Droid arrives on Verizon Nov. 6 with Google Maps Navigation

Comments

• Reply 101 of 186
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The only cars I've seen getting taller are minivans and four wheel drive vehicles of any kind, because that adds some height to the mechanism. Otherwise, no.

Also in Europe.
  • Reply 102 of 186
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Why is not as intuitive as the iPhone?

I too find these 'not as intuitive as the iPhone' declarations a bit strange... especially given that those making such claims have yet to even use the Moto Droid/Adroid 2.0.
  • Reply 103 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That may be your only reason, but I can find a lot of reasons why the iPhone OS, apps and HW suits my needs better than any Android-based phone.

Yes...
  • Reply 104 of 186
    Quote:

That may be your only reason, but I can find a lot of reasons why the iPhone OS, apps and HW trumps Droid.

So, actualy is only a personal decision. Weighting pros and cons and choosing the best phone/carrier.

Curiosity: It is so heterogeneus the mobile phone system in USA? Meaning if you live in one zone you have signal from one carrier or from other?

I'm so used to have HSDPA signal in almost every point (also in metro and train tunnels) in Spain and Italy that I can catch how can be different.
  • Reply 105 of 186
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    The competition is heating up... Good!

Unfortunately, in my opinion, they all pale in comparison to my iPhone.
  • Reply 106 of 186
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The only cars I've seen getting taller are minivans and four wheel drive vehicles of any kind, because that adds some height to the mechanism. Otherwise, no.

But the cars are getting bigger. Honda Accord used to be classified as a mid size car, but now it is classified as a full size family sedan. Bigger car, longer leg room --- you redesign the seats a little bit --- you don't need the car to get taller to get comfortable.
  • Reply 107 of 186
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Curiosity: It is so heterogeneus the mobile phone system in USA? Meaning if you live in one zone you have signal from one carrier or from other?

Sure, just not everywhere. the 850Mhz spectrum is causing trouble for AT&T in buildings, but they are moving to 700Mhz. Then you have to accept that the US is much larger than most developed countries and well spread out. Getting high speed data to every part won?t happen in my lifetime without sat phones. Highways and trains usually have good data rates except for some really long desolate stretches. It really varies, and the fractured network system between CDMA, GSM and T-Mobile USA?s wonky 3G data frequency doesn?t help.
  • Reply 108 of 186
    Quote:

So, actualy is only a personal decision. Weighting pros and cons and choosing the best phone/carrier.

I'm so used to have HSDPA signal in almost every point (also in metro and train tunnels) in Spain and Italy that I can catch how can be different.

It is not about heterogeneus phone systems --- it is really about regional spectrum licensing and formerly regional landline incumbents.

Other countries have one spectrum 3G license for the whole country, the FCC can divide the same spectrum spaces into a million piece for auctioning. If you don't own a spectrum license in this state, then you don't have a network in that state. That's why the iphone is not available in certain states because AT&T doesn't have a spectrum license in those states.

Also, Verizon is a landline provider in the north eastern US. AT&T is a landline provider in southern US. So naturally, Verizon being the local landline provider in New York --- will have more equipment, more cell towers, more of everything in New York city. T-Mobile in Germany is the top dog. T-Mobile in UK is a small dog.
  • Reply 109 of 186
    Quote:

Sure, just not everywhere. the 850Mhz spectrum is causing trouble for AT&T in buildings, but they are moving to 700Mhz. Then you have to accept that the US is much larger than most developed countries and well spread out. Getting high speed data to every part won?t happen in my lifetime without sat phones. Highways and trains usually have good data rates except for some really long desolate stretches. It really varies, and the fractured network system between CDMA, GSM and T-Mobile USA?s wonky 3G data frequency doesn?t help.

Yeah, I think we have more choices because if we don't like a carrier we can change to another withouth changing the terminal. Here, if the phone it's subsidized you can unlock it paying a fee or waiting til the end of the contract and then go to another carrier.

My needs are very special, I doesn't use so many cal minutes (this month I have 30 call minutes) but I use data a lot so I'm with a virtual carrier without minimun call minutes (I pay 0.08 ?/min) and if I use less than a GB of data I pay only 5?.

The bills after changing from the official iPhone carrier to this one has changed from 40? to 8-10?.
  • Reply 110 of 186
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Taller cars would be news to me. There are very few newish cars that I don't have to slouch or lean the seat way back in, and I'm not even that tall. I think subcompacts look taller because they reduced the length and width dimensions.

I still call BS unless quantitative data is forthcoming. I don't know how old you guys/gals are but I am ancient and have driven Hondas (Datsuns (now Nissan) and other cars back in the 60s and 70s and you'd be basically sitting on the floor to get adequate headroom. That applies to many American cars as well.

Now go step inside a Honda Fit. It has a ginormous interior. I bet a 6'4" person would have no problem in it and it is a subcompact!

But anyway, These are all opinions (including mine, I admit) but I being a Honda owner for many years, those cars have definitely gotten taller. If you (or anyone) has some link or numbers to prove your hypothesis, I will gladly stand corrected.
  • Reply 111 of 186
    Some sites about the Droid. Comparisons to iPhone, too.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/m...irst-hands-on/

http://www.billshrink.com/blog/total...rsus-palm-pre/

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with the Droid v. iPhone browser speed test?
  • Reply 112 of 186
    Quote:

? http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/m...irst-hands-on/

? http://www.billshrink.com/blog/total...rsus-palm-pre/

Cached images?
  • Reply 113 of 186
    Quote:

? http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/m...irst-hands-on/

? http://www.billshrink.com/blog/total...rsus-palm-pre/

Why Yes...

It's clear that the Droid browser is loading what appears to be a Flash object in the upper right-hand corner of the page, whereas the iPhone is not (which might account for the load-speed difference).

What's most striking in this comparison is how fast and smooth the Droid scrolled through the page once it was loaded - WOW!

FLASH... Now that what I'm taking about, and it has been promised for the Droid OS within the next 12 weeks.
  • Reply 114 of 186
    Quote:

Yeah, I think we have more choices because if we don't like a carrier we can change to another withouth changing the terminal. Here, if the phone it's subsidized you can unlock it paying a fee or waiting til the end of the contract and then go to another carrier.

My needs are very special, I doesn't use so many cal minutes (this month I have 30 call minutes) but I use data a lot so I'm with a virtual carrier without minimun call minutes (I pay 0.08 ?/min) and if I use less than a GB of data I pay only 5?.

The bills after changing from the official iPhone carrier to this one has changed from 40? to 8-10?.

Another person that is blinded by shiny objects. You can't go elsewhere with your cell phone in Spain because all the major mobile carriers collude on price fixing.

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/32208.php
  • Reply 115 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Do you mean free as in "beer" or free as in "anyone can jump off a cliff"?

Neither. More like 'free if you don't value your privacy'. Plenty of people don't, which I'm fine with. I've always been a cider man anyway

Solipsism, don't think there was anything wrong with the test. The iPhone browsing experience is awesome although it could do with quicker scrolling like the Droid (it's quite annoying when you accidentally touch the top of the screen and have to scroll all the way back down again) and fading out the bottom menu (web pages can look cramped at times - increase the screen estate please!).
  • Reply 116 of 186
    Quote:

Cached images?

mayeb, they said the cache is cleared, but the history is still there. I would have started with a clean phone. Who knows what else was running in the back that the fresh Droid was not. There is also the differences in network bandwidth in various places.

They should have done a bunch of speed tests to see what the average and up speed. down speed and latency are for each network at that approx. time.

The test shows the Android 2.0 browser renders and scrolls well (wish i could increase my scroll duration on the iPhone), but the other results are ambiguous.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Why Yes...

It's clear that the Droid browser is loading what appears to be a Flash object in the upper right-hand corner of the page

There you have it, you’ve admitted that the iPhone is faster and therefore better because it isn’t loading Flash ads.

Seriously, people have been bitching about no Flash since the original ARM11 iPhone and no real Flash available that can play video or even load most of those cheesy splash pages. Now we have Android and they STILL won’t have Flash available until 2010. Sounds like Adobe has really dropped the ball.
  • Reply 117 of 186
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

I still call BS unless quantitative data is forthcoming. I don't know how old you guys/gals are but I am ancient and have driven Hondas (Datsuns (now Nissan) and other cars back in the 60s and 70s and you'd be basically sitting on the floor to get adequate headroom. That applies to many American cars as well.

Now go step inside a Honda Fit. It has a ginormous interior. I bet a 6'4" person would have no problem in it and it is a subcompact!

But anyway, These are all opinions (including mine, I admit) but I being a Honda owner for many years, those cars have definitely gotten taller. If you (or anyone) has some link or numbers to prove your hypothesis, I will gladly stand corrected.

It is cyclical and import vs domestic also matters, imports have traditionally been smaller than domestics, but steadily closing the gap, hence the growth you see. Cars in the 50's were massive. Imports in the 70's and early 80's were tiny. Cars of the late 80's were boats. The 90's brought "streamlined" designs with lower roofs, and this last decade has been all over the place.

What do you want to consider as the base case? A late 80's Chevy Caprice or Ford Crown Victoria, or a 1970's Japanese import? The "trend" will be completely different. All I know is that the average sedan definitely gives me problems.
  • Reply 118 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Another person that is blinded by shiny objects. You can't go elsewhere with your cell phone in Spain because all the major mobile carriers collude on price fixing.

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/32208.php

Ein? I was talking about changing carrier withouth having to change terminal technology.

Which shiny objects?
  • Reply 119 of 186
    Quote:

There you have it, you’ve admitted that the iPhone is faster and therefore better because it isn’t loading Flash ads.

Talking about 'stretching' the truth to try to make (whatever might be) your point.

There was absolutlely no such admission/claim in my reply -

One thing's certain - At least we have some idea of when the Droid/Android 2.0 WILL support Flash, which is far more than one can say about the alternative choice.

And have you considered that the Droid is only marginally slower loading the page yet is supporting some 2.6 times the pixel/resolution of the iPhone?
  • Reply 120 of 186
    Quote:

mayeb, they said the cache is cleared, but the history is still there. I would have started with a clean phone. Who knows what else was running in the back that the fresh Droid was not. There is also the differences in network bandwidth in various places.

Yes, a simple page load doesn't mean nothing.

Another thing, screen aspect ratio in the Droid is very disturbing when I'm used to 3:2 aspect ratio