Nintendo profits freefall as iPhone cuts into portable game sales

Comments

• Reply 41 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

Today's article in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2009/...profits&st=cse

Certainly you're not suggesting the NY Times gets it's information from AI?

And I would hope you aren't basing your argument off of one line in the article. The rest talks about pressure from the PSP and Sony. Yes, Apple has cut in to the DS sales, but only a little bit; no where as big as this AI article makes it out like.
  • Reply 42 of 204
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

So what's AIs source?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucination
  • Reply 43 of 204
    Quote:

Nintendo's profits fell from 133 billion yen a year prior to 64 billion yen , or $709 million, last quarter. Those losses, in part, were attributed to increased competition, including Apple's iPhone.

Prove that part of the losses weren't due to competition from the iPhone/iPod Touch.

The impact of the iPhone and iPod Touch was already acknowledged by Nintendo in their previous quarterly report!

I swear, fanboys are the worst!!!

The slant of this article and its title would have you believe that Nintendo's profits are down solely because of the iPhone/Touch which is absolutely untrue. The article you keep linking to every opportunity you can points out several other factors that had much larger affects on profit. Let me quote a few for you:

Quote:

A sharp fall in global sales of Nintendo's popular Wii console and a less dramatic slowdown in sales of the portable DS pushed down the company's sales and profits in the April to June quarter, the company said on Thursday.

Or how about this nugget:

Quote:

In addition to the lower unit sales Nintendo was also hit by the Japanese yen, which has strengthened against both the U.S. dollar and euro since the April to June quarter of last year. The strong yen increases the price of its products that are made in Japan and also reduces the value of sales and profits made overseas when that money is returned to Japan.

Please learn to think for yourself.
  • Reply 44 of 204
    Quote:

Part of it reads:

LOL, then what's AI's source?

Anyway, it's pretty ludicrous to suggest Nintendo isn't facing competition from Apple in this area.

Both are handhelds. Both do games. Why get a DS when you've got great iPod/iPhone games plus the App Store?

Done.
  • Reply 45 of 204
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

And I would hope you aren't basing your argument off of one line in the article. The rest talks about pressure from the PSP and Sony. Yes, Apple has cut in to the DS sales, but only a little bit; no where as big as this AI article makes it out like.

Sales decline of Wii: 42% + 25% price cut

Sales decline of DS: 14%

Stronger yen, recession

But for AI Apple is the main cutter here
  • Reply 46 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

I swear, fanboys are the worst!!!

The slant of this article and its title would have you believe that Nintendo's profits are down solely because of the iPhone/Touch which is absolutely untrue. The article you keep linking to every opportunity you can points out several other factors that had much larger affects on profit. Let me quote a few for you:

Or how about this nugget:

Please learn to think for yourself.

Apple is still a factor. Nintendo is facing increased compeition in this area. The industry has acknowledged it.

Done.

I don't need to thnk for myself when we have facts on hand, and COMMON SENSE, which doesn't require a lot of thought.
  • Reply 47 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

However, to say that the Touch has had no impact on DS sales is like saying the iPhone has had no impact on iPod sales.

Maybe it did or maybe it didn't. At this point it's difficult to determine the cause without any further numbers and thorough market analysis.

Quote:

If a kid has to choose one or the other, it’s possible that many will choose the Touch since it can do gmes, though not as robustly or as well, but has many other features to it.

Games and brands sell consoles and if I had to take a guess I'd say that Nintendo is in a much better position with it strong, children-oriented brands like Pokemon.

Ninja edit Sigma:

Gwydion's explanation for the decline of Nintendo's profit sounds more sensible to me.
  • Reply 48 of 204
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

LOL, then what's AI's source?

Anyway, it's pretty ludicrous to suggest Nintendo isn't facing competition from Apple in this area.

Both are handhelds. Both do games. Why get a DS when you've got great iPod/iPhone games plus the App Store?

Done.

What is ludicrous is suggesting that the main factor are iPod Touch and iPhones.

But, hey, you're the one who see the real situation, isn't?

My God, people like you is the people who makes fanboy a real word.
  • Reply 49 of 204
    Quote:

I don't need to thnk for myself..

Quote of the day...thanks for making me laugh...
  • Reply 50 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Quote of the day...thanks for making me laugh...

Na, I think the money quote was:

Quote:

and COMMON SENSE, which doesn't require a lot of thought.

Since I'm having an academic background it actually scares me each time that there are people in the western world which still cling to so-called common sense.
  • Reply 51 of 204
    Quote:

I don't need to thnk for myself when we have facts on hand, and COMMON SENSE, which doesn't require a lot of thought.

Comments like this scare me. Even when you think you have the "facts", regardless if you are right or wrong, you should always question them. Common sense is good and all, but not the end all, not by a long shot. Its a good place to start, yes. Question everything around you to come up with your own facts of how the world works.

You NEED to think for yourself, regardless.
  • Reply 52 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

DS sales drop from 13.7 to 11.7 and is in this drop where Apple could have been a factor but the primary factor is saturation.

Exactly. The DS has sold 114 million units world-wide. Also, let's face it, the iPhone is for casual gaming. Gamers wanting longer, more complex games will still turn to the DS and/or PSP. If you were to tell any non-casual gamer they could only pick one handheld for *playing games*, I would be very surprised if any of them would choose the iPhone.
  • Reply 53 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

Since I'm having an academic background

I hope you at least bought it supper first
  • Reply 54 of 204
    This has a lot less to do with Apple and way more to do with Nintendo not updating their hardware. My son can't stand the iPhone "virtual" controls, and there's no Mario or Lego games on the iPhone. Not to mention the DS games are a better deal over the long run, since my son has been playing a $20 game for six months, but the iPhone games I have bought for him have about 5 hours of gameplay before he's seen all the game has to offer. All his friends have DS and they play together, something the iPhone/iPod really can't compete with (since there aren't a lot of kid multiplayer games, and Apple doesn't have close to the market saturation of the DS among kids). However, I'm sure Nintendo lost some adult marketshare (the "Brain Age" buyers) to people casually playing on their iPhones.
  • Reply 55 of 204
    Quote:

Ouch! That is about 20% worse than I predicted for Nintendo. Unless Nintendo builds a competitive PMP into their handheld gaming device and/or the next "must have" game I have to wonder if this DSi LL will also be a failure.

Nintendo DS games and for that matter Wii games are fairly expensive compared to the graphics quality and gameplay. However they are still well beyond anything you can get on a Touch or iPhone via the Apps store. The big difference is you can get a game for 1.99 compared to 40.00 at the Apps Store and some of the games are pretty fun even if they are fairly simple.

Overall handhelds like te PSP and DS are weak due to the lack of new titles, this is even more so with the PSP. I believe that is whats really hurting the handheld market.

I buy games for my iPod touch but I don't see them as compteting against games I would find interesting on the DS. The DS and PSP are really failing do the lack on content.
  • Reply 56 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

I hope you at least bought it supper first

Grammar nazi anybody? I'm not a native English speaker and I don't really check my sentences for grammar and orthography when posting on AI. It's not really worth my time. Still, thank you for your contribution to the topic at hand...wait a sec...
  • Reply 57 of 204
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

... What I find most odd is that prior to the iPhone v3.0 announcement officially allowing the 30-pin access we had two companies who worked up demos of D-pads for Apple’s devices. What happened to them?...

The only one I've heard about (and keep hearing about every month or so), is the iControlPad, which is pretty much exactly what the old-school gamers want but so far they have decided to go "underground."

In other words, they claim to be making the device and appear to be about to sell it, but they pointedly don't want to legally license the 30-pin access from Apple (last I heard). This is apparently because most of the devices supporters and it's potential market consist of jail-breakers and IP thieves etc.

The games that are popular on the iPhone platform in the store are all designed to work well on the touch based controls. Most of the games that need the physical controls are retro ports or run through emulators all of which are illegal.

So they are kind of stuck in that the market for the device consists primarily of people who want to do stuff that Apple and the companies that own the IP will never approve of. The people that own the rights to the old games are not likely to make their own 30-pin hardware add-ons because it merely emphasises the lameness of their product. They are much more likely to release an iPhone emulator product like the Commodore 64 thing, or to port their old games to the new platform directly to collect new sales. The people that want to play their old retro games on the iPhone with the iControlPad, mostly don't want to pay for them.

It's possible that the makers of iControlPad might eventually get together with or be bought out by the owners of the IP I suppose.
  • Reply 58 of 204
    Quote:

I don't need to thnk for myself

I would say thats pretty clear to all of us. I have never seen anyone take such pleasure in seeing other companies have a rough patch. It much be a Canadian thing. Funny how when AI posts something like Apple going to Verizon or Windows 7 being a good product the review is BS. But when they post something you like its total scripture.
  • Reply 59 of 204
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    AI is not cheerleading.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/afx/2009...fx7060690.html

David Dolan and Yumi Horie of Reuters wrote the article. They wrote:

"Nintendo's portable game machine, the DS, also faces increasing competition from Apple Inc's iPhone, which has become a popular platform for handheld games."

Also here,

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/0...ch_us_nintendo
  • Reply 60 of 204
    Quote:

Sorry, I missed your article. This particular Reuters news item suffers from the same deficit like the last one (which the NYT actually only paraphrased): It's completely unclear how this claim came to be. It lacks any kind of reference, even a questionable one. The author of the news item just drops this sentence without any context. Therefore it sounds to me like interpretation on the authors parts.

Quote:

With the recent economic downturn and the decline of most newspapers it wouldn't actually surprise me of it did.