON’T BUY IT, BUT SAYING THAT IT SHOU;DN’T FIT ANYONE ELSE’S NEEDS IS PATHETIC.

So is the restriction of features. As you said, you wouldn't bother using flash - but at least customers like DaHarder would be able to were the option included. Which we know it won't. Providing Apple were to implement it so you could turn it off - I'd say go for it! They are all about conserving battery life these days!

Also:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/07/n...kills-on-video
  • Reply 130 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

So is the restriction of features. As you said, you wouldn't bother using flash - but at least customers like DaHarder would be able to were the option included. Which we know it won't. Providing Apple were to implement it so you could turn it off - I'd say they are all about conserving battery life these days!

Apple isn’t constricting Adobe. Adobe has done this to themselves. If it’s Apple’s fault, then how did they magically keep Android, Pre, Blackberry and every other mobile OS from having a real verison of Flash installed? How did Apple make Adobe push the first releases back to some magical time in 2010? How can any of that be Apple’s fault?

If anything, the success of the iPhone and lack of support for an antiquated version of Flash for crappy browsers that couldn’t render a simple webpage correctly has set a fire under Adobe’s ass. Thank Apple for getting Adobe serious about Flash feasible for mobile devices. If Flash gets popular on these devices and they can streaming from sites like Hulu working then you can bet that Apple will have to follow suit because then, and only then, will Flash be a feature that may pull customers away from the iPhone.

PS: it’s about Mozilla got Fennec working but they may have missed the boat now that WebKit is the default choice over so many internet ready phones.
  • Reply 131 of 186
    Quote:

Apple isn?t constricting Adobe. Adobe has done this to themselves. If it?s Apple?s fault, then how did they magically keep Android, Pre, Blackberry and every other mobile OS from having a real verison of Flash installed? How did Apple make Adobe push the first releases back to some magical time in 2010? How can any of that be Apple?s fault?

If anything, the success of the iPhone and lack of support for an antiquated version of Flash for crappy browsers that couldn?t render a simple webpage correctly has set a fire under Adobe?s ass. Thank Apple for getting Adobe serious about Flash feasible for mobile devices. If Flash gets popular on these devices and they can streaming from sites like Hulu working then you can bet that Apple will have to follow suit because then, and only then, will Flash be a feature that may pull customers away from the iPhone.

PS: it?s about Mozilla got Fennec working but they may have missed the boat now that WebKit is the default choice over so many internet ready phones.

I wasn't talking about Apple, I was talking about you. Just because you don't want flash doesn't mean others shouldn't have the option of using it on their iPhones. Regardless of the realities of the situation (which you touched upon above) if people want additional features on the iPhone that won't affect me, they're welcome to it.

To chip in my $0.02, I doubt Flash will come to the iPhone at all. It conflicts with the both the app store and H.264 and an open internet. Is the App store big enough for people to forget about flash-less browsing? Probably.
  • Reply 132 of 186
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Can I download media content wirelessly with the Droid?

Like movies and tv shows?

edit:

nevermind!

"The Droid doesn't even have access to Verizon's V Cast media network"
  • Reply 133 of 186
    Quote:

Apple isn?t constricting Adobe. Adobe has done this to themselves. If it?s Apple?s fault, then how did they magically keep Android, Pre, Blackberry and every other mobile OS from having a real verison of Flash installed? How did Apple make Adobe push the first releases back to some magical time in 2010? How can any of that be Apple?s fault?

If anything, the success of the iPhone and lack of support for an antiquated version of Flash for crappy browsers that couldn?t render a simple webpage correctly has set a fire under Adobe?s ass. Thank Apple for getting Adobe serious about Flash feasible for mobile devices. If Flash gets popular on these devices and they can streaming from sites like Hulu working then you can bet that Apple will have to follow suit because then, and only then, will Flash be a feature that may pull customers away from the iPhone.

PS: it?s about Mozilla got Fennec working but they may have missed the boat now that WebKit is the default choice over so many internet ready phones.

Apparently you're oblivious to the fact that there are many smartphones that support browser-level Flash. Pretty much ANY Windows Mobile device does Flash via the Skyfire browser.

As for your constant ranting about 'streaming' video - streaming video is possible on almost any phone, but is essentially made moot when one can receive live video broadcast (no Wifi required) on phones like the HTC Imagio with better video quality, and far less battery drain.
  • Reply 134 of 186
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

To chip in my $0.02, I doubt Flash will come to the iPhone at all. It conflicts with the both the app store and H.264 and an open internet. Is the App store big enough for people to forget about flash-less browsing? Probably.

I doubt it will either... personally, I think flash stinks.
  • Reply 135 of 186
    Quote:

I wasn't talking about Apple, I was talking about you. Just because you don't want flash doesn't mean others shouldn't have the option of using it on their iPhones.

I said as much. Where exactly did I state that Flash shouldn?t be on the iPhone simply because I don?t want it? I never speak in those terms. I talk about what works for me, and technical, political and financial reasons why something may or may not happen in the tech world.
  • Reply 136 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Can I download media content wirelessly with the Droid?

Like movies and tv shows?

edit:

nevermind!

"The Droid doesn't even have access to Verizon's V Cast media network"

... and that's one omission that I welcome, though I do hope that V Cast TV (Live) appears as an app at some point.

It's brilliant!
  • Reply 137 of 186
    Quote:

Apparently you're oblivious to the fact that there are many smartphones that support browser-level Flash.

Cool, which ones play Hulu shows in 480p?
  • Reply 138 of 186
    Quote:

Cool, which ones play Hulu shows in 480p?

Certianly NOT the iPhone...
  • Reply 139 of 186
    Quote:

Certianly NOT the iPhone...

You imply that there phones that can do decent Flash video , get me all excited for the one thing I want Flash for and then you having nothing to back it up.

PS: Is it okay that the iPhone works for me? Is it okay that the iPhone is best solution for my mobile computing to date? I have no problem with you not using the iPhone or any other Apple product. I’ve reading and analysing the Droid articles all day specifically I am interested in tech and know that ONE PRODUCT DOES NOT FIT ALL.
  • Reply 140 of 186
    Quote:

You imply that there phones that can do Hulu 480p video , get me all excited for the one thing I want Flash for and then you having nothing to back it up.

FACT: No Such Implication Made